Author Topic: What do you eat?  (Read 5856 times)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
What do you eat?
« on: September 12, 2017, 12:24:51 PM »
What are your favorite Mustachian meals? What do you pack for lunches (for those of us still working)?

I'm looking to rotate more healthy meals in my schedule. Last week I cooked up a big pot of red beans and rice that fed me for a week of lunches for about $6. I also like to make chicken with dressed green beans for lunches, too. Dinners are a mixed bag and have been uninspired lately, which is why I'm posting!

So...what do you eat?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What do you eat?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 12:46:05 PM »
Meals over the past couple weeks (all relatively healthy and not too complicated to make):  Tabbouleh, pulled pork on home made whole wheat buns, home made pizza (with roasted veggies/hummus + olive oil instead of tomato sauce), dal and naan, roasted sweet potatoes/red peppers in a spicy thai peanut sauce, roast chicken and veggies.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 12:53:05 PM »
I eat a whole lot of fish, and lately pork tenderloin (it's a very, very lean/low fat cut of pork that is actually comparable with chicken in terms of fat/protein).

Frozen fish, swai or tilapia (whitefish) meal:

Pull bag o' frozen fillets from freezer, pre-heat oven to 375˚f
Spray cooking tray/pan with olive or canola oil lightly. Rinse frozen fish briefly under faucet with lukewarm water, shake off excess water, then arrange  fillets on pan. Lightly spray fillets with olive/canola.

Dust fillets with spice mix. Lately this has been: garlic powder, onion powder, dill, lemon pepper mix and kosher salt. Have also added "poultry seasoning" mix when I am feeling especially spicy.

Bake fish for 25 minutes, or until they are white and flake with a fork.

While fish is baking, mix up homemade tartar sauce:

4-6 tablespoons of mayo (eggless spread, miracle whip or the mayo with olive oil - it's all good)
1-2 tablespoons of sugar free pickle relish (we eat low carb so this stuff is fabulous)
1-2 tablespoons of minced onion (add extra tablespoon if using fresh if I feel like chopping onions, minced is super easy tho)
1-2 tablespoons of apple cider/red wine/malt vinegar/lemon juice (any of these are appropriate; I have a variety of vinegar on hand, so I use whichever and the tastes are subtle but fabulous)

OPTIONAL: garlic powder and dried dill to taste

All measurements approximate as I usually mix up the tartar to taste/need. Way tastier than store bought and I love that I can make it almost no carb due to the use of sugar free relish. Making this a day ahead or even an hour or so and letting it sit in the fridge for the flavors to meld is also great.

Once fish is almost ready to come out, we microwave a bag of steamed veggies: either broccoli, california blend, or lately, baby brussel sprouts (dressed with a mix of salt, one of the vinegars and olive oil to taste). Meal takes about 15 minutes to prep and provides leftovers for two for two more meals when we get the 32 ounce bag of fish.

All of this is great for leftovers. Tilipia and swai fish isn't fishy odor-y type fish so can reheat in microwave (don't do more than a minute or two tho to prevent overcooking) so can be great work lunches too..

Other super easy meal is the pork tenderloin and veggies (same frozen/steam in bag veggies as above).

Open package of pork tenderloin, dump watery stuff, toss out package. Place meat in pan. Preheat oven for 400˚f. Bake for 25 minutes per pound. We like our tenderloin a bit pink on the inside (which is actually safe according to the new FDA standards) so it is tender and delicious. We like it now with a touch of horseradish sauce on the side. Slice into thin medallions. Serve with steamed veggies. Reheat in microwave using 50% power so you don't overcook. Can also use pork for making mock Cuban sammies: sliced thin, add mustard, swiss cheese (we've also used cheddar) and pickles on thin toasted bread (I don't eat mine with bread - melt cheese on top of meat, have pickles and mustard as dipping sauce).

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:36:50 AM by Frankies Girl »

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 06:01:09 PM »
).

Frozen fish, tilapia o..

Thanks for posting a way to cook it directly from frozen without it being watery! I often. It tilapia and then it languishes in the freezer because I don't remember to take it out and put in the fridge the night before... and don't want to mess about with microwave or water defrosting.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:49:32 AM »
We eat a lot less meat, chicken and fish than we used to - for both mustachian and ethical reasons and a lot more beans, pasta and tofu.  I'm glad it's finally cooled off so I can make lentil and other bean soups in the pressure cooker.  My kids aren't big bean soup or chilli eaters but they love them plain out of the can or the pressure cooker.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 07:04:46 AM »
We recently learned to make homemade corn tortillas, and it's my new favorite thing.  I'm very fond of making homemade pizzas - I've finally figured out I can par-bake the crusts and freeze them for a quick weekday meal, almost as fast as buying frozen pizzas, and faster than take-out.  I also batch cook a lot of soups - my last big batch was a veggie soup that yielded 13 quarts.  Gnocchi is another great one for rush nights - I make a batch ahead and freeze, they take about 5 min to cook and feel totally decadent.

This week's menu:

Sun: Chicken Tacos with roasted red pepper spread
Mon: Bean Burritos
Tues: Veggie Soup
Wed: Chicken Pesto Paninis (this was on my meal plan, but we got invited to my sister's for dinner at the last minute, so we won't actually be making them.  It's great, since that's the most expensive meal of the week!  Depending on SO's feelings, we may make it tomorrow instead of the pasta.)
Thurs: Pasta with Steamed Broccoli
Fri: Pizza
Sat: Gnocchi

Lunches are whatever is leftover from dinner - I'm seeing a lot of beans and rice in my future this week, leftover from the burritos.

Normally I'd have the gnocchi on a work night and cook something more labor intensive on the weekend, but we have people coming to visit this weekend so I'm showing off :P

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 09:20:42 AM »
I make a super hearty split pea soup with smoked ham hocks from scratch in a large dutch oven cast iron pot. It is extremely thick and nutrient dense, very well rounded nutritionally (lots of different veggies/fresh herbs), and insanely delicious. Usually serve it with a slice of fresh/good bread for dipping. One pot will last us >1 week with each serving costing less than $0.40. The challenge is to source as many fresh herbs as possible without breaking the bank here.

Folks tell me its the best split pea they've ever had. And it is extremely filling.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 09:36:17 AM »
I'm not Indian, but I've been into homemade Indian food lately. If you can get the spices online or, better yet, from an Indian market, it's cheap. Mostly beans or lentils and rice, with some cauliflower or potatoes or whatever. Thanks to the Indian spices, it feels exotic even though it's just beans and rice. veganricha.com has some amazingly authentic recipes (not that I really know what authentic Indian food is, having never been there, but it tastes like what I've had at Indian restaurants that are run by actual Indians).

For a very quick work lunch, I'll throw some salsa on top of black beans and brown rice (previously cooked and kept in the fridge or freezer). Or salsa on top of a sweet potato. Or a sweet potato with cinnamon and bits of dehydrated pineapple. You can bake several potatoes in advance and keep them in the fridge. Or just microwave one in the morning before you go to work.

I also like overnight oats at work. (Obviously works great for breakfast, too.) The night before, throw a cup of oats into a big Mason jar. Add water or milk up to the level of the oats. Then add whatever fruit or spices you want. Apples and cinnamon have been my go-to lately. Feeling a bit fall-ish. :-) Sometimes I also add some powdered peanut butter; I find that it mixes in better than regular nut butter, but you might like having large swirls of nut butter.

One of my snacks (or maybe a work lunch, combined with a salad or something?) lately has been: whole what tortilla smeared with almond or peanut butter, then wrapped around a banana. Sort of a sweet burrito.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 10:37:29 AM »
Having 4 kids I try to make things that are cost effective, try to be healthy and wont have many leftovers.

I buy the big bag of turkey meatballs at Aldis (48 in a bag) for 4.99$ and add a jar of sauce , hot dog buns and piece of provologne so that will make 12 sandwiches for under 8$ and they will dig in.

I also do the same thing with steak sandwiches.

I make alot of leaner pork meals that I can do in the slow cooker as well as I buy the thighs at Aldis and just remove the skin for usually 89cents a pound.

Make tuna casserole, alot of cold pasta Salads loaded with veggies all things to try and get nutrition in. We dont really as a family worry about carbs and stuff but do try to always cut sodium, fat etc...

I also make a fruit salad almost every night but use chunk pineapple as my base since good for you and then I dont use any other juices and everything else is whats fresh and on sale.

Bottom line i buy whats on sale and make meals around it by googling for recipes and have now about a dozen go to's as I keep working on adding to my aresenal!

lentil

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »
Lentil-veggie soup, chili, dal, and a variety of curries are our "batch cook" staples -- I make a big pot once or twice a week, freeze the leftovers into a week's worth of lunches, and rotate the soups regularly so I don't get too bored (as far as I can tell, my partner is immune to food boredom, but I am more difficult!). I add new soups/curries/etc. to the rotation once I've had the opportunity to optimize them (the more efficient, the better!), so the list keeps growing, albeit slowly. Most of these work out to about $0.50/serving, freeze well, and are packed with veggies (we're both vegetarians, FWIW).

Now that the weather is turning autumnal, I can stand to turn the oven on, so that creates more meal options. I made a couple of big pasta-and-veggie bakes and froze them last weekend, ready to pull out sometime when we really don't feel like spending time in the kitchen. Eggs were BOGO a few weeks ago, so I made lots of quiches/frittatas with seasonal veggies until the eggs were used up. Some of these things make enough leftovers for a few lunches. My experience has been that our oven-baked meals work out to be a little pricier per serving, around the $1-3 range, probably because they rely more on cheese & eggs (versus the legume-laden soups).

We also have a list of go-to meals, usually the sort of thing that can be cooked in a skillet, which both of us contribute to. Scrambled eggs (plus veggies), fried rice (good for using up leftovers), taco salad (or any other kind of quick protein-and veggies meal, like falafel salad, tacos, burritos, etc.), that sort of thing. These tend not to generate much leftovers, which is fine, but they add a lot of much-needed variety. For instance, we make a stir fry pretty much every week, using whatever veggies are in season (or on sale), and it's always different and always delicious. These are often our most flexible meals in a lot of ways, and the price/serving is really variable. Sometimes very low, sometimes on the higher end.

The way I combine these, in a typical week, is to aim for 1-2 nights where I make a large batch of soup/stew/chili/curry in the Instant Pot. Besides being 1-2 dinners, these are the bulk of our lunches, at home and packed for work (we freeze them into single-serving containers). Once or twice a week, I make a more exciting/elaborate meal, like a new recipe, so that I can keep expanding my list...but if it's a really busy week, I aim low, because I'd rather not burn myself out too badly. We have a stir fry night most Fridays. The remaining handful of days are a mix of quick skillet meals, leftovers, and stick-it-in-the-oven-and-bake things (i.e. low-or-no prep, or things I've prepared at some point in the past). If I plan ahead -- which I am still learning to do! -- we can organize the week so we aren't too bored, too burned-out on cooking, too overwhelmed, etc., but it's always a bit of a balancing act.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 11:58:36 AM »
We usually start with a protein. We tend to have a protein-of-the-week; get the value pack, usually cook it all at once and eat throughout the week. About half the time it's chicken-cheap, versatile, nutritious, and the other half we alternate depending on what's on sale or what we feel like...we'll do pork or beef usually as a roast (economical and tasty!), bags of frozen salmon or shrimp, sausages, rarely tuna or beef steaks, etc.  And sometimes we go vegetarian for a week, too.

Once we pick a protein, we pick a flavor or form factor... If I just want to bake or grill chicken, do I want to citrusy, mustardy, balsamic, glazed, etc. Or we might decide to shred the chicken or pork, then we usually do tacos or bbq sandwiches (shredded chicken also does well on pizza or in pasta--versatile!) Or we might be feeling stir fry, curry, or meatballs. If I look for recipes, it will typically be at this stage ("Shredded chicken" or "mediterranean chicken" or "balsamic glazed salmon" etc)

Then I pick accompanying vegetables that I think work well with the meat/flavor chosen...comes down to personal preference, I don't like bell peppers or broccoli with fish, tomatoes don't make sense with Asian-inspired dishes/flavors, that kind of thing.

Finally, I decide if grains/starches are warranted...We tend toward the low-carb school of "what is healthful?" so I try to treat these as embellishments rather than the main event.

As with most things in life, 80/20 rule applies. Sometimes I/we start with a non-meat ingredient or concept: risotto, tomatillos, beets, pad thai, etc. Sometimes I see a recipe I want to try directly (I recently followed Food52 on fb, they have some interesting ideas).

Some favorites we come back to:
-Tacos or Fajitas (with almost any meat, usually bell peppers b/c bf loves them)
-Curry with any or all of sweet potato, peas, cauliflower, chickpeas, carrots, broccoli stems, kale, paneer, chicken, served with rice or flatbreads
-Zucchini risotto (I use a recipe from food.com)
-Budget bytes cowboy caviar, I also love her quinoa tabbouleh (protip: keep tomatoes and cukes separate)
-Thai/Vietnamese fresh rolls: rice wrappers, shrimp or tofu, rice noodles, lettuce, cukes, carrots, peppers, sprouts, herbs (mint, basil, cilantro, NEVER from conventional supermarket, too $$$), and of course peanut sauce! I use a recipe from chowhound.com
-Rice bowls-my go-to quick meal. 1c sushi or jasmine rice with 1-2 vegetables and a protein (crabsticks/cuke/avocado, salmon/wilted kale/mushroom/omelet, chicken/broccoli/carrots, etc!!)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GuinnessPhish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 02:47:54 PM »
Some healthy, easy recipes you should definitely consider making, and then having as foods you should frequently if not always have available to eat.

This is super easy and delicous, and can be eaten cold as well.

Oatmeal bake:

Add 2.5 cups hot water to 3 1/3 cups oatmeal.

Add 3 diced apples (granny smith and gala are the two I've used so far), 3/4 cup raisins, 1/2 cup chopped nuts, 10 oz soy or almond milk, and 3 tablespoons cinammon.  Mix and pit in baking dish, 355 degrees, 40 minutes.

This soup is super easy and delicous.

https://www.yummyhealthyeasy.com/healthy-tuscan-vegetable-soup-easy

Both of these items have become staples in my house.  I make them numerous times a week.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 07:54:07 PM »
We make bulk meals, so we only cook twice or three times per week and make enough to last at least 2 dinners and 2 lunches. We like to try out lots of different flavors and cuisines. A few of our favorites that we rotate through:

(Vegetarian) Pesto pasta with cubed sweet potatoes and onions
Oyako Donburi (japanese dish - chicken, onions, shiitake mushrooms, carrots, green onions, and eggs. Serve over rice)
Butter chicken (Indian)
Homemade burrito bowls (make a big thing of pulled pork, add salsa, rice, beans, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, etc. Delicious, and the pork lasts almost a whole week!)
(Vegetarian) Squash, pepper, tomato gratin casserole
creamy tortellini soup (sausage, veggies, cream broth, spinach)
Chicken stir fry with veggies (broccoli, snow peas, carrots, onions, etc)
stuffed peppers
Moroccan Chicken (has dates and dried apricots and raisins, yum!)
homemade garbage pizza
Roasted Chicken, squash, and asparagus
Jumbalaya
Risotto

As you can see, we have a lot of rice or pasta dishes that we can make stretch by serving over that starch. Our staples are onions, peppers, carrots, chicken, squash, etc.

Additionally, for breakfast every day we make homemade green smoothies that we take to work. Almonds, almond milk, frozen berries, frozen spinach or kale, cranberries, a banana. Healthy on the go!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:56:12 PM by Lady SA »

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 11:05:46 PM »
I do most stuff from scratch.  Tonight I had a little help with some dried tortellini I picked up from the bulk bin earlier this week.  Got hungry, so I boiled some water and while that was getting hot, I chopped up some garden fresh tomatoes (some from my parent's garden, some from a quilting buddy).  Put those in a sauce pan with some granulated garlic, onion powder, dried basil and oregano.  Then just cooked it until the tortellini was done.  I wasn't really aiming for a sauce, just seasoned tomatoes, but it ended up like a thick sauce with seeds and skins, which I don't mind.

My son has started making homemade tortillas, and those are awesome.

I found some pita bread on clearance, so I'll probably make some chicken salad (with home canned chicken) and cook up some bacon.  Then add lots of lettuce and tomatoes.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 04:35:51 AM »
- tinned fish and crackers
- veggie egg scramble (anything in the fridge...cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, sprouted beans, habanero peppers). More veggie than egg.
- stew and rice (African cooking) As many ingredients and types as you want....lasts for a week. Chicken stock and water base with sautéed onion, spices, produce, and a little smoked meat for flavor.)
- raw platters (ex: yesterday I had a plate with 1 carrot, 2 radishes, 1 stalk of celery, cupful of raw baby kale and spinach, sliced cucumber with a little vinegar,garlic salt and black pepper, and a slice of cantaloupe. Sometimes I'll add a hard boiled egg or a piece of fresh mozzarella if I haven't had much protein for the day.

There is an Asian grocery store nearby that sells quality produce dirt cheap, plus I have parrots on a fresh food diet, so we eat a lot of produce. I eat a lot of bad crap too, but no need to share that lol! My dream is to have a produce fridge, or a cool room in my house, and of course a garden which produces more. The thing with eating produce, especially raw, is you have to eat ALOT.

I add oil to everything too. Makes it ore filling for longer. And it's relatively cheap and can be healthy if used correctly.

MJseast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 07:13:30 PM »
+1 on the lentil veggie soup. That's a staple in our house. We buy organic lentils (and rice) in bulk from Cash N Carry and store them in the big orange buckets with lids from Home Depot in another room, with a smaller supply stored in our cabinets in glass jars. And top the lentils with red wine vinegar before serving - delicious!

Other staples are:
Fish tacos - frozen tilapia from TJs, with homemade "slaw" made from grated carrots and red cabbage;
Calzones - using pizza dough from TJ's;
Coconut curry - buy curry paste in bulk and mix a few teaspoons in with a can of coconut milk, satueed veggies and serve over rice
"Buddha Bowls" - quinoa topped with veggies like zuchini, kale, sateed onions and garlic and then topped with a homemade tahini lemon dressing
Other "bean and rice" type dishes like Chana Masala and Kitchari
Soups - chicken soup with matza balls is another favorite, potato & kale soup, vegetable with tortellini soup; really we just make up all kinds of soups depending on what is in the fridge that needs to be used up. We buy chicken bouillon in bulk and that is the base of every soup we make.

Lunches are usually leftovers, or I will make things like tuna salad wrapped in nori (seaweed sheets) with cucumber slices, egg salad sandwich, deviled eggs, or scrambled eggs with veggies. But I usually work from home so it's easier.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 07:41:48 PM »
Fish - Cod, Sardines, Salmon ... usually grilled. Cod is usually in the oven though like in a casserole.

Meat - Chicken and pork lots of pork like loin - loin is a healthy part of the pork. Comparable to Turkey and Chicken... it falls within the camp of "white meats" ... steak such as tenderloin which in my opinion is one of the best parts of beef and yet not many americans seem to like it as much...

Black beans ... Chick peas and tuna salads... black eyed peas w/ tuna for example and boiled eggs and onions... super healthy and cheap!

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 08:20:30 PM »
Hey! I pack breakfast and lunch for me and DH every week (from scratch). I usually post about my Sunday meal prep menus on my journal, so feel free to check that out!

Here are a few of my go-to meals:

Breakfast:

Baked Egg Cups (in muffin tins)
Scrambled Eggs + Tomatoes
Scrambled Eggs + Sausages
Scrambled Eggs + Hashbrowns
Baked Egg Cups + Bacon
Frittata with Spinach + Feta
Frittata with Mushrooms
Breakfast Burrito with Eggs, Spinach, Cream Cheese, Hot Sauce

Lunch:

Chicken Char Siu + Fried Rice
Adobo Chicken + Cilantro Rice + Black Beans + Lime
Pasta Salad + Chickpeas + Corn + Artichokes + Tomatoes + Salad Dressing
Romaine Salad + Feta + Olives + Tempeh + Chickpeas + Sun Dried Tomatoes
Gumbo + Sausage + Shrimp 
Beef Chili + Cornbread
Polenta + Short Ribs
Meatloaf + Mashed Potatoes (or Butternut Squash or Sweet Potatoes)

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 09:00:07 PM »
I make a super hearty split pea soup with smoked ham hocks from scratch in a large dutch oven cast iron pot.

I'm not Indian, but I've been into homemade Indian food lately.

Laserjet3051 & GreenSheep, do you have recipes you'd be willing to share?

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 10:27:52 PM »
Wonderful motivational thread! Really appreciate the 'protein of the week' idea mentioned above.

Since I live on my own in Hong Kong and also can't cook much at home (tough to keep vermin away in old tropical buildings if any food smells whatsoever), some of this might not apply to you! But should be available at an Asian supermarket in your town. A couple of my favorite quickie lunches are:

* Cheap salmon cuts from the sushi shop (US$1.50 for 100 grams), great heated up at work for 2 days of sandwiches with salad
* As a backup, Indian meals like https://www.mtrfoods.com/products/ready-to-eat under US$2 each, I can stretch them to last 2 servings with rice or bread from home or frozen spinach
* Thai fish cakes are a great flavorful protein, usually cheap from Asian shops, great tossed in with rice, noodles, pasta with veg

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 05:46:03 AM »
I 99% of the time cook at home, VERY rarely go out (like maybe 5 times a year).

Usually:
Pick from rice, pasta or potato (carb element)
Pick from and add veg, tomato sauce, beans or egg if making stir fry (veg/bean/egg element)
This forms most of my lunches/dinners.

Occasionally I'll have a frozen pizza or tv dinner as well.

I do drink some fancy beer, and eat fancy euro chocolate more than I should.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 08:39:24 AM »
I make a super hearty split pea soup with smoked ham hocks from scratch in a large dutch oven cast iron pot.

I'm not Indian, but I've been into homemade Indian food lately.

Laserjet3051 & GreenSheep, do you have recipes you'd be willing to share?

veganricha.com
Indian-American software engineer turned home cook (due to brain injury/illness) turned online chef turned cookbook author. Her book is excellent. Her non-Indian recipes are fine, but I really like her Indian ones.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2017, 01:56:06 PM »
^ Thanks!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 07:00:11 PM »
I fell off the meal planning wagon this summer but historically have put my food on autopilot as much as possible.

Right now it's just me, and I tend to rebel against an actual menu plan (even if I'm the one that made it) but don't mind leftovers. I've noticed there are some foods I get bored of after a few weeks. I also need a lot more protein and fat than carbs, and have trouble with most grains. I tried to reintroduce beans (oh how I miss my cheap cheap beans) and it didn't go well so legumes are out for a bit.

My current eating tends to look like:

Breakfast daily: hard boiled eggs x 3, homemade yogurt, berries, steel cut oats

Lunch daily: protein (same thing x 7 days then switch the next week, so this week is all about salmon filets for lunch)
                  on a salad with lazy dressing (oil, mustard, and an egg, buzz with the stick blender)
                  with cheese (this week feta)
                  and starch (this week roasted potatoes)

Dinner daily: rice or potatoes or squash (this week rice)
                  with veggies (random roasted medley this week)
                  and sauce of some sort (using up a teriyaki-ish blend)
                  and a fat (cheese or a side of cottage cheese and fruit)

Snack for the past few weeks if I'm still hungry after lunch has been apples with nut butter (eaten with my lunch).

My body does best with the bulk of fuel in the morning and tapering off throughout the day (except for wine calories, ha!), and prefers larger meals with no snacking in between. I batch cook on the weekends, and when I stick to the make-components-that-can-be-thrown-together method it tends to work well for busy weeks.