Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2018254 times)

payitoff

Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1000 on: June 22, 2014, 09:26:19 AM »
Stayed home yesterday for a $0 Saturday

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #1001 on: June 22, 2014, 10:43:14 PM »
Made sweet & salty kettle corn instead of buying it at the markets as I usually would. Further practice required, but half of it was *very* good, and still much cheaper.
Recipe, please.

I think it was this one: http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-and-salty-kettle-corn-rachael-ray-271419, but do actually shake the pan up-and-down sometimes, as well as just shuffling it around on the hot plate! And do take it off when the pops slow, instead of waiting for all to pop, or you will end up with burnt-sugar-lumps instead of popcorn.

theconcierge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1002 on: June 23, 2014, 05:46:13 AM »
Managed to collect 7 golf balls on my ride home from work.

I ride past the golf driving range each day, and I collect any balls that go off course and over the fence. Probably have collected about 150 this year

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1003 on: June 23, 2014, 09:06:18 AM »
Sold an extremely old gift card today (will receive about $30).  Less clutter in my drawer, more money in my pocket.

Made tea in the office.  Brought snacks and lunch stuff from home. 

Icecreamarsenal

• Bristles
  • Set me free
« Reply #1004 on: June 23, 2014, 09:43:28 AM »
Biking back home from the gym at 530am I remembered we ran out of eggs for breakfast. I started to fixate on an egg mcmuffin, rationalizing by telling myself no stores would be open at 530. After I passed the 2nd open bodega, I bought a dozen eggs and a chobani for $5 at the 3rd open one. I literally had to shake my head to help get rid of the mcmuffin fixation.
I overpaid for the eggs by 50 cents but at least it was cheaper than the mcmuffin meal and I'll get a couple of bkfsts out of it.

karaishere

• Stubble
« Reply #1005 on: June 23, 2014, 10:44:19 AM »
1) I hung dry most of our laundry! I did dry the socks and undies (and a few shirts) in the dryer, but it could have been 3 dryer loads instead of 1. Hooray!

2) I felt cold this morning with the fan on, so instead of turning the fan off, I went and bumped the thermostat up a degree (to 78). Baby steps!

3) This weekend, I sold a few things that I didn't need at my MIL's garage sale and made $35. I haven't spent that cash.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1006 on: June 23, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
Made a pumpkin chocolate chip quick bread in the bread machine. Found a neat trick online for this. Put machine on dough cycle for 3 minutes. Unplug. Using spatula, scrape down sides, plug back in and let it mix another minute. Unplug.  Plug back in and put on bake cycle (mine is 1 hour). Check for doneness with a toothpick.  Mine needed another 1/2 an hour all together, but I feel that it was well worth my time experimenting to get to the point where I can do this regularly to feed my family. Will be trying banana bread next.  Just google sweet bread or quick bread in a bread machine. Tasted excellent and was just like a quick bread made in the oven, but didn't need to use the power of the oven or heat up the house, or dirty up a bowl or get out the mixer.  Also, much less fussy than muffin tins.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1007 on: June 23, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »
E-mailed in the official cancellation of my work life insurance policy, should get about $40 back from the cash value.  We have private insurance already, no need to pay for continuation of the work policy!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1008 on: June 23, 2014, 06:45:22 PM »
Hung out laundry for a double win since it's hot as blazes and 89% humidity out there -- less cooling/dehumidifying the house.

Neglected to pack my lunch, so I ate oatmeal with raisins and peanut butter from my desk stash.

Breakfast for dinner at home (I'm on a roll here, it seems) with turkey bacon (cheaper and healthier), grits, free eggs a neighbor with hens gave us, and cathead biscuits with molasses. Bonus: there's enough left for breakfast.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1009 on: June 23, 2014, 07:46:21 PM »
Made 3 loaves of sandwich bread in the bread machine today (one after the other, of course!) and wrapped them up for the freezer for lunches. Will try to do 3 more tomorrow to build up a stash (stache?) of bread in the freezer thereby not having to buy bread at the store. 

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1010 on: June 24, 2014, 04:14:46 AM »
Made sweet & salty kettle corn instead of buying it at the markets as I usually would. Further practice required, but half of it was *very* good, and still much cheaper.
Recipe, please.

I think it was this one: http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-and-salty-kettle-corn-rachael-ray-271419, but do actually shake the pan up-and-down sometimes, as well as just shuffling it around on the hot plate! And do take it off when the pops slow, instead of waiting for all to pop, or you will end up with burnt-sugar-lumps instead of popcorn.

Thank you

Bookworm

« Reply #1011 on: June 24, 2014, 05:32:18 AM »
I had an appointment at the DMV yesterday at 3:50 and then had to take my son to a scout meeting at 7:00 in the same part of town. Instead of window shopping or reading a book or watching a show, like I'd normally do, we walked around together and collected bottles and cans. We get 5 cents in CA for every container (10 cents for those 24 ounces or over). We picked up $4.30 worth!

As a bonus, I was very tired last night because I hadn't slept well the night before, and being active instead of trying to read or stream Netflix on my phone kept me awake and alert.

karaishere

• Stubble
« Reply #1012 on: June 24, 2014, 07:27:30 AM »
1) I opened the windows and doors this morning and set up two fans to help facilitate blowing that nice, cool 65 degree air through the apartment. The apartment has cooled from 79 to 75 in less than an hour and there's still time for it to lower further.

2) Yesterday, I called maintenance to have them check the freon in the a/c unit because it seemed like it was running a lot. They found that the freon was low and recharged it!

Hooray for 2 little things that will help our a/c run less! :)

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1013 on: June 24, 2014, 08:18:17 AM »
I went to a concert tonight and didn't have to pay because I'm friends with musicians and will soon be involved in a symphonic band myself. Hurray!

But if I did have to pay, I wouldn't have gone. Also I wouldn't have gone if someone hadn't driven me. Soooo... whatevs.

I had a lovely time.

LanceBurkhart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1014 on: June 24, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »
Went to the mall to buy a dress shirt I need for an event next week. Bought the one shirt. Left!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1015 on: June 24, 2014, 08:49:15 PM »
Neither of us went down off the mountain today. That makes the day a total win in money not spent and in hassles not encountered.

Though I did have a web meeting, so there was hassle, but it was hassle I could mute if I needed to. :-)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1016 on: June 24, 2014, 08:51:33 PM »
Neither of us went down off the mountain today. That makes the day a total win in money not spent and in hassles not encountered.

Though I did have a web meeting, so there was hassle, but it was hassle I could mute if I needed to. :-)
Lol

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #1017 on: June 24, 2014, 08:52:35 PM »
Went another day without turning the AC on! Also, cleaned our own house. Now don't get too jealous of my exciting life ;)
www.Frugalwoods.com -- Ex-urban rookie homesteader finding contentment on 66 acres in Vermont with my husband, daughter, and dog

fitzgeralday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1018 on: June 24, 2014, 10:34:28 PM »
 - successfully sold unnecessary crap on craigslist - made $235
 - planning to downgrade my air voice wireless plan next month to the cheapest unlimited plan
 - recently dropped my iPhone, decided to fix up and sell for a profit

*insert fist pump*
“You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off you.” -Maya Angelou

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1019 on: June 25, 2014, 12:24:16 PM »
Turned left instead of a right down the gauntlet of enticing restaurants. I really must remember my lunch next time.

karaishere

• Stubble
« Reply #1020 on: June 25, 2014, 12:31:42 PM »
I just signed up for mail order pharmacy. My monthly cost for my prescriptions will go from $73 to $61 per month! Not to mention I won't have to spend the time or gas (or peddle power) to go to the retail pharmacy every month because a 90-day supply will be mailed to me! Hooray!

Angie55

« Reply #1021 on: June 26, 2014, 08:27:47 AM »
Refilled my disposable tissue box with a roll of toilet paper. Best part is I have it immediately without having to go to the store. Should last way longer too.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1022 on: June 26, 2014, 08:56:56 AM »
Replaced the alternator in my truck.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #1023 on: June 26, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »
Re-wore an outfit to cut down on laundry!
www.Frugalwoods.com -- Ex-urban rookie homesteader finding contentment on 66 acres in Vermont with my husband, daughter, and dog

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1024 on: June 26, 2014, 03:15:35 PM »
1) cooking 2 whole chickens in roaster (instead of oven -- not heating up house, uses less power).  Found them in the bottom of the freezer from last fall. Put roaster on front porch.

2) loaf of fruit bread going in bread machine on back porch -- also keeping heat out of the house

3) didn't put on a/c even though I wanted to -- then a nice breeze came up and dropped the house temp by almost 3 degrees. Was feeling very mustachian at that moment!

Nancy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1025 on: June 28, 2014, 11:08:26 AM »
Went to the local ethnic grocer and was floored by the low produce prices. I struggle with the fact that they are not organic (don't want to support chemical fertilizer runoff), but it saved a ton and supported a local independent store.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1026 on: June 28, 2014, 05:31:41 PM »
Switched to ting.  I should save about $15 month, AND I didn't have to give up my iPhone. 

Made a small grocery trip instead of our regular large weekend trip.  We're out of a few things, but we have enough to make it through the week.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1027 on: June 28, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »
Having homemade chicken noodle soup for dinner -- stock was made from boiling the bones of the 2 organic chickens we'd enjoyed earlier in the week.  Good to the last drop! Also, ordered another 35 organic chickens from our farmer friend that we pick up next weekend. Another year of yummy chicken ahead!

malacca

• Stubble
« Reply #1028 on: June 28, 2014, 08:02:27 PM »
Get a bidet. Never buy toilet paper again.

Amazon has some decently rated retrofit ones for under $50. They fit under your toilet seat and come with all the part to connect to the toilet.

Forget the stupid high end ones - heated and whatnot. Had several of them when living in NE asia. Waste of money.
I retired at 40. Have been having / raising kids since.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1029 on: June 29, 2014, 12:40:58 AM »
Discovered someone had "bumped" the temperature control on my fridge and my veges were frozen. So I chopped them all up to make stock instead of throwing them out.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1030 on: June 29, 2014, 09:15:51 AM »
Changed oil in wife's car,
 mowed the lawn,
 made three bicycle trips to the hardware store and one to work for more tools while fixing the p trap and drain (always need one more part).
 Ran coax cable to hook up the living room TV to the antenna for free TV (this might be considered a step backwards since we have gone three months w/o regular TV just Netflix but I like my local news/weather. )
Went trough a bunch of crap to get it ready to sell on the Internet.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who think they can and those who think they can't. They are both right. - Henry ford

allsummerlong

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1031 on: June 29, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »
Cleaned out my fridge (using soapy water and a homemade all purpose natural cleaner)

This led to the discovery if some wilting leeks, which I promptly turned into potato-leek soup.

Also making huge batches of chipotle refried black beans and falafel w/ tahini sauce, using super-cheap dried beans & other pantry staples

Goal of not wasting any food going 'fairly' well, though if did find some celery in the fridge which was slimy and couldn't be saved.

allsummerlong

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1032 on: June 29, 2014, 04:03:34 PM »
Stayed home yesterday for a $0 Saturday

I'm a big fan of the no-spend days!

Cyanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1033 on: June 29, 2014, 05:56:30 PM »
Planted the hostas that my father-in-law gave me to create a new flower bed in my yard. Also, instead of ordering pizza we made home made pizza tonight.

striving_4_awesome

« Reply #1034 on: June 29, 2014, 07:47:21 PM »
Had a long, busy day and really, really, really wanted to order pizza or go out for dinner and drinks!  Resisted and BBQ'd our dinner with a few cocktails on the patio!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1035 on: June 29, 2014, 08:26:35 PM »
Made a giant pot of dal (with barley, just for kicks). Pound of lentils, masaman curry paste, barley, carrots, spinach, salt. I now have a couple weeks' work lunches for me in addition to having it for supper tonight.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1036 on: June 30, 2014, 07:43:24 AM »
I started building some self-watering raised beds, yesterday.  The original design included pond liner, perforated irrigation pipe, and probably geotextile, so the project cost started getting pretty high.  Then I remembered reading an article about hugelkultur and changed the whole thing to a deep trench filled with old wood under the bed.  I still wanted to slow the water percolation, so I lined the trenches with old chicken feed bags.  It's going to save us dealing with some nasty old wood that wasn't going to work for firewood, too.

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #1037 on: June 30, 2014, 01:47:15 PM »
Walked to the grocery store.  Only bought the groceries that could fit under the double stroller - so no deviating from the list! 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1038 on: June 30, 2014, 02:56:21 PM »
Worked on the budget... ugh ... arguments always ensue, depending on what is valued and by whom. But in the end, consensus was reached.

NV Teacher

• Bristles
« Reply #1039 on: July 01, 2014, 06:11:14 AM »
My very picky niece needed a new swimsuit. We found one she liked on-line for $50.  We decided to go check out a couple of places before ordering.  Found one at a discount outlet store for $30 that was on clearance for 50% off.  Came home with a really nice high quality swimsuit for $15.  Everyone was happy.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1040 on: July 01, 2014, 05:45:44 PM »
1) Made hummus with the chickpeas I'd cooked up in the crockpot
2) Did a roast on the rotisserie for lunch meat this week
3) Stayed home

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1041 on: July 01, 2014, 06:32:02 PM »
Made bread in the breadmaker.

Closed up the house early this morning, now have the windows open, and a fan running rather than turning on the AC.

Stayed home rather than going out for Canada Day celebrations, might go out to see the fireworks tonight.

karaishere

• Stubble
« Reply #1042 on: July 02, 2014, 08:39:59 AM »
I saw that it was 60F this morning, so I opened the doors/windows, turned on the fans, and cooled the apartment down from 79 to 68. Feels nice and chilly in here all without a/c. :)

2bfree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1043 on: July 02, 2014, 10:14:25 AM »
I normally cook enough dinner in the evenings and take the leftovers to work for lunch the next day. I was feeling sick last night so DH allowed me to skip cooking last night (he was at work and couldn't cook either). Instead of succumbing to the temptation to buy lunch today, I took a tuna salad with me.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1044 on: July 02, 2014, 12:22:27 PM »
Remembered to set up the crock pot this morning! Makes for a happy day all day long.

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #1045 on: July 02, 2014, 03:26:43 PM »
Looked at SkyScanner, got my travel agent to beat the lowest price I found, then a work colleague scolded me for going with a national chain and got $20 better for me from a friend of his. So my flights to the US are a lot less than I budgeted for!

Zamboni

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1046 on: July 02, 2014, 04:27:15 PM »
Remembered to set up the crock pot this morning! Makes for a happy day all day long.

Crock pot days are happy days indeed!  Tonight we're going to eat leftovers that came from the crock pot a couple of days ago.

I have a high revenue temp side hustle for the next month.  It's too far to bike and parking "on site" in the gated parking deck was going to run $60 (for one freaking month of half day work!)  So I park about 5 blocks away on a free public side street and walk.  It's a really pleasant walk, too, nice and shady.  Good exercise, nice weather, and the only trick to it is that I have to get there on the early side.  If I'm 15 min late, then all the spots are filled and I'm doomed to park farther away, which of course makes me even more late.  So far that's only happened once.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #1047 on: July 02, 2014, 04:54:04 PM »
I didn't spend a dime.  I made coffee at home, then worked out and showered at the company gym (free).  Then I had free coffee from the company cafeteria, and then free lunch during a lunch meeting.  I was going to eat half a sandwich, but I ate two halves because it was free.  Is that weird? 

Then I came home and made a good dinner of organic hamburgers from Whole Foods, corn on the cob, and a crudite platter for the family (which I had bought before -- it wasn't free, but I didn't spend $ on it *today*).

Zamboni

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1048 on: July 02, 2014, 05:20:26 PM »
I was going to eat half a sandwich, but I ate two halves because it was free.  Is that weird?

No, totally normal, although that kind of thinking has unfortunately added to my waistline.  It's free food central where I work.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1049 on: July 03, 2014, 12:11:43 AM »
Drove kids to a beach today and served a yummy picnic dinner. Free parking, free swimming and beach combing. Just the cost of gas and food. A very lovely day by the seaside and exhausted children this evening ... WINNING!