Author Topic: Washer is out, dryer is fine  (Read 6968 times)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
Washer is out, dryer is fine
« on: August 05, 2015, 07:37:24 PM »
We have stacking base model kenmore front loading washing machine and dryer, 11 years old. Well the washer broke late last week. Estimated 800 to fix it, and even the repairman recommended we just replace. Dryer (matching kenmore dryer) is still fine. Unfortunately they don't stock that model anymore, not even in outlet store. Went to look at washers, and were told by salesman we couldn't just buy the washer, we had to buy the matching dryer, because they are stacking, and unless made for each other, the vibrations might make the other fall, etc.
We measured and for their current base model, the width is almost the same (within a quarter inch) or even the same size depending how they measure, but unfortunately it looks like the matching dryers for both models we were looking at, the "matching" dryer's depth is bigger.

Is there a way for us to continue to use our old dryer, or should we just try to sell on craigslist and resign ourselves to replacing both? 

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
Re: Washer is out, dryer is fine
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 07:40:23 PM »
Check craigslist and used appliance places first to see if you can't find a working washer of your same model. In our town of half a million I can think of 3 locations that sell used appliances.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 08:30:41 PM »
We called a couple places. Basically the washer is so old finding that particular model would be remote. Looked on craigslist too.
Ugh too many choices. We could find a deal on washer dryers on Craigslist, but again we would need to move them, and don't have an easy way of doing that.
Almost leaning on just getting a new set so I don't have to hand wash clothes for another weekend.

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 12:46:43 AM »
Of course they're going to tell you to buy both! Your money, your choice, but I wouldn't believe much that the consumer goods industry tells me.

If you think there is a risk that the top one will fall off, then strap it to the wall!

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 02:38:56 AM »
1. Call another repair place.

2. You can always buy just the washer and see how stable the existing dryer is before committing to buying a new dryer as well.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 03:20:08 AM »
If you keep the vents and hoses clean, dryers tend to last a lot longer than washers. I did a quick search, and GE sells stackable washers and dryers separately.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 06:21:49 AM »
update (after spending way too much time on internets). I normally like to really research my purchases, but I'd prefer to get this resolved. We are down to: buying their lowest end washer, which is the same width wise, but will be 2 inches deeper than what our current model is. According the the web and the service manuals I kept, there is a metal plate that fixes the two items together. One can redrill the holes for the dryer to (hopefully) connect them together. Only thing is is a very confined space, to do all that and make all the reconnections (dryer vent, etc).
If Sears delivers just the washer they will NOT stack the washer on top. So hubby would need to find someone else who is strong to help stack it and help with the plate attachment process.
Main downsides, is actually this particular model, gets poor feedback on Sears. Essentially it doesn't clean the clothes.
Craigslist has a couple almost brand new washer dryers, but again issue with transport.

Option B is to suck it up, be a sucka consumer and buy new both, and sell old dryer. Biggest plus to me is free delivery and installation. Also the model that I'm eying the dryer has steam dry, which means I won't need to iron (which is compelling to me; I do all the laundry and have alot of cotton and linen pieces).
 We do have a 10% off coupon due to the service call, and they do have a sale until this Sat. and I do have their card so won't have to pay for 12 months if I so choose.
I also have a friend who is rehabbing her house, so can either sell, or if she wants it it may end up being a housewarming present : )

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 06:31:31 AM »
update (after spending way too much time on internets). I normally like to really research my purchases, but I'd prefer to get this resolved. We are down to: buying their lowest end washer, which is the same width wise, but will be 2 inches deeper than what our current model is. According the the web and the service manuals I kept, there is a metal plate that fixes the two items together. One can redrill the holes for the dryer to (hopefully) connect them together. Only thing is is a very confined space, to do all that and make all the reconnections (dryer vent, etc).
If Sears delivers just the washer they will NOT stack the washer on top. So hubby would need to find someone else who is strong to help stack it and help with the plate attachment process.
Main downsides, is actually this particular model, gets poor feedback on Sears. Essentially it doesn't clean the clothes.
Craigslist has a couple almost brand new washer dryers, but again issue with transport.

Option B is to suck it up, be a sucka consumer and buy new both, and sell old dryer. Biggest plus to me is free delivery and installation. Also the model that I'm eying the dryer has steam dry, which means I won't need to iron (which is compelling to me; I do all the laundry and have alot of cotton and linen pieces).
 We do have a 10% off coupon due to the service call, and they do have a sale until this Sat. and I do have their card so won't have to pay for 12 months if I so choose.
I also have a friend who is rehabbing her house, so can either sell, or if she wants it it may end up being a housewarming present : )

I'm a big fan of scratch and dent stores. There's one in the Cities here that basically screams we get our stuff from Home Depot, so it makes it easy to compare if you're actually getting a good deal/find reviews, etc. We bought washer/dryer from them on a clearance day last spring for $600. Pushed the side with the giant scratch up against the wall and no one is the wiser.

And yeah, definitely sell the working dryer.

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 09:21:38 AM »
Option 3.   Ditch the dryer completely.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 09:40:41 AM »
Space is limited? Otherwise the ideal solution would be to unhook the washer, get rid of it, and then buy a separate used washer and just put it next to the dryer rather on top.

You could also build your own Washer mount using wood/metal/whatever, although that would take some DIY knowhow and some time. Also, did the repairman say what was wrong with the washer? Its possible you could fix it yourself for much less than $800. My old washer stopped working, but the problem was just the lid sensor, so I took the top off, removed the sensor, connected some wires and voila! The washer was working again, although it always thought the lid the closed regardless of reality.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 10:20:25 AM »
What's broken on the washer? Pump, belt, motor? Just Google the part number (it will be stamped on the part), or even the part name and model number of the washer, buy the part from cheapest reputable source (probably under $200, maybe way under), and replace it yourself.

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 11:09:43 AM »
What's broken on the washer? Pump, belt, motor? Just Google the part number (it will be stamped on the part), or even the part name and model number of the washer, buy the part from cheapest reputable source (probably under $200, maybe way under), and replace it yourself.

+1. I'm not a particularly handy person, but in the 15 years that we have owned our washer, I have had two parts break and was able to replace them myself. The hardest part was figuring out how to remove the outer shell and making sure I could put it back properly.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 11:14:06 AM »

Make that +2. I actually just fixed our front load washer yesterday. There are a ton of guides online how to fix both the simple and complex parts of these yourself. No reason to waste the money on something new unless parts actually will cost more than replacing. Sometimes that happens but rarely on large appliances.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 11:45:31 AM »

I like this one.  Of course it will then be on you to run and secure an inside or outside line and source a way to fasten damp clothing to it.  If you are up to the technical challenge I'd go for it.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 12:49:04 PM »
Yeah, what's the worst that could happen if you try to fix it more? It's already broken. Just make sure to unplug it before you start (electrocution is probably the worst that could happen ;) )

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 01:27:42 PM »
I'm at work, but it was a long laundry list of parts that would need to be replaced. If I have time I'll post when at home.
The majority or at least half of the cost would be the parts that would need to be replaced.
there is no way I would trust me or my husband to do this repair. OTOH, possibly having it repaired professionally (at $800) would be cheapest at this time? 

And whoever said the parts are probably cheaper than replacing? Hmm. Our $450 stove needed part of its front door replaced. $150 just for that part (we did it ourselves).

Unlike others have had here, we have had horrible luck the last few years, repairing existing items, or buying new/used items which ended up breaking shortly afterwards. So I am a bit paranoid at this point. I hate throwing things in the landfill though.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 01:38:07 PM by partgypsy »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 01:34:24 PM »

I like this one.  Of course it will then be on you to run and secure an inside or outside line and source a way to fasten damp clothing to it.  If you are up to the technical challenge I'd go for it.

LOL In the Midwest when I was growing up, even though my Mom had a dryer, she would dry most things on the line especially sheets. College, same thing. I try it here and with the humidity it takes a long time, and can smell - musty. So I'm not going to give up my dryer. I do still air dry some things I can dry indoors, or if the weather has a bit of a breeze then it's a go too. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 06:32:18 AM »
Well doing the consumer thing of buying new both, and selling old dryer.
In case anyone was interested, this was the breakdown to fix the washer. The repairman did note that even though parts will be replaced, the rest of the washer is old and could not guarantee how long it would go without other problems.

Parts required - collect: 1 sublock 100.55, 1 subshock absorb 59.46, 1 gasket 33.08, 1 subsub shell-bearing 315.53, total parts with tax 546.78. Parts required policy transfer 1 basket 437, with tax =470.  Estimated total labor 258. estimated grand total 1274.96, estimated customer total 804.78 (with coupon).
 Don't ask me what parts required-collect, and parts required policy transfer mean.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 07:41:29 AM »
Did you get a second opinion? I find it hard to believe that you have to replace the entire assembly just to fix a bad bearing. Have you at least disassembled it yourself to see if you can get at that bearing?

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 08:08:45 AM »
No. I'm not handy that way, unfortunately neither is my husband (he killed his first vehicle because he didn't change the oil - ever).
I guess I could post it on the MMM trading post to see if anyone else wants to give it a go?

Discouraged about financial progress. We have an additional 13.2K we need to raise this year to pay for our kid's specialized schooling. This is going to be a stretch for us so additional expenses are a no go. Just in past two weeks have had $500 auto repair, will have 1K termite treatment on house, and oldest started on braces. And now bought $1800 worth of washers and dryers. This includes a 5 year plan on the washer because honestly at this point I'd rather pay the extra $300 now than to pay for repairs or replace out of pocket the washer (and dryer!) for the next 5 years.

Interesting the salesman said that the most likely thing to fail, is the electronic panel. I don't know if anyone's seen a new washer, but in addition to a couple of big knobs, there are all these button settings for a whole variety of (unnecessary) selections.

I wonder if there is a market for appliances that are built more simply (back to knobs/mechanical versus electronic controls) so they are less likely to break, easier to repair, and are built solidly so last a long time. Like VWs, plans and instructions to repair would be on the web. I would call the brand "bulletproof". They would appeal to mustachians, landlords that don't want to be constantly replacing/repairing applicances, people on fixed incomes, and me! Call me a luddite, I don't care. 

On the plus side to replacing, our washer and dryer were undersized for a family of 4. The washer would be jammed from a single set of queen sized sheets. I upped the volume of the washer and dryer so I will need to do fewer loads and hopefully they will come out less wrinkled. and both machines are about 50% more efficient than the ones they are replacing (less electricity).

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:13:43 AM by partgypsy »

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 08:14:53 AM »
I'm pretty sure you're nowhere near me or I might take a look at it.

If you're looking for a cheaper "long-term" idea, next time you replace try Craigslist. I got a year-old set for $250 a couple of years ago. When that breaks down and costs too much to repair, I'll get another lightly used set from somebody desperate to sell.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 10:50:29 AM »
Don't buy a washer that has poor reviews that say it doesn't get the clothes clean. You'll regret it.

Find something suitable on Craigs list or at the Sears outlet store. Call a moving company if you have to, to pick it up if it is a good find on CL - most will do it for around $50, it is a one time expense and if you got a good deal on your w/d it is a reasonable expense. Around here we have plenty of enterprising old boys who will do a run for you with their big ole pick-up and place it where you want it to. Installation - well, there is always you tube.

We live in Florida and don't own a dryer - I've had plenty of people who were surprised to hear that and feel sorry that we couldn't afford one. Well, we could, but honestly I don't need one. I line dry for free, it smells fresh from the garden, I save on dryer sheets and a fair amount of electricity every month, plus I can use the space where the dryer goes for storage.
My washer was rather un-MMMish, because it has the European feature where you can actually boil-sanitize your clothes, bed sheets and that handwash cycle I really wanted.

If I lived in a cold climate I would insist on a dryer, but here I don't miss not having one.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 11:58:07 AM »
I found a couple possibilities in craigslist but they still weren't cheap (either 600 or 1300) plus we would have needed to get transpo, plus purchase the right plate to attach, etc. I fully admit we were a wimp about this (paying for luxury of free delivery, setup, haul away), but hell I'm out of clean towels.  I think craigslist is def viable if a) you have transportation, and b) don't have to be particular about getting a stacking/matching set.

I have line dried my clothes before, but our backyard is too shady and humid for it to work now, plus the clothes would get dirty from pollen, bird poop, and to be honest, just didn't like the results. One good thing is that both old and new washer are front loader washers. When they work properly they wring out the clothes very well, so you do not need to use dryer very long at all. We are frugal in other areas (do not own a dishwasher, 1 used car so our fuel costs are around $40 a month) but as I'm the laundry master it needs to work for me.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 01:03:04 PM »
Short-term:  Laundromat.

Longer-term:  CraigsList.  (Check for sale by owner & dealer).
I bought a used Maytag stackable washer/dryer for $100.  After 4 months the pump went out, but that was a $60 part on-line, an internet search on how to replace, and a GREAT learning experience - now works like a champ.  In the interim, I bought a $25 NON-WORKING stackable washer w/GAS DRYER, and sold it for $100.  My son, a mini-van and a hand truck and a tiny bit of moxey were all it took.

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2015, 02:18:54 PM »
We live in Florida and don't own a dryer...If I lived in a cold climate I would insist on a dryer, but here I don't miss not having one.

Lol! I must be at least 27degrees further north and we manage without one too!  I'm willing to believe the hot & humid climate argument,  but wet and cold is not a problem!