Author Topic: Used Phones?  (Read 1750 times)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Used Phones?
« on: September 18, 2018, 11:14:16 AM »
For the last two years, my employer has provided my cell phone and paid for the plan.

Now, I am transitioning jobs and will be reimbursed for my phone bill, but I still have to purchase a new phone.

(Facepunch Incoming) I would like to get an iPhone, preferably an iPhone 8.

What is the most sensible way to do this? I currently do not have a phone number that I can transfer over. I was looking into Straight Talk Wireless ($45/10gb) but it looks like you have to port an existing number. I’d rather not commit to a contract just in case my job does not work out, but if there is a deal out there I wouldn’t be completely averse if it makes financial sense.

I haven’t ever really had to deal with this, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: Used Phones?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 12:28:49 PM »
What would an iPhone 8 do that an iPhone 7 wouldn't?  What would an iPhone 8 do that an SE wouldn't?  All run the current version of iOS that was released yesterday.  An SE can be found for $100-150 used (probably less soon since it was just discontinued) and $29 at the Apple store before the end of the year gets it a fresh battery good for at least two years.

I have a 7 with a broken home button ($319 to replace the button and impossible to DIY, thanks Apple) and I'm probably going to replace it before the end of the year with a battery-refreshed SE.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 12:39:30 PM »
What would an iPhone 8 do that an iPhone 7 wouldn't?  What would an iPhone 8 do that an SE wouldn't?  All run the current version of iOS that was released yesterday.  An SE can be found for $100-150 used (probably less soon since it was just discontinued) and $29 at the Apple store before the end of the year gets it a fresh battery good for at least two years.

I have a 7 with a broken home button ($319 to replace the button and impossible to DIY, thanks Apple) and I'm probably going to replace it before the end of the year with a battery-refreshed SE.

My wife is about ready to upgrade from her 5c that we bought used 3.5 years ago. My 5s that we bought used at the same time is still going strong. I was thinking we should go with a 7 with the thinking that since Apple is still selling it that might mean we can expect to get more life out of it before it stops being updated to the current iOS. Sounds like you're not concerned with that and are thinking of going with the SE anyway?

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 01:03:21 PM »
It looks like a reasonable iPhone 7 would go for $320-400 on eBay. The 8 bumps that to about $600! Oof. Don't let a raise with a new employer inflate your lifestyle :)

My reverse chronological order of used phones is this:
Pixel 2 XL - for spouse (Retail $850, eBay $470)
Nexus 6P (Retail $550, eBay $290)
Nexus 6 (Retail $650, eBay $425)

Every time, the condition has been damn close to new. (Read the description, check the seller, view the photos.)

Personally I recommend Consumer Cellular for all but the heaviest of mobile data users. They use AT&T and T-Mobile networks, so you have excellent signal damn near everywhere, and the prices are really good. The customer service is excellent, and they just bump you to a $10 higher plan if you really need more data for some reason. (You can bump yourself back down the following month.) MvR and I share a plan and pay $62/month all in.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 01:11:28 PM »
I have an iPhone SE and love it.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 01:20:38 PM »

My wife is about ready to upgrade from her 5c that we bought used 3.5 years ago. My 5s that we bought used at the same time is still going strong. I was thinking we should go with a 7 with the thinking that since Apple is still selling it that might mean we can expect to get more life out of it before it stops being updated to the current iOS. Sounds like you're not concerned with that and are thinking of going with the SE anyway?
Historically, Apple supports their phones with iOS updates for about 2-3 years after discontinuing them (5S is still supported and that was discontinued in March of 2016, so if iOS 13 doesn't support it, that's 3.5 years after discontinuation that support ends).  The SE was discontinued last week.  If I can get 2-3 years out of a ~$150 phone, I'll be fine with that.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:26:10 PM by ketchup »

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 01:24:46 PM »
Apple will sell you a refurbished iPhone 7 for $379 and up.  They have a new battery, new outer shell, and a 1 year warranty. 

I use Red Pocket. They offer GSM and CDMA plans, but if your employer is paying, they may have a preference (and a discount).

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 01:27:35 PM »
Apple will sell you a refurbished iPhone 7 for $379 and up.  They have a new battery, new outer shell, and a 1 year warranty. 

I use Red Pocket. They offer GSM and CDMA plans, but if your employer is paying, they may have a preference (and a discount).
Awesome.  It's only $60 more to get a refurb 7 straight from Apple than it costs to replace the home button on my existing device.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 01:42:40 PM »
I'm also rockin' (and am rather fond of) an iPhone SE. I run mine on Ting (https://ting.com), and spend between $23 and $35 depending on the month. Ting is a MVNO on both Sprint and T-Mobile networks—so you can pick which has better coverage in your area.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 04:47:24 AM »
I bought my last phone from a seller on eBay that seemed to on-sell phones (through one of those phone buyback sites). Aside from needing a new battery after six months the phone has been fine.

Although that's where the poor resale value of Android devices comes in handy. :)

For iPhones, it might even be worth doing the maths on a new one if going used isn't much less, especially if carriers are doing deals to clear out stock of the 8.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!