Author Topic: Vancouver - seeking recommendations for frugal activities  (Read 2059 times)

annamal instinct

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Vancouver - seeking recommendations for frugal activities
« on: November 05, 2018, 10:00:10 AM »
My partner and I are going to Point Roberts, just south of Vancouver, in about a month to celebrate our 10th anniversary (child free!!!!). We mostly plan to stay put, go for long walks, and read a lot, but we want to do a couple day trips to Vancouver. Any recommendations for frugal things to see/do there to get a sense of the city?

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Vancouver - seeking recommendations for frugal activities
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 11:07:10 AM »
Rent bikes and bike around Stanley Park. Can pack a picnic lunch. It's wonderful.

Depending on how fit you are, you can hike up Grouse Mountain and do the same (instead of paying for the gondola - you used to be able to ride it down for free).

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 12:29:53 PM »
Rent bikes and bike around Stanley Park. Can pack a picnic lunch. It's wonderful.

Depending on how fit you are, you can hike up Grouse Mountain and do the same (instead of paying for the gondola - you used to be able to ride it down for free).
I second the grouse mountain -- even if you pay the passenger rate to get to the top, the value on a semi-clear day is definitely there.  Pack a lunch or have a drink at the bar with the great view.  Take Transit to get there to avoid paying gas, parking.     You could make a day trip of it, and stop off mid-way on the skytrain for some ethnic foods (Richmond Chinese food, for example). 

The skytrain / sea bus is a nice view and a way to go for a tourist.  Check out granville island or walk around downtown to look at the art galleries, there are several excellent ones.

Fish and Chips in White Rock.
Rent kayaks in Ladner for a half day.

There may be some winery / farm tour activities still open, but I don't know which ones are seasonal.
There are a couple of heritage farmhouse places to visit, not too far, if you are into history (Surrey / Delta).  Or even the Burnaby Village Museum.

My teenage son would strongly recommend the indoor go karts in Richmond.   Not "free", but I don't know your budget.

MrsPB

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 05:19:01 PM »
Another vote here for seabus and skytrain, as well as Granville Island.
If you are more outdoorsy, then check out the Lynn Canyon suspension bridge in North Vancouver...it’s free and a lovely area to do short hikes too (I think transit will take you there).

For those mentioning Grouse, the trail may well be closed by then due to trail conditions/snow/ice at top.

Stanley Park is lovely too, as already mentioned, and centrally located. Walk the seawall (around 10km if you go all the way around) or rent bikes in the West End :)

It may be a bit wet in early December though...be warned! Stanley Park might have it’s Christmas lights display at that time. I think there’s a fee but likely not too much.

Also lots of good and cheap sushi everywhere if you like that.

Finally, since you like books, the Vancouver library is a neat building and walking distance from downtown.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 09:34:13 PM »
Are you plant geeks by any chance? If so, check out some of these cool living walls as part of a Vancouver walking tour:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gsky+living+walls+in+vancouver&qpvt=gsky+living+walls+invancouver&FORM=IGRE

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 12:39:42 PM »
Another vote here for seabus and skytrain, as well as Granville Island.

For those mentioning Grouse, the trail may well be closed by then due to trail conditions/snow/ice at top.

Ah you are right, missed that detail. It'll be ski season!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 02:14:02 PM »
Ah, but you can still go up as a walk on during ski season, and there are a LOT of activities at the top including just walking around.

annamal instinct

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 04:28:54 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! They sound wonderful. I am a plant geek for sure, so the living wall is a must-see. I'll try to remember to report back on what we end up doing!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 04:47:04 PM »
We used to do winter hikes around Buntzen Lake. It’s free and lovely.