Author Topic: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?  (Read 190575 times)

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
Re: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #1350 on: May 02, 2019, 07:54:39 PM »
Environmentally-minded Mother's Day gift - I got my mom a box of pretty paper straws (eco-friendly/biodegradable) to carry in her purse to use in restaurants instead of plastic straws after she mentioned seeing them in a store. My parents are big-time restaurant-goers so that should definitely keep some plastic out of the landfill. And maybe her friends will see them and think it's a good idea.

Maybe after she uses up the box we'll graduate to a reusable straw. I wish restaurants would do something like grocery stores do when you bring your own bag - all of the ones I go to give you a five cent credit for your own bag. You could get a five cent credit on bringing your own straw and all the cheapskates would get reusable ones. ;-)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1351 on: May 03, 2019, 02:54:00 AM »
Brought home soft plastics from work to recycle through Woolies.

londonbanker

• Stubble
« Reply #1352 on: May 03, 2019, 02:59:22 AM »
In Paris for business today... decided to take the train back to London and instead of flying, and I didn’t take a taxi from my hotel to the train station, but decided to hop on a Lime electric scooter instead... side benefit- I probably saved £20 in taxi fare

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1353 on: May 03, 2019, 05:03:19 AM »
I walked the 2.2km to the train yesterday morning.  My son and my hubs biked to school and work. 

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1354 on: May 03, 2019, 07:44:20 AM »
I downloaded an app against food waste, where you can buy leftover fresh products from several supermarkets, hotels and bakeries in the area. So far both yesterday and today everything seemed sold out in no-time though.

What is the name of the app?  It sounds promising.

Too good to go.

Started in Denmark and it's now available in more countries, not sure if it's available in the US yet though!

I picked up leftover groceries from the organic store and sushi from a new restaurant yesterday. A massive (45cm) organic bread, two types of yoghurt, vegan fish fingers and 8 1/2 rolls of sushi for the grand total of €8.

The only downside to the app is they sell out so quickly... It's really popular in my city.

That sounds awesome! I have checked the app several times but it's always sold out :(. I've seen one of the bakeries that still had sth available once, but I thought I'd be getting too much for myself to finish as I don't have much freezer space and don't wanna eat bread 24/7 for 2 days straight :p. So for now I deleted the app again, guess I will retry in a few months.

Found another good deal on the app. On my way home I pass by a place that sells sandwiches, pastries, fresh juices etc. I'm picking up a surprise box there today after work for €3. We will eat it for brunch tomorrow. We're totally out of groceries and energy so this will be fairly cheap for a fancy brunch + also easier + we avoid food waste. We aren't picky eaters so I'm sure we'll like whatever we receive.

I will make nice coffee and set the table nicely and maybe add some fruit or a boiled egg if the amount isn't enough. I've never picked up from this place before but usually the portions are pretty generous.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #1355 on: May 03, 2019, 07:49:08 AM »
Teleworking this morning instead of driving to the office. 

Continued my crusade to hand-weed the front yard last night, and almost finished, except for a patch of recalcitrant grass.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1356 on: May 03, 2019, 07:52:03 AM »
-Now that my food aversions have been improving, my produce waste has dropped substantially.
-We've always prioritized local foods, but given the insane prices at our nearest grocery store, we were doing fewer organic options for a while. Well, since switching a lot of our shopping to a different store (which we also walk to!), we've been able to do more local and organic produce again.
-Finally found and set up with our new ranch up here, so we've got a freezer full again of local, organic, grass fed beef. This is good, as I wasn't about to drive nearly 3 hours to our former farm!
-Between scraps going to the dog's food, and the municipal compost service, we've had virtually no food products go in the trash. We just need to get better at remembering that meat scrap and bone CAN go into the compost, and that paper towels can go in too!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1357 on: May 03, 2019, 02:29:07 PM »
-Now that my food aversions have been improving, my produce waste has dropped substantially.
-We've always prioritized local foods, but given the insane prices at our nearest grocery store, we were doing fewer organic options for a while. Well, since switching a lot of our shopping to a different store (which we also walk to!), we've been able to do more local and organic produce again.
-Finally found and set up with our new ranch up here, so we've got a freezer full again of local, organic, grass fed beef. This is good, as I wasn't about to drive nearly 3 hours to our former farm!
-Between scraps going to the dog's food, and the municipal compost service, we've had virtually no food products go in the trash. We just need to get better at remembering that meat scrap and bone CAN go into the compost, and that paper towels can go in too!

I am working at retraining my family! I have been fishing banana peels and paper towels out of the trash.

It was yesterday, not today, but I cut my grass with our push mower.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1358 on: May 05, 2019, 01:46:49 PM »
Biked to work today!

Yesterday the kids and I biked to Big Brother's soccer game, about 2 miles away. My husband doesn't have a bike (!), but he walked there and back.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1359 on: May 07, 2019, 01:55:30 AM »
I signed up for a birdwatching app with a government run (or sponsored?) nature group so that I can help count birds!

I've also been taking the bus instead of car for the last leg of my commute, mowing with the reel mower and weed pulling by hand- which I only thought of because of the great work by everyone else!

TrMama

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1360 on: May 07, 2019, 09:47:22 AM »
Found a free composter on the side of the road yesterday. Score! This means we'll now have two so I can fill one up while the other one cooks.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1361 on: May 12, 2019, 04:06:54 AM »
Just stayed at home and DID NOTHING. Went nowhere, bought nothing, just used what we had on hand.

And it was good.

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1362 on: May 12, 2019, 05:52:06 PM »
Tried to buy as much fresh food in the grocery store without plastic packaging. It wasn't perfect though because I got tempeh and tofu. They do sell tofu in the bulk section so I could bring my own container next time, but I dont see myself making tempeh at home anytime soon. Then again, I never looked up how to do it, so it could possibly be quite easy. Skipped getting any seaweed too even though I love it because I always feel really bad about the packaging waste.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Resting up for 2020
« Reply #1363 on: May 12, 2019, 06:19:18 PM »

I'm glad I dropped in here when I did. I didn't know paper towels could be composted!

In that vein, I have greatly reduced my use of paper towels and napkins. I got a bunch of hand towels from buy nothing, so I use those for napkins and cleaning.

Today I took public transit to wander around some trees. Brought trail mix from the bulk bin and a reusable water bottle. Composted vegetable ends after making soup.

To do:
* Always carry a couple reusable bags for last minute produce buys - everything goes in my backpack, so I've been throwing all the produce in one plastic bag to keep my backpack from getting gross.
* Figure out how to get the weight subtracted from reusable containers so I can fill them up directly from the bulk bins. At Fred Meyer I might be able to have them weighed at customer service, but looks like it differs by store.  https://amp.reddit.com/r/ZeroWaste/comments/aifx2x/bulk_containers_and_kroger_qfc_fred_meyer/

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1364 on: May 13, 2019, 08:34:59 AM »

I'm glad I dropped in here when I did. I didn't know paper towels could be composted!

In that vein, I have greatly reduced my use of paper towels and napkins. I got a bunch of hand towels from buy nothing, so I use those for napkins and cleaning.

Today I took public transit to wander around some trees. Brought trail mix from the bulk bin and a reusable water bottle. Composted vegetable ends after making soup.

To do:
* Always carry a couple reusable bags for last minute produce buys - everything goes in my backpack, so I've been throwing all the produce in one plastic bag to keep my backpack from getting gross.
* Figure out how to get the weight subtracted from reusable containers so I can fill them up directly from the bulk bins. At Fred Meyer I might be able to have them weighed at customer service, but looks like it differs by store.  https://amp.reddit.com/r/ZeroWaste/comments/aifx2x/bulk_containers_and_kroger_qfc_fred_meyer/

I'm not sure about back yard bins! I just know what the municipal guidelines are (very broad). Not sure if your house has the green bin, but if so, here's what you can compost: http://wmnorthwest.com/portland/guidelines/yarddebris.htm
I've done the resusable containers before. Always found people to be amenable to labels with the weights on the side. I'd just use tape and write in marker "tare: x.xx lb" for example. BUT, be sure to watch. A lot of places are "too busy" to do the tare weight unless you ask. Drives me bonkers. The weight is clearly on all our reusable produce bags, but people still skip it like 75% of the time, even at the fancy stores. Arghhh.

bacchi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1365 on: May 13, 2019, 09:43:08 AM »
Environmentally-minded Mother's Day gift - I got my mom a box of pretty paper straws (eco-friendly/biodegradable) to carry in her purse to use in restaurants instead of plastic straws after she mentioned seeing them in a store. My parents are big-time restaurant-goers so that should definitely keep some plastic out of the landfill. And maybe her friends will see them and think it's a good idea.

Maybe after she uses up the box we'll graduate to a reusable straw. I wish restaurants would do something like grocery stores do when you bring your own bag - all of the ones I go to give you a five cent credit for your own bag. You could get a five cent credit on bringing your own straw and all the cheapskates would get reusable ones. ;-)

We've started telling servers that we don't need straws. It's hard to remember.

We also bring a container for leftovers. No more single-use leftover containers from the restaurant.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Resting up for 2020
« Reply #1366 on: May 13, 2019, 10:43:22 AM »

To do:

I'm not sure about back yard bins! I just know what the municipal guidelines are (very broad). Not sure if your house has the green bin, but if so, here's what you can compost: http://wmnorthwest.com/portland/guidelines/yarddebris.htm
I've done the resusable containers before. Always found people to be amenable to labels with the weights on the side. I'd just use tape and write in marker "tare: x.xx lb" for example. BUT, be sure to watch. A lot of places are "too busy" to do the tare weight unless you ask. Drives me bonkers. The weight is clearly on all our reusable produce bags, but people still skip it like 75% of the time, even at the fancy stores. Arghhh.

Thanks for the link! We have a green bin, so I'm good.

I stopped by my main grocery store yesterday and asked about tares. Officially, no. Unofficially, many cashiers will do it if I label the containers. I'll try with one, to test it. In the meantime I can reuse the baggies I already have.

Oh! Hung my laundry to dry instead of using the dryer. I am running out of hangers, might hit up buy nothing.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:45:00 AM by MonkeyJenga »

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #1367 on: May 13, 2019, 04:38:58 PM »
I had a good talk with my 4-year-old this morning on climate change and reducing our environmental impact, or, as she calls it, "helping the world." I was surprised by how much she seemed to understand. No immediate benefits I guess, but I'm hoping that starting these lessons young will lead to long-term benefits.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
« Reply #1368 on: May 14, 2019, 07:38:29 AM »
Built a garden bed to try to grow some vegetables.

TrMama

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1369 on: May 14, 2019, 12:10:14 PM »
I compost paper towels, napkins and other low grade papers in my backyard composter as long as they don't have oil, meat, cleaners or cooked food on them. Oil, meat and cooked things will attract rats. Cleaners are obviously not good for the soil.

Today I was able to redirect a huge pile of gently used binders from my office to my kids school. Our accounting lady had been told to just put them in the trash. She's thrilled that they won't be going in the trash and the school staff are thrilled to have a pile of free binders they otherwise would've had to buy. Win win.

I'll move them tomorrow when I was going to have to drive to pick up the kids from school anyway. Bike commuted today.

I don't bother asking for the tare weight to be removed from my produce bags. On their own they're pretty light and anything I buy by the pound we seem to eat in large quantities so it doesn't seem worth it. Most produce I buy is sold by the unit anyway, so the weight is irrelevant.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1370 on: May 14, 2019, 06:54:42 PM »
I took my steel straw, cutlery, cloth napkin and thermos bottle.  I didn't feel at all strange pulling them out at the work luncheon.

I also took public transit.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Resting up for 2020
« Reply #1371 on: May 14, 2019, 07:20:36 PM »
* Took public transit to do boring adult things.
* Wore clothes that I got from Buy Nothing.
* Brought my water bottle.
* Got a library card, so I can check out ebooks on my secondhand nook.
* Bought mostly vegetables with minimal packaging at the grocery store, and reused produce bags. I usually buy bagged salad and little tomatoes in those plastic boxes, so this is a big step.
* Brought my bulk bin bags to reuse.
* Avoided/forgot to buy quorn. It's better than meat, but it's got a ton of packaging..

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #1372 on: May 14, 2019, 08:38:57 PM »
* Bought mostly vegetables with minimal packaging at the grocery store, and reused produce bags. I usually buy bagged salad and little tomatoes in those plastic boxes, so this is a big step.
* Avoided/forgot to buy quorn. It's better than meat, but it's got a ton of packaging..

If you’re okay with cutting down on meat, try adding TVP (texturized vegetable protein) to ground beef:

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/ground-beef-tvp-lots-o-meat-442209

The recipe above calls for very lean ground beef, but I have done this with regular ground beef. The mix ends up being lean anyway since the TVP has very little fat.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:41:58 PM by pbkmaine »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Resting up for 2020
« Reply #1373 on: May 14, 2019, 08:44:39 PM »

If you’re okay with cutting down on meat, try adding TVP (texturized vegetable protein) to ground beef:

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/ground-beef-tvp-lots-o-meat-442209

The recipe above calls for very lean ground beef, but I have done this with regular ground beef. The mix ends up being lean anyway since the TVP has very little fat.
Ah, yes, I have heard tell of TVP. I don't even buy ground beef, but I might check this out. TVP and nutritional yeast it up (once I use up my real cheese).

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1374 on: May 14, 2019, 09:03:57 PM »

It is a big pet peeve of mine that it's almost impossible to buy cherry/grape tomatoes in anything but a plastic box. I basically never eat them for that reason...

I just got home from the grocery store where I failed to purchase tomatoes (in plastic boxes), cucumbers (wrapped in plastic), and lettuce (wrapped in plastic) even though they were on my list. I'm going to make an orzo salad with some veggies that didn't come in plastic instead of the salad I was planning. (The orzo did, unfortunately, come in plastic. But I never see pasta without packaging.)

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #1375 on: May 15, 2019, 09:31:54 AM »

It is a big pet peeve of mine that it's almost impossible to buy cherry/grape tomatoes in anything but a plastic box. I basically never eat them for that reason...

I just got home from the grocery store where I failed to purchase tomatoes (in plastic boxes), cucumbers (wrapped in plastic), and lettuce (wrapped in plastic) even though they were on my list. I'm going to make an orzo salad with some veggies that didn't come in plastic instead of the salad I was planning. (The orzo did, unfortunately, come in plastic. But I never see pasta without packaging.)
I see that you're in NYC, but if you have any outdoor space at all, cherry tomatoes are easy to grow and very prolific.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1376 on: May 15, 2019, 11:26:31 AM »
unintentional success.

We started asking around about some abandoned community garden beds, and not only got permission to use some, but inspired another person to plant some veggies.

We've also been asking around about bikes, we'd like to purchase two second hand. Two different people have said "Oh, yeah I have a bike in my basement, I'll dig it out and you can look at it."  Both of those people declined to sell after they got their bikes out and have since been posting photos on social media of them out riding! 

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1377 on: May 15, 2019, 04:49:41 PM »
About veggies and pasta - here in Aus we have a pasta brand called Barilla that comes in a card box with a small plastic window. Maybe you can find a brand like that? All the others come in plastic here too.

We also get telegraph cucumbers in plastic (otherwise they only keep a few days apparently) but luckily the Lebanese variety seem to store better and we can get them uncovered. The Lebanese are what we grow in our gardens here so I expect they aren't available in New York!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Resting up for 2020
« Reply #1378 on: May 15, 2019, 05:08:23 PM »

Some stores have bulk pasta. Whole Foods has rice and pasta, not sure which other ones in NYC do.

@Fresh Bread - cardboard boxes for pasta is standard here. Plastic is used for some brands, usually specialty.

I think I'm going to switch to rice anyway. I got a giant bag for free, and it's easier to find in bulk bins. Every time I eat pasta, I end up overeating and feeling kind of sick.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1379 on: May 15, 2019, 05:24:19 PM »
I generally eat whole wheat pasta, which means there's a lot less choice in stores (at least in my neighborhood - Harlem grocery shopping isn't always great for health food). There was only one brand of whole wheat orzo and it was in plastic. I considered couscous instead for a recipe substitute, but the only ones I could find were either in plastic or in those tiny boxes with flavor mixes. I figured one plastic bag is better than four boxes of couscous containing four separate 'flavor packets'.

I never thought to look in the WF bulk bins for pasta... I'll see what they have next time I stop in there.

(And to nessness - I have zero access to outdoor space for growing plants, unfortunately. I was looking into maybe a potted-plant cherry tomato option but they put up scaffolding on my building so I haven't even had a sunny window for the last 11 months! Luckily there is a farmer's market so I can get good tomatoes plastic-free for a couple of months a year when they're growing locally.)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Resting up for 2020
« Reply #1380 on: May 15, 2019, 05:48:10 PM »
Dollar, might be worth checking out Organic Forever too if it's near you. Probably expensive but you never know. https://www.litterless.com/bulk-food-guide/new-york

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1381 on: May 15, 2019, 06:54:37 PM »
Dollar, might be worth checking out Organic Forever too if it's near you. Probably expensive but you never know. https://www.litterless.com/bulk-food-guide/new-york

Unfortunately that place closed and has been an empty storefront for ages. I used to walk by it fairly frequently. Thanks, though!

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1382 on: May 15, 2019, 09:50:43 PM »

Unfortunately that place closed and has been an empty storefront for ages. I used to walk by it fairly frequently. Thanks, though!

Ah bummer, it's such a shame when shops like that close. It's a difficult balance I'm sure in pricing / paying rent / getting the footfall. My local co-op moved to a higher priced site with higher exposure and has loads more members now but obviously it was a massive risk at the time. Today at the co-op I bought pepitas, milk and a brownie without packaging. I followed that up with a trip to the supermarket next door though for packet soup and biscuits :/

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1383 on: May 17, 2019, 07:18:29 AM »
Brought my own containers to the store I get my shampoo, spices and dried fruit from.  Our shower came with a fancy soap dispenser and I finally started using it when my health food store started selling my favourite expensive shampoo in bulk at almost half the price of the bottled product.  The soap dispenser is pretty mustachian in that it dispenses the tiniest amounts of shampoo so we are using way less than before.
Dried fruit keeps freshest in a mason jar in the fridge - and the family eats it because it is front of mind and convenient to get to.  I also think that if we eat prunes and apricots out of season, then the dried version has the most food value and lowest footprint.  So buying them in the mason jar and just bringing them home and popping into the fridge is a great way to save time as well as cut down on food waste.  (no one in the family likes to investigate what is in that plastic bag in the drawer of the fridge)
I dream of building a solar dehydrator and drying local in season fruits to really lower the footprint of my fruit loving family this summer and drying bushels of Niagara fruit so that I have a stash of dried fruits.  I can't can enough to last us all winter.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Resting up for 2020
« Reply #1384 on: May 17, 2019, 07:13:18 PM »
I bought bulk organic eggs! First time doing so. I brought in an old egg carton and took the amount I wanted. This will be really useful when I only need a few. They're more expensive, but eggs are cheap to begin with.

I brought a container for bulk nutritional yeast and had them weigh and tare it. Also only bought package-free produce - the prices at the closest coop grocery store were comparable to a big chain for some of it.

ETA: Picked up shower supplies from Buy Nothing.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 07:52:30 PM by MonkeyJenga »

Id rather be outside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1385 on: May 17, 2019, 09:50:43 PM »
Reading this is helping me stay motivated not to take the easy way out even with a baby in the house!

Today:
-baby is in cloth diapers that were line dried
-using cloth pads (And decided I will buy a cup after being inspired by others here.  Was going to buy more cloth pads now that I am home all day instead of at an office, but I want to try the cup first.)
-made a batch of baby food using a recipe from a library cookbook
-saved a bread bag to give to my in-laws for dog waste
-turned all the leftover foods in the fridge into a fried rice dish for dinner
-added food scraps to compost bin
-poured all water left in cups (mostly baby's!) into watering can for the houseplants
-turned power strip that controls wifi and TV off whenever baby was awake (we have committed to not using screens in front of baby during this stage of life)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1386 on: May 18, 2019, 11:29:46 PM »
Mowed the lawn with our reel mower, left the clippings to “grasscycle”

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Resting up for 2020
« Reply #1387 on: May 20, 2019, 09:17:23 PM »
Brought a hand towel on my hike to dry my hands in public restrooms. (It was too cold to air dry.)

Also successfully used my own container for the bulk bin at Fred Meyer!