Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 4990330 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #10600 on: January 11, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
-I was so happy with yesterday's dinner. We didn't have enough leftovers for a full meal for everyone. So, I turned the taco meat into cheesey taco quesadillas for the kids. My husband had tortellini from an open package in the fridge, plus the remains of a takeout chicken from Saturday date night. I finished off the leftover kebabs & most of the rice. The kids surprised me with how much they ate, so I found a hot dog in the fridge & they split that. (We also had a big salad with dinner, and fruit for dessert, so it wasn't quite the nutritional wasteland it might sound like). Basically, used up all of the fridge leftovers, save for a small amount of rice, and some yogurt sauce. Winning! I love it when you can use up all of the bits & bobs that are never quite enough for a meal.

-However, date night on Saturday means I didn't do my standard weekend cooking (typically only cook full meals on Friday/Saturday/Sunday, and then we eat leftovers during the work week). So, tonight will be something from the freezer.

-Other than that, bumped up my monthly mortgage payment by $10/month (I know, I'm not supposed to pay off the mortgage early), but I got all excited about considering the possibilities.

-Sold & mailed 4 items on eBay. Cleared around $5, so huge money. ;-)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10601 on: January 11, 2018, 01:58:06 PM »
-I was so happy with yesterday's dinner. We didn't have enough leftovers for a full meal for everyone. So, I turned the taco meat into cheesey taco quesadillas for the kids. My husband had tortellini from an open package in the fridge, plus the remains of a takeout chicken from Saturday date night. I finished off the leftover kebabs & most of the rice. The kids surprised me with how much they ate, so I found a hot dog in the fridge & they split that. (We also had a big salad with dinner, and fruit for dessert, so it wasn't quite the nutritional wasteland it might sound like). Basically, used up all of the fridge leftovers, save for a small amount of rice, and some yogurt sauce. Winning! I love it when you can use up all of the bits & bobs that are never quite enough for a meal.

-However, date night on Saturday means I didn't do my standard weekend cooking (typically only cook full meals on Friday/Saturday/Sunday, and then we eat leftovers during the work week). So, tonight will be something from the freezer.

-Other than that, bumped up my monthly mortgage payment by $10/month (I know, I'm not supposed to pay off the mortgage early), but I got all excited about considering the possibilities.

I like you.

This post is both awesome and funny.

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10602 on: January 11, 2018, 02:33:41 PM »
- I was successful yesterday in getting the $25 refund at the post office. Now I need to find some time to get to the bank and deposit it. Cash has a tendency to go missing around here...

- I saved myself $105 by closely reading the reviews on a floor lamp I saw online and then not buying it.

- Registered a recent purchase and checked on the statuses of past price rewinds. Should be getting $60 back from furniture purchases at the end of the month.

- Talked my husband out of ordering DVR service for a savings of $10/month. We had it at our old place, but cable there was included in the rent so $10 so we could record our shows are reasonable. Now to convince him we don't need cable AND netflix AND amazon video. Especially since he wanted to look into moviepass which would be $20/month for us. ( I'm doing my best here.)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10603 on: January 11, 2018, 04:37:05 PM »

I like you.

This post is both awesome and funny.

This post is one of the highlights of my day. LOVE all of the awesome people & their continuous ideas that inspire me.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #10604 on: January 12, 2018, 12:05:25 PM »
Committed to staying home all day today.  So far I've painted, done laundry, dishes, walked the dogs twice, and changed the bed sheets.  I have plans yet to paint some more, finish more laundry, clean the bathroom and vacuum the apartment.  I also have a couple mending projects I'm hoping to finish.  No gas used or money spent for me today!

Last night I made 35.00 off of two sales of unused items around the apartment.  I'm down to only a few small items that are currently listed and the items at the house that are being used for staging or care of the yard currently.  I've cleaned out the rest of the stock to sell...which is motivating me to find some other side hustle options for the next couple of months.  We downsized from 1700 square feet into 650...so we have sold thousands of dollars worth of items so far...

On our walks I found 13 cents.

I reused a cellophane bag from a christmas gift basket in the bathroom trash can.

I'm wearing warm clothes, slippers and running the space heater to avoid running the main furnace.

Breakfast was coffee with milk and honey.  Lunch was a single baking potato, bought on sale, cubed and fried in olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper.  Serve with ketchup and its better than a plate full of fries... declicious, cheap, and whole food based too.

Used leftover rice and some chicken stock to bribe my pup into eating some food this morning (current meds are stealing her appetite -- just a couple more days on them!)

Hoping to continue my productiveness into tonight and tomorrow :)

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10605 on: January 12, 2018, 12:22:11 PM »
I haven't bought lunch at work all year! I made one mammoth pan of baked ziti (aka pasta bake) Sunday, and got four lunches and three dinners out of it so far. There's at least two lunches worth of it in the freezer for next week. Last night I made tuna noodle casserole for dinner with planned leftovers for lunch today and a lunch for next week in the freezer. I'm hoping I can keep this up but maybe eventually find some different things to make.

Mrs Hen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10606 on: January 12, 2018, 12:51:36 PM »
Well, it really didn't feel like saving money when the total came up in the supermarket today, BUT...

- I now have enough (discounted) porridge oats to last the rest of the winter.
- I won't have to buy toilet paper for a long time - stocked up while its on offer.
- freezer is stocked with meat from offers.
- huge pot of minestrone soup has been made from reduced veggies.
- I'll be batch baking tomorrow with the rest, which should get me at least 12 more meals in the freezer.

I don't plan on spending any more this month apart from milk and maybe some more fresh veg, so plenty of no spend days to come.

Thanks for all the nice comments and continued inspiration. Holding myself "accountable" to this thread is really keeping me on track.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10607 on: January 12, 2018, 04:08:15 PM »
Yesterday: made a double batch of chicken teriyaki in the slow cooker and a big batch of vegan chilli on the stove top. Mr Happier has an insane month coming up at work, so the more we can eat from the freezer, the less we will resort to takeaway.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10608 on: January 12, 2018, 05:45:14 PM »
Nice job, Mrs. Hen!  Great work.  :)

Yes, nice work, Mrs Hen!

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10609 on: January 12, 2018, 06:40:26 PM »
I took kid to the library after work/daycare as a way of apologizing for an emotional outburst that I made this morning. We got 5 movies to watch over the long weekend.

Came home after an hour & used frozen ground beef, tomatoes canned from our garden & garlic in the fridge to make spaghetti sauce in the instant pot for dinner. Ate sauce over basmati brown rice made with turkey stock.

Playing with son & watching Jack & the Cuckoo clock heart from the library this evening. Great Friday night after a long work week!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10610 on: January 12, 2018, 07:15:52 PM »
-Breakfast & lunch from the freezer (worked from home, no free work food)
-Sold 2 items on eBay for $40! If you'd asked me a few months ago if we had anything left to sell on eBay, you'd have gotten a firm "no". And yet, there are so many things!
-Used a Redbox code I saw on slickdeals for a free movie rental for tonight. The kids chose ("Captain Underpants" - oh boy), but we are having movie night, with air popped popcorn. Doesn't get more frugal than that.
-Dinner was a freezer dish for myself & the husband. Kids made themselves wraps for dinner, out of fridge/freezer ingredients.
-Discovered that the ski area we're planning on going to in February has free passes for 5th graders! They only give out a limited number, but I happen to have a 5th grader, so I registered. That will save $40 off of the cost of our trip. The trip has already been scaled down from a three day trip to Tahoe, so excited to find another way to save on the day trip. Sidenote - there's still not enough snow at this ski area. :-( Fingers crossed it will snow before ski break in February.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10611 on: January 12, 2018, 09:08:38 PM »
We got a warm spell here, so I walked the long scenic bird-filled route to the supermarket and stocked up on sale-price bacon and a pork shoulder roast. Tempted by some marked down bowls but realized I don't need them.

Working my way through the cheap grocery items I brought back from Toronto after Christmas (what, doesn't everyone transport lard across provincial boundaries?).

Went to work late and came home regular time, so I needed only snacks at work, rather than a full meal.

Didn't turn the heat on for the day until I got home from work.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10612 on: January 13, 2018, 02:13:12 AM »
Yesterday, shopped at Aldi right after work instead of the expensive grocery store in my own town. Trying to make a new habit out of this. Asked for the receipt to get my pricebook up to date.
This week: gave away a bunch of buttons, some clothes and bodylotion, and got back a mirror and an excellent desk chair. Not a penny exchanged hands.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #10613 on: January 13, 2018, 03:00:23 AM »
Found cheap cat crystals for kitty litter at the Reject Shop. $9 for a 10 litre bag. So we got 3 bags.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #10614 on: January 13, 2018, 07:46:23 AM »
Stitched a backpack strap tight that was starting to separate.  It wasn't as hard as I thought, although I did break a needle in the process.

Stitched a patch onto the inside of a bed sheet to prevent further tearing. 

Got up and made french toast from a loaf of french bread out of the freezer instead of going out for waffles.  DH had been in the habit of convincing me approximately once a month to go out on Saturday morning, meaning 20ish dollars for the two of us to eat waffles and drink someone else's coffee.  I have used the same loaf of 0.78 cent french bread from the freezer for 3 weeks now, and I think I have one more week out of it.  I just thaw the night before on the counter, slice off 6 slices and pop it back into the freezer for the next time.  A couple of eggs, vanilla, splash of milk and real maple syrup makes for a way, way better (and cheaper!) breakfast IMHO.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #10615 on: January 13, 2018, 11:19:17 AM »
The insoles in my new boots felt weird, so I was going to buy new insoles.  Then I remembered that I had a pair of running shoes in the To Donate box; pulled them out and swapped the insoles.  Now my new boots are perfect, and who knows, maybe the other insoles will be better for whoever ends up with the running shoes.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #10616 on: January 13, 2018, 02:14:26 PM »
Went out for dinner and a movie with my husband and made $5.

Our local cinema had a special of $100 for a book of 10 tickets. I bought one. Use 2 for the movie $22.70. (Stupid online booking fee.)

Brought popcorn from home. About 60c. Bought a drink and choccies from the supermarket instead of the cinema. $5.90.

Walked to the restaurant I had been gifted a voucher for. It's the most expensive restaurant in the area so we rarely go there. The voucher was for $250 so we ordered things we wouldn't normally get like bread, desserts and cocktails. The total came to $200. They gave us the balance in cash.

Taxi home cost $15. (FIL gave us a lift there and free babysitting for the night)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10617 on: January 13, 2018, 03:50:11 PM »
-Found super cheap cauliflower & stocked up. Anything less than $3/head here is great in the winter.

-Used a gift card to buy a whole chicken. Roasting my first ever chicken tonight! Tried my first turkey breast over Thanksgiving, and was planning to get another one, but the store didn't have the turkey & the whole chickens were $.88/lb. I've never bought one, so assuming this is a good/decent price? I will roast over veggies, and then use the leftover chicken for dinner tomorrow, and the veggies/chicken in a soup on Monday.

-Made pistachio/cashew butter out of stale nuts that had been sitting in the pantry for too long. I haven't tried it yet, but the husband says it's incredible.

-Made cranberry muffins for quick breakfast options

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10618 on: January 13, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »
Buy oven roaster chickens like 6-8lbs or more and have the butcher butterfly them. Place on a rack on a flat baking pan sprinkle spices and bake in oven. Put onion and celery under rack.  Look up Spatchcock chicken on internet for instructions. Comes out perfect every time and delicious. If you can and the chickens are on sale, hoard up on them. Freeze them flat in plastic and foil. Hub and I have made them a ton of times and they are AWESOME!

OH, and tell the butcher you want the backbone, neck and innards like heart, liver and gizzards. You can make broth with the bones and if you don't want to eat the innards, feed them to your cat or dog. If you don't ask the butcher for this stuff, they will keep it. No idea if they sell it or chuck it but you are paying for it!

88 cents a lb is a GREAT price!

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10619 on: January 13, 2018, 04:54:44 PM »
It was raining here yesterday and when I pulled out the umbrella from the back of my car I had a flashback from when I first obtained the umbrella....a golf tournament in 1986. Didn't save money TODAY but I may NEVER buy another umbrella ever again.

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10620 on: January 13, 2018, 05:30:23 PM »
We got a warm spell here, so I walked the long scenic bird-filled route to the supermarket and stocked up on sale-price bacon and a pork shoulder roast. Tempted by some marked down bowls but realized I don't need them.

Working my way through the cheap grocery items I brought back from Toronto after Christmas (what, doesn't everyone transport lard across provincial boundaries?).

You got better weather than we did - it was 10, but pouring.  Now we have many cm of snow and it is super cold.

Around here it is not lard, it is booze - we bring stuff back from the SAQ, and the Quebeckers hit up the LCBO.  ;-)  What kind of lard?  All I ever see in the stores is Tenderflake, and it is ubiquitous.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10621 on: January 13, 2018, 06:13:06 PM »
Buy oven roaster chickens like 6-8lbs or more and have the butcher butterfly them. Place on a rack on a flat baking pan sprinkle spices and bake in oven. Put onion and celery under rack.  Look up Spatchcock chicken on internet for instructions. Comes out perfect every time and delicious. If you can and the chickens are on sale, hoard up on them. Freeze them flat in plastic and foil. Hub and I have made them a ton of times and they are AWESOME!

OH, and tell the butcher you want the backbone, neck and innards like heart, liver and gizzards. You can make broth with the bones and if you don't want to eat the innards, feed them to your cat or dog. If you don't ask the butcher for this stuff, they will keep it. No idea if they sell it or chuck it but you are paying for it!

Chicken soup sounds amazing right now. Unfortunately I came down with what I believe is influenza. But I guess I'm saving money by having contracted it over the long weekend, so hopefully no lost work.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #10622 on: January 13, 2018, 07:44:17 PM »
Wanted to meet up with friends, went for a walk with the doggies instead of going out.

Lunch and dinner from the fridge and pantry.

Craving a cozy night in, so we're renting Goonies on Google Play for $3.99. (I suppose pirating would be cheaper, but I feel strongly about paying for the entertainment we consume. Still way cheaper than going out to the movies! Also, the no people is a huge bonus. :D)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10623 on: January 13, 2018, 08:29:05 PM »

Chicken was delish, but the veggies I had under got over cooked/started to burn. I'll have to tweak the cooking time. I did 425 for 90 minutes. I may go back for a couple of other chickens - I have room & would like to roast the other two over the weekend while I have some extra time.

SimpleCycle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10624 on: January 13, 2018, 09:43:04 PM »
Took a friend up on her offer to babysit and went out to dinner with a friend.  Restaurant owners are clients of hers so dinner was free, we just took care of tip.

Took public transportation to the restaurant, saving $5-$10 compared to an Uber.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10625 on: January 13, 2018, 10:08:24 PM »

My goal this year is to bring in money each month through a side hustle. For January, I took pics and posted a few things I had to sell on Gumtree/local sales sites. Have been putting it off as I hate the hassle. Sold something straightaway for $15, cash in hand!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10626 on: January 14, 2018, 05:48:33 AM »

Chicken was delish, but the veggies I had under got over cooked/started to burn. I'll have to tweak the cooking time. I did 425 for 90 minutes. I may go back for a couple of other chickens - I have room & would like to roast the other two over the weekend while I have some extra time.

As I recall, we cook our Spatchcock chicken 450 degrees for 80 minutes exactly and it comes out perfect every time. The only veggies we cook are celery and onion under the chicken which is really only for flavoring it during the cooking process. My Hub puts a coffee/herb rub on the exterior on the chicken too. He may put some olive oil on the skin to hold the herbs/rub on. Seems no matter what size oven roaster we cook, it comes out perfect every time. Sometimes he puts lemon pepper on the skin or Cajun spice. No rules here, even salt and pepper! If the chicken is very small, this temp and time might not work. We usually buy around 8 lb chickens. By the time you debone it you don't end up with tons of meat.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10627 on: January 14, 2018, 07:57:30 AM »
@Roadrunner53 - thanks for the tips! I followed the Ina Garten recipe, and it had more roasted veggies. I think my oven cooks a little hot, so I'll try for a slightly lower cooking time, and chop the veggies bigger to reduce the burn factor. (The ones that were almost burned were the smaller pieces.)

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #10628 on: January 14, 2018, 01:12:22 PM »
I reviewed my bank accounts, and shifted money around to hit the minimums ($4000 and $2000) to waive the monthly bank fees ($15.95 and $3.95!)

(Good for now, though I will need to do some more digging because the only reason I had that much in a savings account was because I'm anticipating a big tax bill... normally I would have invested that cash. Not entirely sold on the emergency fund concept while I'm a DINK and have easy access to short term/no interest loans and my emergency fund could be making me money in non-taxable accounts.)

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #10629 on: January 14, 2018, 01:35:02 PM »
Used vouchers gifted to me for a store I rarely shop at because it's stupidly expensive. End of year stocktake sales = 40% off sheets. So I replaced my sheets that had literally disintegrated in parts with fancy new ones for free and I still have vouchers left.

I needed to replace the kids school lunchboxes and drink bottles. Local supermarket had them on sale. Drink bottles were half price and lunch boxes 30% off. I had to buy them regardless as school goes back in a week so the discount makes me happy.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10630 on: January 14, 2018, 01:47:15 PM »
Did lots of cooking/baking today:

-Turned yesterday's roasted chicken bones into lots of broth for the freezer. Enough broth that I had to play freezer Jenga to get everything stored
-Made a loaf of homemade bread for sandwiches
-Used more cranberries in a loaf of cranberry orange bread. I juiced a few mandarins, and didn't have enough orange juice, and the recipe was too dry to properly mix. Subbed pomegranate juice, which we already had in the fridge. Bread is delish, and not very sweet, which my husband will love.
-Made everyone breakfast & lunch at home, and will be prepping dinner once I get home from soccer. Will use part of the roasted chicken in my favorite dishes - chicken fiesta rice skillet, or something like that. Will make homemade guac to go with it.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10631 on: January 14, 2018, 02:00:47 PM »
- Made healthy breakfast muffins from oatmeal, peanut butter and banana. The banana I used was overripe, so if I hadn't used it today, tomorrow it would have gone to waste. I have 12 breakfast muffins, which is enough for the whole week.
- Made a large batch of pasta sauce from things I already had in the pantry. I ate a big portion at 5.30 and I'm still full at 10 pm.
- Sent s/o off to work an evening shift with sauerkraut & mashed potato leftovers from yesterday.
- He's working tomorrow night as well, I'll eat the leftover pasta and he will eat leftovers from the freezer.
- Worked on a scrap quilt tonight while watching documentaries on youtube.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10632 on: January 14, 2018, 02:50:28 PM »
I need chicken breasts for tonight's dinner, but only had a whole chicken in the freezer. I decided to thaw that and try cutting it into parts rather than buying chicken breasts, which was easier than I expected! I put the breasts in the crockpot with the rest of dinner, cooked the leg quarters separately to shred and freeze, and used the carcass to make stock.

I started parking my car in the garage again to avoid needing to start it early to warm up on particularly cold days. It's very nice to be able to get directly into the car and not need gloves!

The whole family has started eating oats for breakfast most mornings as a low-cost breakfast option. My toddler son eats an alarming amount of food for his size, so even homemade yogurt and granola was starting to add up.

I started our tax return in TurboTax, and elected to reenter all our personal information rather than pay $30 for the privilege of saving less than 10 minutes by importing it from last year's return.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:52:42 PM by frooglepoodle »

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10633 on: January 14, 2018, 03:50:14 PM »
Sun at last, so hung two loads of laundry out. Will be raining the rest of the week, so needed to seize the moment.

Organized self-harvested seeds for next year's flowers and veggies.

Rescued a sad houseplant from freecycle from imminent demise. Let's see if I can conjure it back to its full glory.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10634 on: January 14, 2018, 04:10:31 PM »
Made banana bread with the kids with some black bananas. 

Went to the food markets yesterday just as they were closing at 5 pm and bought fish, veggies and fruit for cheap.  Froze the fish.

Met a friend with kids the same ages as mine at the park so that the kids could play and we could chat rather than going for a drink or a meal.

Trifele

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10635 on: January 14, 2018, 04:14:55 PM »
DH has a favorite flannel shirt which has developed a hole after many years.  Online today I saw that this same flannel shirt was on sale, and I almost bought him a replacement shirt.  At the last moment I decided to try to patch his old shirt instead.  I had to go out today anyway, so I stopped by the fabric store.  In their scrap bin I found a very close match for the shirt pattern.  It was a small scrap and cost me only $0.70. Score!  Now we'll see how the repair looks.  I'm not very good at sewing . . . But I figure it's worth a try.

Catbert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10636 on: January 14, 2018, 05:32:13 PM »
Sold two unwanted Christmas gifts on Nextdoor.com:  a citrus juicer ($15) and a Echo Dot ($20). 

I was particularly happy with the Echo Dot sale.  A woman bought it for her autistic son.  She said he used one over the holidays at a relative's home.  It got him to speak and work on his diction/pronunciation so that it would play his favorite music.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10637 on: January 14, 2018, 06:04:34 PM »
I was particularly happy with the Echo Dot sale.  A woman bought it for her autistic son.  She said he used one over the holidays at a relative's home.  It got him to speak and work on his diction/pronunciation so that it would play his favorite music.

Oh, how great! I have a Google Home that I got as a freebie, I wonder if I can find someone who could use it therapeutically. I was just going to put it on eBay.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10638 on: January 14, 2018, 07:52:41 PM »

Oh, how great! I have a Google Home that I got as a freebie, I wonder if I can find someone who could use it therapeutically. I was just going to put it on eBay.

I also have one, so will see if I can find some place to donate it!

SimpleCycle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10639 on: January 14, 2018, 08:11:45 PM »
Compared unit prices on shampoo at Costco, and ended up getting the fancier shampoo because it was less expensive

Decided not to buy frozen muffins made with vegetables and made my own pumpkin carrot zucchini muffins when I got home.  Zucchini was on sale at Aldi this week so I had some on hand.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10640 on: January 15, 2018, 01:02:16 AM »
Walked to work today. And will walk back home again. Saving diesel.

In the weekend I made an apple cake from leftover apples from the office.

blinx7

• Bristles
« Reply #10641 on: January 15, 2018, 07:19:44 AM »
Entertained at home. Kept heat low at night.  Replaced an incandescent bulb with an LED one.  Made super-on-sale pork chops and ate leftover rice and veggies.  Made breakfast at home.  Played on internet (finance blogs) for personal entertainment. 

StarBright

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10642 on: January 15, 2018, 08:19:11 AM »
Looked at the very detailed schedule of what is included with our "Y" membership and found that we have reciprocal membership at a JCC that has a huge, weekly indoor bouncy house event with several different bounce structures.

When the weather is too cold to spend time outside (basically once it gets in the negatives), we have been shelling out 12 bucks a kid for bounce time at Monkey Joes - now we can go someplace for "free" and get basically the same thing!

Pays to read the boring details in the back of the membership book.

Sun Hat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10643 on: January 15, 2018, 09:28:15 AM »
Both my home insurance and phone plans were up for renewal, so I called and got $12/mo reduction on my home insurance (loyalty discount + increase in deductable), and $10/mo reduction on my cellphone bill. Not bad for 10 min spent in my pajamas!

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #10644 on: January 15, 2018, 11:29:52 AM »
-- Its a federal holiday, so both of us are off of work today.  DH also does freelance work for several clients on the side, so he scheduled work with clients for today instead -- getting paid while getting paid ;)

-- It snowed an inch or so and our rural MO town can't clear it well, so DH took my car instead of his own for safety of driving.  I had plans to pick up groceries and painting supplies, but instead sent him with a very detailed list to pick up in between appointments.  I also sent him with a thermos of coffee and a lunch so he would be good no matter how long he was out.  No take out and gas used from only one vehicle instead of two.

-- Since I am stuck at home, I walked the dogs for 45 minutes (they love snow), cleaned the bathroom, and am doing laundry.  I had some potatoes that I bought half off that were going soft, so i fried up one to eat for lunch and I roasted to pans full of the rest.  They are divided into 3 sides for DH's lunches, one big container to be heated up as a side for dinner sometime this week, and 2 containers that are enough for a full lunch for me. 

-- Trying to cut down on electrical useage, so I keep turning off lights, opening drapes, turning off DH's computer screen when not in use, and trying to limit the drying to the bare minimum.  I also put on slippers rather than turning on the space heater in the living room.

-- Spent some down time getting a few swagbucks.

-- Making meatloaf at home tonight, and then probably painting (for me) and working on a drop shipping based business site (DH).

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10645 on: January 15, 2018, 12:26:03 PM »
Yesterday I made bread from starch with ingredients I had at home as well as cooked up some kale/rice/bean bowls for the week. I'll have the bread for breakfast (toast) and the kale bowls for lunch or dinner. Also made my daily latte at home. Another no spend day in the books.

Tonight I may try to make my own Lemon Larabars :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10646 on: January 15, 2018, 12:55:29 PM »
Yesterday I made bread from starch with ingredients I had at home as well as cooked up some kale/rice/bean bowls for the week. I'll have the bread for breakfast (toast) and the kale bowls for lunch or dinner. Also made my daily latte at home. Another no spend day in the books.

Tonight I may try to make my own Lemon Larabars :)

If you find a good recipe, please share!

Here's what we've done so far:
-Mailed two packages (eBay), making around $40 on the sales
-Drove our electric car on all errands
-Worked out outside (running), so no need for a gym
-Made frittatas for my older son to take as quick breakfasts in the morning
-Making homemade dinner rolls now for tonight, to go with our soup
-Froze the rest of the chicken bones/skin, for use in a second batch of broth
-All meals eaten at home today
-Sent a follow up email to someone who owes me $190

Oh, and cleaning our own house. This is a recent change, and I don't hate it. Although, I do sort of put it off, by dreaming up other things I can make in the kitchen, and then "run out of time".

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10647 on: January 15, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »

I love this.

The only person I know with a Google Home just uses it for weather updates, so this anecdote makes me feel much more positive towards them.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10648 on: January 15, 2018, 04:11:23 PM »
Sent back a christmas present I didn't want. Net $468. Win.

Lichen

• Bristles
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #10649 on: January 15, 2018, 04:53:43 PM »
Resumed our spending fast today, since we are back from our trip. The small things I managed to do:

* Did yoga at home then went for a walk to enjoy the rare sunshine.

* Caught up on homework while listening to free Spotify.

* Making scratch rolls and a potato-cauliflower soup from items in the fridge and pantry.

* Whipped up some chickpea salad for mine and DS1's school lunches.

* Noticed a weird $60 charge for the GPS thing on the final receipt from the rental car place. I specifically turned down the GPS because it is 2018 and I have a smartphone. Made a call and got the amount credited back.

* Cut DS1's hair. This saves him money, not me, but I'm counting it anyway!

* going to kick back with a library book for the rest of the afternoon/evening and avoid my family. I need alone time to recharge after our trip #introvertproblems!