Author Topic: What is the best bed sheet?  (Read 4939 times)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
What is the best bed sheet?
« on: July 05, 2019, 12:13:05 PM »
I have a new to me bed (actually my great great grandparent’s - a half tester), but I needed to buy a new mattress. The mattress arrived yesterday.

I inherited sheets with the bed, but they don’t really fit. The fitted sheets are either too small and don’t fit, or aren’t as deep as the mattress, so leave the bottom few inches exposed. The top sheets are too short (probably because the mattress is so thick), or have seen much usage, and are actually fraying at the top edge. I don’t think I was given the ones that had been turned, so each sheet is in one piece. The sheets are also a bit too narrow for the mattress. If they were only too short, I could have used one to lengthen several others (adding a nice fold over at the top), but it seems like I need new ones.

I have occasionally bought sheets in the past, but have usually bought sheeting and made sheets from it. So I have never been in the market for nice sheets. I would like to get sheets that are worth embroidering the top edge. Since I have a fancy bed, I might as well make fancy edged sheets.

So what would you recommend?

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: What is the best bed sheet?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 10:34:39 AM »
I'd go to Home Goods or TJ Max or Tuesday Morning. They usually have a nice selection of reasonably priced sheets, and I really like to touch them before I buy.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 11:09:08 AM »
I think finding the right bed sheet is pretty personal.

Do you mind wrinkles?
100% cotton or a blend or microfiber or ?
Would you prefer percale or sateen or even a jersey (t-shirt type of material)?
price point?

Like Cranky, I like to touch the sheets before I purchase them - helps me ignore things like thread count and focus on what I think would be comfortable for me.

Personally I prefer a "crisp" 100% cotton percale sheet that I don't mind ironing a bit at the top.  I have a set that has stripes woven into the material - it makes it easier to make the bed. I have paid a lot for these sheets, but the ones I have (I think they are Charisma) have lasted a long time. 

It sounds like you now have a deep mattress so you are likely looking at fitted sheets that say they accommodate a deep mattress. I think 18-22" is pretty standard for these. I have gotten burned though with sets that say the fitted sheet accommodates a deep mattress, but the top sheets are not as oversized so they only barely tuck in underneath the mattress.  It's worth measuring the depth of your mattress and paying attention to the dimensions of the sheets.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 11:36:44 AM »
Smooth bedsheets that breathe well.  They're cooler.  You can always make a bed warmer by throwing on extra blankets, but keeping it cool and sweat free is tricky.

I'm a fan of cotton/bamboo mixes, microfiber, and silk.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 01:04:30 PM »
I've had these for a couple of years now and am quite happy with them. I bought the matching pillow cases too.
Ultra soft fitted sheet 300 thread count

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 05:00:17 PM »
Keep an eye on the Sheridan outlet. https://www.sheridanoutlet.com.au.  They have rotating deep discounts - you should be able to do better than 50% off...they do go up to 70%. You just might have to wait a bit until what you want comes up. Generally I've found their products to be long-lasting quality.

I did get my current sheets there at 70% off...they are 100% linen, which I had never slept on before so I bought the minimum just to try it out - I loved the look. But I love how linen feels sheets feel...unfortunately they've never sold any more since so I only have the one set.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 06:26:08 PM »
I'm not really qualified to give advice, but in another group I'm in, I saw Threshold sheets being recommended. You can get them at Target. The people were saying that they have double elastics, so they stay on the bed. Which for some reason, my sheets do not. My husband says its because I'm agressive sleeper. I have no idea, but it's pretty annoying that my sheet comes half off every freakin night! I'd gladly pay $50 at Target to get sheets that don't do that.

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 10:56:55 PM »
For the colder months, I highly recommend LL Bean flannel sheet sets. A bit of a splurge at 100$ for a set, but incredibly soft, warm, good-looking, and will likely last for quite a long time.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 06:10:37 AM »
Am I the only heathen that doesn't see a reason to not get the el cheapo set at Walmart?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 09:16:09 AM »
Am I the only heathen that doesn't see a reason to not get the el cheapo set at Walmart?
I bought a cheap set from Amazon (AmazonBasics) and it started pilling within months. Not sure if Walmart sets are any better.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 11:14:50 AM »
I have had great luck with sheet sets from Sam’s Club.

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 11:57:24 AM »
Pima cotton sheets

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 12:05:27 PM »

I actually have a set of cheap percale sheets that I bought at Walmart a zillion years ago, and I love them. But... these days a lot of cheap sheets are microfiber and I hate the way those feel.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 01:38:52 PM »
I love a lightweight high thread count cotton sheet in summer, but they don't last forever. Tuesday Morning has the best deals on high end sheets.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 02:34:15 PM »
I'm not really qualified to give advice, but in another group I'm in, I saw Threshold sheets being recommended. You can get them at Target. The people were saying that they have double elastics, so they stay on the bed. Which for some reason, my sheets do not. My husband says its because I'm agressive sleeper. I have no idea, but it's pretty annoying that my sheet comes half off every freakin night! I'd gladly pay $50 at Target to get sheets that don't do that.

The sheets I recommended above are the Target Threshold brand. I too am an "aggressive" sleeper and these stay put no matter how much I toss and turn.

Blue Skies

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 04:39:46 PM »
With a deep mattress you really are going to have to figure out your ideal dimensions and read the packages.  My new mattress is deep and I have two sets of sheets for it.  Both are supposed to fit deep mattresses.  One actually fits the way I want it to.  The other one is skimpy and frustrating to use.

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 07:08:45 PM »
I have been very disappointed with all the new sheets I’ve acquired from TJ Max and Marshall’s... all different brands but they all seem to be microfiber and feel sweaty or low threadcount cotton and feel scratchy and not nice. The only sheet set I like was a hand me down from a friend and I finally identified the manufacturer as Martex, so I bought another Martex sheet set and I love it as much as the hand me down one. They’re all cotton and feel nice and have deep pockets so I don’t have any trouble getting them onto thick mattresses. I will only buy Martex sheets now.

Goldendog777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 07:11:33 PM »
These are from Target, super soft and affordable.  Wash up well.  YoungHouseLove.com also recommends.
http://rstyle.me/n/cpiqv7s4m6

fdubz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 08:33:32 AM »
My favorites are Martha Stewart's percale sheets.  They are regularly on sale at Macy's.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 11:01:10 AM »
I bought a cheap set from Amazon (AmazonBasics) and it started pilling within months. Not sure if Walmart sets are any better.
Ours are from either Walmart, Target, or Meijer, but definitely the cheap store brand.  They've been fine for 4 (?) years.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 02:54:23 AM »
Thank you all for your advice. I have decided to get some fancy sheets, and to repurpose the ones I was given so I will have enough, but not too many. The responses have all made me think more clearly about this and have provided some options I hadn't thought of. Thanks muchly!

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 12:03:45 PM »

Nope, to me the question of "what is the best bed sheet?" is answered with "whichever ones at the thrift store strike your fancy".

But, we all have priorities in life and choose where to devote our resources.  I personally wouldn't splurge on sheets, but I'm sure other people feel the same way about some of my splurges. 

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 12:50:07 PM »
Splurging is an interesting concept.

I once read something where the author was suggesting that clothes shopping should be viewed from a dollars per wear perspective. Most evening clothes cost an enormous amount per wear, and she contended that you should get these from an op shop, or buy them in such a way that you could wear them more (for instance, using flashy accessories with clothes you can wear elsewhere), or not bother too much about how long they would last - a poorer quality finish is usually cheaper. On the other hand, clothes you use every day should be better made and perhaps consume more of your clothing budget.

I have since extended this thought to other things. If I’m not sure how much I’ll use something, I might buy the cheapest version of something as a proof of concept, and be prepared to buy for life later.

Given that you only need two sets of sheets, and they should last you at least 20 years, splurging on a fancy set is pretty harmless. It will set you back far less than a daily coffee habit, and it’s by far the smallest cost of changing to a different bed. Obviously, buying white sheets is much more likely to ensure they last for the entire 20 years than if you buy sheets in the latest fashionable colour (and stuff dyed white has a longer life than the same stuff dyed in colours, and is fade resistant). Airing the bed each day after you leave it, and simple ongoing maintenance can also extend the life of every part of the bed.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2019, 05:49:01 AM »
I've had these for a couple of years now and am quite happy with them. I bought the matching pillow cases too.

Is it mustachian to order these at 10 pm in a fit of rage after the current sheets came off the bed within ten minutes of getting into bed? Asking for a friend...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2019, 06:53:33 AM »

Is it mustachian to order these at 10 pm in a fit of rage after the current sheets came off the bed within ten minutes of getting into bed? Asking for a friend...

You can just buy strips of industrial velcro, then sew the hook side onto the mattress and the loop side onto the sheets if this is an issue.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 01:53:17 PM »
I am a huge fan of The Company Store sheets - purchased on absolute mark-down clearance, etc. as they are expensive (even when marked down) but are excellent quality cotton that wears forever. They last forever - like 20 years - have nice deep pockets, nice crisp cotton, etc.

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 02:35:30 PM »
I am a huge fan of The Company Store sheets - purchased on absolute mark-down clearance, etc. as they are expensive (even when marked down) but are excellent quality cotton that wears forever. They last forever - like 20 years - have nice deep pockets, nice crisp cotton, etc.

+1. Came here to say exactly this. :-)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2019, 03:37:41 PM »

Nope, to me the question of "what is the best bed sheet?" is answered with "whichever ones at the thrift store strike your fancy".

But, we all have priorities in life and choose where to devote our resources.  I personally wouldn't splurge on sheets, but I'm sure other people feel the same way about some of my splurges.

What if you were retired with a SWR of around 1%?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2019, 03:59:33 PM »

Considering the amount of thought I've given to bedsheets in the past four years has been the entirety of reading and posting in this thread, I can at least say no.

LilyFleur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2019, 11:10:33 AM »
Whatever they have at Costco.
I bought three sets of beautiful paisley sheets there several years ago, 100% cotton and a very low price.

However, my hairdresser informed me I need to be sleeping on a silk satin pillowcase to keep my hair from breaking so much.

My new silk pillowcase (a well-reviewed, reasonably priced one from Amazon), cost almost as much as an entire sheet set at Costco!

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2019, 05:32:47 PM »

Eh, maybe.  But I buy used stuff not just for money reasons, but also for the recycling aspect.  I do have a pretty nice mattress and would not cut corners on that and do spend more than many people on things like going out to eat.  I spend more on things I care about, less on the stuff that I don't.

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2019, 05:41:56 PM »
I've had good luck with the AmazonBasics sheets that I bought a few years ago. 

It's hard to compare the cheap sheets even with the same store though.  I imagine the store brands switch suppliers and change the materials.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2019, 05:27:38 AM »
I have gone through several crummy brands, and bought these recently and they are perfect.  Soft enough, they actually get clean in the washer (unlike the brushed microfiber ones) and they don't break the bank.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5JHYJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Clara Clark Premier 1800 Collection 6pc Bed Sheet Set with Extra Pillowcases

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2019, 07:30:30 PM »

Me too—my sheets kept coming off. So I bought a set from Amazon from some company that claims their sheets never come off the bed, double elastic. . So far that has worked.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 06:36:30 AM by iris lily »

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2019, 08:07:08 PM »
I got these sheets from LL Bean a few years ago.  They are very nice, if you like a crisp percale feel.  A bit heavy, but not a problem if you use air conditioning.  They have softened quite a bit since I bought them, and feel very luxurious.  Retail $150/queen, I got them on sale for ~90:  https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/113446?page=pima-cotton-percale-sheet-set

The other set of sheets I rotate are a percale from bed bath and beyond, on clearance for around $30.  They are lighter than the LL Bean, but otherwise similar.

It's only been a few years, but I like both similarly.  If they both last 20 years, I will be very happy, but I suspect that the BBB sheets will wear through before then, because of how thin they are.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2019, 06:11:50 AM »

Me too—I Sheets kept coming off. So I bought a set from Amazon from some company that claims that she’s never come off the bed it has elastic. So far that has worked.

Which sheets did you get? I bought a single fitted sheet from Target, Threshold brand, and its working well, but it's only been a week. They do have double elastics so I'm hoping that will continue to work. It was only $20 so I don't expect decades of use, but I'd be happy with a couple of years.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2019, 06:38:27 AM »

Me too—I Sheets kept coming off. So I bought a set from Amazon from some company that claims that she’s never come off the bed it has elastic. So far that has worked.

Which sheets did you get? I bought a single fitted sheet from Target, Threshold brand, and its working well, but it's only been a week. They do have double elastics so I'm hoping that will continue to work. It was only $20 so I don't expect decades of use, but I'd be happy with a couple of years.

This

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MXRC1RT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HerselftheElf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2019, 07:48:29 AM »
I sleep warm (and have a tempurpedic mattress that runs warm too!) so I like lower threadcount sheets.  We use the Better Homes and Gardens 300 count from Wally World...I think they're about $30 and I buy two to swap out on laundry day! 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!