Author Topic: Want 1080p from antenna - Coax to HDMI converter  (Read 7118 times)

SpacemanSpiff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Want 1080p from antenna - Coax to HDMI converter
« on: December 07, 2014, 06:47:13 PM »
So I have an antenna hooked up to my HDMI TV, but the TV cannot recognize the digital signal.  (I verified that the issue is with TV and not the signal by hooking the coax cable from the antenna up to a different TV, which was able to read the digital signal)  Is there a simple converter that can be purchased for TVs like that cannot read the digital signal, or do I need a box of some sort that will create a readable HDMI signal?

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
Re: Want 1080p from antenna - Coax to HDMI converter
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 06:57:09 PM »
When the conversion was made from analog to digital transmission, the government gave away those converters (or may have charged a token amount).

You may be able to find those on the web. Do a google search on "digital to analog TV converter"

They seem be be $20 to $30 in price.

SpacemanSpiff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 09:05:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply. 

I have one of those now, but it isn't an HD output - just component.  When I try to search on google shopping, new egg, and amazon, the results all seem to point to various VGA, component, or RCA converter items.  Are there versions of this that have an HDMI output?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 09:09:41 PM »
FYI, over the air TV broadcasts are not in 1080p. They are either 720p or 1080i.

What's the model of the TV? You're describing a TV that has a HDMI input, which usually implies it has a ATSC tuner, which can receive digital over the air broadcasts. I'm sure there may exist exceptions. If you give me the model number I can probably help you more.

Shade00

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 09:13:59 PM »
FYI, over the air TV broadcasts are not in 1080p. They are either 720p or 1080i.

What's the model of the TV? You're describing a TV that has a HDMI input, which usually implies it has a ATSC tuner, which can receive digital over the air broadcasts. I'm sure there may exist exceptions. If you give me the model number I can probably help you more.

Agree - the TV's built-in tuner may already be capable of what OP is asking.

If not, you'll need an ATSC tuner box. Here's a pretty good little box available at Amazon that also acts as a DVR - http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW-150PVR-HomeWorx-Converter-Recording/dp/B00I2ZBD1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418011747&sr=8-1

SpacemanSpiff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 10:17:09 AM »

The TV is a Toshiba 40SL412U (Here is a link - http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-40SL412U-40-Inch-1080p-LED-LCD/dp/B004MFBH8S).

SpacemanSpiff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 10:31:48 AM »
Agree - the TV's built-in tuner may already be capable of what OP is asking.

If not, you'll need an ATSC tuner box. Here's a pretty good little box available at Amazon that also acts as a DVR - http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW-150PVR-HomeWorx-Converter-Recording/dp/B00I2ZBD1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418011747&sr=8-1

Right now I have the following box hooked up to the TV - we had it out at our cabin so the old TV out there could get a few channels: http://www.amazon.com/Rca-Stb7766C-Digital-Analog-Converter/dp/B008S1CMAE.

From looking at the link you provided, it looks like the tuner box you linked is similar to what I have, but has HDMI output as well as DVR capabilities?  Or am I misreading it?  Sometimes I don't know if I am stating the obvious with technology or completely missing the boat haha.

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 10:44:49 AM »

The TV is a Toshiba 40SL412U (Here is a link - http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-40SL412U-40-Inch-1080p-LED-LCD/dp/B004MFBH8S).

The specs of the TV you linked show that it has a digital ATSC tuner. Therefore it should be able to tune channels received via coax from an antenna just fine without needing any sort of intermediate box or adapter. Are you sure you told the TV that the coax input is an antenna, and not cable? That may make a difference.

SpacemanSpiff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 11:18:33 AM »

The specs of the TV you linked show that it has a digital ATSC tuner. Therefore it should be able to tune channels received via coax from an antenna just fine without needing any sort of intermediate box or adapter. Are you sure you told the TV that the coax input is an antenna, and not cable? That may make a difference.

I'm pretty sure.  I put an antenna in the attic then connected it to the tv via one long black cable with ends that look like this: http://blog.room34.com/wp-content/uploads/underdog/coax-w-f-connector-200x200.jpg.  That didn't work so I brought in the RCA box I mentioned a few posts ago.

Runge

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 12:19:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure.  I put an antenna in the attic then connected it to the tv via one long black cable with ends that look like this: http://blog.room34.com/wp-content/uploads/underdog/coax-w-f-connector-200x200.jpg.  That didn't work so I brought in the RCA box I mentioned a few posts ago.

Check to makee sure the TV knows it's an antenna input. There might be a setting somewhere that you need to change. Then run a scan.

easton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 01:33:44 PM »
Go into the menu on your tv. There will be a section for channels. Make sure it's set to antenna and not cable. Then do the automatic scan for channels and it will pick up any available over the air channel you can get. Make sure your antenna is hooked up while you do this.

SpacemanSpiff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 02:44:03 PM »
Sorry for the long response - haven't been on the computer too much around the holidays -trying to unplug :).

Thanks for the help! I was able to find an option in the menu to set to antenna, and I now have tv in HD.   Huzzah!

I am still considering getting the DVR box since I do like to watch some football games that I am not always home for (as well as a few other shows/events).  On that note, I did have a question about the box recommended by Shade00:

From what I can tell on the link provided, I would need to obtain my own USB stick for storage of any recorded programs, which leads me to 2 further questions:
1) Would I be able to purchase pretty much any USB flash drive and plug it in to serve as the memory for the box?
2) What range of memory should I look for?  One of the comments mentioned that an hour long show was ~5Gb, so I was thinking this 64Gb flash drive for $25 might be a good idea. (http://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Firma-Aluminium-SP064GBUF2F80V1S/dp/B00A35X1BM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420493319&sr=8-2&keywords=80+gb+flash+drive)

Thanks again in advance!!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 03:05:46 PM »
I am still considering getting the DVR box since I do like to watch some football games that I am not always home for (as well as a few other shows/events).  On that note, I did have a question about the box recommended by Shade00:

From what I can tell on the link provided, I would need to obtain my own USB stick for storage of any recorded programs, which leads me to 2 further questions:
1) Would I be able to purchase pretty much any USB flash drive and plug it in to serve as the memory for the box?
2) What range of memory should I look for?  One of the comments mentioned that an hour long show was ~5Gb, so I was thinking this 64Gb flash drive for $25 might be a good idea. (http://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Firma-Aluminium-SP064GBUF2F80V1S/dp/B00A35X1BM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420493319&sr=8-2&keywords=80+gb+flash+drive)

Don't get a USB flash drive, get a USB mechanical hard drive. It's much cheaper on a per-capacity basis and fast enough. I'd suggest getting at least half a terabyte (or whatever size drive currently has the lowest $/GB).

SpacemanSpiff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 08:11:58 AM »
Don't get a USB flash drive, get a USB mechanical hard drive. It's much cheaper on a per-capacity basis and fast enough. I'd suggest getting at least half a terabyte (or whatever size drive currently has the lowest $/GB).

I guess my thinking was that I would essentially be only using it for recording a single episode or game and then erasing it after I watch it, so why bother getting all the extra space.  Additionally, with a flash drive, one wouldn't have to worry about turning the storage device on and off each time you want to record something.

Do such mechanical USB hard drives also need to be plugged in and turned on all the time when in use or are they to the point where they can be powerded by the USB connection?  I have a 1TB external that needs to be plugged into a power outlet seperately, but it's about 6 years old at this point, so I wasn't sure if I'm going off of old information with this.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 08:46:01 AM »

I guess my thinking was that I would essentially be only using it for recording a single episode or game and then erasing it after I watch it, so why bother getting all the extra space.  Additionally, with a flash drive, one wouldn't have to worry about turning the storage device on and off each time you want to record something.

Do such mechanical USB hard drives also need to be plugged in and turned on all the time when in use or are they to the point where they can be powerded by the USB connection?  I have a 1TB external that needs to be plugged into a power outlet seperately, but it's about 6 years old at this point, so I wasn't sure if I'm going off of old information with this.

If it's worth the expense and effort to set up a DVR at all, then chances are you're going to use it enough to be worth getting more than 64 gb capacity.

Conversely, if you want to record so few things that they'll fit comfortably on cheap flash media, I suggest just skipping the DVR entirely because you're (literally) not missing much.

As for whether the drive needs to be plugged in separately, in general, desktop (3.5") drives need separate power while laptop (2.5") drives should be able to run directly off USB. However, some 2.5" drives may need to be plugged into 2 USB ports to get enough amps, or the DVR itself might not be able to supply as many amps as the USB spec says it should. To be safe, you should expect to plug in the drive separately, but hopefully the DVR/drive would support spinning down the disk when it's not being used to save power.

(Alternatively, I'm sure you could find a DVR where you install an internal HD. Then you can be sure it won't require separate power.)

Is there anything important stored on your 6-year-old 1TB external hard drive? If so, then one option you might consider would be buying a new external drive, moving your important stuff to it, then using the old drive with the DVR. That way, when it dies you won't have lost anything important.