Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020977 times)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #10600 on: January 25, 2018, 07:02:34 AM »
We also had breakfast for dinner last night, though it was planned. I tweaked my usual waffle recipe to for a 50/50 mix of milk and whey strained from homemade yogurt (makes the milk last longer and helps use up the whey) and made a homemade cranberry pancake syrup since we were out of maple syrup.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10601 on: January 25, 2018, 11:01:06 AM »
We had a lot of costs this month (expected and unexpected) so we've decided to do an extra frugal month to make up for it. We have a €120 grocery budget that we're going to stick to and eat all the food from our pantry and fridge. We're also going to sell some stuff and try to work some overtime.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10602 on: January 25, 2018, 01:38:39 PM »
Normal, but especially successful today.  I got the laundry washed quickly enough that it got enough freeze drying time outside then warm up time inside that the sheets were dry by bedtime. Fresh sheets! And I get to put the furniture back in order instead of in laundry drying set up. Happiness.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10603 on: January 25, 2018, 02:10:29 PM »
For the past few days:
-No meals out. All dinners at home, and lunches either packed (kids) or eaten for free at work (adults)
-Charged electric car for free. In January, I've gotten 570 miles for free using the charging.
-Emailed about a bad package of chicken we purchased. Getting a full refund ($22). In the past, would have done nothing & just been out the money.
-Continue to work through all of my clearance purchased teas. Even though none of them are my favorite. I ran out of my favorite a month or so ago, and promised myself I'd drink all of the remaining tea before buying more.

I'm also entering Thursday with my desired fridge state. We make all of our meals on weekends, and then serve leftovers during the work week. Sometimes we have too much, and there are bits & bobs in the fridge. As of today, we've eaten everything but a few pieces of chicken, which will go into chicken tacos for tonight. I love looking in the fridge at the end of the week & not seeing 10 small containers of random things. I know, I'm crazy!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10604 on: January 25, 2018, 04:20:01 PM »
For the past few days:
-No meals out. All dinners at home, and lunches either packed (kids) or eaten for free at work (adults)
-Charged electric car for free. In January, I've gotten 570 miles for free using the charging.
-Emailed about a bad package of chicken we purchased. Getting a full refund ($22). In the past, would have done nothing & just been out the money.
-Continue to work through all of my clearance purchased teas. Even though none of them are my favorite. I ran out of my favorite a month or so ago, and promised myself I'd drink all of the remaining tea before buying more.

I'm also entering Thursday with my desired fridge state. We make all of our meals on weekends, and then serve leftovers during the work week. Sometimes we have too much, and there are bits & bobs in the fridge. As of today, we've eaten everything but a few pieces of chicken, which will go into chicken tacos for tonight. I love looking in the fridge at the end of the week & not seeing 10 small containers of random things. I know, I'm crazy!

No! You are not nuts! My Hub and I cook a lot at home and we end up with gobs of leftovers. For the most part, we use them all up. Sometimes we make such huge casseroles, that we are tired of eating it day after day but for the most part we eat most of what we cook. I find it very sad when I open the fridge and there is hardly any leftovers to play with! We really plan our food leftovers! Some people are so picky and wouldn't think of eating leftovers. They are the losers, some leftovers taste better than from first day!

On another note, I have a friend who is so fussy about food it makes me NUTS! She hates just about everything. When she goes to a restaurant she doesn't like this or that and most of the items on the menu she hates. OMG! I am adventurous and will eat a lot of stuff. Not worms or beetles or anything like that. But real food. This friend of mine lives in a small bubble and all foods outside that bubble are gross to her. She makes me NUTS! She hates shrimp but will eat lobster but that took her about 45 years to try. OMG! Now she can't afford it!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10605 on: January 25, 2018, 04:33:13 PM »
For the past few days:

No! You are not nuts! My Hub and I cook a lot at home and we end up with gobs of leftovers. For the most part, we use them all up. Sometimes we make such huge casseroles, that we are tired of eating it day after day but for the most part we eat most of what we cook. I find it very sad when I open the fridge and there is hardly any leftovers to play with! We really plan our food leftovers! Some people are so picky and wouldn't think of eating leftovers. They are the losers, some leftovers taste better than from first day!

On another note, I have a friend who is so fussy about food it makes me NUTS! She hates just about everything. When she goes to a restaurant she doesn't like this or that and most of the items on the menu she hates. OMG! I am adventurous and will eat a lot of stuff. Not worms or beetles or anything like that. But real food. This friend of mine lives in a small bubble and all foods outside that bubble are gross to her. She makes me NUTS! She hates shrimp but will eat lobster but that took her about 45 years to try. OMG! Now she can't afford it!

I try to plan for everything, so we minimize food waste. It's not always perfect, but we do pretty well. We've gotten WAY better about this in the last year or so. I travel a lot for work, and as a result, have eaten a bunch of things that are not my favorite. I have survived. ;-) I'm not picky, and like a wide variety of food. We do have one picky eater, but he eats a healthy diet & adds a few new things to his repetoire on a regular basis, so I'm happy with it.

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10606 on: January 25, 2018, 05:40:01 PM »
-Ate free pizza at work and saved leftover lunch for tomorrow
-Canceled Netflix
-Adjusted car insurance to save $50 a month

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10607 on: January 26, 2018, 12:23:53 AM »
For the past few days:

You're not the only one, I love seeing an empty fridge. Mine was nearly empty until yesterday.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10608 on: January 26, 2018, 05:34:55 AM »
I cut my husband’s hair last night. I am out of practice, and it is more challenging to cut 4-5 weeks of growth than it is 1-2. So it doesn’t look fantastic but it saved $15.

I’ve spent the month of January stocking the freezer with meals to feed my husband while I’m out of town next month. I’ve calculated he needs 17 servings of lunch/dinner meals and I’m up to 14.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #10609 on: January 26, 2018, 07:47:48 AM »
Have taken lunch to work every day this year so far.  Today I didn't even have to bring anything.  Fridge is stuffed with leftovers from an office lunch yesterday.  Love free lunch.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10610 on: January 26, 2018, 08:57:35 AM »
I decided to do my own taxes this year.  Should save me about $350 vs H&R block that I normally use.  Part of what convinced me is that Turbotax sent me an offer to use their software for free, since I'm a Mint user.  I feel a little nervous as I've never done it myself before, but I have the last few years worth of tax returns to look at in my filing cabinet and I'll look at them for reference purposes, to make sure nothing major gets missed.

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10611 on: January 26, 2018, 10:33:49 AM »
tyort1 I love TurboTax, I have used it since 2004! They get better and better every year about walking you through things and asking questions and I love it. Maybe too much, all my taxes are ready except for one tax bill that always takes forever to get here.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10612 on: January 26, 2018, 12:03:54 PM »
tyort1 I love TurboTax, I have used it since 2004! They get better and better every year about walking you through things and asking questions and I love it. Maybe too much, all my taxes are ready except for one tax bill that always takes forever to get here.

And it's not like I have super complicated taxes.  Pretty simple, actually.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10613 on: January 26, 2018, 12:08:25 PM »

+1

I convinced my brother to try out TurboTax instead of using his accountant. Last year, he hired his accountant and also did it on his own in TurboTax to see the difference. He said it was about the same. He still went with the accountant because I guess he already went through the effort. I don't know what his plan is this year. Maybe he will go straight to TurboTax.

I also have most of my return ready as my W2's are in. I am waiting for statements from the brokerages now...it's taking forever!

I am dying to submit to get my extra large refund this year. Don't panic over this. I usually time my tax payments to get as close to $0 refund or payment at the end of the year. Then the changes due to the new tax bill for 2018 and standard deductions convinced me to mega donate to a DAF in 2017, so now I am getting a huge refund!

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10614 on: January 26, 2018, 12:40:02 PM »
Crawled around under the house after all the outlets in all the bathrooms quit working. Found a GFCI switch that needed reset. Bathrooms work again, no call to an electrician.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10615 on: January 26, 2018, 01:27:01 PM »
Went out for pizza with co-workers. Decided to share one with two people to save on the cost.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10616 on: January 26, 2018, 01:47:50 PM »
-Breakfast from the freezer (those dang breakfast sandwiches I cannot rid myself of. 2 left!!!)
-Lunch from the freezer (leftover chicken chowder), & mixed in my latest creation - yogurt mixed with sriracha, to add a bit of spice
-Posted a bunch of stuff on eBay
-Stocking the fridge/freezer with food before I head out of town for a work trip on Sunday

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #10617 on: January 26, 2018, 01:55:14 PM »
Stayed in all day so far, and I don't plan on going anywhere else.

Made a meatless dinner last night...kinda on accident because the meat wasn't thawed yet, but that meat can just be used for a different meal then...lol

I'm cutting back on coffee as part of my healthy changes this year.  This will as a bonus save me in coffee beans, nice milk, and raw honey....which is my normal coffee mix times 3 mugs (now just 2)

This year I've challenged myself to have 100.00 worth of amazon swagbuck points by November to be used for Christmas.  I don't do much on the site, but I used to ALWAYS forget to log my online purchases with them...and those add up!  I've done a LOT better so far this year and I have 5.00 in current points and 2.00 pending. 

I drug DH to goodwill with me (minutes before they closed...oops), to try on several pairs of dress shoes that I had seen earlier that day.  The pair that fit and felt best ended up being 30.00, but they are like new and a very nice brand.  When we looked them up later, they retail for 110.00....   He kills a pair of dress shoes yearly, and 30.00 is still better than 60.00 ones from kohls like last time!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10618 on: January 27, 2018, 03:46:59 PM »
It was a good day for frugality.

-Drove electric car for errands
-Bought groceries from Costco (and, birthday gift) using Costco rebate card
-Picked up free bread from the grocery store, and used a gift card to get 2 packages of sale pasta
-Used Rite Aid points to pick up a few mailing envelopes for eBay sales
-Sold $22 worth of old toys on our local Facebook swap
-Talked my husband into staying in for dinner last night, and rescued our leftovers by serving them with a nice bottle of wine ;-)
-Cleaned the house
-My husband bought a used pool filter (drove 2 hours in the electric car to pick it up) & then rebuilt/swapped parts. New filter for 1/3 of the price
-Making naan bread pizzas tonight, using up fridge ingredients

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10619 on: January 27, 2018, 04:05:55 PM »
Bought 25 lb bag of rice today & used it to stretch chili lunch for unexpected guests over the lunch hour. Bonus: kid got playtime with his cousin & my brother in law got a much needed kid break (he's a SAHD). Drove electric car to the playground for the kids to play together outside. Drinking homemade hard cider paired with homemade bread to unwind after chasing after 2 kids under 3 this afternoon. Watching X files reboot on free FoxNow app.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10620 on: January 27, 2018, 07:41:30 PM »
-Convinced youngest child to walk to the park instead of driving
-breakfast: free veggies (from food not bombs) combined w eggs from my chickens (nearly free)
-dinner: free veggies w free spaghetti squash
-Aldi trip for the week net cost $17 after $4 in returns

Crushing it!!!

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10621 on: January 27, 2018, 08:25:57 PM »
GF and I evaluated what food we have around the house, and concluded that we don't actually need to go grocery shopping this week. We'll be using up what we already have instead!

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #10622 on: January 27, 2018, 09:41:32 PM »
Went snowshoeing nearby for exercise; was nice to get them out after a couple of years of not using (finally enough snow!). Groomed the dogs myself. Have been doing this for a year now and have saved nearly $1000 ... it’s actually kind of fun/rewarding. Had “clean out the fridge” for dinner.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10623 on: January 27, 2018, 11:27:50 PM »
Listed a dress on eBay today. I'm already getting watchers and questions, so I should have $80 back in my pocket soon.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10624 on: January 28, 2018, 12:04:15 AM »
Made dinner at home on the Weber grill my brother curb-shopped and gave us for Christmas.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10625 on: January 28, 2018, 03:44:10 AM »
- Canned some soup last night. I've never canned soup before. I used to freeze soup, but I like to have a few cans in the pantry for 'emergency food' when I get home late and NEED FOOD NOW. Might as well can my own soup. I have canned fruits and vegetables before, just not soup. I hope this works out.
- Made rice porridge for breakfast. There was only enough rice for 1 portion left in the box. Ate it with stewed pears I canned in October.
- Folded all the laundry I dried indoors during the weekend. I try to avoid ironing, I only ironed 3 pieces of work clothing that really needed to be ironed.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #10626 on: January 29, 2018, 04:37:13 AM »
Walked home from work for the first time, 3.7kms 1hr10mins (I’m a slow walker), saves $3.50 in bus fare and got exercise, my DH came too, so that’s $7 saved total.
Also are a free work apple instead of buying lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #10627 on: January 29, 2018, 05:59:10 AM »
Good day so far
- breakfast at home as usual
- walked to work as usual
- batch cooked some coconut lime rice, chicken & veggie concoction last night for three days of lunches this week. It turned out delicious!
- called Vodafone as my new SIM doesn't seem to be working, I need to go to town to get a replacement but they took £10 off my bill, meaning I will only pay £10 next month :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10628 on: January 29, 2018, 06:19:33 AM »
Walked home from work for the first time, 3.7kms 1hr10mins (I’m a slow walker), saves $3.50 in bus fare and got exercise <...>

Well done. You might get faster if you do it more often. I also like to walk to work regularly and as my route is twice as long as yours, I can't afford to walk slowly, so I dress in training clothes and brisk walk. I can recommend listening to podcasts while you walk.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #10629 on: January 29, 2018, 07:22:49 AM »
Finally remembered to sign up for Natural Grocers' rewards program and already received an email that I'll automatically get $2 off my next purchase.

Over the weekend - bought a couple whole salmon on sale $4.99/lb and had the butcher counter fillet them for me.  Portioned them out, seasoned and vacuum packed.  I had to laugh a bit because I noticed the exact same fish packaged as a fillet, was $11.99/lb. 

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10630 on: January 29, 2018, 02:46:12 PM »
Threw some strawberry tops into my lunch smoothie. Definitely adds a tang but reduces food waste and good to eat bitter greens.

Part-time cloth diapering the baby.

Remembered my reusable grocery bags so no bag fee and waste.

Bought flax seed and raisins for my morning oatmeal from the bulk bins, saving a few cents per pound on both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10631 on: January 29, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »
Helped some friends move house last week.

They've offered me their empty boxes (bought new) to pass on to relatives who are preparing to move.

One of the relatives is staying with me tonight so I'll pick up the boxes after work and they will be out of my place tomorrow morning.

Saving money, saving trees, and I don't end up running a temporary storage facility. Perfect.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #10632 on: January 30, 2018, 08:48:29 AM »
A grocery delivery service in my area had a coupon for a $20 off when you spend $35, plus free delivery. I never order groceries online for delivery and did find it more expensive then in store shopping. However for a one time use to take advantage of the coupon, it was a good savings.

I ordered heavy things like cat litter. My bill with tip was $23 and I estimate in store (with cheaper prices and no tip) it would have been $29 so really I only saved $6 plus the hassle of winter driving and saving time - which is handy because I am working from home.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10633 on: January 30, 2018, 09:05:05 AM »
We have Peapod here in CT (shop on line grocery service).  I get coupons all the time for free delivery. I think delivery costs $6.95 plus I give the driver a tip. So when it's free, I only pay tip. We order heavy things too. We have to use bottled water for our coffeemaker. We have hard water and it kills appliances that need water. I have them bring about 16 gallons of water, 4 cases of 16 oz bottles of water, 4 twelve packs of soda. I place a huge order with them to make it worth it. We do that maybe 4-5 times a year. We meet the driver out by our garage and have two yard carts we load up the stuff into then roll into our garage. The delivery guy used to bring to front door and that was bad news because I only have a landing and I would be hip deep in groceries! LOL! It is a good deal to have them shop and deliver for $6.95 but better when it is free!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10634 on: January 30, 2018, 04:30:02 PM »
I try to find a coupon for free grocery delivery once or twice a year. The prices online are the same as in the store, but the minimum online spend is €70. We don't have a car so I order heavy or bulky things for the pantry like flour, canned beans, toilet paper etc. Last time I ordered online we were organizing a party and we had all the beer delivered as well. Having all the party food and drinks delivered right into the kitchen was the best thing ever.

I saved money by having dinner at my grandma's today. She always gives me a banana and a candybar for my lunch break at work the next day. This time, she also gave some magazines for me that she got from a friend. It's quite an expensive magazine so I wouldn't buy it normally.

I've been working on some handmade gifts. We're having dinner at my in laws this weekend, oven mitts seem like a fitting thank you gift.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #10635 on: January 30, 2018, 05:51:03 PM »
Packed lunches for both of us.  Drank coffee from home.

Went straight home after work...no browsing goodwill on my route!

Created a meal plan for each day of the week that focuses our meals around "cheap eats".  For instance, Monday is Noodle Night... that means that I am basing my meal around a relatively cheap staple.  I can plan a meal to flavor it and veggies to either throw in from the fridge, or pick up to supplement.  Tuesdays are Rice-eroni days (I was trying to be clever...obvs failed.)  That means the meal is fleshed out with rice...aka a chicken and rice bake or stir fry.  Wednesdays will be my more time consuming meal like meatloaf, roast, or whatever because I am home Wednesdays, Thursdays will be wraps or sandwich based and Fridays will be "fun food"...likely convenience foods that we wouldn't otherwise buy..pizza rolls, mac n cheese, brats, occasionally take out pizza.  Saturdays I will plan a more time consuming meal that don't fit one of the categories, and lunches and Sundays are leftovers/veggies/parfaits/smoothies.  I'm trying to cut down on the amount of our meat consumption, try to eat healthfully while depending on quality but cheaper 'fillers' (rice and decent quality noodles/bread) and adding in lots of veggies.  This is my first week trying it out....we shall see if we actually eat healthfully...or if we end up filling ourselves up on non-veggie carbs instead .... :/

Friend wanted to take me out for coffee and specified that she was paying!  I let her :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10636 on: January 30, 2018, 06:15:40 PM »
Friend wanted to take me out for coffee and specified that she was paying!  I let her :)

Such a sacrifice. :D

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10637 on: January 30, 2018, 07:07:33 PM »
This was more “to not waste money,” but just now at 9pm I made a double batch of biscuits and put the cut dough in the freezer. I made them a little smaller to save on calories and so the batch of 24 made 34. Now all I need to do is take out a few biscuits and put them straight in the oven.

I had a quart of cream in the fridge that was going to go bad soon, so I used that to make the biscuits instead of throwing away $5. And I guess the saving money part comes in when I eat breakfast at home for ~$0.25 per biscuit. Add an egg and a sprinkle of cheese and it’s a sub-$0.50 breakfast!

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10638 on: January 30, 2018, 07:28:01 PM »
I cut my piece of salmon in half to have 2 meals with it instead of one.   O.O

I have started to find I don't need many "regular" sizes of things like fish or chicken lately.  In this 2-pack of frozen salmon filets that means fish for 4 meals instead of 2. 

Side note:  I'm eating cauliflower rice (just discovered...so yum!) and baked okra as sides with my salmon.  Not sure if perhaps the cauliflower plays a part in making me fuller? 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #10639 on: January 31, 2018, 01:48:18 AM »
I had a quart of cream in the fridge that was going to go bad soon, so I used that to make the biscuits instead of throwing away $5. And I guess the saving money part comes in when I eat breakfast at home for ~$0.25 per biscuit. Add an egg and a sprinkle of cheese and it’s a sub-$0.50 breakfast!

I love egg sandwiches!  I even make them at work for a late morning snack. Whip up an egg in a coffee cup or small bowl, microwave it, put it on a bagel or English muffin with some cheese and voila -- yum. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10640 on: January 31, 2018, 05:18:23 AM »
There was a vague message on our intranet at work today about that my employer would negotiate discounts for parking at airports. I registered as a user in the new system, but I couldn't choose a discount program yet, as my department is not (yet) included in the system. I will follow it up and try again later.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10641 on: February 01, 2018, 03:53:47 AM »
I saved money by eating a free hospital meal yesterday. I need to get medication through IV every 8 weeks. This time, there were some time consuming issues before they could finally start the medication. If you're still there at 5, they will offer you a free dinner. Most of the times, I know I'll be out in less than half an hour so I refuse it, but this time I had to stay until 7. Dinner was a rice stir fry and it was ok-ish.

Made tomato soup and cornbread for lunch. Will take some of that cornbread to work today as well.

Boss is late with paying my wages. I'm going to talk to him about this today, but I've decided I'm not transferring money from my savings account for anything else than the mortgage which is due today. This means eating food from the pantry and fridge for today and possibly tomorrow.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #10642 on: February 01, 2018, 04:00:37 AM »
Took my lunch to work every day in January.  Goal is to do the same this month. 

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10643 on: February 01, 2018, 11:07:41 AM »
Cut my own hair for the first time, and will have DH make sure the layers are even across the back this evening. It's not perfect, but no longer screams "NEEDS A HAIRCUT" and I didn't have to spent $60 + tip for a fancy Deva cut or risk disaster with a cheap cut.

Grocery shopped at Aldi, from a list. I leave on a trip this weekend, and DH doesn't really cook, so I bought ingredients for some meals that I know are simple enough he will actually make them. This should supplement the meals I have stocked in the freezer and limit take-out purchases.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10644 on: February 01, 2018, 02:45:27 PM »
Cut my own hair for the first time, and will have DH make sure the layers are even across the back this evening. It's not perfect, but no longer screams "NEEDS A HAIRCUT" and I didn't have to spent $60 + tip for a fancy Deva cut or risk disaster with a cheap cut.

Woo hoo!

There's a great thread on DIY haircuts if you want to come hang out.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/cut-own-hair-for-first-time-success!/msg1837305/#msg1837305

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #10645 on: February 01, 2018, 05:16:43 PM »
I flipped two little side tables I bought for $90, sold for $130. Took about twenty minutes of easy effort. My goal was to earn an extra $200 in February, first day I'm at $40. Also a no spend day! So I saved and earned a little extra.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #10646 on: February 01, 2018, 05:38:41 PM »
Not me, but my 17 year old:

There was a clothing drive at the college today. Son saw an older woman wrestling some boxes from her car and went over to offer help. She mentioned that there were two new pairs of jeans in one of the boxes she thought would fit him. They did, and one replaces his favorite black skinny jeans that ripped the other day. Free jeans + good deed = win!

Unrelated, he asked me to deposit his pay directly into savings instead of into his checking account like I normally do. His reasoning is he'll be less likely to spend it frivolously if he has to take the time to transfer, plus it will be subject to the teen amount of interest he gets off his savings account. (His "pay" is the measly $20/month allowance he gets. It's really more just to cover his incidentals if need be, like deodorant or what have you, than it is a traditional allowance.)

My day was a fail: I bought the damn parking pass. The bus is all well and good, but I hate giving up time waiting at the bus stop or stressing when the bus is late. I want my car with me so I can head to the local wetlands straight from class on days when the sun is shining. I want to drive to class blasting MY music instead of listening to the crappy headphone overspill from my fellow passengers. I want to only hear my music, not the insane yammerings of conspiracy theorists and crazy cat ladies. (Seriously, I must look like an easy mark for these conversations. There must have been a hobo sigil on my backpack that told all bus crazies to talk to me...)

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10647 on: February 01, 2018, 06:58:17 PM »
I bought groceries for the week this morning, and only spent $23.00! I do still need to purchase baby greens, and carrots at a different store, but in total it will come to less than $30.00. I am stoked, this month I have a goal of $200.00 in groceries, which in my tiny mountain town is near impossible.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #10648 on: February 01, 2018, 07:11:38 PM »
Sold two snow blowers this week that I bought back in July at a yard and an estate sale... Made $450! Baked cookies for my daughters snack tomorrow at school rather than going out and buying something. Some days are better than others lol. Property taxes are due next week, so I dare not celebrate too hard.

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10649 on: February 01, 2018, 08:21:08 PM »
Striving for a low spend February and keeping grocery costs very low.  Tonight I made deer stew from freezer/ pantry ingredients.  Most everything was hunted, grown in our garden, etc. 

Hung a load of laundry and hand washed 4 cashmere sweaters.

My sons compete with me daily for the Mustache Award; today the 2nd grader walked home from school and was delighted to find a perfectly shiny and beautiful tangerine on his way.  He held it up for my inspection, and I washed, peeled, and shared it with the kids.

Got a stipend for $1100 and immediately put it towards 2018 IRA.