Author Topic: What are the best ways to study for the GED exam?  (Read 3081 times)

WinnieC76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What are the best ways to study for the GED exam?
« on: February 06, 2018, 08:51:52 AM »
Is it ok to study online for the GED test and skip the conventional classes? What are cheaper ways to do this as well? A faster and easier way to study for the GED would be much appreciated!

FIence!

• Stubble
Re: What are the best ways to study for the GED exam?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 01:37:10 PM »
There are very large books put out by Kaplan, McGraw-Hill, and Princeton Review. Most libraries will have these books. If you can't find them through the catalog, ask a librarian. (Some libraries consider these reference material and will only let you take them out for very short periods, or only let you use them in the library). Most of the prep classes will use one of these books, so if you feel you can follow along in the book by yourself it's worth a shot.

If you are either young or low income, you might be able to find free prep classes locally. I would search for local Adult Ed (sometimes called ABE at community colleges), and maybe even make a few calls to the local school board and unemployment offices to see if they have any leads.

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 03:38:38 PM »
I think it is ok definitely but it's like anything else.  Are you going to take the time to actually do it?  Maybe you will but that's the question I would ask yourself.  There are plenty of resources available at libraries and of course free online.  An actual in person course may be able to give you tips, strategies, etc. on test-taking.  If you are self-motivated you will be fine on your own.

Question - What's your reason for getting the GED?  What are your plans?

WinnieC76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 09:49:53 AM »
I'm trying to help a friend out. He's a nice chum, but kinda unmotivated. He dropped out of high school and plans to take the GED test to be able to go to college. We're currently checking a site named Test Prep Toolkit, and it's kinda cool because they provide free practice tests and study lessons on the actual topics that comes out in the GED. Online test prep at Test Prep Toolkit also includes online classes. They're for free, and considering that my buddy is a techie, he'd be glad to do his studying online!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 05:29:20 PM »
Most public libraries have GED study materials, some online and some not.

ThreeCarbsNoGrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 06:32:51 PM »
Most technical colleges offer free GED tutoring.  Definitely have him start there before buying any books.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 07:17:01 AM »
Most technical colleges offer free GED tutoring.  Definitely have him start there before buying any books.

This.  The local community college offers free GED classes.  It would be worth checking to see what’s available in your area.

milliemchi

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 05:42:10 PM »
If he dropped out of high school because of motivation issues, I don't see him finishing college.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »
If he dropped out of high school because of motivation issues, I don't see him finishing college.

Agreed.

At least when he dropped out of high school, he didn't incur any
student loan debt.

OTOH, I think it's admirable that you're attempting to assist your
friend in obtaining his GED, which may benefit him later.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »
Have you tried Quizlet? It's a free online tool that usually has flash cards and sample tests for all sorts of standardized tests.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 06:38:11 PM »

Agreed.

At least when he dropped out of high school, he didn't incur any
student loan debt.

OTOH, I think it's admirable that you're attempting to assist your
friend in obtaining his GED, which may benefit him later.

GED courses at technical and community colleges are not college courses, but prep for the GED, and they are usually (always?) free.

Here's the national (US) directory of programs - click on "adult learner" to search for one near you: https://www.nationalliteracydirectory.org/
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:40:04 PM by Rural »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!