Author Topic: We have survived the switch to generic toilet paper.  (Read 43531 times)

TRBeck

• Stubble
Re: We have survived the switch to generic toilet paper.
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2014, 01:46:04 PM »
I try to use the restroom at work such that I minimize toilet paper usage to weekends as much as possible. I consider free toilet paper to be an employment benefit.
+1. Added benefit if you do it at work you are actually getting paid to poop! why do something for free if you can get paid to do it? Maybe it is just me but it is like my body gets pretty regular and come 10 am it's time to take a break.
Absolutely. I love dropping a deuce and knowing it didn't cost me a thing.

That said, my wife is an overuser of toilet paper. I grew up with two sisters and a mom and know whereof I speak. She also likes things pretty plush. I get the cheapest stuff I can get away with, which is a store-brand Charmin knockoff. $12 for 24 double rolls. It's acceptable but not ideal.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2014, 02:06:14 PM »
I try to use the restroom at work such that I minimize toilet paper usage to weekends as much as possible. I consider free toilet paper to be an employment benefit.
+1. Added benefit if you do it at work you are actually getting paid to poop! why do something for free if you can get paid to do it? Maybe it is just me but it is like my body gets pretty regular and come 10 am it's time to take a break.

Oh hells no.  There are certain "luxuries" in life that are non-negotiable.  Privacy while pooping is one of those things.  I'll go back to using pages from the Sears catalog before I give up my privacy. lol

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »

Oh hells no.  There are certain "luxuries" in life that are non-negotiable.  Privacy while pooping is one of those things.  I'll go back to using pages from the Sears catalog before I give up my privacy. lol

I poop at work and at home.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2014, 03:23:41 PM »
Yay - another Hasher!! Figured there would be a few on this site :-)!
What was your nickname? Mine was Nine-inch-hare, use to run in Turkey...good times!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2014, 04:08:52 PM »
Yay - another Hasher!! Figured there would be a few on this site :-)!
What was your nickname? Mine was Nine-inch-hare, use to run in Turkey...good times!
well if I say "Hot Flash Hare" you'll know how old I am :-)! That wasn't really it but I always thought that would be a good one.  Can't say my nickname her because it is a bit nasty.

haha! mine is Toasty Tits. not too dirty, and easily abbreviated to "Toasty" when in polite company :)

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2014, 07:41:06 PM »
Thanks. This thread totally sucks now.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2014, 07:47:05 PM »
A little off topic, but maybe you guys can settle the score. My apologies in advance for the potential grossness discussed.

On a recent multi-day bicycle trip through the boonies with little access to regular toilets during the day...which approach do you think is grosser (for a woman, let's say)? Drop your padded bike shorts, do your thing, put shorts back on, then continue riding (note no dirty hands). OR...enter a disgusting porta-potty with questionable cleaning history, do your thing, use the cheap toilet paper, have no way to wash your hands, then go on your merry way?

I won't say which side of the argument I was on...
Number 2! um...er..I mean the second choice and bring along some small wet wipes to clean the hands, the stall seat. And if you don't have wet wipes I'd still go with number 2 because you can use the TP to wipe things down before use, and to clean up after use.

Double dang it! I guess there's no way I can win my argument...not that I'm saying I went for option #1 or anything. That would have been gross...well maybe not as gross as option #2 using a porta-potty in the boonies where people have touched the door handles with their disgusting unwashed hands...because really - how many others really ride around with a pack of wet wipes?
If I was just peeing then I'd probably pick number one (HA!) otherwise...yeah the gross port-a-potty. Not that us women ever go number 2 anyways - rainbows and butterflies are the only thing we emit from the hinny end :-)!

Yay! I finally won the argument! And yes, I am only referring to peeing. Anything more than that, and I guess I would have forced myself to use the porta-potty.

Yeah, I'm with you guys. I would always rather pee in the woods than in a super gross porta-potty or gas station bathroom. Between many years of being a geology student, camp counselor, and hash house harrier, I have peed outside so much I don't even think of it as weird anymore.

Yeah I was joking during this trip that I might start peeing outside more often since it was so much fun and easy during the bike ride. I'd actually go do the pee squat right next to one of these disgusting bathrooms and others just didn't understand. If only I could wear bike shorts all of the time with their padding, there may never be a need for toilet paper. Talk about the savings to my budget!!!

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2014, 08:52:44 PM »
3 pages of toilet paper talk and now it sucks? lol

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2014, 08:39:13 PM »
Not sure if you were talking to me about my post about the Hash House Harrier nicknames, but if so sorry if I offended. It's just a group of world-wide trail runners  that give each other goofy (and sometime nasty) nick names meant to be all in good fun. http://gotothehash.net/
Oh no not you! Sorry for the confusion, totally not offended :) i meant it towards the general nastiness of poop talk, lost my interest for sure...i thought those conversations were limited to my 9 yo lol

Overseas Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2014, 01:41:09 AM »

Haha, I have more privacy at work than at home. My 2 yr old little girl will open the door and say "Dada poopy yeah" (while clapping her hands). She refuses to poop on the toilet herself but she sure does give me tons of positive encouragement.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2014, 06:58:10 AM »

Haha, I have more privacy at work than at home. My 2 yr old little girl will open the door and say "Dada poopy yeah" (while clapping her hands). She refuses to poop on the toilet herself but she sure does give me tons of positive encouragement.

bahahahaha that is hilarious.

Numbers Man

« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2014, 10:21:33 AM »
I'm really pissed at Costco for substituting the Kirkland brand for the Charmin during my last trip.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2014, 10:39:18 AM »
I'm really pissed at Costco for substituting the Kirkland brand for the Charmin during my last trip.

You should be thanking them.  It's just as good, but at a much better value.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2014, 11:10:54 AM »

Even though I live alone, I will only rent apartments with a locking bathroom door.  I need absolute, serene privacy to do my business. :-) 

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2014, 11:11:18 AM »
I bought a Sam's Club membership (much closer to house than Costco).  I'll be comparing cost per-roll of their brands vs what I'm able to do with coupons.  Anyone have a Sam's-available favorite?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2014, 11:23:13 AM »
Even though I live alone, I will only rent apartments with a locking bathroom door.  I need absolute, serene privacy to do my business. :-)

For $10 and 10 minutes of time you could just switch out the door lock.  And if your landlord doesn't approve you can simply switch it back when you move.  Seems silly to base such a large decision on something so trivial and easily fixable.

I bought a Sam's Club membership (much closer to house than Costco).  I'll be comparing cost per-roll of their brands vs what I'm able to do with coupons.  Anyone have a Sam's-available favorite?

Is't cost per square foot a better comparison?  Not all rolls have the same square footage.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »

For $10 and 10 minutes of time you could just switch out the door lock.  And if your landlord doesn't approve you can simply switch it back when you move.  Seems silly to base such a large decision on something so trivial and easily fixable.

Is't cost per square foot a better comparison?  Not all rolls have the same square footage.

I did this once with an eye bolt and latch early on and the landlord had a fit for a hole in the "custom" moudling and charged me $50 on move-out.  Now, to be serious, this item is like two dozen check boxes down the list. :-)

If I'm feeling all mathematical, I'll do a cost per square foot.  One of my coupon websites already has that charted out for most major brands.  Scott 1000 always wins but you could refinish a hard wood floor with it.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2014, 02:17:46 PM »

Cost per roll is a bad comparison measure because rolls vary in size pretty widely. Cost per square foot is a better metric, but honestly, I don't use TP by the square foot. I use it by the square (sheet?)-- so the cost per square is the price I base my comparisons on. It's a trickier calculation, but I think it's much more reflective of actual usage costs.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2014, 02:47:37 PM »

Cost per roll is a bad comparison measure because rolls vary in size pretty widely. Cost per square foot is a better metric, but honestly, I don't use TP by the square foot. I use it by the square (sheet?)-- so the cost per square is the price I base my comparisons on. It's a trickier calculation, but I think it's much more reflective of actual usage costs.

True.

I also buy flushable baby wipes from costco.  Not really part of the discussion, just throwing it out there.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2014, 07:59:24 PM »

Not all squares are created the same.

Less plush toilet paper requires a little more squares per use...just saying.

You might want to calculate how much toilet paper you actually go through in a week and compare that way.

I can't believe I just typed that out. I surely won't be doing this comparison as toilet paper is such a small part of my budget and I am not about to count squares. Have fun with that.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2014, 07:02:48 AM »
Not worth it.  Gross!!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2014, 07:39:04 AM »

Not all squares are created the same.

Less plush toilet paper requires a little more squares per use...just saying.

You might want to calculate how much toilet paper you actually go through in a week and compare that way.

I can't believe I just typed that out. I surely won't be doing this comparison as toilet paper is such a small part of my budget and I am not about to count squares. Have fun with that.

I don't know if a week is long enough to get an accurate number.  I mean what if that particular week includes two mexican nights? That will surely skew the results.

FarmerPete

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2014, 09:11:36 AM »
I'm certainly a work pooper and pee'er.  I figure that even without the TP, each flush of the toilet costs $0.01-$0.02, so if I make sure I do my #1 before I leave work, I can save a buck or two a year.  Anyone ever considered getting a commercial TP roll holder in their home?  I have to think that buying those 1000 ft rolls has to save money vs the residential ones.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2014, 09:36:18 AM »
I have a 45 min commute and an older female bladder. Ergo I go before I go. :-)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2014, 09:39:57 AM »
I'm certainly a work pooper and pee'er.  I figure that even without the TP, each flush of the toilet costs $0.01-$0.02, so if I make sure I do my #1 before I leave work, I can save a buck or two a year.  Anyone ever considered getting a commercial TP roll holder in their home?  I have to think that buying those 1000 ft rolls has to save money vs the residential ones.

I have never encountered a large industrial roll of TP that I would consider using for home use.  Also I already buy my TP in bulk, and I can't imagine using the same amount of TP to make one giant roll is much more cost effective than using it to make 30 home sized rolls.  Maybe slightly because you have to use more cardboard rolls, but i'm already buying the actual TP in bulk.

FarmerPete

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2014, 11:33:44 AM »
I'll have to do some sqft calculations the next time I'm at Sams or GFS.  I'm sure there is a commercial supplier that is cheaper than them though.  Hmmm.  I wish we had a restaurant depot in my town.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2014, 08:29:59 AM »

Anecdotally, my family went through Sam's club brand three times faster than Kirkland brand. YMMV. But Member's Mark is much softer for those with delicate behinds.

I wish I could get away with one-ply, but my husband hates it. I might stock the bathroom the kids poop in with it, since they use tons and tons. Now I'm nervous about future plumber visits.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2014, 09:23:52 AM »

Anecdotally, my family went through Sam's club brand three times faster than Kirkland brand. YMMV. But Member's Mark is much softer for those with delicate behinds.

I wish I could get away with one-ply, but my husband hates it. I might stock the bathroom the kids poop in with it, since they use tons and tons. Now I'm nervous about future plumber visits.

My mom did the same thing growing up to get us to cut back on how much TP we used - she just never switched back.  I'll never use one ply Scott again.  When I visit for the holidays, I restock her bathroom with better stuff. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!