Author Topic: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?  (Read 333897 times)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
Re: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #1700 on: February 12, 2020, 04:44:19 PM »
@chaskavitch, I will have to look for that floss and see if I can stand it. I'm kinda picky.

Last time I was at my Sprouts, I bought one bamboo toothbrush and one made from recycled yogurt cups. Thoughts a bout which one is better environment-wise are welcome.

In other news, I finally got my thermostat programmed so that the heat turns itself down when we're all out of the house during the day. That happened because my nine-year-old was messing with the thermostat and somehow accidentally got it to the setting screen--which turned out to be super intuitive. I hadn't gotten around to looking for the manual.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1701 on: February 14, 2020, 07:26:13 AM »
I went to a meeting last night with our elected officials.  Made my feelings known.

okcisok

• Stubble
« Reply #1702 on: February 14, 2020, 10:50:47 PM »
So far this year, I've read Beth Terry's book on reducing waste and another book called F*ck Plastic. Discovered you can compost tissues and cotton swabs. Which shouldn't have taken a book to tell me, but I know now!
I've been buying more items from the bulk store. Also learned to use my phone's note app to write down the numbers for bulk bin items instead of using the paper ties.
I am working on mending a sweater instead of buying a new one. Next I'm on the hunt for the perfect (secondhand) flannel shirt.
Have started doing puzzles as a hobby. They can be passed on an reused a number of times.
Going to try newspaper for picking up dog poop instead of plastic bags.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1703 on: February 15, 2020, 10:13:26 AM »
Biked to work even though coooold and still some icy patches.

Okay, we got takeout last night. We are humans! BUT it was Chipotle. The wrappers from our burritos we will have to toss, but I saved the paper kids' meal trays and the paper bag it all came in for our municipal compost.

okcisok

• Stubble
« Reply #1704 on: February 15, 2020, 11:52:21 AM »
Mended pajamas and a sweater. Hung two loads of laundry to dry instead of electric drying.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1705 on: February 15, 2020, 02:17:20 PM »
Went to the native plant nursery and bought a dozen seedlings and starts for landscape plants that will feed the local bugs and birds.

MoolahLula

• Bristles
« Reply #1706 on: February 16, 2020, 05:34:09 AM »
I started some catnip seeds indoors for my furry husbands.  Plants are cool. I also started 2 pots with cherry tomato seeds indoors. 

Iím sending a box of clothing to ThredUP to recycle/reuse.  I also am donating a trunk full of books and housewares to my local charity thrift store this week. 

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1707 on: February 16, 2020, 07:23:43 PM »
Just signed up for a CSA half-share. From May through October, we will get locally grown, chemical fertilizer/artificial pesticide-free produce directly from the farmer every week. Healthier for us, for the farmers, and the earth.

(Yes, we could grow our own but have had limited success in the past.)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1708 on: February 16, 2020, 08:55:27 PM »
Took transit instead of taxis on a day when I was sorely tempted (L train weekend maintenance schedule, plus I injured my foot someone injured my foot for me on the way there). Four trains and a bus and a mile of walking instead of burning extra fossil fuels.

Stopped at the grocery store on the way home and decided to make a vegetarian batch cook this week. (Would be vegan except I'd rather use up chicken stock from the freezer than buy vegetable stock... I don't currently have any veggie scraps to make it homemade.)

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1709 on: February 17, 2020, 04:10:40 AM »
Hosted a potluck dinner with neighbours and used dishes  and cloth napkins instead of disposables.

Beardog

• Stubble
« Reply #1710 on: February 17, 2020, 12:46:27 PM »
To conserve water while bathing:

Apply soap to underarms before getting in shower.

Use hand held shower head to fill bucket with cold water while I'm waiting for warm water to arrive.  Cold water collected in bucket is used to flush toilet.  (Applying the "if it's yellow, let it mellow" philosophy, I only flush solid waste immediately.  Generally I collect liquid waste and flush once a day.)  Wash only 'critical areas' most days with full shower about every 5 days or so.  Every other day just wet down my short hair to make it presentable rather than using with soap.  Use glycerin soap on body and head - no shampoo.

Use control on shower head to turn water off while washing my hair.  For a part time office rat, this level of hygiene is perfectly adequate.  And I don't have as much dry skin b/c I'm not constantly soaping my entire body.  And I save water.

FIRE_at_45

• Magnum Stache
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
« Reply #1711 on: February 18, 2020, 02:54:09 PM »
I took a pair of jeans that I've been wearing for about 3 years (hole wore through at the knee) and converted them to shorts sewn with a 40 YO sewing machine.  Admittedly I had help with the sewing part but I could do this on my own if necessary.  Another tool added to the belt and a serviceable pair of denim shorts for riding my bike.

Miss Stachio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1712 on: February 26, 2020, 10:45:10 AM »
Walked to work, saved food scraps for the community compost, eating plant-based meals, wrote a letter to city representatives to support bicycling infrastructure.

FIRE_at_45

• Magnum Stache
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
« Reply #1713 on: February 26, 2020, 01:09:46 PM »
I'm teaching my kids about being efficient with car trips.  On the weekend we thought through our route to and from a soccer game in a neighbouring town.  We were able to accomplish 3 errands in the combined trip rather than simply going to the game and driving home.

tawyer

• Stubble
  • JFDI
« Reply #1714 on: February 26, 2020, 10:28:13 PM »
Took tupperware to work to save leftovers from catered lunch instead of using disposable to-go box.