Author Topic: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?  (Read 568541 times)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #850 on: July 22, 2018, 10:59:58 PM »
Replaced the ink cartridge in my fountain pen rather than buying a whole new plastic pen.

Replaced a Maglite lens that my kid had damaged, rather than replacing the whole flashlight.

Cloth diapers.

Peed in the backyard to accelerate the soil food web/mulch decomposition in a new bed with pomegranate, goji berry, two kinds of sweet potato, turmeric and ginger.

Decanted two bottles of citrus vinegar cleaner and composted the used peels.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #851 on: July 24, 2018, 01:32:12 PM »
The AC condensation line broke some time ago and it's been dripping water into the crawl space.

1) repaired the line and routed it through the crawl space wall and near a tree desperate for water.
2) put some poly down where the leak was as the start of enclosing the entire crawl space. The hygrometer read around 70% -- outside is currently 30% so there's some efficiency gains to be had there.

I routed the back unit's condensation line into some native grasses and they're flourishing. Those grasses will reach ~6 feet tall and shade the AC condensing unit.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #852 on: July 24, 2018, 11:40:11 PM »
Made foaming hand soap using liquid Castile soap, a few drops of essential oils and water. This used up the last of the Castile soap, so I have washed out the container to be refilled when we next get to the bulk shop.
Washed out the plastic bags from frozen veges, to put in the special soft plastics recycling bin at the supermarket.
Set aside paper and cardboard recycling, to get added to the worm farm.
Talked through plans to switch to more expensive, but more environmentally friendly, options in a few areas. Got husband's buy in, which is vital.
Bought bigger inserts for cloth nappies. We have been struggling to make cloth nappies work (had a wet-through in under an hour this morning...). I don't know what we will try next if the bigger inserts don't work, but I HATE creating so much landfill waste by using disposables.
Still using cloth pads.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #853 on: July 25, 2018, 01:35:14 AM »
What do people use to collect their compost scraps?

We've been using takeaway containers which are stored in the fridge but it's not really working, partly because we have a small fridge/freezer. I don't really want to buy a bin new but don't have anything to repurpose that has a lid to discourage the fruit flies. Maybe it's time to visit an op shop (thrift store)? Or ask someone that buys icecream in nice big tubs?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #854 on: July 25, 2018, 01:37:05 AM »

We've been using takeaway containers which are stored in the fridge but it's not really working, partly because we have a small fridge/freezer. I don't really want to buy a bin new but don't have anything to repurpose that has a lid to discourage the fruit flies. Maybe it's time to visit an op shop (thrift store)? Or ask someone that buys icecream in nice big tubs?

We use icecream tubs (2L ones). Mr Happier was SO SAD when I explained I needed him to eat icecream so I could collect the tubs ;-)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #855 on: July 25, 2018, 04:59:24 AM »

We use icecream tubs (2L ones). Mr Happier was SO SAD when I explained I needed him to eat icecream so I could collect the tubs ;-)
I may need to tell Ponder to do the same.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #856 on: July 25, 2018, 05:29:35 AM »

Or buy dairy-free icecream and you can do it ;-)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #857 on: July 25, 2018, 06:27:13 AM »

That's what my parents use too!  It's a good idea :)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #858 on: July 25, 2018, 11:39:05 AM »
For a long time we used an old dishwasher-pods tub in the freezer; freezer is by far the best for preventing flies.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 03:15:46 PM by jengod »

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #859 on: July 27, 2018, 02:53:29 AM »
Today, we walked to the local fish & chip store for dinner, dried clothes on the line and made a delicious garden salad from the greens I've been growing!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #860 on: July 27, 2018, 02:54:34 AM »

I would, but the tubs are not as good! The size and ease of using the lid is just not the same

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #861 on: July 27, 2018, 03:46:37 AM »

I would, but the tubs are not as good! The size and ease of using the lid is just not the same

Today I bought a 4kg laundry powder bucket which will become our compost bucket. It will be fine through winter but might not work in summer, we'll see. If not, I will convert it into an in-ground compost near the backdoor!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #862 on: July 28, 2018, 07:24:46 PM »
I put weather stripping around our front door, laundry door that leads to the outside, and the baby's room. I'll be putting some on all the other internal doors as well, as we heat rooms individually. Next up is making some sausage toys to go along the bottoms of the doors!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #863 on: July 28, 2018, 10:16:14 PM »
I put weather stripping around our front door, laundry door that leads to the outside, and the baby's room. I'll be putting some on all the other internal doors as well, as we heat rooms individually. Next up is making some sausage toys to go along the bottoms of the doors!

Can you share a link to the weather stripping you used? Because we need to do this!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #864 on: July 28, 2018, 10:18:09 PM »
Started plants from seed, and reused plastic pots from plants I'd previously bought.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #865 on: July 28, 2018, 11:40:31 PM »

Can you share a link to the weather stripping you used? Because we need to do this!
This one:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/raven-5m-superior-white-door-and-window-weather-strip-rp59-white_p3961089
DH agrees that it's also reduced the sound transfer between rooms. One box did one door, and read the instructions because you don't put it on the same surface of the frame all the way around - it's different for the part where the hinge is (I mucked one up).

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #866 on: July 29, 2018, 12:47:14 AM »

This one:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/raven-5m-superior-white-door-and-window-weather-strip-rp59-white_p3961089
DH agrees that it's also reduced the sound transfer between rooms. One box did one door, and read the instructions because you don't put it on the same surface of the frame all the way around - it's different for the part where the hinge is (I mucked one up).

Thank you!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #867 on: July 29, 2018, 03:44:16 PM »
We've been traveling by bicycle, cargo bike and public transit since Wednesday (Honda Fit is in the shop w a check-engine light).

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #868 on: August 01, 2018, 12:42:41 PM »

This one:

Thank you!
I did my toilet and laundry doors today. Then I realised the toilet door was pointless, because it is short and stops a full 2cm below the edge of the door frame! No wonder I have a draught - there's a window in the toilet that's permanently open for ventilation, doesn't have the ability to be closed. I guess we're buying a new door?!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #869 on: August 01, 2018, 01:01:58 PM »

This one:

Thank you!
I did my toilet and laundry doors today. Then I realised the toilet door was pointless, because it is short and stops a full 2cm below the edge of the door frame! No wonder I have a draught - there's a window in the toilet that's permanently open for ventilation, doesn't have the ability to be closed. I guess we're buying a new door?!

Could you add a door shoe with a sweep on it? You can get some pretty good extra distance covered that way.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #870 on: August 01, 2018, 05:27:29 PM »

This one:

Thank you!

Could you add a door shoe with a sweep on it? You can get some pretty good extra distance covered that way.
Does that work on the top of the door? It's the top that's the problem, not the bottom.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #871 on: August 01, 2018, 05:56:18 PM »
AV, maybe you could attached one of those brush excluders meant for the bottom of the door on the top of the door frame so it hangs down to cover the gap. It would not look pretty but if you are freezing now it might be a good temporary measure.

We have a mini curtain rail over our back door and a cheapo ikea curtain because the gaps are so awkward we can't sort the draughts. That would be annoying for the toilet door though! Maybe a little pelmet!!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #872 on: August 01, 2018, 06:45:58 PM »
Started carrying a set of stainless steel flatware, chopsticks and straws with me. So far have saved a plastic straw and a plastic fork & knife; SO GRATIFYING. I swear the metal straw makes drinks taste colder too LOL.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #873 on: August 01, 2018, 09:23:33 PM »
You guys are all very inspiring! 

For the last 7 months I've been transitioning to a vegan diet.  I write about it in detail in my journal.  At this point I have no plans to turn back.  I feel fantastic, I've lost weight and I'm super lean.  I fit into pants that are smaller than when I was 20 and I'm 44.  It's not all diet.  I exercise a lot more than the average person. 

There's a pretty simple formula for this transition (having your questions answered, gaining confidence etc.) and it generally takes people 3 months to change their palette. 

At work I am working on 3 initiatives - EV charging, hand dryers over paper towels and eliminating bottled water.  They each have challenges but I plan to be successful with every one of them.
the 3 months info is fascinating, I wonder if that's how long I took to stop whining about giving up dairy! I've moved from almond to soy milk and the creaminess is incredible.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #874 on: August 02, 2018, 08:39:29 AM »

This one:

Thank you!

Does that work on the top of the door? It's the top that's the problem, not the bottom.

Why not remount the door?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #875 on: August 02, 2018, 04:05:05 PM »

This one:

Thank you!

Why not remount the door?
I admit to zero diy experience with doors. Either way I'm gonna have to drill things and redo the handle, aren't I? Ok, I will investigate this.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #876 on: August 05, 2018, 06:14:08 PM »
Fairly US specific--I wrote to my senators about legislation. In a fit of especially deep climate change depression, I started googling on the various climate change solutions listed by the Drawdown project.  Number one on the list is "refrigerant management", phasing out HFCs (https://www.drawdown.org/solutions/materials/refrigerant-management).  I also discovered that there was actually legislation introduced in the Senate earlier this year that would support this phasing out in the US.  So I wrote each of my senators and asked them to support this legislation (S 2448, American Innovation and Manufacturing Act).  I also wrote my representative and asked her to introduce/support companion legislation in the House.  Then I emailed some close friends/family and asked them to do the same, fingers crossed at least one of them does.

I was also heartened to see that some of the other top 10 solutions (reducing food waste, adopting a plant rich diet) are ones that I can take action on myself.  These are already things my family and I work on but I am now inspired to increase our efforts.  Seeing how high on the list "tropical forests" is also has me inspired to look more closely into some of those carbon offset programs where you pay to have some trees planted.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #877 on: August 07, 2018, 07:52:39 PM »
Walked to my polling place instead of driving.

Made a vinegar/salt/borax solution to clean the living room rug instead of using a heavily scented commercial cleaner.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #878 on: August 07, 2018, 08:19:55 PM »
I put my compost scraps in a zipper bag in the freezer. When it's this hot out, I just dump the whole frozen brick in the compost when the bag gets full. When it's colder out, I let it thaw in the sink for a while before I take it out. No smell, and helps keep the freezer full and working at optimal levels.

I started a new job where I can walk/bike to work! There are 4 others who bike regularly out of about a 25 person staff, so pretty high percentage for here in the lower Midwest. I had to drive to a training today, but I made sure to carpool to our lunch portion.

I'm also still picking up cans for recycling as I walk my dog. I bring home plastic bags from work or ask friends who don't carry their own bags for their plastic bags. Haven't bought dog poop bags in almost two years!

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #879 on: August 07, 2018, 08:32:40 PM »
I have been following up my letter writing over the weekend (I heard back from one friend that they wrote too!) and have decided I need to broaden my horizons beyond elected officials.  So I wrote to the customer service contact of several of the grocery store chains we occasionally frequent and asked about food waste and what they are doing to cut back on it.  I specifically mentioned that I've read that a lot of food gets wasted before it even gets to the store because it's perfectly good but doesn't meet appearance standards (i.e. irregular shape and color) and that I've noticed the produce at these stores is quite uniform.

Anyway, I actually heard back from a real person at one chain (Sprouts, if anyone would care to join me).  They told me all about their practices with giving edible but not saleable food to hunger relief, and inedible food to composting or animal feed, but nothing about the incoming end.  So I wrote back and thanked them for the response and reiterated that I was interested in their buying practices and said I would be more inclined to shop there if I saw them promoting things like "irregular" produce.  Will be interested to see if I hear more back.

Also sniffed the dress I wore today and decided it was good for one more day instead of tossing it in the wash.  Less laundry and less wear and tear on the dress.  My husband seems to go through way less clothing than I do and I need to start taking a bigger page out of his book on this one.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:34:21 PM by cats »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #880 on: August 07, 2018, 09:35:53 PM »
I have been following up my letter writing over the weekend (I heard back from one friend that they wrote too!) and have decided I need to broaden my horizons beyond elected officials.  So I wrote to the customer service contact of several of the grocery store chains we occasionally frequent and asked about food waste and what they are doing to cut back on it.  I specifically mentioned that I've read that a lot of food gets wasted before it even gets to the store because it's perfectly good but doesn't meet appearance standards (i.e. irregular shape and color) and that I've noticed the produce at these stores is quite uniform.

Anyway, I actually heard back from a real person at one chain (Sprouts, if anyone would care to join me).  They told me all about their practices with giving edible but not saleable food to hunger relief, and inedible food to composting or animal feed, but nothing about the incoming end.  So I wrote back and thanked them for the response and reiterated that I was interested in their buying practices and said I would be more inclined to shop there if I saw them promoting things like "irregular" produce.  Will be interested to see if I hear more back.

Also sniffed the dress I wore today and decided it was good for one more day instead of tossing it in the wash.  Less laundry and less wear and tear on the dress.  My husband seems to go through way less clothing than I do and I need to start taking a bigger page out of his book on this one.

I don’t know where you live, but you might be interested in a program like Hungry Harvest, which is like a CSA for exactly the type of irregular and surplus produce you’re describing. We’ve been subscribers since it expanded to our area in early June, and we’ve been pleased with it. For about $20 per week (including a small delivery charge), we get a sturdy, reusable/recyclable cardboard box of several different types of irregular/surplus veggies delivered to our front porch every Friday (you can get mixed fruit/veg boxes too, but we tend to prefer veggies).

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #881 on: August 08, 2018, 07:33:16 AM »

I don’t know where you live, but you might be interested in a program like Hungry Harvest, which is like a CSA for exactly the type of irregular and surplus produce you’re describing. We’ve been subscribers since it expanded to our area in early June, and we’ve been pleased with it. For about $20 per week (including a small delivery charge), we get a sturdy, reusable/recyclable cardboard box of several different types of irregular/surplus veggies delivered to our front porch every Friday (you can get mixed fruit/veg boxes too, but we tend to prefer veggies).

Thanks for the suggestion!  I actually buy most of our produce at a local grocery that does sell more irregular produce and it also winds up being $20-25/week for our fruit/veggies, so I have a solution that is working well for me personally.  However, that's just 2 stores whereas Sprouts is a larger chain with a much bigger customer base, so I figure it's worth writing and asking if they'd consider doing something similar and actively promoting it to customers as a good thing.  I guess I'm lately feeling that while personal action is great and necessary, it's not enough. So I'm working on reducing impact also by reaching out and asking people (i.e. elected officials) and businesses with a larger impact than I have to do more also.  There are a lot of people in the US living a very carbon intensive lifestyle and I don't think they're going to change that unless they get bigger nudges than just their crazy hippy frugal neighbor or co-worker mentioning it :)

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #882 on: August 09, 2018, 07:28:25 PM »
Tonight I bought $33 of thrift store clothes, mostly dresses, because I have discovered a great local thrift store and joined there rewards program.  I will maybe return one item and donate a bag of clothes on Saturday myself.  Reduce reuse recycle, or something like that, right.

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #883 on: August 11, 2018, 08:03:29 PM »
If this is the inappropriate place for this let me know and I will delete but does anyone have any environmentally friendly ways to store breast milk? Right now we’re using these one time use plastic bags, which are very convenient and easy to store, but I hate one use plastic. We’re trying to be as green as possible with baby, using cloth diapers, hand me down clothes and toys, etc... but this has me stumped

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #884 on: August 11, 2018, 08:11:28 PM »
If this is the inappropriate place for this let me know and I will delete but does anyone have any environmentally friendly ways to store breast milk? Right now we’re using these one time use plastic bags, which are very convenient and easy to store, but I hate one use plastic. We’re trying to be as green as possible with baby, using cloth diapers, hand me down clothes and toys, etc... but this has me stumped

What about glass jars? They're freezer safe as long as you leave room at the top for the milk to expand.

Mon€yp€nny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #885 on: August 12, 2018, 02:31:33 AM »
I realized we were doing a lot of things that did not fit in our goals. I really want to change a number of things to get back on track.

So I went to the organic farm just a bit over a mile from my home yesterday. Due to medical issues and yes, laziness, I had not been there for at least 6 months. Unfortunately, I drove there by car. I really have to see whether I can get a bike attachment for my wheelchair so I can cycle again.
It was really nice to go again, the atmosphere there is so relaxed, I enjoyed watching she sheep a bit with the fruit trees in the background. The lady that runs the store once a week writes your receipt on scap paper. She has a calculator but hardly uses it. I pay her with my bank app, I just transfer the money.
Got bio dynamic veggies, fruit, eggs and heavenly goat's yoghurt.  The BD eggs are a bit expensive, think we will buy organic from the supermarket next week.

I'm also cooking more vegetarian and vegan meals. Found nice lookings meals on Pintrest.

Also I'm working on more minimalism and zero waste. I have no idea what to do with the plastic straws, makeup cotton pads etc etc I don't need anymore. The unopened will go to the local charity for the poor but the others? Maybe I'll put everything in a box for a year, date on it and everything that I haven't used will go to the correct recycling bin after a year.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #886 on: August 12, 2018, 02:46:07 AM »
Went for a daytrip with a friend using the train. She's vegan so we had organic fries with vegan mayo for lunch.

For dinner I ate some crackers and chutney that were about to go bad.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #887 on: August 12, 2018, 11:31:23 AM »

What about glass jars? They're freezer safe as long as you leave room at the top for the milk to expand.

I did this and it works, just be sure you use straight-sided jars or the jars will crack with the expansion in the freezer. Jelly jars in the 4oz or 8oz sizes work well. You can also buy reusable plastic lids if you don't want to use the metal rings and lids.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #888 on: August 12, 2018, 12:48:05 PM »
Also I'm working on more minimalism and zero waste. I have no idea what to do with the plastic straws, makeup cotton pads etc etc I don't need anymore. The unopened will go to the local charity for the poor but the others? Maybe I'll put everything in a box for a year, date on it and everything that I haven't used will go to the correct recycling bin after a year.

Depending on how strict you are on minimalism, I would just store them and use them up and don't buy new ones from now on. Cotton pads have many uses. If you're really certain you're never going to use them again, I would donate them to a friend / relative who doesn't mind that the packaging has been opened.

My mother always told me that we mend everything except for underwear, because we're not paupers. I bought some new pairs of underwear last week and the elastic came off one pair the very first time I washed it. I sewed it back on. I'm pretty good with mending and repurposing but this was a first for me. l also zig zagged around the edges of a towel that was starting to fray. Eventually, the towel will be cut up for cleaning rags, but I generally only do that when the first holes start to appear.

mxmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #889 on: August 12, 2018, 03:42:05 PM »
We've hardly turned the AC on all day!

Mon€yp€nny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #890 on: August 13, 2018, 10:53:36 AM »
@Imma, I would have returned that underwear without any shame. I'm replacing all my undies with Sloggi everlast. They come with lifetime warranty. I was so sick of low quality underwear, total waste of cotton etc.

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #891 on: August 13, 2018, 08:59:17 PM »

I did this and it works, just be sure you use straight-sided jars or the jars will crack with the expansion in the freezer. Jelly jars in the 4oz or 8oz sizes work well. You can also buy reusable plastic lids if you don't want to use the metal rings and lids.

Thanks! I’ll have to check with daycare to make sure they’ll accept the glass jars but at the very least I can use them for my at home stash

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #892 on: August 14, 2018, 04:55:25 AM »

Thanks! I’ll have to check with daycare to make sure they’ll accept the glass jars but at the very least I can use them for my at home stash
I use plastic tubs that are made for my pump, unsure if you could find something similar? It means I don't have to worry about smashing something in a sleep deprived moment.
https://www.babybunting.com.au/avent-via-breast-milk-containers.html

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #893 on: August 14, 2018, 10:47:23 AM »
Took transit and back to my first ever mammogram. Kept a car off the road and didn’t have to pay for parking ($9 minimum).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #894 on: August 15, 2018, 01:09:08 AM »
Walked to work and will walk back later today.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #895 on: August 15, 2018, 12:39:03 PM »
Packed lunch using reusable containers, including a silicone envelope in place of a plastic sandwich bag. Continue to use a metal straw at work. Lunch consisted largely of produce I grew at home without pesticides (just neem oil).

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #896 on: August 15, 2018, 06:31:48 PM »
Got hungry at work, contemplated buying a snack, but after reading about China turning away more and more “recycling” from the US I decided I could stand not to add another piece of packaging to the trash. Ate some oatmeal (purchased in bulk) that I keep at my desk for such occasions  instead.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #897 on: August 16, 2018, 12:50:10 AM »
Walk to work again. Will not walk back, as my DH will come over here with the car for a repair.

dashuk

• Bristles
« Reply #898 on: August 16, 2018, 03:24:17 AM »
At work I am working on 3 initiatives - EV charging, hand dryers over paper towels and eliminating bottled water.  They each have challenges but I plan to be successful with every one of them.

Interested by this one, because it doesn't appear as clear cut either way as, say, drinking tapwater. Fair amount of embodied energy in making a hand dryer, plus a kW or so of power when it's running. Paper towels could be made from pretty low-grade recycled paper, and will biodegrade pretty quickly. But then you're going to need a lot of them over the lifetime of the hand-dryer, they probably come wrapped in plastic, etc. Have you seen any sort of whole-life analysis of this?

In the spirit of the thread, while I was pondering this, rather than use the bathroom on my floor of the office, I walked downstairs to the changing rooms, because I've got a towel there for showering after the cycle commute anyway. No paper towels or hand dryers involved!

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #899 on: August 16, 2018, 09:20:05 AM »

Interested by this one, because it doesn't appear as clear cut either way as, say, drinking tapwater. Fair amount of embodied energy in making a hand dryer, plus a kW or so of power when it's running. Paper towels could be made from pretty low-grade recycled paper, and will biodegrade pretty quickly. But then you're going to need a lot of them over the lifetime of the hand-dryer, they probably come wrapped in plastic, etc. Have you seen any sort of whole-life analysis of this?

In the spirit of the thread, while I was pondering this, rather than use the bathroom on my floor of the office, I walked downstairs to the changing rooms, because I've got a towel there for showering after the cycle commute anyway. No paper towels or hand dryers involved!

There is life cycle analysis of this, the hand dryers appear to win: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969715001424.  From the abstract, it looks like the major impact of the hand dryer is the power it uses.  If your office building is powered by renewables, I imagine that might help to make the dryer even more attractive.

My dad used to tell us to just shake off our hands or wipe them on our pants rather than using a paper towel or dryer and I think I need to start doing that more often.  There's no real NEED for either paper towel or a dryer for me personally in most instances.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!