Author Topic: What should I do with my car?  (Read 3374 times)

Kazyan

• Stubble
    • Books By Tanner Jacobi
What should I do with my car?
« on: August 19, 2015, 01:06:26 PM »
-
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:57:07 PM by Kazyan »

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
Re: What should I do with my car?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 01:29:31 PM »
Does RelayRides exist in your area and will they accept a car that is 10 years old? If so, I'd rent the car out and earn some cash while you're not using it.

Or, I'd pocket the money and just rent a car when needed. You don't need to rent a car to go to the airport: you can take a Super Shuttle or something similar.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 01:45:39 PM »
Not knowing anything else I'd suggest option 1. Option 4 may be viable but I know that on my old cars it would not raise the value much. Rentals aren't that bad of a deal if you use them sparingly.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 03:11:31 PM »
How good is the public transportation in the city you are moving to? Will you have to pay to keep your car in a garage/space, etc...?  If public transportation is good, then you can sell it. If its like what we have here in Phoenix, then bleh... might as well keep the car and your sanity.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 03:24:12 PM »
That Volvo is a "nice enough" car to worth some good cash, but is from an era of Volvo's history that is notorious for dumb lingering issues (99-07ish).  Whether or not you replace it with a more Mustachian car or go car-free, I'd dump it while it's still valuable and fully functional.  You probably wouldn't want to deal with it long-term.

Just my two cents.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 03:28:41 PM »
How good is the public transportation in the city you are moving to? Will you have to pay to keep your car in a garage/space, etc...?  If public transportation is good, then you can sell it. If its like what we have here in Phoenix, then bleh... might as well keep the car and your sanity.

Agreed. If you have space and the means to keep the car around, it's not a bad thing to have, especially since you've paid it off. Just make sure that you drive it *sometimes* at least to get the most for whatever you paying on insurance LOL. But in some places it does turn out to be handy. I think this is less of a question of Mustachianism and more of a question of Minimalism - a hardcore minimalist (but not necessarily a Mustachian) would say "ditch the car and bike FOR LIFE!"

And if the bumper is not bothering you or causing further potential damage down the road, I would just leave it as is. Maybe look into DIY painting yourself if you have time. Renting out the car is another great option lbmustache suggested.

Otherwise, if you're moving to an area where it's way more expensive to keep the car, then maybe get rid of it.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 03:31:32 PM »
That Volvo is a "nice enough" car to worth some good cash, but is from an era of Volvo's history that is notorious for dumb lingering issues (99-07ish).  Whether or not you replace it with a more Mustachian car or go car-free, I'd dump it while it's still valuable and fully functional.  You probably wouldn't want to deal with it long-term.

Just my two cents.

This is another great point. My car is a Camry, so it's probably relatively much less expensive to deal with in terms of when things go wrong. If the cost (both mentally and financially) of long-term maintenance is anticipated to be much, it's probably worth selling off then. Unless you are friends with a mechanic or are the DIY mechanic type.