Author Topic: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?  (Read 107076 times)

Urchina

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #600 on: March 06, 2018, 12:22:50 AM »
Ate vegan today, with the exception of the single butter cookie I had for dessert.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #601 on: March 06, 2018, 01:16:41 AM »
Walking home tonight, there was a single empty can in the middle of the footpath.

It was like an offering from the recycling gods.

@marty998, our good works have pleased them!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #602 on: March 06, 2018, 12:58:43 PM »
Yeah I found a few too! @mustachepungoeshere

I wonder if we are both bordering on obsession with this though :D

thegeebees

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #603 on: March 06, 2018, 02:30:13 PM »
I made zero waste popcorn for the first time. Kernels from the bulk section made in a glass bowl in the microwave. No butter or oil made it a 25 cent, 120 calorie, zero waste snack

We just started doing this with a 20 year-old popcorn popper that my in-laws had sitting in their garage! I've been making 1-2 batches per week with bulk popping corn and the kids take them for snacks at school.

I love this thread idea! Today I realized my wallet had finally bitten the dust but rather than buy a new one (heaven forbid) or even get one from a thrift store, I checked to see if any of my sisters had a spare they didn't want. Score! I got a free one, saving it from the garbage dump and saving me from having to pay.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #604 on: March 06, 2018, 09:49:15 PM »
* Grocery run by cargo bike today.
* Brought own grocery bags
* Brought own wine carrier so bottles don't get multiple bags from earnest, well-meaning grocery baggers trying to protect them from breakage
* Bought milk in reusable glass bottles

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #605 on: March 06, 2018, 10:38:17 PM »
My plastic pegs are breaking down and I need new ones. Any recommendations for wooden or metal pegs?

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #606 on: March 06, 2018, 11:17:53 PM »
My plastic pegs are breaking down and I need new ones. Any recommendations for wooden or metal pegs?

I have heard rave reviews about the metal ones eg on the flora and fauna site. Plastic ones just can't stand up to our UV and I've had wooden ones go mouldy or leave marks. The only thing about metal ones is imagine how hot they'll be in full sun!

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #607 on: March 06, 2018, 11:26:48 PM »
I did not turn on the heat in my room plus turned the heat down in the hallway (from 21 to 18).

Brought my seperated trash (batteries, paper, glass and "other") to the containers they're supposed to go in.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #608 on: March 07, 2018, 12:04:02 AM »
Iím trying to find the lesser or two evils. The country Iím living in has no recycling.  Many things that come in glass also come in plastic pouches.  Jam is one we buy pretty often. Soy sauce is another.  We initially bought the glass jar, but now we can buy a plastic packet and refill the jar.  For a while I was thinking the pouches were the more responsible option, but neither glass or plastic are going to disappear.  WWYD?

Itís really eye opening when I canít even appease my guilt by recycling. 

óó
The upside is that weíve found quite a few very local products. The pouches of jam are made just a few hours away by train.  I havenít found a loose leaf mint tea, but the bagged one is grown and packaged in country as well.  Itís tricky compromising. 

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #609 on: March 07, 2018, 03:17:04 AM »

I have heard rave reviews about the metal ones eg on the flora and fauna site. Plastic ones just can't stand up to our UV and I've had wooden ones go mouldy or leave marks. The only thing about metal ones is imagine how hot they'll be in full sun!
yeah, that's mainly why I haven't tried them yet. I will buy some and use them indoors to start with.

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #610 on: March 07, 2018, 10:31:11 AM »
I'm looking for ideas, inspiration and positive reinforcement as I work to reduce my impact on the environment and use of finite..

1. Water bottles
AVOID plastic at any cost. We use Zero pitcher filter for drinking needs. They offer $5 for each filter you send then back for recycling.

2. Cook your food
I have spent two times in last 8 months on  outside lunches since we didn't cooked that day. Other than business compulsory or meetings i lunch at desk. Buying lunch not only cost wattage of money, time and the extra napkin, plastic, etc., we cook for guests when they are less in numbers.

3. Carry bags
Try to use reusable bags. If you can't, at east use same bags. It costs a most nothing to produce them but it cost many generations. I use a nice reusable bag for shopping and the carry bags are used as trash bags.

4. Bikes
Although I am new bee doing biking, you should avoid short trips in car

5. Drive sensibly
I know not everyone goes hybrid or electric or used old ones, but to the least drive sensibly so you consume less oil footage. Try share riding.

6. Wastage
The only time I ever got a slap on my face from my father is when I left drops of food. It wasn't even handful, but we grew on it. When you see the starving people, you know the meaning of drops of food. So eat what you need. This goes to possessions as well. If you have more give it to people.
I buy stuff from goodwill and donate back to them if it was read or no more useful to me.

7. Donate
There is a saying in my country. Things you want it to grow, then you got to donate them. Name it, it could be knowledge, wisdom, money, habits. At the least donate some of your time for charity work.

8. Plan
Most times wastage of time, money, resources happen due to poor planning. So plan ahead. When I bought a used Prius, I had enough cash to buy a BMW, on buying a bed, we gone for bed with high raise with no need for box, so we got storage space and ease of movement and less wastage. These are just examples. You can plan your purchases.

9. Reuse
For most people, buying new stuff if inevitable for pure pleasure of their mind. Once they get in a situation they will let it go. Desire is the creator and destructor yet desire the right is key. So reuse stuff more you can.
We didn't used the paper plates so long unless the crowd is more than 12 (12 corolle plates).

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:34:16 AM by Trying2bFrugal »

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
« Reply #611 on: March 07, 2018, 01:47:02 PM »
I live in a small space with my two near teens.  I thought it was small but then I measured it.  It's 2 bedrooms, plus a den with 1 bathroom.  And 850 square feet.  This reduces all utility costs substantially, as well as the footprint created building it. 

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #612 on: March 07, 2018, 02:26:03 PM »
Iím trying to find the lesser or two evils. The country Iím living in has no recycling.  Many things that come in glass also come in plastic pouches.  Jam is one we buy pretty often. Soy sauce is another.  We initially bought the glass jar, but now we can buy a plastic packet and refill the jar.  For a while I was thinking the pouches were the more responsible option, but neither glass or plastic are going to disappear.  WWYD?

óó
The upside is that weíve found quite a few very local products. The pouches of jam are made just a few hours away by train.  I havenít found a loose leaf mint tea, but the bagged one is grown and packaged in country as well.  Itís tricky compromising.

My mom prepare jam from fruits without any preservatives. Agreed they dont last THAT long and taste fancy.
But you could help your family on health (most bottled ones need preservatives). May be something you can think about it?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #613 on: March 08, 2018, 03:42:50 AM »

óó

My mom prepare jam from fruits without any preservatives. Agreed they dont last THAT long and taste fancy.
But you could help your family on health (most bottled ones need preservatives). May be something you can think about it?
Or even use pureed fruit instead of jam, depending on what you're using it for? It keeps in the fridge in a glass jar for a few days, or in the freezer for a while (a few months?)

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #614 on: March 08, 2018, 03:52:21 AM »
I'm thinking the issue is not a particular food but the whole gamut of essential purchases. I think I'd focus on reducing air miles and also consider which natural resource it is less worse to deplete - oil or sand (is that what glass is made from??).

Also - if plastic gets washed away from rubbish piles it is a worse outcome for all life than if glass ends up in the ecosystem. Glass will break down quicker and make nice sea glass pebbles, whereas with plastic we'll end up eating it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 03:54:57 AM by Fresh Bread »

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #615 on: March 09, 2018, 12:07:34 AM »
* Walked four miles round trip to pick up the kids from school and bring them home

* Picked up an aluminum can that someone had littered, will recycle

* Added a second compost bin to the family; someone in our Buy Nothing group was giving away one that is the same design as the one we currently have

* Used wastewater from cooking, washing and laundry on plants

* Cloth diapered the baby

* Started potty training the baby using a baby potty I acquired from our Buy Nothing group

* Used bamboo-handled toothbrush instead of plastic-handled toothbrush. A billion non-biodegradable plastic-handled toothbrushes go into the trash each year.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 12:11:00 AM by jengod »

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #616 on: March 09, 2018, 01:57:35 AM »
Iím currently pregnant and looking at cloth diapering baby when weíre home (I donít think our potential daycare accepts cloth)

Trying to furnish the nursery with as many hand me downs as possible. So far I have a crib and changing table

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #617 on: March 09, 2018, 02:13:01 AM »
I bought tonic water in glass so I could have a plastic free G&T. Cheers!

Britan

• Stubble
« Reply #618 on: March 09, 2018, 07:41:49 AM »
Working from home today! Save some car emissions. (Ugh my clown car commute).

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #619 on: March 09, 2018, 10:56:41 AM »
I'm thinking the issue is not a particular food but the whole gamut of essential purchases. I think I'd focus on reducing air miles and also consider which natural resource it is less worse to deplete - oil or sand (is that what glass is made from??).

Also - if plastic gets washed away from rubbish piles it is a worse outcome for all life than if glass ends up in the ecosystem. Glass will break down quicker and make nice sea glass pebbles, whereas with plastic we'll end up eating it.

Thanks to others as well upthread for input on my jar/packet dilemma.  We eat fresh first. Jam is just a representative of odd things that come in bottles and packages.  We probably get one item every 4-6 weeks.

Fresh Bread brings up some good things to think about, focusing on the big picture and break down.

I do want to avoid waste in our daily life, but it isnít the most effective way to get to the root of the problem.

As for small things:

Boiled water for drinking instead of buying jugs.

Filled the thermos for hot tea on demand all day.

Mended my clothing.

Also, Iím working on an converting my partner to second hand shopping.  Weíre not actively shopping for anything at the moment, but weíve had several conversations recently about future needs, from clothing to household goods.  When I started talking about the environmental and humanitarian reasons for buying second hand he ďgot itĒ in a way he hasnít before. He thought I just didnít want to spend money, or couldnít afford more, and he loves me, and thinks I deserve all kinds of wonderful lovely things and wants to give them to me. Now he understand my motivation.  Yes, I like saving money, but that isnít all.  Yes, we are on a really tight budget right now. Many ethically sourced things are way out of our price range, but second hand shopping or extending the life of what we already own can circumnavigate the system. 

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:02:06 AM by PMG »

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #620 on: March 09, 2018, 02:23:06 PM »
We also buy second hand but here's a problem: hubby will research to find the best model of something and then try to find it second hand. Of course, everyone who has one knows it is the best and there aren't any for sale second hand. Think of a Dyson vacuum or multifunctional backpack for example. I think the key is to be flexible.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #621 on: March 09, 2018, 02:26:51 PM »
We also buy second hand but here's a problem: hubby will research to find the best model of something and then try to find it second hand. Of course, everyone who has one knows it is the best and there aren't any for sale second hand. Think of a Dyson vacuum or multifunctional backpack for example. I think the key is to be flexible.

I have encountered this issue over and over!

The best things to buy secondhand are the things people buy as aspirational purchases (e.g. sports gear) and/or things that are only needed for a few years anyway (e.g. strollers).

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #622 on: March 09, 2018, 02:43:41 PM »

I have encountered this issue over and over!

The best things to buy secondhand are the things people buy as aspirational purchases (e.g. sports gear) and/or things that are only needed for a few years anyway (e.g. strollers).

Kitchen aspirational items too like bread makers, ice cream makers, juicers etc.

I have seen people here selling things at the end of their lease and then buying new for their new place. I think they are avoiding the hassle of movers but... a sofa is not a one year purchase??

What bugs me with hubby is that every evening he is scrolling sites either researching or looking for 2nd hand stuff. He found something the other day but did not move quickly enough  and it was sold! In the end I get exasperated and just say "please buy it new!!".

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #623 on: March 09, 2018, 06:20:09 PM »
524 bottles returned this year.

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #624 on: March 09, 2018, 07:09:58 PM »
Again, ate vegan for most of the day (will have 2 oz of hamburger tonight with dinner).
Asked DH to pick up stuff at the grocery store on the way home, so no special trip for errands.
Didn't buy anything today (other than the groceries DH got, and yes, we've got our reusable bags). I often forget how useful it is to the environment to not buy stuff.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #625 on: March 09, 2018, 08:57:47 PM »
I carry a small metal fork and spoon and reasonable small knife in a reusable lunch baggie in my purse. Just because they’re handing out free plastic utensils doesn’t mean I have to ise them. I don’t want something I used to eat a sliver of birthday cake to sit in a landfill for eternity.

big_owl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #626 on: March 09, 2018, 09:19:11 PM »
Studies generally agree that the best thing you can do for the planet is not have kids.  So I got snipped a while back.  Turns out it makes sex a lot better too!

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #627 on: March 10, 2018, 02:08:23 AM »
Ate vegetarian (mostly vegan except some butter and cappuccino) for the whole week.

Picked up some trash last night when going to the pool.

Bought discounted almost-expired peas in the supermarket.

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #628 on: March 10, 2018, 06:31:42 AM »
Today we're taking a bus+subway to travel to a friend's wedding, rather than driving.  I also will be walking to the post office this morning.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #629 on: March 14, 2018, 01:18:29 AM »
REPAIR: I stitched up a split seam on one of our couch cushions. I was worried I would have to get out the sewing machine, but a needle and thread did the trick.

REUSE: Cloth diapers and wipes for the baby

APPROPRIATE TECHNOLOGY: Line-drying laundry inside since we're being blessed with some winter rains right now

MANAGE ON-SITE RESOURCES: Bought a downspout extender so I can divert some rainwater to different places in the yard

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #630 on: March 14, 2018, 04:33:54 AM »
We've been saving a small amount of energy and reducing food waste by placing more emphasis on freezer cooking in our meal planning. It saves me a decent amount of time, too.

I'm sewing my way through my fabric stash and a backlog of projects, instead of buying as much new fabric. I'm also working on squeezing little projects out of the scraps/leftovers from larger projects. I sew with a lot of knits so this means a lot of baby garments and some adult undergarments.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #631 on: March 14, 2018, 04:41:51 AM »
I'm sewing my way through my fabric stash and a backlog of projects, instead of buying as much new fabric.

*Guilt about last year's stash of wool intensifies*

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #632 on: March 14, 2018, 07:37:59 PM »
Took public transit to a class.

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #633 on: March 15, 2018, 09:45:01 AM »
I brought lunch (again) today.  Other than compulsory business related lunches, I have not purchased takeout lunch or coffee even once this year.  Hurray! 

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #634 on: March 15, 2018, 01:48:54 PM »
I brought lunch (again) today.  Other than compulsory business related lunches, I have not purchased takeout lunch or coffee even once this year.  Hurray!

This is extremely amazing. Congrats.

I planted three native trees and two grapevines in an odd little triangle that is owned by the state transit department but obviously ignored for years on end. I also picked up a bag of non-biodegradable trash and collected two plastic bottles for recycling.

If they survive, in addition to sequestering carbon and catching freeway dust with their leaf canopies, the additional greenery from the trees and the tidier appearance of oddball areas should advantage rising (rather than declining) property values in the neighborhood.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #635 on: March 15, 2018, 03:59:34 PM »
Wow, go JenGod, that's awssome!

Now I have an answer if someone complains about our messy garden - we are trying to address the Australian housing affordability crisis! It's very 'rustic'.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #636 on: March 15, 2018, 05:00:26 PM »
Nice job Jengod!  Me too -- haven't purchased food or coffee once at work this year so far.  I'm in a good groove bringing it from home.  We should have started a challenge thread in "Throw Down the Gauntlet."  :)

Another thing I do is whatever compostable waste I make at work -- banana peels, tea bags, used paper towels, whatever -- I bring it home at the end of the day and throw it in my compost bin.  We have recycling bins at work, but no compost. It drives me crazy to throw good compostables in a garbage bin. 

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #637 on: March 16, 2018, 08:28:41 AM »
Walked to work this morning and will walk back in a moment (after I finish typing here).

JLR

• Bristles
« Reply #638 on: March 16, 2018, 10:05:34 PM »

Not exactly what you are asking for, but I really love the Reva brand of (plastic) pegs you can buy from Woolies. Just the regular ones, not the heavy duty version of the brand. They are twice the price of the Woolworths Essentials pegs, but they've held up really well to 10 years of living in an extremely hot climate, followed by 4 years in a cold climate. I bet they would do even better if I didn't leave them outside all the time....

JLR

• Bristles
« Reply #639 on: March 16, 2018, 10:12:54 PM »
Another thing I do is whatever compostable waste I make at work -- banana peels, tea bags, used paper towels, whatever -- I bring it home at the end of the day and throw it in my compost bin.  We have recycling bins at work, but no compost. It drives me crazy to throw good compostables in a garbage bin.

Would you be willing to make a communal compost bin at work that you bring home each day?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #640 on: March 16, 2018, 10:20:54 PM »

Not exactly what you are asking for, but I really love the Reva brand of (plastic) pegs you can buy from Woolies. Just the regular ones, not the heavy duty version of the brand. They are twice the price of the Woolworths Essentials pegs, but they've held up really well to 10 years of living in an extremely hot climate, followed by 4 years in a cold climate. I bet they would do even better if I didn't leave them outside all the time....

Seconding the recommendation for Reva pegs.

Mine are going on nine years.

@marty998 thought I was insane for having a preferred brand of pegs.

Then I bought him a packet and ... he still doesn't really have an opinion either way. :D

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #641 on: March 17, 2018, 05:27:57 AM »

Seconding the recommendation for Reva pegs.

Mine are going on nine years.

@marty998 thought I was insane for having a preferred brand of pegs.

Then I bought him a packet and ... he still doesn't really have an opinion either way. :D

Fuck I was embarrassed when you handed me pegs haha.

Reva are good 😊

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #642 on: March 18, 2018, 05:33:26 AM »

Would you be willing to make a communal compost bin at work that you bring home each day?

I sure would!  Great idea -- thanks!  Let me see . . . I'll start by watching the kitchen garbage can at work for a few days and seeing what my coworkers are actually throwing in there -- how much is compostable, what kind of things they are.   

LorettaLynn

• Stubble
« Reply #643 on: March 18, 2018, 11:45:04 AM »
I stayed home all day yesterday.  Recycled a bucket of water I had drawn when we were having a bad windstorm a couple weeks ago, when I thought my power and water might be effected by falling trees.  Today I used it to mop up some messes. 

deborah

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #644 on: March 18, 2018, 06:23:58 PM »

My wooden pegs have lasted at least that long, and  they stay on the line all the time. They are just normal wooden pegs.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #645 on: March 18, 2018, 09:15:50 PM »
* Picked up a bag of trash this morning in this weird high-traffic no-maintenance area near my house. Got some exercise, plus found $0.35 of recycling and a penny. The kids call this activity "plogging": "picking up litter while jogging"

* Rode my cargo bike to a bazaar organized by our local Buy Nothing group -- gave away some gizmos and children's books, came home with some collard greens, cake mix, more children's books, a gallon jug and a huge bottle of bubbles to entertain the kids.

* Made sourdough bread -- no packaging involved other than the recyclable paper bag of flour

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #646 on: March 19, 2018, 06:35:50 AM »
I hung three loads of laundry out on the clothesline.

Fishindude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #647 on: March 19, 2018, 07:21:43 AM »
Built and installed (3) cedar wood duck nesting boxes yesterday.

gatortator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #648 on: March 19, 2018, 03:31:54 PM »
love this thread and delurking now...

I gave up driving for lent.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #649 on: March 20, 2018, 06:22:33 AM »
* Picked up a bag of trash this morning in this weird high-traffic no-maintenance area near my house. Got some exercise, plus found $0.35 of recycling and a penny. The kids call this activity "plogging": "picking up litter while jogging"

Ha ha Jengod -- in my family we call this "Rat" running -- From Running Against Trash. So sometimes I will grab a garbage bag and announce "I'm going for a rat run."