Poll

What do you think of MMM Blog over last year or so?

Pure gold - get so much value out of it/best of the best?
6 (2.1%)
Pretty good - have really enjoyed most of the posts - still better than most blogs.
74 (25.7%)
Take it or leave it - other blogs are more interesting lately.
53 (18.4%)
Run its course - not that interesting/boring - I am mostly here for the forum.
155 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 283

Voting closed: March 10, 2017, 02:17:57 PM

Author Topic: What Do You Think of MMM Blog Over Last Year or so?  (Read 15189 times)

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
Re: What Do You Think of MMM Blog Over Last Year or so?
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2017, 08:20:36 PM »
*snip*
So, facepunches are no longer given as needed.  It's now "well, that's OK, you'll probably make it anyways" type comments.  Still useful, but not as honest.

Clearly you did not read The beatles Case Study.  :)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2017, 11:13:16 PM »
I am waiting to see the past year's annual spend for the MMM family!

I suspect he spent a whole lot more in 2016 than his last 3-4 years so this post may not come around.

I'm sure it was all a 'business' expense though.

That's what I cynically thought about the tally before it came out a year ago.  But like 4 tanks of gas -- that does NOT lie...that's commitment to your environmental / muscle power values.   This year with kid back in public school I think it will be more, but MMM always surprises me.

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2017, 11:20:54 AM »
To be honest, i rarely even check the main page these days...In fact, my shortcut goes directly to the Forums.

+1

I still read most of his posts, but once I had the basics down, the forums have been where it's at for me!

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2017, 11:57:56 AM »
I enjoyed the blog mostly due to MMM's style of writing and passion for the topic, not even so much for the topic itself. He could write about paint drying and I would probably find it interesting.

However, for me, it kind of jumped the shark with the "Staying Fit with no Gym In Sight" article. He made some claims that were easily debunked in the comments and his response was that he just didnt really want to take the time to research it before posting.  I completely get it - blog posts are a lot of work, but it was disappointing.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2017, 12:32:36 AM »
-There are those that are more day to day lifestyle blogs than pure FIRE - Frugalwoods, GCC

I think that this is what's happened to the MMM blog. It's become less about the nuts and bolts of financial independence, and has pivoted towards more a personal blog about what interests Pete.

By itself, that's perfectly OK. Anyone who is after a purely nuts and bolts blog can just go to the next FI blog that pops up. Others who are interested in some of the other things Pete blogs about will probably stay.

wwilberforce

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2017, 07:05:51 AM »
Like many here, I devoured the blog posts in a hurry. Work life had gone to shite and I was on fire with these ideas about finding happiness in ways that don't cost money. I'm not that far from RE. I'm fairly certain I'm already FI--although I can't be bothered to track expenses. I just know we're able to whack a ton of money into index funds at this point. Now that I'm a convert and know the way to build passive income it's pretty hard to get excited about most blogs I read. So I spend most of my time here reading the forums. Posts about how to survive the corporate environment when you have a few years to go but have checked out mentally...these I find most useful at this point. As for Pete...I think he's still really relevant. He's moved on from being about how to FIRE to questioning how we have organized life in our civilization for maximum inefficiency and waste. His latest post on city planning is good stuff. I suspect he's most interested these days in making our world more sustainable so little MM doesn't inherit a trash pile to live in...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:08:01 AM by wwilberforce »

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2017, 07:38:19 AM »
I'm totally grateful for the blog. It's written very well and it's something I can refer to people. I read most of the posts in order from beginning to end and found that process to be so transformational. I agree though that there is not much more to be said on this topic, so it will naturally wane as everything eventually does. I think it's so amazing that he kept it up for as long as he did with such a high degree of quality. If he did want to continue it, I think what might be more interesting is to write about more case stories about people who found MMM and turned their lives around. I think that would be very inspiring and a pleasure to read.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »
He's moved on from being about how to FIRE to questioning how we have organized life in our civilization for maximum inefficiency and waste. His latest post on city planning is good stuff. I suspect he's most interested these days in making our world more sustainable so little MM doesn't inherit a trash pile to live in...

That's kind of what I am getting at.  I liked the current post as well, even though I don't agree with all of it and in it ignores other parts of the full picture (but there is only so much...not that much....you can tackle in a single post). You can feel that he cares about and is interested in the subject matter and that flows through the writing....as I said think the posts over the last year or so didn't and were more about just posting to keep the blog active.