Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3132189 times)

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #10050 on: October 29, 2017, 06:12:01 AM »
Managed to get out of CostCo without buying anything else.
Impressive. Teach me your ways.
My strategy is to not get a cart - mostly to save time but it also means I can't get anything extra.  I'll happily be that moron carrying around 35lbs of dog food (that I buy for a friend), 2L of olive oil, 4lbs of bacon, half a gallon of heavy cream, 4lb of frozen broccoli, and 2 dozen eggs.

The trickiest part is holding/balancing all that shit while trying to show the receipt to the person at the door on your way out.
Sorry, I don't find anything admirable or believable about ketchup's so-called strategy. We just shopped at Costco today and dog food was on the list, so I call BS. Even if one manages this feat, Costco is always busy. The risk of someone bumping into you while you're balancing all this "shit" is too great. If a distracted person with a huge cart accidentally jostles you and that two- or five-dozen pack of eggs hits the floor, whose fault would that waste of resources be? Use a cart, a list, and exercise a little self discipline. You can achieve the same goal without being a menace to those around you and without jeopardizing the safety of the items you've just deployed a good-sized platoon of your little green soldiers to acquire.

Everyone moans about their total Costco bill, but they love how much they're saving on each individual item they select. If you do it right, the total might be high, but the value is even higher. I keep a running list of items I buy at Costco on my sorta smart phone. Before I leave home, I check off the items I need. At the store, that's what I buy. Easy. Hell, I'm just happy when my total is low enough that I don't have to sign for it.

Sidebar alert: One of the reasons Costco checks your receipt is because they sell a lot of items that must be picked up after paying at the checkstand. An amazingly large percentage of people pay and forget to pick up their item, so that's a key thing they're checking for. Another reason to highlight the receipt is so people can't buy something, take it to their car, then re-enter the store, grab another of the same item and use the first receipt to exit without paying. Also, highlighter colors are rotated. Different color every day, for the same reason. I'm 100% fine with this, because it saves me money and hassle in the long run. It is in my best interest that Costco makes just enough profit that it continues to exist.

Back on topic: I quite agree that your strategy can be quite effective in other situations. We also stopped at Lowe's today  We bought the four items on our list and easily carried them in our hands. The items were lightweight and the store in our area is required to charge for bags. On this leg of our retail odyssey, the strategy you endorse saved us actual, not just theoretical, money.

I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10051 on: October 29, 2017, 06:39:51 AM »
Not today but Wednesday I went to local pool supply and got 10% discount for being a "senior" - oddly all you have to be is 55 or older. Took four gallons of acid home instead of 1. That also saves future trips (which I usually do by bicycle).

Rode my bicycle to meet up with friends instead of driving. I do that every day though ; ) - ride the bike as opposed to driving that is.

Signed up for a new HSA that offers .499% interest and will process various medical costs through that as soon as it is open - saving my tax rate on the costs.
I love being outside.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10052 on: October 29, 2017, 06:49:32 AM »
Checked my mobile phone provider (Amaysim) for any updates to data plans.

Currently paying $24.90 for unlimited calls/text & 1.5GB data every 28 days.

New plan available is $20.00 for unlimited calls/text & 2.5GB data every 28 days.

Going to switch as soon as the current billing cycle expires in 10 days.

Looks like I need to do that too! Thanks Marty!

Prairie Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10053 on: October 29, 2017, 07:53:00 AM »
Starting November 1 I will be working from home, so should save a lot on gas. My commute is 13 kilometers (8 miles) each way.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10054 on: October 29, 2017, 08:23:33 AM »
-Saved and made money. Dog sitting while DH is out of town. Built in entertainment right there. I had planned on spending an afternoon sitting with a book at a coffee shop prior to the request, so that saves me at the minimum the cost of a coffee.

Starting November 1 I will be working from home, so should save a lot on gas. My commute is 13 kilometers (8 miles) each way.

That's great! Permanent change to WFH?
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10055 on: October 29, 2017, 09:00:24 AM »
I went out for brunch and thought it strange that my relatively small meal turned out more than other people's. Looking at the receipt later, I realised I was charged twice for the main part, and I went back and got a refund. Savings of £1.70. Bonus is that I now know better how their system works, so I should be able to keep the brunch cost to £1.70 in future.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10056 on: October 29, 2017, 10:50:57 AM »
I bought 20 bell peppers at $.50 each at the farmer’s market to dice and freeze for this winter’s stews and soups. It will probably save $1 per pepper over buying imported peppers during the winter and will taste better!
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10057 on: October 29, 2017, 01:05:43 PM »
Moved into my new room/flat and got the fridge and couch second hand, saving lots of money.

Also dad made a table using table legs from my previous table plus a surplus, wrong-sized part of their kitchen cabinet as a table top (in my last room the table top was a wrong-sized fridge door from that same kitchen). Thanks to that kitchen company for getting my parents so many wrong sized parts so I've already gotten two tables for free!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10058 on: October 29, 2017, 04:43:19 PM »
Downloaded an app to earn 150 frequent flyer points.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #10059 on: October 30, 2017, 02:41:20 PM »
DH found someone on Craigslist who was trying to get rid of multiple pallets. We were needing a couple of pallets to store the concrete bags for our fence project (long story.) So we took our truck and went over and picked up 3 of the best looking pallets. Just cost a little a gas and some time.

Prairie Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10060 on: October 30, 2017, 08:54:43 PM »
-Saved and made money. Dog sitting while DH is out of town. Built in entertainment right there. I had planned on spending an afternoon sitting with a book at a coffee shop prior to the request, so that saves me at the minimum the cost of a coffee.

That's great! Permanent change to WFH?

It could potentially be permanent, if all goes well for both sides. We need to work out some logistics, but they are being very accommodating.

Annie_R

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10061 on: October 30, 2017, 10:52:30 PM »

New plan available is $20.00 for unlimited calls/text & 2.5GB data every 28 days.

I'm switching from amaysim too, but based on my usage I only need 1.5gb so I'm switching to Bendigo bank Telco, $14.50 per month for unlimited call/text and 2.0gb.  https://www.bendigobanktelco.com.au/sim-only-plans

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10062 on: October 30, 2017, 11:12:18 PM »
I read my emails on my personal (non-work) account for the first time in 6 weeks.

Spotted one, and then a reminder from a certain telco provider who are delighted to announce they are cancelling the prepaid mobile broadband service I'm using because it's ancient and they want to focus on providing a better service with more cool options and ad-ons (i.e. a post paid service with lots of data but one that creams you on excess usage).

Apparently I'm a dinosaur (but I already knew that). The service I was using requires a USB key modem and I was getting 12GB for $150 with 365 day expiry. Not great but that was all I needed - basically all I do is internet banking, write shit on this forum, and look at stocks and realestate websites.

At the local shopping centre on the ground floor there was the telco provider who was giving me the boot, and opposite them was the telco provider who still is willing to cater to Brontosaurs like me. I went up to the sales dude and said "those guys (pointing out the store to them) are cancelling my service. I need a replacement"

$39 for a new modem, and a $130 recharge for 25GB with one year expiry and I'm happy.

And the old telco has promised to refund the 7 months left on the cancelled service so I'm very happy with that too.

I know we had this conversation but somehow I missed this post.

You might be a dinosaur but I still like you. :D

FrugalAussie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10063 on: October 30, 2017, 11:19:54 PM »
Saved $100 by getting a second opinion about a medical procedure. It pays to call around.  My surgery was going to charge $100, another surgery that I've been to before bulk bills only so no charge (Australian healthcare system). Thankfully no need for an iron infusion at this stage anyway. Doctor advised that I trial a different supplement and be retested in 2 months.

We're travelling again (awesome deal on shoulder period flights from Australia to Europe).  Usually my dad, who lives close to the airport, drops us there.  He's in holiday himself so unavailable.  I joined up to Uber which I've never used.  Googled a deal $25 off first ride (Westpac, for Australian readers). Trip to airport will be free or nearly so.

Before we travel we've been eating out of the freezer/pantry/garden in an attempt to keep out of the shops and leave a clean fridge. We've done very well.

Spring garden has been super productive.  Eating lots of greens (good for my Iron levels) and Mulberries every day.  Lots of strawberries and blueberries too. Froze some of the excess fruit for when we return home from our trip. 
FIRE'd in 2017, aged 51. Not bored yet!

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10064 on: October 31, 2017, 12:57:26 AM »
DH found someone on Craigslist who was trying to get rid of multiple pallets. We were needing a couple of pallets to store the concrete bags for our fence project (long story.) So we took our truck and went over and picked up 3 of the best looking pallets. Just cost a little a gas and some time.
I love that you only took what you needed.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #10065 on: October 31, 2017, 10:27:08 AM »
Signed up for a pumpking carving contest at work, got a free pumpkin, 2 hours of entertainment last night, and then won the contest, and made $50!! ($50 Visa gift card!)

Total profit:
Pumpkin~ $10
Two hours of entertainment: $30
Free pumpkin seed snack: $3
Winnings: $50

Total "savings"- $93  :D

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #10066 on: October 31, 2017, 12:03:24 PM »
I love that you only took what you needed.

I was actually surprised there were any left - the post had been up for 20 days. I've seen multiple people around here who use the pallets to make signs, so I figured they'd be long gone.

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10067 on: November 01, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »
Had free lunch at work both today and yesterday.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10068 on: November 01, 2017, 03:36:02 PM »
We were tempted to get takeaway last night but I'm still on an elimination diet trying to get to the bottom of some food issues.

In the end it was just easier to cook at home rather than second-guess what was and wasn't going to make me sick.

Made plans to see friends on Sunday afternoon. Friend immediately asked for my preference between two recipes. Health and budget intact.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10069 on: November 02, 2017, 06:54:14 PM »
Cashed out loyalty points for a $25 supermarket voucher.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10070 on: November 02, 2017, 06:56:48 PM »
For vacation later this month: renting a car through an app called "turo" when we get there. Found a referral link on someone's profile, so we'll get $25 off the booking too. Glad we made our trip 7 days instead of 6- there was a 15% discount for a week's rental. Also passed on additional insurance coverage- we chatted with our insurance and made sure we were fully covered.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10071 on: November 02, 2017, 07:02:05 PM »
Two no-spend days in a row.

DH has to travel for work for a few days and his hotel has a fridge this time. I sent him with breakfasts and lunches to minimize what he needs to spend at restaurants.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10072 on: November 03, 2017, 06:29:28 AM »
Paid rent with my credit card, which has no fees and will give me $7.50 in cash back. I was going to give my roommate a check to take to the office, but realized I had time to go myself to pay with a card.

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10073 on: November 03, 2017, 07:22:15 AM »
Last night & today:

Skipped dinner last night since I wasn’t super hungry.

Found an old RX for my dog to help with her itchy allergy feet that saved me $60.

Grabbed a RXBar from the court reporters’ office yesterday since they have free snacks. Have it in my purse now, they’re $2/each in bulk.

Drinking free work coffee (the nice individual pouch machines, but wasteful...), tea, and la croix instead of buying my own.

Going to spend $8.50 on food today total for two meals. Not amazing, but still not bad.

Jaayse

• Stubble
« Reply #10074 on: November 03, 2017, 09:28:46 AM »
I cancelled the SLGI that I had, it was costing me 18.50 a month for the insurance.  Since I am single and have no dependents, it doesn't make sense for me to have it.  That is $222 back in my pocket for this next year!
My Journal:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-journey-of-a-lifetime/
Earn 50,000 bonus points with Chase Sapphire Preferred ($4k spend in 3 months). I can be rewarded too if you apply here and are approved for the card. Learn more.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/QCXVQ647S4
www.airbnb.com/c/justinec3400  -> Sign up for AirBnB here for 40$ on your account
Ibotta referral code:  ulyodxt

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10075 on: November 03, 2017, 11:21:57 PM »
Ordered the 'big' Christmas present for my nephews after finding it online marked down from $60 to $35.

chasingthegoodlife

• Stubble
« Reply #10076 on: November 04, 2017, 01:07:37 PM »
Wanted to get some mulch for the garden before our backyard wedding in few weeks. SO wanted to get some delivered ($195) but I convinced him we should take our trailer down to the council transfer station instead.

$10 for a huge trailer load, and a good workout loading it ourselves. SO is really impressed with the quality of the mulch and now planning to get another load for his rental property.

Spent some time yesterday harvesting the last of the leeks and kale and sowing seeds for summer crops.  I don’t think my veggie garden saves us a HUGE amount of money, but it definitely helps and we eat a better variety and quality of veggies than we otherwise would. Eg leeks are $2 each in the shop. I grew maybe 20 leeks this year, costing $1 for seeds and then maybe another $1-2 for inputs like fertiliser and straw. I probably wouldn’t have bought 20 leeks at $2 a piece, so I can’t say I saved $37, but we sure did enjoy eating a leek whenever we wanted.

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10077 on: November 04, 2017, 01:27:06 PM »
I booked flights home for Christmas this morning, and then I realised that I couldn't fly out that early because of a fairly important two-day event here. After much looking around on websites and staying on hold with the agency I booked through, I finally got connected to someone at the airline who said that they're required by law to allow cancellations within 24 hours for a full refund. Nothing at all about that on the airline's website, which says repeatedly that no refunds are allowed for any reason, and nothing about that on the travel website. I don't know which country's law that is, and I can't find anything about it online. But I took the refund and re-booked on better dates later in the day. Over two hours wasted on resolving this but a reasonable amount of money not wasted.

Finally found this: https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/notice-24hour-reservation (via this story: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/how-to-cancel-your-flight_n_6029618).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 01:30:49 PM by Kwill »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10078 on: November 04, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »
Adjusted the temp in my freezer to save power.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #10079 on: November 04, 2017, 06:46:46 PM »
I was digging around trying to find my cell phone and found an $18 mail in rebate check that I lost several weeks ago and had given up on.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #10080 on: November 04, 2017, 10:33:27 PM »
Made a cheap bunch of rice and beans, total cost inc veg was about $3. Will last me about 6 meals, 7 with some cheap bread added.

Practised hypermiling techniques on my short drive to the Kindy working bee in my new (2nd hand of course!) little cheap Moustachian economical car. Went well.

Put up my old round dining table on gumtree (Aussie craigslist) for $40 negotiable. I mainly want it gone, but if I can get $20 that's a win.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10081 on: November 05, 2017, 07:44:26 AM »
Managed to somehow not spend a single penny yesterday.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10082 on: November 05, 2017, 08:50:39 AM »
Actively managed my travel rewards (hotel + airline) on my business trip, and will convert all of that into a free flight on my preferred domestic airline. I currently have platinum hotel status, which generates additional points bonuses. Trying to take advantage while I can.

I got in from my work trip yesterday afternoon & was incredibly jet lagged. Convinced my husband to pick up a prepared lasagna from Costco, vs all of us going out. Saved a good $30.

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10083 on: November 05, 2017, 02:46:16 PM »
I've been reading this thread for probably 2 years without ever bothering to register and start commenting.  I find everyone's everyday ideas so inspiring!  I'm a teacher, and this fall, I found myself in an untenable situation at my school.  Thus, after this school year, I will quit one half-time job and start scrapping together (hopefully) equivalent income via some online teaching and a lot of eBay.

We're still about 7 years short of our FIRE date, and I don't want to lose our steam, so I'm super dedicated to continuing to be Mustache-y.  I need to really push myself to boost our earnings this year, and I want to continue to trim our expenses as much as possible.

What did I do today to save money?  Well, it's National Guard drill for my husband, and on those weekends, the kids and I stay home and watch church via live stream.  Then we hang out and do household chores and projects. 

--Today I went for a rainy walk, gathered pop cans to sell to the metal man, gathered pine cones to make kindle cones with left-over candle wax. 
--I hung 2 loads of laundry
-- Did a Youtube yoga video, and used my Instapot to cook 2 squash from my garden.  They were damaged and needed used up right away.  I'm making some squash souffle as a side dish to go with pork chops. 
--Ate some leftovers that were going to go bad soon. 
--Counted cut patterns I'd thrifted (while watching church) so I can sell cut-but-complete patterns in eBay store. 
--Cleaned out 3 garden beds.  Found a handful of tomatillos and 2 cups of peppers still hanging out in the frost-shriveled plants.
--Sent off for 2 freebies I saw on Hip2save.com (possible stocking stuffers).
--Did some meal planning around current contents of pantry and freezer. 
--Husband is bringing home food from Army that likely has been out all day at the buffet and is non-edible.  Our chickens will love it, which saves on feed.

There you go!  I plan to be a regular contributor since it is such a great accountability tool. 

Horsepoor -- I live in Caldwell, and I'd love to meet up some time.  I have loved reading your posts in particular. : )

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10084 on: November 05, 2017, 06:51:21 PM »
I've been reading this thread for probably 2 years without ever bothering to register and start commenting. 

Welcome aboard Mele!

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10085 on: November 06, 2017, 02:58:13 AM »
Yesterday when I took a plane at around dinner time, I made a quick pasta meal with some blue cheese, cream, dried selfpicked mushrooms, and some spinage. Took it along in an old icecream container and found a plastic spoon at home. At this cold at the airport where all the food is very expensive.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10086 on: November 06, 2017, 07:19:42 AM »
(Welcome Mele!)

-Saved $75. We got a set of very nice dishes for our wedding a couple years ago. Since we eat alarming amounts of food (including big salads and stuff like that), we used two serving/fruit size bowls for eating from for a long time. Alas, this came to an end over the past two weeks when first one, then the second, met untimely demises. (Note to self: replace sink of doom with aluminum at next bout of DIY energy). When we looked up replacing these bowls? Drumroll please... $40 per. =0 And this is where the REAL win comes in. I had us go to a couple stores and we couldn't find good cheap replacements. We didn't want them tall/skinny like a mixing bowl, and those dimensions are hard to find. And then my husband, who classically has avoided thrift stores with all his might, suggested goodwill. Brilliant! $4.98 later, we have two fair replacements, made of pyrex. So not only is the win the money, the win is realizing just how much of a true mustachian my husband is now! To think, he would suggest Goodwill and I wouldn't even think of it!
-Once again prepped a metric amount of food for the work week. (This week: burgers, sausage breakfast sandwich, chicken pesto rice bowls, cranberry applesauce (with free apples!), and pulled pork).
-Resisted coffee while out and about yesterday. Going on a couple months without buying coffee out (for me. Husband has once, but just black drip, and only on 14+ hr travel work days). 
-Picked up a $6 long sleeve base layer at Costco yesterday that DH will try as a rashguard work around for BJJ. They're normally $20-40 per, so if this works, it'll be big savings. Especially since they don't have that long of life spans generally, they get pretty abused.

...we won't talk about how this will all be heavily offset by me dropping down from my FT schedule to a PT one at a lower pay rate ;) haha

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10087 on: November 06, 2017, 12:39:54 PM »
Let's see.
-Yesterday I made dinner from the freezer (post travel, too jet lagged for any real meal prep).
-Went through the kids ski clothes to try on & assess what we still needed. Net/net, no clothes, but short one helmet. We will return the two pair of ski pants my husband bought & get a helmet instead.
-Sold & mailed three things on eBay.
-Today will eat breakfast, lunch & all snacks at work
-Charging our electric car for free at my office
-Converted international air miles (work travels) into a $250 Amazon gift card, & two $15 movie gift cards. All will be used for Christmas. Woohoo!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:21:26 PM by MaybeBabyMustache »

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10088 on: November 06, 2017, 01:32:41 PM »
Picked up someone's collection of vintage cast-iron skillets at the thrift store. Will refurbish for Christmas gifts and/or to resell online.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Reading with children pays dividends. Recommended resources for Mustachian families: The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease |  The Read-Aloud Revival podcast by Sarah McKenzie | Books to Build On by E.D. Hirsch | The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10089 on: November 06, 2017, 07:01:20 PM »
I'm back!  Thanks for the welcomes : )

Today I hung a load of laundry, handwashed some cashmere sweaters, and made a meatloaf and improvised when I found myself short of some ingredients. 

I sold some boots on Craigslist for $100 (thrifted them for $25) and will apply it all toward a mortgage paydown (that's what I do with all C-list sales).

Leftovers for lunch.  Snack was apples I scored at local orchard for 30 cents a lb.  Kept the thermometer at 62 while we're at home, 57 if we're not.

My kiddo had a super awful day at school (fish sandwich for lunch, gasp! can you imagine!?) and then we had to go to urgent care because he had a stabbing ear infection.  After his rough Monday, I felt that motherly urge to take his sad little 7 year old face out for ice cream or some other guilty-parent splurge, but instead, I gave him extra snuggling and a long game of I Spy.

My day was off too.  Mostly related to being a parent of small children trying to adjust to the new time (+ some asthma attack issues).  Their sleep patterns are totally off which affects my work-at-home capabilities...and makes them naughty and grouchy.  On days like this, many people cave and go get takeout to make the day easier.  I didn't get everything on my list done, sure, but I also didn't ease today's stress by throwing money at it.  So that's win!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10090 on: November 07, 2017, 03:11:13 AM »

I'm switching from amaysim too, but based on my usage I only need 1.5gb so I'm switching to Bendigo bank Telco, $14.50 per month for unlimited call/text and 2.0gb.  https://www.bendigobanktelco.com.au/sim-only-plans

Ahh I meant I'm switching between Amaysim plans.

I can't believe I didn't know about Bendigo Bank Telco! Thanks for the tip!

Not sure if I posted it earlier but I was looking at switching energy providers to Amaysim as well. Filled out the online forms and today got an an email from the current provider that they would like me to call them and they will offer incentives to stay.

After going through the sales pitch I've decided to stay, after having bagged a larger discount and $100 credit off my next bill. Given my usage is so low, that $100 credit is about an 11-12% discount off my annual power and gas expenses!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:19:04 AM by marty998 »

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #10091 on: November 07, 2017, 03:42:01 AM »
I live in New Hampshire, about 45 minutes north of Boston and I haven't turned my heat on yet. It's getting into the 30's at night. Indoor temperature has been low 60's (15°c).

I'm getting acclimated to a cooler house.

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10092 on: November 07, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »
I live in New Hampshire, about 45 minutes north of Boston and I haven't turned my heat on yet. It's getting into the 30's at night. Indoor temperature has been low 60's (15°c).

I'm getting acclimated to a cooler house.

Yes, me too. We're not at home most of the day and we're actively trying to get used to a lower temperature. And it works. This is the first home we have lived in with a programmable thermostate that show the temperature in the living room. The first winter, we maintained 17 degrees C (63F) and the roommate we had then kept complaining about the cold and turned it to 20 (68F) whenever he was home alone.

Last winter, we tried to keep it at 16C (61F) but sometimes when we were cold we would turn it up to 18C (65F) for a short time. This year, we haven't used it yet. Tonight we had the very first frost of the year and when we woke up, it was 14,5 C  (58F) downstairs and probably much colder in the bedroom.

Of course, it helps that we're not at home during the day and we leave the curtains open so warmth from the sunlight can come in. The room gets warmer when we get home and start cooking, it will naturally go up to about 17C. When it starts to feel cold at night, we get a blanket and some hot tea and when it gets too cold it's usually bed time. It's a fun experiment, but you need to keep an eye on the humidity levels. You don't want to live in a humid house and risk mold.

Other than not turning on the heat, what I did last night to save money is canning a load of pears. In my country we like to eat stewed pears and they are very easy to can. I found 4 kgs of pears that were 50% off. All in all I spent €7,25 on all the ingredients (pears, berry juice and cinnamon, with some cinnamon left over) and I canned 4 jars and we also ate approx 1 jar.  That's a cost of €1,45 per jar while they cost €2 in the shop and mine taste better too.

haypug16

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10093 on: November 07, 2017, 08:19:03 AM »
I also have not turned on the heat yet, we live about 20 mins north of Boston. It's the first year we've made it past Nov 1st.

Made myself a latte and save $5 not going to Starbucks , I'm starting to get pretty good at frothing :)

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10094 on: November 07, 2017, 08:47:20 AM »
No-spend this week so that’s how I’m saving money! Grabbed a food bar I kept in my car for breakfast, have homemade caprese salad for lunch and plenty of leftovers for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10095 on: November 07, 2017, 09:36:41 AM »
-This one is truly small, but my husband runs the dishwasher after every meal. Even when it's not full. He's out of town this week, so I've already saved the cost/energy of two dishwasher loads, plus two dishwasher cleaning tablets. The tablets are $.08/each.
-As per usual, eating breakfast, lunch, snacks & drinks for free at work.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10096 on: November 07, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »
-This one is truly small, but my husband runs the dishwasher after every meal. Even when it's not full. He's out of town this week, so I've already saved the cost/energy of two dishwasher loads, plus two dishwasher cleaning tablets. The tablets are $.08/each.

Far be it for me to stick my nose in someone else's marriage, but ... you couldn't just suggest he wait till it's full?

We run our dishwasher when it's full, then save more power by turning it off and opening the door at the start of the dry cycle. It cuts 40 minutes off the full cycle.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #10097 on: November 07, 2017, 04:00:13 PM »

Far be it for me to stick my nose in someone else's marriage, but ... you couldn't just suggest he wait till it's full?

We run our dishwasher when it's full, then save more power by turning it off and opening the door at the start of the dry cycle. It cuts 40 minutes off the full cycle.

It doesn't even have to be all the way full. I generally run it once a day (unless it's so hilariously not-full that I hand-wash). I used to run it after every meal because my mother did and those things stick with you. What eventually got me was a really really loud dishwasher. Don't want to listen to that all day!
See my journal

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10098 on: November 07, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »
Ate up the last of some forgotten cereal that was slightly stale.  With yogurt, it wasn't bad at all.

Fed lots of scraps to the chickens to stretch our feed.  A few leftovers that didn't get eaten up, some apple cores, egg shells, that sort of thing.

Keeping house at 62 degrees.  Husband turns it up to 65.  I turn it back down. He doesn't notice.  Happy dance of marital bliss : )

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10099 on: November 07, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »

It doesn't even have to be all the way full. I generally run it once a day (unless it's so hilariously not-full that I hand-wash). I used to run it after every meal because my mother did and those things stick with you. What eventually got me was a really really loud dishwasher. Don't want to listen to that all day!

I'm definitely the one who worries about the small things. My husband typically follows my gentle persuasions, but for whatever reason (habit, and a general love of constantly clean dishes?), this one is harder. We also have ants in the summer & they will get into the dishwasher (*shivers* So gross) if we don't run it right away.