Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020852 times)

Teachstache

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #10350 on: January 01, 2018, 09:05:57 AM »
[quote author=Sun Hat link=topic=10664.msg1834487#msg1834487 date=151481

Teachstache - I'm all for being socially awkward, but that PA that you saw was too much. I think things like "kids make me nervous" all of the time, but a medical professional should know better than to actually say such things to patients! And to suggest that you go to the ER for a cut quite defeats the point of having urgent care centres! I'm glad that it worked out regardless!
[/quote]

Yes, I knew that the PA was not a good choice when the front desk staff heard her comments, and rolled their eyes. After I said, "thanks but I think we're going to go elsewhere," the front desk staff said, "the PA never does steri strips. She only does stitches." After hearing a trauma surgeon say that steri strips fix most kid cuts, I'm inclined to try buying some & doing home triage first, before trying another urgent care facility again.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #10351 on: January 01, 2018, 11:34:50 AM »
Currently at the airport waiting for baggage, rather than pay an exorbitant $5 for a cart, my lovely spouse and child are out scavenging for one! We also took a really early flight that saved $400.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10352 on: January 01, 2018, 03:29:34 PM »
Packed NYE leftovers for to eat at work. I am so looking forward to my lunch, it's ridiculous.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10353 on: January 01, 2018, 03:58:18 PM »
*Made a big loaf of french bread and started another batch (Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day)

*Fed the kids leftover NYE food for lunch while hubs and I had roasted cauliflower and sweet potato

*Using up new shower gels (from Christmas gifts) and shampoo/conditioner

*Stopped myself from spending $134 on a photobook I assembled online this morning! What the heck?!
Love the Chatbook app, but its great for 60 page albums ($8). I didn't know they would jack the price so much
for extra pages. I'm out...

*Enjoying the sunshine and view from my upstairs window today in a 35 year old hand me down lazy boy recliner. Ugly but comfy!

*Dinner will be bruschetta from leftover NYE food and the french bread I made

Thanks to everyone here for sharing on this thread in 2017. I really do love reading everyone's "small things" whereas so many other places online and IRL, people would be like ... HUH???

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #10354 on: January 01, 2018, 04:20:13 PM »

Thanks to everyone here for sharing on this thread in 2017. I really do love reading everyone's "small things" whereas so many other places online and IRL, people would be like ... HUH???

I second the above!

Today I:

* Didn't spend or even leave the house.

* Did yoga with free videos and then ran up and down the basement stairs to get in some cardio (sidewalks are at the unsafe level of iciness, so no outdoor walking, boo!)

* Made black eyed pea soup (hoppin' johns) from dry beans in the crockpot. Also made a chive foccacia bread to accompany it.  My chives were insane in the garden last year, and I have a ton in the freezer to use up.

* Went through my school supplies and found everything I need for my classes -- no need to purchase anything new this quarter!

* started the uber frugal month challenge over on the Frugalwoods blog.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #10355 on: January 01, 2018, 05:17:28 PM »
Yes, thank you everyone for this thread!  I check it every day, as a sanity touch-base.  :)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10356 on: January 01, 2018, 05:48:41 PM »
I chopped up a roast that didn’t get cooked over Christmas and was too large for the three of us, and used half of it with a butternut squash from the pantry to make a stew for dinner, accompanied by homemade sourdough muffins. The other half will be slow cooked and shredded for burritos later in the week.

We were housebound with a sick toddler, so it was an easy no spend day.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #10357 on: January 01, 2018, 06:42:30 PM »
-- Only left the house to feed a friend's cat while they are out of town.  They live just a few minutes away.

-- Still running the space heater to avoid having to heavily heat most of the apartment.  Day off for new years, so DH, I and the two dogs spent most of our day in the living room, in throw blankets and pjs.

-- Eating leftovers.  Succumb to take out pizza yesterday for NYE, but had drinks that were bought from the store, and ice cream from tubs in the freezer.  Thought about going out for breakfast today....make omelette's instead...lol

-- DH is traveling the next two days for work.  He will be reimbursed for expenses, so free food for him and leftovers still for me. 

-- Sold a tv stand yesterday!  We also sold the tv a few weeks ago.  We now watch our media on DH's extra wide computer monitor.  No extra bedrooms in this apartment, so the living space is also the office.  The office now does double duty as our entertainment station....saving us tons of space!

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #10358 on: January 01, 2018, 08:10:45 PM »
I have not eaten any food or bought anything today. I'm not sure this counts as saving money, since it's only because my fever is too high to want to.

If I wasn't sick I could have gone into work (earning money) or at least posted some things for sale on Amazon (potentially earning money at some future date).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10359 on: January 01, 2018, 08:44:58 PM »
-Made lunch for everyone before we headed to the airport
-Packed all of the leftover produce, except for the too heavy potatoes. Froze a few things that would freeze well & be easily used on a future visit.
-Cleaned the house before we left, to avoid the cleaning fee
-Brought back some extra pasta that we had at the vacation house. We don't go nearly often enough to have that much on hand, and we are running low at home.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10360 on: January 02, 2018, 01:36:20 AM »
Spend new year's day rather than NYE at the bar. Sounds odd...

Sounds awesome!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #10361 on: January 02, 2018, 09:02:54 AM »
Called and cancelled something I ordered that ended up being backordered.  Really just deferring spending because I'll probably buy a better version of the same item in a few months, but might be able to snag a used one on eBay instead.

This might go under Frugal Intentions Horribly Executed, but my horse is on 4 weeks of meds that are over $30/day.  I bought the first two weeks' worth at the vet @$35/day with a $5/day manufacturer rebate.  Then I thought I was being smart and ordered from an online pharmacy where I could get down to $28/day after mfr rebate.  Due to the holidays, filling the Rx was really slow, and I'm on my last day of the meds from the vet.  Called and upgraded to overnight shipping, so at least I won't need to buy additional doses from the vet, but that sort of wiped out any savings I would have realized from going through the online business.  Unfortunately I couldn't work up enough indignation to demand that they pay for the overnight shipping (med effect is cumulative; not OK to skip days).  OTOH, if I hadn't called, I would have had to go spend another $150 getting doses from the vet to hold us over until the others were shipped.  Boo.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10362 on: January 02, 2018, 09:32:58 AM »
Spent New year's Eve at home, eating homemade spaghetti and meat sauce. Watched Westworld with a free 30 day HBO trial, after toddler son went to bed early due to small injury sustained earlier in the day.

Spent New year's day at home lounging in our jammies, eating homemade bread with gifted chokecherry jelly. Drove the Leaf over to my parents' house & had dinner there (delicious tortellini soup made by my mom).

My mom offered to watch kid tonight so that we can see Star Wars tonight after spouse gets off work (I am still off work until Friday). Bonus: we received a $25 gift card to the theater, and Tuesdays are $5 movie night with free popcorn. We'll use gift card to see a movie (first time going out to a movie since the 2016 Star Wars movie came out), eat popcorn for dinner (not the healthiest), kid has free babysitting from my mom (awesome). Will use gift card to see movies for $10 as a couple on Tuesday nights, availing ourselves of free grandma babysitting, & using theater app rewards to earn 3 movies as a couple (plus popcorn!) for $0 out of pocket (ideally, that is. Theater could take away $5 Tuesdays at any point, well before movies that we actually want to spend time seeing.)

Spouse is ecstatic about seeing Star Wars (he was named after one of the main characters & was literally born while Star Wars played in the background at his uncle's house, so he has a lifelong love for Star Wars.) I am excited about movie theater popcorn & recliners at the theater.

I am off work, kid is using vacation days from daycare while healing from injury. No cost for daycare today. Cloth diapering the kid today & attempting to potty train him.

We will stop by the store to buy the trauma surgeon neighbor of my mom his favorite bottle of whiskey as a thank you gift for taking care of our kid's injury on Sunday. He saved us at least $220 at urgent care & most definitely a botched stitching job. At worst, we would have faced an ER visit with our entire $900 deductible due on the last day of the year. A $50 bottle of whiskey is the least we can offer him.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:53:07 AM by Teachstache »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #10363 on: January 02, 2018, 10:21:14 AM »

Spouse is ecstatic about seeing Star Wars (he was named after one of the main characters & was literally born while Star Wars played in the background at his uncle's house, so he has a lifelong love for Star Wars.) I am excited about movie theater popcorn & recliners at the theater.

Luke?  Darth? Hans? Chewy? Boba Fete?  Please tell me it's Boba...

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10364 on: January 02, 2018, 10:48:41 AM »

Interesting that you're presuming it's not Leia Organa.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10365 on: January 02, 2018, 11:04:12 AM »

We will stop by the store to buy the trauma surgeon neighbor of my mom his favorite bottle of whiskey as a thank you gift for taking care of our kid's injury on Sunday. He saved us at least $220 at urgent care & most definitely a botched stitching job. At worst, we would have faced an ER visit with our entire $900 deductible due on the last day of the year. A $50 bottle of whiskey is the least we can offer him.

This is really thoughtful and kind!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #10366 on: January 02, 2018, 11:15:42 AM »

Ok... is he named Leia?  Jar-Jar?  Greedo? Yoda?
...given he's old enough to be married he's (presumably) too old to be named after any of the newer characters (Ray, Kaylo Ren, Snoke, Finn...)  But it's possible your spouse's name is... R2-D2?

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10367 on: January 02, 2018, 12:01:47 PM »

I just think of it as a necessity. I wouldn't want my neighbors assuming that I'd be continuously willing to teach their kids to read for free, just because I'm a reading teacher. A few times, sure, but not continuously. I would never expect a trauma surgeon to use his expertise to help our kid for free, either. Expecting that would = being a mooch, which we most assuredly do not want to be.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10368 on: January 02, 2018, 12:06:28 PM »

Ok... is he named Leia?  Jar-Jar?  Greedo? Yoda?
...given he's old enough to be married he's (presumably) too old to be named after any of the newer characters (Ray, Kaylo Ren, Snoke, Finn...)  But it's possible your spouse's name is... R2-D2?

I was just messing with you ;) He's named after the main protagonist in the original Star Wars film. He likes to wax philosophical about how the circumstances of his birth directly resulted in his long-standing love of spaceships and sci-fi.

Meesh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10369 on: January 02, 2018, 12:13:10 PM »
Set everything up to max 401k, HSA, and both IRAs for 2018! 1 hr of work now, for $34,900 more in savings (+ 8,300 more from employer so really 43,200) by this time next year. woo

posting here bc DH does not appreciate this awesomeness.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10370 on: January 02, 2018, 12:17:16 PM »

I just think of it as a necessity. I wouldn't want my neighbors assuming that I'd be continuously willing to teach their kids to read for free, just because I'm a reading teacher. A few times, sure, but not continuously. I would never expect a trauma surgeon to use his expertise to help our kid for free, either. Expecting that would = being a mooch, which we most assuredly do not want to be.

I agree with you 100%. It's sad to think that many would
just take advantage.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10371 on: January 02, 2018, 01:35:31 PM »
Husband ran a few money-saving errands for me yesterday. He:
- used a store credit that expires on January 5 buy me another pair of running socks (I got a pair for Christmas and love, love, love them).
- exchanged a pair of shoes that I bought for work only to have the inner sole come apart after two weeks. Interestingly, he said the younger sales assistant was horrified and said, "This isn't acceptable, let me get you another pair", while the older assistant tsked and tsked and said, "How has she done this then?" Well fuck you too. Sorry, but if I'm buying $150 flats for work, I expect them to last longer than a fortnight!

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10372 on: January 02, 2018, 01:54:59 PM »
Set everything up to max 401k, HSA, and both IRAs for 2018! 1 hr of work now, for $34,900 more in savings (+ 8,300 more from employer so really 43,200) by this time next year. woo

Good for you! My spouse initially wasn't thinking that maxing out retirement and FSAs wasn't a big deal, either, but he did get on board after we recalculated our net worth at the end of November.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10373 on: January 02, 2018, 01:58:28 PM »
Good job on the returns mustachianpungoeshere!

We have some returning to do ourselves.  A remote control car from Amazon broke after one use (10 year old responsible child who did nothing wrong). Have processed the return. Just have to print slip and box it up.

A sweater I purchased before Christmas at a bricks and mortar store arrived today in the mail (they were out of stock in my size). Instead of a sweater, it's a thin black blouse. Grrrr. Taking this opportunity to return it and get my money back and not get the sweater at all. Their mistake gave me time to regret the purchase! Just. Say. No.

Making up a lentil curry that I found online last week. Added a ton of leftover veggies and just increased the liquids and cooking time. Rice going in my IP. Should be delicious.

Here it is:

1 red onion diced
3 garlic cloves minced
1 yellow pepper diced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups green lentils or French green lentils
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 can full fat coconut milk
3 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons garam masala
2 teaspoons sugar
2 1/2 cups water
Jasmine rice for serving

Sorry, I don't have the source. We chucked in bits of cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower that were in their last legs. I learned on the MMM forum how to make a curry and now it is a favorite dinner in our house.

Starting more bread to go with dinner - doing a prime rib from our freezer cows.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 02:01:11 PM by 1967mama »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10374 on: January 02, 2018, 02:25:24 PM »
Requested and received an exercauser (baby docking station) on buy nothing project.

Husband said "didn't you get one of those at your shower and return it?"
Yep, I did. I knew I wouldn't need it until baby is about 9 months, if at all, and figured I could rebuy it if I found myself needing it.  And instead I got a truly free one, so the money from returning it can still go to diapers :)

If I didn't get a freebie, probably wouldn't have bought it, as it wasn't a need- but man I'm glad to have a place to put the baby when she and the dog won't stay apart for three seconds.

Meesh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10375 on: January 02, 2018, 04:31:20 PM »

Good for you! My spouse initially wasn't thinking that maxing out retirement and FSAs wasn't a big deal, either, but he did get on board after we recalculated our net worth at the end of November.
Thanks! He definitely got excited when I showed him the savings difference from just in taxables but I think he forgot by now :/ I should remind him. lol

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10376 on: January 02, 2018, 07:23:28 PM »
Today I received a $50 gift card in the mail for opening (and promptly paying off) a credit card when I bought my husband's Christmas gift from Orvis.  Since his birthday and Valentine's are the same week -- and since he dearly loves getting gifts, it's his love language-- I have a good dent already in whatever I get him.  Which will have to do with fishing, of course, since the gift card is for more Orvis gear.  Which he will love.

Pasteurized a gallon of fresh milk, separated the heavy cream, and gathered the ingredients to make greek yogurt when I get my next delivery on Thurs.

Ate leftovers for breakfast and lunch.  I really want to have as close to zero food waste as possible.

Used plasma card to buy chicken feed since our checking account is a little low at the moment.

And tonight as we chowed on a delicious simple dinner, I started reflecting on how much of it we got for free.  Homemade teriyaki sauce was sent home with us from Christmas festivities.  Brown rice was gifted to us by someone (who struggles financially) whose family "doesn't really eat rice."  Chicken was free, gifted by my grandma who somehow scores free meat from the grocery store on the day it expires, then throws it in the freezer.  Then gets too much free meat in her freezer.  Then gives it to me at Christmas.  Like clockwork.  Thanks, Grams!

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10377 on: January 02, 2018, 07:24:33 PM »

Thanks! He definitely got excited when I showed him the savings difference from just in taxables but I think he forgot by now :/ I should remind him. lol

Holla!  Great job!   

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10378 on: January 02, 2018, 07:40:02 PM »
-Made breakfast with random fridge items, using the last of dribs & drabs of random things we had on hand
-Returned two pair of pants we didn't need for a vacation
-Made dinner with pasta taken from our vacation house, pasta sauce (bought for $.29, but doctored up by me) & meatballs. It was delish.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10379 on: January 02, 2018, 08:26:54 PM »
* Walked to the library to return books before they were late. Managed not to duck into Starbucks for a hot drink :)

* Made paneer for tomorrow's dinner of saag paneer. (I am so ridiculously excited about this one!)

* Made oat milk for lactose intolerant son. Threw the oat "pulp" and leftover chocolate fondue together with other ingredients to make cookies. They were gobbled up, so I assume they were edible!

*Dinner was a creamy one pot lemon pasta. I tossed the leftover half-package of cream cheese in the freezer to be used in a future sauce, instead of my normal M.O. of letting it mold in the fridge.

* Touched up my roots with the remains of a tube of "Just for Men." Seriously, ladies, if you only have a tiny amount of gray you want to cover (mine is a skunk stripe in my otherwise very dark brown bangs), JFM is far superior and cheaper than dye marketed to women. THere's nothing to mix. You just screw the little comb to the tube, brush it onto your roots, remove and rinse comb, but lid back on tube, save tube until next time you need to touch up the roots in six weeks or so, wait 30 minutes or so, rinse out dye. One tube lasts me six months, and a tube costs about $5 to $6 depending on if I can find a sale.

* No spend day!

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #10380 on: January 02, 2018, 09:03:34 PM »

Took the family to a Fly In, where we ogled the planes, ate lunch, played in the kids area, fished, rode horses and a little train, pet goats, painted pumpkins, etc. Hours of fun. Admission cost was a side dish and a 2 litre of soda. Took an unopened bottle of ginger ale left over from our last bout of stomach bug and made a .99 box of brownies and a pumpkin cake I had been craving, but didn't want a whole cake sitting around the house. Hubs and I also volunteered working a few stations, so will return in a few weeks for a free thank-you lunch for volunteers.

I really like this, we should look into, DH  knows about planes and flying, he'd like it
thanks for sharing

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #10381 on: January 02, 2018, 09:58:02 PM »
New to the MMM journey, and I really like this thread. Baby steps are easier to grasp and, most importantly, maintain.

I live in NYC, and fast food/delivery is probably my biggest avoidable money weakness because it's so easy. This weekend I made a big batch of pasta and side salad, intending to take leftovers for lunch instead of buying this week. But I thought about it some more, and I spend way more on delivery for dinner than I do picking up some fast casual food for lunch. So I decided to treat myself to lunch out and save the leftovers for dinner. I know this sounds crazy to a lot of you who make every meal for yourself, but it's big for me to cook with any consistency. And I prevented myself from spending probably $20 on delivery after tax and tip.

I also returned a shirt I ordered online and didn't like. Money back in my pocket.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10382 on: January 03, 2018, 01:22:32 AM »
Finally found a place to meet with my English student where I don’t have to buy an obligatory coffee or snack.

Yesterday we walked to and from the grocery saving bus fare for 2 x 2.

Boiled water at home instead of buying a jug of drinking water. I’m undecided about this long term, but satisfied for now.

Did not buy bread from the bakery around the corner to accompany the split pea soup I made.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10383 on: January 03, 2018, 01:45:03 AM »
Scored two beautiful coffee table books at work that reflect our interests and let me update a little corner of the lounge room without spending a dollar.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #10384 on: January 03, 2018, 05:46:06 AM »
Had planned to go out to a work lunch today for a student who is returning to school. I didn't really work with the student, but do love thai food. I forgot about the lunch, and packed leftovers for today. Cancelled my attendance for the lunch, and will save $15-$20!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #10385 on: January 03, 2018, 07:56:25 AM »
I have to do a day trip for work today.  Ate an extra large "second breakfast" that will see me through til I get home tonight, so am not tempted to buy food on the road.  Making a large thermos of tea to drink on the drive. 

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10386 on: January 03, 2018, 12:42:10 PM »
I've now made lunch every workday this year! This is my New Year's resolution, and I hope I can stick to it. I was gone for the holidays, so there wasn't much to work with for breakfast and lunch. I used meat and vegetables from the freezer and made spaghetti for breakfast yesterday (because jet lag) with extra to take for lunch the same day. Today I used bread I had frozen in the freezer for a peanut butter toast breakfast and a PB&J lunch. I finally got to the supermarket this evening, so the rest of the week can be normal food. I got some yellow-tagged specials there, which saved a little. And I had a half glass of wine with dinner from a free little bottle I got on my flight for being willing to switch seats.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10387 on: January 03, 2018, 12:51:25 PM »
Welcome, zygote! Great little corner of the forum here!

*Using a $25 gift card I won at the health food store to buy a dozen almond milk - also get a discount for buying a whole case

*Drinking tea at home BEFORE I go out to run errands so I'm not tempted by SBux

*Oatmeal for breakfast

*Returned a pile of books to the library and took out another pile. Husband scored a brand new book on the express shelf (one week loan, heavy late fines) that has over 200 people waiting for it in regular circulation.

*Planning dinner from the freezer

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:52:56 PM by 1967mama »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #10388 on: January 03, 2018, 12:53:35 PM »
Stuck to my breakfast and lunch plan at work ($1.67 for both + snack).

Boss had a football party on New Years and over-estimated food, so he brought in a sub tray. I stuck to my planned lunch, but am taking some subs home for a free dinner for me and bf.

I can’t tell if this is frugal, or just plain cheap of me, but working in an office means there is free food at least once or twice a month. I put some resealable bags in my purse and take leftovers home to prevent waste. :v It’d go bad or be discarded otherwise. Bagels, subs, etc.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:40:09 PM by lexde »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #10389 on: January 03, 2018, 02:29:56 PM »
I can’t tell if this is frugal, or just plain cheap of me, but working in an office means there is free food at least once or twice a month. I put some resealable bags in my purse and take leftovers home to prevent waste. :v It’d go bad or be discarded otherwise. Bagels, subs, etc.

Definitely not 'cheap' -- it's frugal, and well done. 

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #10390 on: January 03, 2018, 02:38:09 PM »
Found three refillable stick lighters for $1.00 each...the refillable ones are getting so hard to find!  Also, at the same place (Bargain Hunt), found a women's J. Crew 100% silk button-down shirt marked down to $1.50.  It was $5 with a 75% discount: total insanity!!!  Not a single thing wrong with it, probably just a return that someone took the tags off of. 

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10391 on: January 03, 2018, 02:46:31 PM »
Make pumpkin muffins today, again with some free ingredients.

--Pumpkin was free from a friend (instapot + food processor = easy pumpkin pulp)
--Oatmeal was free from husband's work (they have a zero'd out food budget and re-order a whole bunch of stuff, so he saves a ton from getting tossed)

Rest of ingredients were either fresh milk (discount from friend) or from the bulk section at Winco.

My family has become a bit addicted to cereal lately, and I'm trying to wean them off such an expensive and unfilling choice.  I figure 2x a week is fine.  The rest of the time I'm making oatmeal, healthy muffins, or omelets.  Takes more preplanning, but hopefully it'll be better in the long run.

For dinner a mock Panera butternut squash soup, from my garden surplus.  Made with cream from the cheap fresh dairy source.  (Actually, including the heavy cream I get with each gallon, that's actually $3-4 extra value.  Hadn't thought of that.  Gonna start making my own butter soon : )

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10392 on: January 03, 2018, 03:09:06 PM »
At work:
-Ate free breakfast & lunch
-Charged the electric car for free
-Picked up four new books off of the "free" table

Home:
-Dinner made from things we have on hand (tortellini, homemade pesto, chicken from the freezer + salad)

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10393 on: January 03, 2018, 07:06:07 PM »
Cloth diapered kid today. Ate leftovers today. Took kid out to play in the snow & when he got cold, took him to the library afterwards. This was after my mom gave me a hard time about living in a "small" house (her words). She was worried about her grandson not having a place to play. I thought, "what better places to play than outside & in a library?" Bonus going to library: found a book that the library was selling that would be perfect for next year's Christmas gifts (50¢). Bought it & got a head start on next year's Christmas gifts.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10394 on: January 03, 2018, 07:29:29 PM »
I took the bus to class today! I tell myself each quarter to take advantage of the free student bus pass, but then give in to the convenience of driving. Seriously, the bus was easier and I got 15 minutes of reading time. This saves me about $80 a year on parking, not to mention gas and wear and tear.

Other small things:

* Made saag paneer with the homemade paneer from yesterday. Also used spinach, garlic, onions, and tomatoes that were frozen or canned from last summer's garden. (It was so, so, so, so good!)

* Filed a warranty claim with Keen. My new hiking shoes had a burr on one eyelet, which shredded the lace the first time I put them on. Normally I'd sand down the burr and buy new laces, but it's their fault so I figured they should send me new laces. We'll see what happens.

* My grants disbursed into my checking account today. Transferred it immediately into savings so not tempted to spend any of it. (Tuition already paid, this was the amount left over. )

* Found out that the school fitness center is free for all students as of next week. Not sure if I'll take advantage of it, but went down to get my pass and sign up for an orientation just in case. There's a rumor of free yoga classes on Fridays, which makes me happy.

* Didn't spend anything!

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10395 on: January 03, 2018, 09:01:11 PM »
Had people over for lunch and forced them to eat tofu and broccoli :)

Broccoli was on sale for 99¢

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10396 on: January 03, 2018, 09:26:39 PM »
Did more of those idiotic health incentive activities for work so I get more employer money in my HSA. They flat contribute $1500 for family coverage and then up to $2400 more if you jump through hoops. I have to do another incentive activity tomorrow afternoon which I am not really looking forward to, but it is worth $150 and takes 10-15 minutes of my time so I guess I better suck it up. I try to get these things done as soon as humanly possible in the year just in case. $950 down, $1450 to go.

Wings5

• Stubble
« Reply #10397 on: January 03, 2018, 09:36:47 PM »
Used the hot pot to make tea. Stayed ahead on health care costs by riding the bike out of doors for one hour.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10398 on: January 03, 2018, 11:08:12 PM »
Paid for 2 years of auto registration instead of one, saving about $60.  We can do this in AZ, and can also take the amount as a tax deduction in our state taxes. 

Topped off the gas tank at Costco ($2.15/gallon) saving $1 over regular gas station prices (various, up to $2.33/gallon)

Christmas items at the 99Cent store were marked down to 25 cents, so I picked up a packet of 3 jingle bell bracelets (.25 for all three), a packet of gift tags, and a packet of Xmas money holders.
@LaineyAZ - This post made me laugh. We visited my brother in Phoenix (Peoria) between Christmas and New Year's. He works for Costco, so of course we bought gas there. We also hit the 99 Cent Only Store. Got the same 25 cent deal on Christmas gift bags and tissue. I also found Jalapeno Flavored sliced olives, which are great on tacos. When they rang up 2/.9999, I went back and bought a whole case. One of the advantages of driving, no weight limits!

Frugal fail: last year they gave us a PFChang gift card for Christmas. The money goes a lot further at PeiWei, which we do not have in NorCal, so I offered to buy lunch for everyone there. When we arrived, there was a sign on the door saying "Sorry, due to a computer problem, we can't accept gift cards today." Oof! I bought anyway. Lunch for 5 was $50, so it's not going to break us, but it was kinda funny.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10399 on: January 04, 2018, 05:21:25 AM »
I’ve run out of big tubes of toothpaste (finished off the last one just before Christmas), and emptied a box of tissues today.

But I’m still holding off on grocery shopping (heaps of food in pantry and freezer).

So I’m into the stockpile of airline toiletries, travel packs of tissues and tubes of toothpaste smaller than my little finger.

Use it up...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!