Author Topic: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?  (Read 76330 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #700 on: April 14, 2018, 05:12:38 AM »
Ended up having to buy some baby clothes new (got as many hand-me-downs as we could via Buy Nothing but did not strike gold; still had to acquire quite a few things in the next size for winter. No baby clothes at all in any of my local op shops!). We took reusable grocery bags to pack our purchases. I'm used to bringing my own bags for groceries but don't really think about it for "stuff" shopping (mostly because I just avoid shopping at all costs).

I tried to take some baby toys to Vinnie's as a favour for someone and they wouldn't have them. Cited hygiene. I wonder if it's put people off donating anything baby. They did take the clothes off me and some scruffy books, a bunch of CDs but turned their nose up at many useful bits. Got rid of it all on FB so it didn't go in the bin.

I wonder if this is just St. Vinnie's.   I could swear I have seen baby clothes at Goodwill?

No Goodwill in my city / country.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #701 on: April 14, 2018, 05:57:34 AM »
Ended up having to buy some baby clothes new (got as many hand-me-downs as we could via Buy Nothing but did not strike gold; still had to acquire quite a few things in the next size for winter. No baby clothes at all in any of my local op shops!). We took reusable grocery bags to pack our purchases. I'm used to bringing my own bags for groceries but don't really think about it for "stuff" shopping (mostly because I just avoid shopping at all costs).

I tried to take some baby toys to Vinnie's as a favour for someone and they wouldn't have them. Cited hygiene. I wonder if it's put people off donating anything baby. They did take the clothes off me and some scruffy books, a bunch of CDs but turned their nose up at many useful bits. Got rid of it all on FB so it didn't go in the bin.

I wonder if this is just St. Vinnie's.   I could swear I have seen baby clothes at Goodwill?

No Goodwill in my city / country.

Got it!  I was interested when you mentioned Vinnie's, as I grew up with those in the midwest US.   But I have not seen any Vinnie's since I moved to the east coast . . . Regional thing I guess.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #702 on: April 15, 2018, 03:12:35 AM »
This is from a couple of days ago. We stayed in a cabin in a caravan park for the better part of a week on holidays. We made the mistake of grocery shopping while hungry and overestimated how much we’d actually cook.

Instead of throwing out a bag of veggies (or trying to transport it home in a hot cramped car over several days and it all going off), I put it all in a bag and went for a wander. Found a young family camping nearby and asked if they’d like our veggies.

They said yes and seemed very happy to have them! So I saved some food waste and hopefully saved a young family a few dollars.

Which reminds me: before we went away I managed to run down our perishables almost completely except for garlic. So our friend got a small bag of garlic with her birthday present the night before we left on our holiday.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #703 on: April 15, 2018, 12:29:18 PM »
We heard on TV that biologically degradable plastic bags often don't degrade in a composting bin. They need a lot of hest, which is only retrieved in a professional garbage factory.
We noticed that the bags in our compost bin don't degrade fast enough. When we take out the composted earth at the end of the season, there are still grey plastic strips. From now on we will thow away the green stuff without the bag. We placed a separate container for the bags beside the compost bin, so that it is easy to throw away the bag.
I fished a pile of half degraded plastic bags out of the top layer of compost.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #704 on: April 15, 2018, 10:52:36 PM »
* Brought reusable shopping bags and produce bags to grocery shop. Bought milk in reusable glass bottles.

* Drank the juice of a blood orange that we grew in our very own yard. The tree has taken years to produce any substantial fruit crop but it's pretty darn tasty.

* We have a outdoor faucet that drips. Placed one of our potted pineapples and a native tree under there to absorb the drips, and then put the watering can under to collect more from around the yard. I've noticed goldfinches perch on the watering can and drink the water!

* Watered herb bed with greywater runoff from sink/dishwasher/laundry.

* Collected and crushed wind-blown leaves for mulch.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 10:59:21 PM by jengod »
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Reading with children pays dividends. Recommended resources for Mustachian families: The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease |  The Read-Aloud Revival podcast by Sarah McKenzie | Books to Build On by E.D. Hirsch | The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #705 on: April 16, 2018, 03:20:10 AM »
Not from today, but we received the water bill today.

We did some DIY this winter and found a few small leaks in our pipes. We fixed them and now our water bill is 17% lower! That's only 5/month, but it's a lot of water saved. We have also installed a water saving toilet, so I hope to be able to reduce our bills even further in the future.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #706 on: April 16, 2018, 05:07:38 AM »
Not from today, but we received the water bill today.

We did some DIY this winter and found a few small leaks in our pipes. We fixed them and now our water bill is 17% lower! That's only 5/month, but it's a lot of water saved. We have also installed a water saving toilet, so I hope to be able to reduce our bills even further in the future.

That's great Imma!  Congrats!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #707 on: April 16, 2018, 06:22:41 PM »
Yesterday DH and I bought some new clothes from a vintage/secondhand clothes shop.

He got a shirt that he should be able to wear to work and some cuff links (looked new and were about half the price of ones we’ve seen in department stores).

I got an A-line long wool jacket for winter (and if I end up not wearing it, DH is happy to have it). And I got a gorgeous waistcoat.

All of it was in as-new condition. Huzzah!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #708 on: April 17, 2018, 12:15:44 AM »
Walked to and from my brother's house instead of driving.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #709 on: April 17, 2018, 06:41:00 AM »
Used up overripe bananas and sour milk by making muffins. Greased the pan with butter instead of using liners.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #710 on: April 17, 2018, 12:27:43 PM »
Walked to the post office instead of adding distance to my work drive. Plus, bonus exercise!
I try to remember to wear pants if I expect to be crawling on the ground.

Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/in-which-i-reap-the-rewards-of-hard-work-and-patience/
Blog: frugalparagon.wordpress.com

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #711 on: April 18, 2018, 11:31:01 PM »
I went fishing for a bit today but it was crazy windy. So I actually spent most of my time picking up trash around the area I was fishing. Ended up with a plastic grocery bag full mostly of beer cans and plastic liquor bottles. I once stumbled upon a geocache in the same area while picking up trash.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #712 on: April 19, 2018, 12:33:56 PM »
Went for a walk in the neighbourhood this evening, and yesterday, and picked up some garbage.

At work we have a perforator that worked really badly. I though I had to order a new one. But then I asked the janitor to grease it. Now it works fine again.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #713 on: April 19, 2018, 12:36:49 PM »
DH just had an operation in a hospital 1,5 hour driving from home. He is not allowed to drive home. I had planned to pick him up tomorrow. But he said he is feeling so well now that he is planning to take the train home.

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #714 on: April 19, 2018, 12:49:23 PM »
DH just had an operation in a hospital 1,5 hour driving from home. He is not allowed to drive home. I had planned to pick him up tomorrow. But he said he is feeling so well now that he is planning to take the train home.

Did he have surgery for the heart issue you have discussed on here? I'm glad to hear he's feeling well now, I hope he's going to feel a lot better now.

It kind of sounds like he's planning to take the train on his own. I would check with the hospital if they're willing to let him go home alone. A few years back I had a (relatively minor) surgery that required an overnight stay. I was going to take the bus home the next day, but the hospital said I'd have to stay another night if I planned on travelling home alone. I also felt well, the bus ride was 45 minutes and the stop right in front of my house, but the hospital still wasn't comfortable with it. I guess legally they wouldn't have been able to force me to stay another night, but I called around and in the end found someone willing to give me a ride home. 

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #715 on: April 19, 2018, 01:18:11 PM »

Did he have surgery for the heart issue you have discussed on here? I'm glad to hear he's feeling well now, I hope he's going to feel a lot better now.

It kind of sounds like he's planning to take the train on his own. I would check with the hospital if they're willing to let him go home alone. A few years back I had a (relatively minor) surgery that required an overnight stay. I was going to take the bus home the next day, but the hospital said I'd have to stay another night if I planned on travelling home alone. I also felt well, the bus ride was 45 minutes and the stop right in front of my house, but the hospital still wasn't comfortable with it. I guess legally they wouldn't have been able to force me to stay another night, but I called around and in the end found someone willing to give me a ride home.

Yes, it is that heart surgery. I will warn him to ask the hospital explisitely. I don't feel like asking them behind his back.

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #716 on: April 19, 2018, 02:49:00 PM »
These comments are so enjoyable to read. I walk 5-6 days per week, taking various routes through my town. The last couple weeks I've starting picking up the misc garbage and recycling that tends to get blown out of cans on windy days.

Confirmed that my new office mate knows where the recycling cans are and emphasized that we are big in recycling (he throws his recycling in his trash can daily). The majority of us use reusable water bottles and coffee/tea mugs but he is a 10 cup of coffee, take a new paper cup each time, plus 3 plastic water bottles a day kind of a guy so I likely wasted my breath. Oh well.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #717 on: April 19, 2018, 03:19:33 PM »
That sucks. My new thing is to let people know that all the plastic they ever used still exists.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #718 on: April 19, 2018, 06:54:00 PM »
My new thing is to let people know that all the plastic they ever used still exists.

I needed to read this today - illness has lead to far more plastic usage (primarily food packaging) than usual for our household.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #719 on: April 19, 2018, 07:29:39 PM »
My new thing is to let people know that all the plastic they ever used still exists.

I needed to read this today - illness has lead to far more plastic usage (primarily food packaging) than usual for our household.

I think you get a pass right now. Single use stuff for sick, injured or disabled people, and for hospitals & clinics, is totally ok in my book! The rest of the developed world just needs to slow the fuck down and take a look.

eta: #slowthefuckdown - the slow movement with a bit more bite.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #720 on: April 20, 2018, 01:11:15 AM »
These comments are so enjoyable to read. I walk 5-6 days per week, taking various routes through my town. The last couple weeks I've starting picking up the misc garbage and recycling that tends to get blown out of cans on windy days.

Confirmed that my new office mate knows where the recycling cans are and emphasized that we are big in recycling (he throws his recycling in his trash can daily). The majority of us use reusable water bottles and coffee/tea mugs but he is a 10 cup of coffee, take a new paper cup each time, plus 3 plastic water bottles a day kind of a guy so I likely wasted my breath. Oh well.

Our customers who visited our office the last few days, grabbed a paper cup and wrote their initials on it. And kept using the same cup the whole day. They are well trained. :-)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #721 on: April 20, 2018, 04:53:45 AM »

I think you get a pass right now. Single use stuff for sick, injured or disabled people, and for hospitals & clinics, is totally ok in my book! The rest of the developed world just needs to slow the fuck down and take a look.

eta: #slowthefuckdown - the slow movement with a bit more bite.

Agreed. It is ENTIRELY appropriate for your situation.

I'm currently trying to plan ahead for late pregnancy and the first few weeks with a newborn to keep the packaging from getting out of control. But I, you know, have had notice and time to plan. That doesn't necessarily happen with illness.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #722 on: April 22, 2018, 05:44:01 AM »
I have realised all over again that my menstrual is so much more convenient than the disposable pads and tampons I used before. Making the switch to cloth pads and a menstrual cup was daunting, but I'm so glad I did.

On that topic, today:
Used my menstrual cup and cloth pads.
Baby is in cloth nappies.
Cooked from unpackaged ingredients.
Washed clothes in cold water and line dried them.
Turned off the retic now that we're finally getting some rain.
Shifted potted plants to catch the rain.
Used warming up water from the shower to water plants that never get rained on.

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #723 on: April 22, 2018, 05:59:32 AM »
I have realised all over again that my menstrual is so much more convenient than the disposable pads and tampons I used before. Making the switch to cloth pads and a menstrual cup was daunting, but I'm so glad I did.

On that topic, today:

Ohh never realized how using the cup was also an environmental win. Used mine for the whole past week and it's soooo much better than tampons. I still have friends who say they find it gross, but I find tampons much much more gross!

I also went to the market yesterday and got quite some unpacked veggies.

chaskavitch

• Bristles
« Reply #724 on: April 22, 2018, 06:42:59 AM »

On that topic, today:

Ohh never realized how using the cup was also an environmental win. Used mine for the whole past week and it's soooo much better than tampons. I still have friends who say they find it gross, but I find tampons much much more gross!

I post this literally every time anyone in any forum/FB post mentions their menstrual cup, lol. 

I feel like my cramps are at least 10x better with a cup than they were with a tampon.  The whole process is far more manageable for me, and the cup lasts so much longer between changes than tampons do!  I recommend them to EVERYONE.  I've had my cups for far longer than the manufacturer recommends (>10 years), but they are still clean and perfectly usable.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #725 on: April 22, 2018, 07:18:41 PM »

On that topic, today:

I post this literally every time anyone in any forum/FB post mentions their menstrual cup, lol. 

I feel like my cramps are at least 10x better with a cup than they were with a tampon.  The whole process is far more manageable for me, and the cup lasts so much longer between changes than tampons do!  I recommend them to EVERYONE.  I've had my cups for far longer than the manufacturer recommends (>10 years), but they are still clean and perfectly usable.

It's the long lasting bit that really does it for me - I LOVE not having to worry about emptying my cup for twelve hours at a time. I sleep so much better than I do wearing a pad. It's just awesome!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #726 on: April 22, 2018, 10:45:59 PM »
Car-free weekend!

I, too, used a menstrual cup!

Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Reading with children pays dividends. Recommended resources for Mustachian families: The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease |  The Read-Aloud Revival podcast by Sarah McKenzie | Books to Build On by E.D. Hirsch | The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #727 on: April 23, 2018, 02:12:51 AM »
I have probably written it here before. We have a project where we receive warm water from the neighbours who produce this with their mountain warmth pump. There are supposed to be solar panels set up as well, but after 2,5 years, these are still not in place. Maybe this summer, but I've heard this before...

We have been running the project the whole winter. When we started in October, the water entering our house was 32C. This went into our CV kettle that has a lowest temperature of 30C. So in October, the CV kettle didn't have to work to warm up the water for the floor heating. Unfortunately, the shower water is not going through the same system and needs to be warmed up seperately.
But as the days got colder, the water entering our house got colder. At the coldest, it was down at 25C, while 26C was very common. This water was warmed up by our kettle to 30C and then sent in the floor.
As long as we took care the thermostat didn't switch off, the water we returned was colder than the water coming in. We put the thermostat on 23C (much too warm for our house), and the house got 18C at max in practice.

Yesterday we finally had a meeting with the neighbours about this system. We told our experiences. Turns out the neighbour has been receiving 32-33C warm water into his house. While our water was down to 26C. And it is coming from the same large tank. Something weird was going in. So we did a test with changed water pressure and putting the pump higher. That worked, the water into our house changed to 32C.

It is a pity that we didn't have a meeting earlier. It didn't help that the neighbour who has this system in his house was living in south America for the last half year. So there was no one around who actually understood the system. But at least now, we find that now (when the weather is a lot warmer than in the winter) the system works well, with 2 of the 3 houses connected. But we still don't know who it will work when all 3 houses are connected and lived in and it is a proper winter.

Because we have been receiving so little warm water, which was so cold, the neighbours have decided that we didn't have to pay for this winter.

We saved 17% of our energy bill. We presume that the warmth pump at the neighbour's house uses less than our saved amount to warm up the water. When the solar panels ever are in place, this should be the main heating source in all months except for November to February.

I really want this to work, as it will make our house a lot more energy efficient. When we sell it (in a year or 2 when we start FIRE, hopefully), we can also sell it as a house with a (partly) green energy solution.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #728 on: April 23, 2018, 02:17:00 AM »

On that topic, today:

It's the long lasting bit that really does it for me - I LOVE not having to worry about emptying my cup for twelve hours at a time. I sleep so much better than I do wearing a pad. It's just awesome!

I have also converted to the combination of cloth pads and cup. The cup is great at night and doesn't leak like any type of pad does. But I don't want to use it at work, even though we have many handicap toilets with water in the cubicle. I have also noticed it fills up quickly when I'm hiking in the forest. So I don't want to rely on it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #729 on: April 23, 2018, 01:39:06 PM »
Yesterday I was in the garage, about to throw out my bike tire (bulging sidewall after three years of service) when I looked down at the old belt that I had tossed in the trash earlier that morning.  Pulled the belt buckle off, used some tin snips to cut my bike tire into a long strip roughly the same width and length as the ruined leather belt, drilled some holes at appropriate locations . . .

Today I'm wearing a cool looking, comfortable belt.

Fishindude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #730 on: April 25, 2018, 10:55:04 AM »
Planted six Persimmon trees on the back forty near the pond.  Should be an excellent wildlife food source sometime in the future.