Author Topic: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?  (Read 95519 times)

greengardens

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #800 on: June 13, 2018, 06:01:31 AM »
The pump on my liquid soap dispenser broke. Instead of buying a new dispenser I bought a new Pump. Still had to throw away the old pump but better than throwing away the whole thing!

okcisok

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #801 on: June 13, 2018, 05:41:21 PM »
Remember to take a plastic grocery bag with me on the dog's walk. I have the specialty poo bags clipped to the leash, but I've been trying to cut down on them--one-use plastic and something I have to pay for. I use fabric bags for my groceries, so I have friends who don't save me their castoff bags and use them for the dog's business.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #802 on: June 14, 2018, 03:20:09 AM »
Made biscuits (cookies) instead of walking to the shops to buy them.

Walked to the library for baby rhyme time.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #803 on: June 16, 2018, 06:10:04 PM »
Jumping in. My recycling company no longer accepts virtually ANY plastics. Only gallon size milk jugs. Full stop. Throwing away cottage cheese and sour cream and yogurt containers is KILLING me. We used to have a 3/4 full recycling bin and a 1 bag trash can a week. Now we have like 1/4 and a full trash bin. SO. I am making a plan. I already own an instant pot.

-I picked up conventional milk and cream to start, in case I screw up a batch or two. But I'm going to use my IP to make cottage cheese, sour cream, and yogurt myself. When I get the recipes tuned in, I'll start buying the organic variety of this local brand I always buy.
-Also entertaining making my own laundry detergent now, since I can't recycle those bottles either. Recipes are welcome. I have a LOT of skin sensitivites, so I've been using the Ecos brand from costco. We have an HE washer, so it needs to be compatible.
-Finally got myself organized enough to get the deposit down for our 1/4 cow from a local lady we like. Grass fed, uses biodiesel, etc. I was buying some organic beef at costco as a stopgap, but I really prioritize local too.
-Garden is coming along.
-Picked cherries from a relative's. She's not able body enough to do it solo, and they would go to waste otherwise. Gifted some to her, of course, and brought a lot home for ourselves. Now to figure out what to do with them! The tree isn't sprayed or netted, so a lot of them have bad spots. Jam maybe? They're on the tart side of sweet.

(Also, please don't jump on me re: meat+dairy. A lot goes into our decision to eat the way we do, and we're not blind to the environmental impacts of it. Better is sometimes the best you can do when "best" isn't a good option. Thanks for understanding.)
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #804 on: June 16, 2018, 06:50:43 PM »
I'd suggest cherry pie, but I don't think you'd do the pie crust?

(Also, please don't jump on me re: meat+dairy. A lot goes into our decision to eat the way we do, and we're not blind to the environmental impacts of it. Better is sometimes the best you can do when "best" isn't a good option. Thanks for understanding.)

I'd like to believe this is a jumping-on-people free zone.

My personal belief is that anyone who is putting thought into the impact of what they're eating is miles ahead of anyone who isn't (that statement applies to health as well as environment), plus different bodies tolerate foods differently. My body feels great on loads of beans, nuts and seeds; if I couldn't digest beans I might make completely different choices.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #805 on: June 16, 2018, 07:52:26 PM »
Bracken_Joy, Iíve seen recipes for Paleo fruit crisps that look pretty good.

Cherry mole tacos: https://newleafwellness.biz/2016/11/03/crockpot-cherry-chicken-mole-tacos/ (surprisingly good considering the source is a white lady from Pittsburgh)
Cherry salsa: https://nwedible.com/cherry-salsa-canning-recipe/ (havenít tried it but sounds delicious!)

* Weíve been eating a ton of local veggies from our CSA box and farmerís market. I sautťed a new-to-me variety of squash with chard and kale with our dinner tonight.
* making a batch of homemade yogurt in the Instant Pot tonight.
* the last bit of last weekís milk smelled a little off so itís going into pancakes tomorrow morning.
* bought bulk (1lb) bags of two herbal teas that our local natural food market doesnít stock online. We drink a lot of iced herbal tea in the summer!
* I took a soapmaking class. I had to drive a reasonable distance to get to the class and the recipe we made wasnít the most natural (I avoid palm oil and synthetic fragrances, but thatís what was provided), but I wanted to learn the process so I can make soap from locally sourced ingredients like lard, tallow, and beeswax!
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

OtherJen

• Stubble
« Reply #806 on: June 16, 2018, 08:49:34 PM »
Oh wow, Iím saving that cherry mole recipe. We have 3 lbs of cherries in our freezer from a Hungry Harvest delivery a couple of weeks ago, and we love mole.

We just received our third Hungry Harvest delivery yesterday, and it really makes me conscious of what fruits and veggies I have on hand and what needs to be used to avoid waste. I boiled potatoes for salad and sautťed zucchini noodles for a side dish early today, before the outside temperature went up. I have plans for a few more of the veggies tomorrow.

OtherJen

• Stubble
« Reply #807 on: June 16, 2018, 08:56:39 PM »

My personal belief is that anyone who is putting thought into the impact of what they're eating is miles ahead of anyone who isn't (that statement applies to health as well as environment), plus different bodies tolerate foods differently. My body feels great on loads of beans, nuts and seeds; if I couldn't digest beans I might make completely different choices.

This is nice to read. I have celiac disease (i.e., no gluten) and try to eat as varied a diet as possible, so I prefer not to put additional restrictions on my diet beyond the medically necessary one. Itís a balance: I feel really good when the bulk of my diet is plant-based and not highly processed, but my body craves some animal fat/protein every day. Even a couple of eggs or a piece of cheese is enough.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #808 on: June 16, 2018, 09:02:33 PM »

This is nice to read. I have celiac disease (i.e., no gluten) and try to eat as varied a diet as possible, so I prefer not to put additional restrictions on my diet beyond the medically necessary one. Itís a balance: I feel really good when the bulk of my diet is plant-based and not highly processed, but my body craves some animal fat/protein every day. Even a couple of eggs or a piece of cheese is enough.

Gluten is such a great example, because it can literally give people cancer, yet my body is a-okay on plenty of wheat (I've done full elimination diets).

I love eggs, but with a recently acquired suspected egg allergy (yet to be confirmed by an allergist) I'm worried they're going to be something I never get to eat again. While I aspire to be mostly-vegan, I sure would have loved to have eggs once a fortnight or so.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #809 on: June 16, 2018, 10:47:22 PM »
Okay friends: has anyone successfully used a non-glyphosate method to kill oxalis? I've been researching and it looks like pulling the weeds makes it spread even faster; there are varying accounts of how successful the boiling water method is. I like the concept of snipping off all leaves on all plants as soon as you see them, but that's also very labour intensive and requires a level of vigilance I may or may not possess. But if someone tells me it definitely works, I'll try it!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #810 on: June 16, 2018, 10:59:29 PM »
Okay friends: has anyone successfully used a non-glyphosate method to kill oxalis? I've been researching and it looks like pulling the weeds makes it spread even faster; there are varying accounts of how successful the boiling water method is. I like the concept of snipping off all leaves on all plants as soon as you see them, but that's also very labour intensive and requires a level of vigilance I may or may not possess. But if someone tells me it definitely works, I'll try it!
I've heard a tiny gardening flamethrower thing can work on weeds. If someone confirms that would work, can I use you as an excuse to purchase one? :P

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #811 on: June 16, 2018, 11:04:22 PM »
I've heard a tiny gardening flamethrower thing can work on weeds. If someone confirms that would work, can I use you as an excuse to purchase one? :P

Ooooh I did notice that Diggers sells those. I wonder if they'd ship it to Perth... Also useful when the Triffids rise.

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #812 on: June 17, 2018, 03:38:51 AM »

Ooooh I did notice that Diggers sells those. I wonder if they'd ship it to Perth... Also useful when the Triffids rise.

I have a weed problem in the garden too and I was told about those mini flamethrowers as well. I have been too scared to try them, if you decide to try it please let me know how it went. It's not extremely dry around here, but the weeds are close to my house and I can already see myself accidentally setting my house on fire....

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #813 on: June 17, 2018, 08:36:34 AM »

Thanks <3 From the responses, I can tell this is a far more welcoming and tolerant space then my anxiety convinced me it would be.

Bracken_Joy, Iíve seen recipes for Paleo fruit crisps that look pretty good.

Cherry mole tacos: https://newleafwellness.biz/2016/11/03/crockpot-cherry-chicken-mole-tacos/ (surprisingly good considering the source is a white lady from Pittsburgh)
Cherry salsa: https://nwedible.com/cherry-salsa-canning-recipe/ (havenít tried it but sounds delicious!)

Oh man, saving that mole recipe. And fruit crisp is a great idea. We both do totally fine with oats (husband so long as we don't eat too many, or he's had a really active day), so a toasty oat'n'nut crust could be great. I didn't even think about just tweaking a blackberry recipe or something!

I'm not sure how I feel about cherry salsa! I really dislike salsa with mango or corn, any sweet pockets like that. Maybe with the cherries being more tart than sweet? Maybe I'll try that if I get a second haul this year.

I have a weed problem in the garden too and I was told about those mini flamethrowers as well. I have been too scared to try them, if you decide to try it please let me know how it went. It's not extremely dry around here, but the weeds are close to my house and I can already see myself accidentally setting my house on fire....

Those flame week killers are super fun! But you're totally right Imma, they're kinda terrifying! You need to set up a really good perimeter, have 5-gal buckets of water on standby, etc. They're considered the gold standard around here for invasives, though.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #814 on: June 17, 2018, 08:59:23 AM »

Thanks <3 From the responses, I can tell this is a far more welcoming and tolerant space then my anxiety convinced me it would be.

Even within a meat+dairy containing diet there's still lots of space for tweaking to reduce environmental impact. Beef, pork and cheese are environmentally the worst, so replacing those by e.g. chicken already has a tremendous impact (if I remember correctly beef is 3-4x worse than chicken but correct me if I'm wrong!).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #815 on: June 17, 2018, 09:10:10 AM »

Even within a meat+dairy containing diet there's still lots of space for tweaking to reduce environmental impact. Beef, pork and cheese are environmentally the worst, so replacing those by e.g. chicken already has a tremendous impact (if I remember correctly beef is 3-4x worse than chicken but correct me if I'm wrong!).

I've struggled with this logistically recently- growing up, we raised our own chicken and turkey, so obviously could control a LOT of factors there. But now that I'm purchasing instead, it's been quite difficult- while there's a 25% or so premium to get local organic grass fed and finished beef over store bought conventional, there's a 5-6x price difference for chicken for even just store bought organic and local vs conventional. And even then, I can't find a good local farmer for it where the price difference isn't more like 10x! How do others deal with that, without raising their own? We live in the suburbs now, so hobby farming isn't really an option.

(We do fish a fair bit as well, to take the burden off land-based meats. And game when we have it. But a fair bit of our meat is still purchased)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #816 on: June 17, 2018, 12:33:35 PM »

I've struggled with this logistically recently- growing up, we raised our own chicken and turkey, so obviously could control a LOT of factors there. But now that I'm purchasing instead, it's been quite difficult- while there's a 25% or so premium to get local organic grass fed and finished beef over store bought conventional, there's a 5-6x price difference for chicken for even just store bought organic and local vs conventional. And even then, I can't find a good local farmer for it where the price difference isn't more like 10x! How do others deal with that, without raising their own? We live in the suburbs now, so hobby farming isn't really an option.

(We do fish a fair bit as well, to take the burden off land-based meats. And game when we have it. But a fair bit of our meat is still purchased)

I read the arguments in favor of ruminants as nitrogen fixers! :-) But we live in the Appalachians so a lot of land is really only suitable for grazing.

Are there are farmers in your area that offer bulk pricing on chickens? I pretty much only buy whole chickens, usually from a family that offers buy 5, get one free on whole chickens, and part them myself. We donít have anywhere near the cost difference in our area, though. I pay $3.50-$4.50/lb for pastured chickens from local farmers depending on organic, etc. and I think the non-sale price at the grocery store is around $1/lb?

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

krmit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #817 on: June 17, 2018, 12:44:21 PM »
@Bracken_Joy, I'd love to hear what recipe you use for cottage cheese if it works out.

I make my own powdered laundry detergent (and actually store it in a plastic yogurt container): 1 cup borax to 1 cup washing soda to 1 cup shredded Fels-Naptha soap. I use 1 tablespoon per load in my non-HE washer.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #818 on: June 17, 2018, 01:02:33 PM »
@Bracken_Joy, I'd love to hear what recipe you use for cottage cheese if it works out.

I make my own powdered laundry detergent (and actually store it in a plastic yogurt container): 1 cup borax to 1 cup washing soda to 1 cup shredded Fels-Naptha soap. I use 1 tablespoon per load in my non-HE washer.

I'm doing this recipe for the cottage cheese: https://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-homemade-cottage-cheese-recipe/ and this for the sour cream: https://brigettholmes.com/recipe/make-cultured-sour-cream-instant-pot/ I'll report back on how they turn out =)

Re: the detergent, I found this comment: "That is the question Iíve gotten the most in the 100+ comments on my original laundry detergent recipe tutorial. I donít personally have a high efficiency washing machine but have heard from dozens of readers and friends who do and theyíve used this in an HE washer with no problems.

The main concern with a high efficiency washer is creating too much suds, so a low-suds soap or detergent is suggested. This recipe is low-suds by definition and should be safe for HE, but always check with the instructions that came with your machine to make sure before using." From: https://wellnessmama.com/27059/high-efficiency-laundry-detergent/ And her recipe sounds a lot like yours! I guess I could always try making it, and if it doesn't rinse clean, then gift it through Buy Nothing or something. Having add a second rinse would definitely undo all the benefits! Haha.

I read the arguments in favor of ruminants as nitrogen fixers! :-) But we live in the Appalachians so a lot of land is really only suitable for grazing.

Are there are farmers in your area that offer bulk pricing on chickens? I pretty much only buy whole chickens, usually from a family that offers buy 5, get one free on whole chickens, and part them myself. We donít have anywhere near the cost difference in our area, though. I pay $3.50-$4.50/lb for pastured chickens from local farmers depending on organic, etc. and I think the non-sale price at the grocery store is around $1/lb?

That's a good idea on the bulk. Maybe I'll call around. I'll admit I haven't looked hard this year.

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #819 on: June 17, 2018, 01:13:33 PM »

That's a tough one indeed. It's always hard to try to optimize between better/organic products and low cost. However, this wasn't the point I was trying to make. Honestly, whether meat is organic or local or not has only a small effect on its environmental impact. In many cases organic meat can even be worse for the environment as animals need more space and grow slower (so use more resources while alive). Growing a cow, even if you do it yourself, just does cost a temendous amount of resources and emits lots of greenhouse gasses. For chicken or pigs these numbers are still much higher than for plants, but already lots lower compared to the beef-producing cows. Just giving up beef, while eating an equal amount of total meat could therefore already reduce your environmental impact by quite a lot (depending on how much your consumption was to start with ofc.)

Here's an example of an article that discusses the matter and provides some numbers. It was the first one I found on Google so not necessarily the most thourough/accurate one, but the general line of evidence is clear.

btw; not trying to "jump on you" or judge you but just trying to provide ideas to reduce your impact without completely going vegetarian.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:53:54 PM by Hirondelle »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #820 on: June 17, 2018, 06:18:01 PM »
Those flame week killers are super fun! But you're totally right Imma, they're kinda terrifying! You need to set up a really good perimeter, have 5-gal buckets of water on standby, etc. They're considered the gold standard around here for invasives, though.

That sounds... more intense than I was expecting. I just have a suburban yard (my block is only 0.11 acres, and it's mostly house). I'll be torching weeds that are growing between pavers, and in flower beds with (damp) mulch and fruit trees. I was planning to have a bucket of water on hand, and good stomping shoes if I need to stomp a tiny fire out. I might talk this through with some locals to see if I'm in danger of starting a real fire.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #821 on: June 17, 2018, 08:13:21 PM »

That sounds... more intense than I was expecting. I just have a suburban yard (my block is only 0.11 acres, and it's mostly house). I'll be torching weeds that are growing between pavers, and in flower beds with (damp) mulch and fruit trees. I was planning to have a bucket of water on hand, and good stomping shoes if I need to stomp a tiny fire out. I might talk this through with some locals to see if I'm in danger of starting a real fire.

They're fairly easy to rent and borrow around here, maybe check into a rental situation? And then you have the added benefit of picking people's brains. I know we don't take near the precautions in the winter (soooo wet) as we do in the summer (soooo dry). So seasonality plays a role too!

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #822 on: June 17, 2018, 11:24:50 PM »
I am also overrun by oxalis. I was going to purchase this sort of mini soldering iron thing (to burn words into wood). Maybe I could use it to zap weeds near the house??? There's no naked flame, I could stick the prong into the roots.

The Guru

• Stubble
« Reply #823 on: June 18, 2018, 05:55:46 AM »

we have one of those at the commercial greenhouse where I work, and you'd be amazed how much heat it takes to kill a weed (though useful to incinerate all those seeds oxalis throws off). Have you tried vinegar w/ a few drops of dish soap as a spreader? This burns off the foliage quite well (especially in full sun; you'll see results faster than w/ glyphosate); it doesn't kill the root, but if you do successive sprays the root will die due to lack of food from the foliage.

birdie55

• Stubble
« Reply #824 on: June 18, 2018, 08:58:35 AM »
Bracken Joy,

This Old Gal has a yogurt recipe that many, many people use successfully, on the IP facebook group.  I have never tried it, I don't eat enough yogurt to warrant making it myself.  However, I've read many posts about it. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #825 on: June 18, 2018, 09:01:09 AM »
Bracken Joy,

This Old Gal has a yogurt recipe that many, many people use successfully, on the IP facebook group.  I have never tried it, I don't eat enough yogurt to warrant making it myself.  However, I've read many posts about it.

Thanks! I do have a yogurt recipe I've made a few times already, although it's been a while. Cottage cheese and sour cream are new for me =)

The cottage cheese turned out okay, although *very* mild in flavor. I may try doing a fermented cottage cheese next, and see if I like the flavors better.

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #826 on: June 18, 2018, 12:19:58 PM »

we have one of those at the commercial greenhouse where I work, and you'd be amazed how much heat it takes to kill a weed (though useful to incinerate all those seeds oxalis throws off). Have you tried vinegar w/ a few drops of dish soap as a spreader? This burns off the foliage quite well (especially in full sun; you'll see results faster than w/ glyphosate); it doesn't kill the root, but if you do successive sprays the root will die due to lack of food from the foliage.

I can confirm it doesn't work for Japanse knotweed. I wouldn't be surprised if that stuff doesn't even catch fire. I'm sure the roots would not be damaged, but if I could only burn off the parts above ground at least I wouldn't have to weed for about a week.

Chelidonium en nettles etc we just mow every now and then.

Duchess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #827 on: June 18, 2018, 12:33:02 PM »
Ooh, I like this thread! Canít believe I only just found it.

Taking the slowly, slowly approach to living a more environmentally-minded life. Today I:

- Remembered to take stainless steel straws for my toddler to use for her drink at the cafe.

- Used bar soap rather than shower gel packaged in plastic. If only I could get my husband on board. Thankfully a small zero waste store opened in a nearby city and theyíve started stocking bulk shower gel.

- Have got the whole family using bamboo toothbrushes.

- Found a second-hand Le Partfait canning jar at the charity shop (aka thrift shop/op shop). This will help with plastic-free purchases.

- Found a second-hand skirt for my little one at the charity shop.

- Arranged a play date within walking distance of home reducing the need to get in the car.

- Took a fancy dress that no longer fits to a dress agency to be sold.

- Inspired by this thread, used a bucket to collect the water from warming up the shower and used it to water the veggie patch.

- Also inspired by this thread, increased the variety of things added to the compost heap.

- Continued to use my second-hand iPhone 5s rather than continually upgrading to the newest model.

Unfortunately also had a couple of fails:

- Tried to turn a ripped pair of jeans into demin shorts but theyíre far too snug around the thigh area to look presentable. Having borrowed a friendís overlocker (aka serger), I might salvage the fabric and make some bags to use at the bulk store.

- Tried to use eco-friendly laundry detergent from the zero waste shop but it did not do a decent enough job of getting our clothes clean. Maybe itís our European front-loading energy-efficient washing machine?
ďWe act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.Ē

― Charles Kingsley

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #828 on: June 18, 2018, 12:45:12 PM »
Oh! I forgot one I was happy about, because it's: helping a friend, frugal, AND lessening environmental impact. Friend has been slowly transitioning to glass reusable tupperware type container. Her old plastic ones are stained, cracking, and she doesn't use them because she hates them. I'm 100% sure they contribute to her cooking less. She's been buying the new glass ones one at a time for ELEVEN DOLLARS apiece at the grocery store. Gasp! So I directed her to a few store options and gave her some coupons. We were able to get our whole set for $24 and there's a lot of pieces, so I'm hoping she can score a similar deal.

-Continuing my dairy experiments. Round 2 today. Trying the same cottage cheese recipe, with better planning and technique. We saved cottage cheese tubs and sour cream tubs, so we even have correctly labeled containers =P

-My usual stuff: open/close up house overnight to minimize HVAC use. Gardening, never use any sprays or anything. Used my reusable glass jar collection (many saved from pasta sauces) to divvy up rice we bulk purchase. The food we're getting our dog on buys carbon offsets, locally sources ingredients, uses ethically compensated domestic labor, etc. (I know those are not all environmental factors, but it all matters to me).

-Reusing a ton of items for the puppy from our previous dog, and hand me downs from neighbors and family. We've only purchased a couple items (the puppy kong has helped a lot), otherwise it's only been food and natural chews. Harness, crate, exercise pen, baby gates, dog beds, bowls, all of it is reused and/or hand me downs.