Author Topic: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?  (Read 162416 times)

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #1200 on: February 15, 2019, 04:01:15 AM »
We're currently doing a DIY major to-the-studs kitchen remodel in the old house we bought, and we kept and repaired the existing appliances.  The dishwasher was leaking and the door hinge was broken, and the gas cooktop would not light, was missing gaskets, and needed a new gas supply line.  My DH has great fix-it skills, and he took both of them to pieces, diagnosed the problems, got parts at the local appliance repair store, and put them back together.  Voila -- both working great now. 

I feel like many (most?) people in our situation would have bought new appliances and trashed these.  I feel really, really good that we instead gave them a new life and kept them out of the landfill.   

HappierAtHome

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1201 on: February 16, 2019, 01:44:09 AM »
A friend told me that she's been thinking more about the environmental impact of flying as a result of conversations with me, and is going to donate the cost of her upcoming international flight to an offset charity. I don't have words for how happy this makes me.

I have started keeping a spare jug by the kitchen sink, and when I'm running the tap waiting for warm water I fill that jug. Then we use the jug of water later to fill up the kettle and anything else we need room temperature water for.

I am buying clothes from sources that make at least some effort towards ethical production (secondhand would be better, but I don't have much luck with finding anything that fits and is suitable. Looking forward to having more time for op shopping post-FIRE!).

Hosting family tomorrow and I'm making bread, dips and treats from scratch to minimise packaging.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1202 on: February 16, 2019, 06:58:37 AM »
I set up 3 bins in our kitchen yesterday, to help us sort our waste: compost, thin plastics and "general". When I set up our worm farm I'll add a fourth bin for that. They all live on our bench so it might feel a bit crowded, but I'll work out a nicer solution later - building the habits first!

I also rearranged our laundry to make the recycling bin and other tubs more accessible. We should be able to keep on top of the cloth nappy washing better now. I also ordered more cloth nappies last week, and have a date with a friend coming up to learn to put new elastic in some of my secondhand ones, as it's the part that goes bad first!

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1203 on: February 16, 2019, 11:46:12 AM »
Ran the laundry machine on 'eco' mode. No clue why I don't do that more often tbh.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1204 on: February 16, 2019, 10:14:10 PM »
  • Participated in a beach cleanup with friends and our two older kids; picked up masses of styrofoam and packaging and cup lids and plenty of weird stuff too, including pregnancy tests, flip-flops, plastic hangers, and so on.
  • Bottled my first batch of homemade apple-cider vinegar. It was oddly easy, it's tasty, and all the containers were acquired secondhand.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1205 on: February 17, 2019, 04:51:45 AM »
  • Participated in a beach cleanup with friends and our two older kids; picked up masses of styrofoam and packaging and cup lids and plenty of weird stuff too, including pregnancy tests, flip-flops, plastic hangers, and so on.
  • Bottled my first batch of homemade apple-cider vinegar. It was oddly easy, it's tasty, and all the containers were acquired secondhand.

Totally the kinda thing I'd use on a beach... Like, how?

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1206 on: February 17, 2019, 05:35:13 AM »

Totally the kinda thing I'd use on a beach... Like, how?

I think they probably wash ashore from garbage dumped in the ocean. :(

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #1207 on: February 18, 2019, 09:46:01 AM »
Picked up a bag of litter from my local neighbourhood for the first time since the autumn - I had been going out a lot in the summer to do it, but for some reason I'd stopped over winter while the nights were longer. Going to try to properly restart the habit.

Got the train back from visiting my long distance boyfriend instead of taking the car.

Walked to the train station from his house instead of letting him drive me.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1208 on: February 18, 2019, 09:42:49 PM »
I got a notice today that my apartment building is going to have a "brown bin" for compostables going forward - so I can put food scraps and food-soiled paper there. This is awesome :-)  Does anyone have a good idea for how to store compostables in a very tiny kitchen in a way that won't attract pests? I was thinking I might just put them in a paper bag in the freezer or something, although I hate to give up freezer space. I really don't know what else to do with it.

The city is also promoting a "zero waste pledge" to go with it, and if you sign up they will give you a free reusable bag or a cutting board. I don't need those things, so I'm going to skip the freebie. If other New Yorkers want to take part, it's at nyc.gov/zerowastepledge.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #1209 on: February 18, 2019, 09:53:14 PM »
Does anyone have a good idea for how to store compostables in a very tiny kitchen in a way that won't attract pests? I was thinking I might just put them in a paper bag in the freezer or something, although I hate to give up freezer space.

We used a lidded plastic container (once held dishwasher pods) stored in the freezer for many years. We now use a small lidded trashcan (with a push pedal) and take the removable liner to the bins when we can.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 09:59:57 PM by jengod »

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1210 on: February 18, 2019, 10:10:58 PM »
DH and I took lunch to work 2 days in a row, made by me. Turns out I love spinach smothered in hommus. Even better with a tin of tuna or tofu, very filling.

I brought my own cutlery and tea towel to work, to eat it with. I also purchased two glass keep cups for my and DH's offices, so we will both be more likely to use our Very Nice Treat Cups when we do purchase hot beverages. At home we already have reusable takeaway mugs we like taking to the park and using around the toddler, but I guessed correctly DH is much more likely to use one at work if it's a Fancy Cup.

Abe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1211 on: February 18, 2019, 10:43:52 PM »
I got a notice today that my apartment building is going to have a "brown bin" for compostables going forward - so I can put food scraps and food-soiled paper there. This is awesome :-)  Does anyone have a good idea for how to store compostables in a very tiny kitchen in a way that won't attract pests? I was thinking I might just put them in a paper bag in the freezer or something, although I hate to give up freezer space. I really don't know what else to do with it.

We bought one of those step-open waste bins, and use a compostable bag: https://www.amazon.com/UNNI-Compostable-European-Certified-Francisco/dp/B013XGQXVW
Double-check with your city that these can be processed, but most industrial composting methods can handle them. Have not had any issues with insects or rodents for the last 18 months (since we started).

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1212 on: February 18, 2019, 10:52:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies - but when I say "very tiny kitchen" I mean I do not have the floor space for a dedicated bin :-)  I have a trash can and it doesn't even really fit, the refrigerator door hits it and I can't use one of the drawers in the fridge because I can't open the door wide enough... :-/  The recycling goes in the livingroom, it looks terrible but I don't know what else to do with it. I really don't want a potentially-smelly food scraps bin in the livingroom.

A plastic lidded container in the freezer would probably work, though. I was thinking a paper bag because I usually drop recycle off on my way out of the building and I don't want to carry around a dirty container all day. But I could make more of an effort there...

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1213 on: February 19, 2019, 02:43:37 AM »
I was going to take small child out for dinner because DH is out tonight at a cooking class with his sister. Instead I took us home and made baked tofu with broccolini and asparagus.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1214 on: February 19, 2019, 02:44:05 AM »
@Dollar Slice -- when we lived in a small place with no room for a bigger bin we kept a smaller compost container under the sink.  At first we used an ice cream bucket with a lid, and then later we bought a stainless steel one that looked nice, and then it graduated up to the counter.  Like this one:  https://www.gardeners.com/buy/brushed-stainless-steel-compost-pail/38-560.html?utm_campaign=PLA&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=google&SC=XNET9983&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpq3R_r_H4AIVko3ICh135wtYEAQYBSABEgIapPD_BwE

I would avoid the ones with openings in the lid if you're worried about odors, fruit flies, etc.  The downside of these countertop models is that they're small and you'll have to empty it more frequently.  But they do look nice, imo.

mountain mustache

• Bristles
« Reply #1215 on: February 19, 2019, 07:04:56 AM »
I use a big plastic container with a lid, and keep it in the fridge. Then when it's full I bring it to my friends house to give to her chickens! I can't compost personally where I live, but recently found out she would love to take all of my fruit/veggie scraps, so this has been a great setup! It has reduced my regular waste a lot, because most of what I was throwing away was compostable matter.

TrMama

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1216 on: February 19, 2019, 11:27:45 AM »
Yesterday I started sewing my oldest daughter a new swimsuit using fabric and a pattern I already own.

Bought groceries using the fabric bags I sewed up several weeks ago. So far I've only had either no comments at all from the grocery staff, or really positive comments.

Went to the bulk store for nuts, beans and the vanilla coffee mix ODD loves. I looked for the mix in the grocery store and it only comes in overpackaged single serving sizes.

Started fixing ODD's broken dresser drawer using some L brackets and a couple paint stirring sticks. I really, really hate this dresser and would love to replace it, except it's an odd size that works perfectly in her room and was free. Hopefully my fix will make it less annoying to use.

I use a big plastic container with a lid, and keep it in the fridge. Then when it's full I bring it to my friends house to give to her chickens! I can't compost personally where I live, but recently found out she would love to take all of my fruit/veggie scraps, so this has been a great setup! It has reduced my regular waste a lot, because most of what I was throwing away was compostable matter.

We use a plastic ice cream container (about 4L) for collecting compost. It sits on our counter unattractively. For our family of 4 I only need to empty it once every 5-7 days. If you pick a metal, or ceramic container (maybe a cookie jar? or small coffee can?) it won't hold smells like plastic does. I wash mine with hot soapy water periodically to help keep any smells down to a low level. In the summer, it tends to attract fruit flies, so I try to take it out more frequently. Maybe you've got room for the container in the fridge?

If you're able to recycle and compost a lot of things, you might be able to get away with a smaller garbage can. That might free up more space for recycling and composting containers.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1217 on: February 19, 2019, 05:04:35 PM »
I went to the  gym that is half a mile from my work instead of the one that is like 5 miles out of the way.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1218 on: February 19, 2019, 10:01:57 PM »
I used bike+train to go to a workshop. Cost me $9 in fares instead of much less in fuel, and it took 1 hour each way instead of 15 minutes. I got to be active, spend time chatting with my mum and enjoyed the sunshine. It will take a bit less time once I'm fitter, but the amount of lights I have to wait at was a lot as well!

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1219 on: February 20, 2019, 02:16:17 AM »
I've started a bunch of seeds in the plastic containers a lot of fruits come in. Today I'll be potting them up into yoghurt containers I've been collecting from friends (I now make my own yoghurt into recycled glass jars so don't have them).

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1220 on: February 20, 2019, 05:02:13 AM »
I used some spare shelves (flat, rectangular pieces of plywood meant as spare shelves in a bookcase) to create a bench over my washing machine, between my current bench and the sink. I used something I already had, so no new resources, the wood gets a new home, and it has the financial benefit of giving us longer to save for our laundry makeover. Hopefully when they're no longer of use in the laundry, I can use them in the shed or find another new purpose for them.

TrMama

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1221 on: February 20, 2019, 02:49:21 PM »
Started fixing ODD's broken dresser drawer using some L brackets and a couple paint stirring sticks. I really, really hate this dresser and would love to replace it, except it's an odd size that works perfectly in her room and was free. Hopefully my fix will make it less annoying to use.

It's fixed! I can't believe how easy it was and how much better it works.

Biked to work today and yesterday.

Lunch was veggie pizza. Made with italian sausage flavoured seitan. Turns out my kids actually like this stuff, so that opens up a whole bunch of veggie meals for us.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1222 on: February 20, 2019, 08:23:46 PM »
Took the cargo bike to pick up the kids from school. It's been raining almost continuously for a couple of weeks (and I'm 28 weeks pregnant and somewhat worn out) so it's been a while.

We also added an Organic Transit ELF to our family. It's so much fun and will definitely open up some travel routes that aren't great with the cargo.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1223 on: February 21, 2019, 02:14:38 AM »
We also added an Organic Transit ELF to our family. It's so much fun and will definitely open up some travel routes that aren't great with the cargo.

WOW @jengod -- that's fantastic!  I hadn't heard of these, so thanks for the education!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1224 on: February 21, 2019, 02:53:58 AM »

WOW @jengod -- that's fantastic!  I hadn't heard of these, so thanks for the education!
Oh my goodness that looks like so much FUN! Er, and, uh, good for the environment too...

HappierAtHome

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1225 on: February 23, 2019, 05:57:20 PM »
Emailed a retail chain, asking them to consider adding an unpackaged option for customers who want to use their own containers.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1226 on: February 25, 2019, 06:22:27 PM »
We needed new toothbrushes so I purchased compostable ones for Pikelet and myself. The box says compostable in a home system (head removed) and since we will have one of those very soon, worth a try.

I suspect Pikelet, being a toddler, might have a hard time accepting a new tooth brush that isnít bright yellow. Wish me luck.

HappierAtHome

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1227 on: February 25, 2019, 06:59:02 PM »
We needed new toothbrushes so I purchased compostable ones for Pikelet and myself. The box says compostable in a home system (head removed) and since we will have one of those very soon, worth a try.

I suspect Pikelet, being a toddler, might have a hard time accepting a new tooth brush that isnít bright yellow. Wish me luck.

Good luck!!

I've seen a few people using the handles as plant labels. Just write on them with a sharpie and label your herbs and veges. I'm planning to do that with mine... And fully expecting Ewok to swap them all around :-P

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1228 on: February 26, 2019, 12:02:59 AM »

Good luck!!

I've seen a few people using the handles as plant labels. Just write on them with a sharpie and label your herbs and veges. I'm planning to do that with mine... And fully expecting Ewok to swap them all around :-P
Ohh I like that idea.

I gave her the toothbrush in the box and she opened it like a present. I think that might have made it ďspecialĒ enough that it can replace the bright yellow plastic one without too much fuss.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1229 on: February 26, 2019, 06:47:17 AM »

Good luck!!

Ohh I like that idea.

I gave her the toothbrush in the box and she opened it like a present. I think that might have made it ďspecialĒ enough that it can replace the bright yellow plastic one without too much fuss.
this is an excellent idea once I run through the stash I bought of easy-grip plastic ones. Which brand did you choose?

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1230 on: February 26, 2019, 06:11:17 PM »
* Bought coriander, paprika and Darjeeling tea from the bulk spices section at Sprouts and filled glass containers I had at home. Saves the environmental toll of producing and transporting a new spice jar. Probably saves a little $$ too.
* Peed in the backyard to save the flush water and activate the mulch decomposition.
* Rode public transit back from a doc appointment.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1231 on: February 26, 2019, 06:25:13 PM »

Good luck!!

Ohh I like that idea.

this is an excellent idea once I run through the stash I bought of easy-grip plastic ones. Which brand did you choose?
I went with an eco toothbrush for me and the biome home brand for Pikelet. The eco ones can have black or white bristles, I got black so when Mr Pancakes needs a new one we can tell them apart. I think they also had two styles of grip. .

So far it seems that Pikelet can chew the bristles off the biome one so Iíll probably try a different brand next time.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1232 on: February 27, 2019, 07:22:24 AM »
Took public transit instead of a taxi even though I had really heavy grocery bags.

Decided to try and re-repair a broken phone charger instead of condemning it to a landfill - the first repair was failing and a piece totally snapped off and exposed some electronic-y bits, but it still works so I stuck it back together with duct tape and will see how long it holds.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1233 on: February 28, 2019, 01:33:48 AM »
I received baby keep cups for my toddler and BFF's toddler for their "juice" and "coffee" when we're having drinks together. The toddlers were adorably taken with the idea.

I also noticed how much slower we're going through our cling wrap. Our stash of plastic containers (big for lunch, small for sauces and dips) is finally having a clear impact! Plus the dishwasher to keep it all clean so we can use it again ;)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1234 on: February 28, 2019, 03:05:56 PM »
My other half is retrieving used moving boxes and packing supplies from his coworkers... for our move closer to our works!

HappierAtHome

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1235 on: March 02, 2019, 04:13:00 AM »
Went to a friend's birthday picnic today. I baked a cake to avoid bringing packaged treats to share, and reused a birthday candle and cake topper. Brought along picnic plates, cutlery and cloth napkins to reduce the use of disposable plates etc. The birthday girl is keen on sustainability so she was very pleased.

I need to keep adding to my stash of cloth napkins and picnic reusables so that next time we won't have to use any disposables at all.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1236 on: March 02, 2019, 04:10:30 PM »
Went to a friend's birthday picnic today. I baked a cake to avoid bringing packaged treats to share, and reused a birthday candle and cake topper. Brought along picnic plates, cutlery and cloth napkins to reduce the use of disposable plates etc. The birthday girl is keen on sustainability so she was very pleased.

I need to keep adding to my stash of cloth napkins and picnic reusables so that next time we won't have to use any disposables at all.
Hmm this makes me think I should revisit my "picnic kit". It fell by the wayside as various things got "borrowed" to use elsewhere, but the weather and our lifestyle is perfect for picnicking right now. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow (hooray for public holiday!)

HappierAtHome

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1237 on: March 02, 2019, 07:03:00 PM »

Hmm this makes me think I should revisit my "picnic kit". It fell by the wayside as various things got "borrowed" to use elsewhere, but the weather and our lifestyle is perfect for picnicking right now. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow (hooray for public holiday!)

All of ours does double duty as toddler cutlery and crockery, and cloth napkins we use everyday. But it's so handy having stuff you can just throw together when needed.

It was the kind of party where everyone was impressed that the picnic rug came from Buy Nothing: good people.

retiredat58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1238 on: March 02, 2019, 07:32:15 PM »
Jengod, Iíd love to hear more about the Elf you purchased. I never knew about these and I live not far from where theyíre manufactured. Plus, Iím in an ideal location for one. Now, if I can just get my husband on board.Would love to hear how and when you use it.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1239 on: March 02, 2019, 07:39:27 PM »
HaH, I'd be thrilled if someone gave me a sustainable-picnic homemade-cake birthday party :-) Nice job!

I went to the store to buy eggs (not the one I usually go to) and almost all the eggs were in styrofoam (!!) or clear plastic containers. I managed to find one organic brand that cost $1 more that were in the usual recycled cardboard type of box. I didn't think of it till just now, but next time I go I'm going to take down the names of the companies using styrofoam containers and write to them about it. I can't believe anyone still does anything with fricking styrofoam in this day and age... literally no one wants that!

HappierAtHome

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1240 on: March 02, 2019, 08:37:39 PM »
I'm going to take down the names of the companies using styrofoam containers and write to them about it.

Yessssss!!

Geographer

• Stubble
« Reply #1241 on: March 02, 2019, 09:04:01 PM »
Biked to our local organic food store, filling mason jars with our bulk items. From there, biked to a brewery for some beers. Total round trip: 24 miles.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1242 on: March 03, 2019, 03:28:02 AM »
We forgot our reusable grocery bags AGAIN. After accepting that we're going to stuff up and think about where to put the bags so we remember them... Our store has cardboard boxes we could use! So no extra plastic bags!

Also, gotta pick a better spot or add reminders somewhere for the reusable bags...

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1243 on: March 03, 2019, 06:12:12 AM »
We forgot our reusable grocery bags AGAIN. After accepting that we're going to stuff up and think about where to put the bags so we remember them... Our store has cardboard boxes we could use! So no extra plastic bags!

Also, gotta pick a better spot or add reminders somewhere for the reusable bags...

How do you usually do your groceries? For me it's usually when I come back from work and have my work backpack, so I always make sure to have an extra bag in my bag that I use when I get groceries. You could try to do the same thing (e.g. keep them in the car, a bag you often carry, etc).

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1244 on: March 03, 2019, 06:32:08 AM »

How do you usually do your groceries? For me it's usually when I come back from work and have my work backpack, so I always make sure to have an extra bag in my bag that I use when I get groceries. You could try to do the same thing (e.g. keep them in the car, a bag you often carry, etc).
We usually get them at a random point during the weekend when the toddler needs to be entertained with people-watching from the trolley and one or both of us is rather tired. I've thought about putting the bags in the boot where the spare tyre is, so they won't get in the way during the week but also can't be forgotten? They're so bulky they get in the way if I tried to keep them in the main section of the boot all the time. We need about 6 big bags, generally.

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1245 on: March 03, 2019, 07:12:17 AM »
Made yogurt from some milk that had been sitting in the fridge longer than it should - saved wastage of the milk, as well as saving buying more yogurt.  This also avoids the new plastic containers for store-bought yogurt.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1246 on: March 03, 2019, 07:31:15 AM »
They're so bulky they get in the way if I tried to keep them in the main section of the boot all the time. We need about 6 big bags, generally.

I have big reusable bags, but I have to remember to take them with me.  I also have 2 nylon bags that fold into a small attached pouch.  They live in my purse, they take up very little room, and hold a lot of groceries.  If you can find some thin but strong fabric (nylon probably best) to make bags with, I can send you a description of the bags.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1247 on: March 03, 2019, 11:53:31 AM »
Jengod, I’d love to hear more about the Elf you purchased. I never knew about these and I live not far from where they’re manufactured. Plus, I’m in an ideal location for one. Now, if I can just get my husband on board.Would love to hear how and when you use it.

Hi @retiredat58:

We have three little kids (with #4 due in May) and we live smack in the middle of a very car-dependent city, so if we want to do commuter bike stuff we think we need to do it a little differently. I just don’t feel safe with my babies on bikes alongside our large highways.

Our first try was a Babboe Curve 4-seat cargo bike. We love it and I use it a lot. This is best for grocery shopping or supply-run type errands, and the afternoon school run when I’m not in a rush.

Our second try at cycle-based commuter transport is the ELF (Electric Light Fun). The ELF we purchased has room for two little kids to squish in the back. There’s a little trunk but not too much storage so I haven’t used it for shopping yet. This is best for the morning school run when my husband can stay with our 2yo and we need a little speed.

School run in car (one-way): 8 mins
School run in ELF: 10-15 mins
School run in Babboe: 25 mins

I am 5’2” and not particularly fit so the ELF’s e-assist is great getting up hills and ramps, and when I am carrying lots of kids. It’s also great to use the throttle to kick off from a stoplight at basically regular traffic speed.

The ELF only has one seatbelt in the back. (I tried putting my daughter’s big car seat in there and it just tipped her forward and didn’t seem to fit right.) The Babboe has harness-like seatbelts for each passenger and a custom “toddler seat.”

In stop and go gridlock, the ELF is easily competitive with a car. On a surface street with no traffic, the 20-25mph top speed is slow compared to cars that are going 40-45.

The battery is trickle-charged by the solar but can/should also be recharged from a wall outlet.

It has headlights, turn signals, a horn, a bell and an onboard battery monitor.

The biggest problem so far was that I tried to take it in a big automated car parking structure and it’s so light that it couldn’t trigger the magnet sensors that turn on the gateway machines. I should have just left it parked on the grass but my 6yo complained that was weird.

So far we’ve really liked it. It’s technically a “solar-charged recumbent e-bike in a car-shaped kayak shell” or a “solar car/golf cart.” My husband wants a second one someday, in a less garish color than our current Mango Safety orange.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:55:34 AM by jengod »

retiredat58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1248 on: March 03, 2019, 12:28:48 PM »
@jengod,

Iím fascinated by the Elf ! Iím one year into using my ebike and Iím familiar with how the electric bikes work .Iím 65, have had 4 joint replacements and the ebike is keeping me riding longer and easier.  Well worth the price.  The other reason for the Elf interest is that weíre about to purchase a golf cart, mostly to haul stuff from our house to the beach. ( chairs, umbrella, small cooler ) Husband is a big ďnoĒ to the Elf, still wants his motorized cart and is no where near as environmentally conscious as I am but it might not stop me. Thanks so much for your input and comments.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1249 on: March 04, 2019, 07:20:34 PM »
I took a frozen hot dog bun, smeared it with garlic butter, toasted it in the toaster oven, and dunked it in soup so as to prevent it from going to waste.