Author Topic: Updating headlights on older Prius?  (Read 1761 times)

better late

• Bristles
Updating headlights on older Prius?
« on: January 09, 2020, 09:09:04 AM »
I have a 2008 Prius that is still going strong, but I am noticing that as the car gets older (and I get older) the headlights don't illuminate the road and surroundings very well.  I am not a car person at all but imagine there must be a way to brighten them up.  I tried to google this and was immediately confused by the assumption of a knowledge base that I don't have (halogen, LED, capsules, Xenon).  I'd appreciate suggestions on what to do/buy.

BurtMacklin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Updating headlights on older Prius?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 09:21:44 AM »
Buy a headlight restoration kit and follow the directions. It'll be less than $20 and they work great. The UV coating needs to be restored.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 09:25:56 AM »
Are the headlamp lenses cloudy and yellow-ish? If so, that's something that can be polished out and re-done at a few various body shops in your area for around $100-200. You can DIY as well, but it takes a lot of patience and skill to do it right without making it worse and potentially having to replace the entire headlight unit proper. (Ask me how I know this!) Better to pay a pro with experience the extra money to ensure good results, and then just stay on top of keeping the lenses regularly coated with Meguiar's Headlight Coating as a sacrificial UV/oxidation layer to keep it from happening again.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 09:32:12 AM »
I believe the 2008 Prius had HID headlights.  I recently learned that HID bulbs degrade significantly with age, which I discovered when I bought a used 2017 Bolt and nearly immediately noticed the headlights were flickering and occasionally turning off.  When they did manage to stay on, they were far dimmer than I would've expected from any modern car.  I replaced both HID bulbs and now the lights are bright and flicker-free as I would expect.

Assuming it's not something you have done yet, I would start by replacing the HID bulbs.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 10:09:22 AM »
Replacing the bulbs and cleaning/restoring the glass would be my first attempts. I highly recommend watching this video on headlight upgrades:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ7nqrRv7Ww

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 07:51:52 AM »
Replacing the bulbs and cleaning/restoring the glass would be my first attempts. I highly recommend watching this video on headlight upgrades:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ7nqrRv7Ww

Wow. That was extremely informative. I had no idea.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 07:53:14 AM »
Are the headlamp lenses cloudy and yellow-ish? If so, that's something that can be polished out and re-done at a few various body shops in your area for around $100-200. You can DIY as well, but it takes a lot of patience and skill to do it right without making it worse and potentially having to replace the entire headlight unit proper. (Ask me how I know this!) Better to pay a pro with experience the extra money to ensure good results, and then just stay on top of keeping the lenses regularly coated with Meguiar's Headlight Coating as a sacrificial UV/oxidation layer to keep it from happening again.

Just a little cloudy. I'll try to polish them myself but won't take it too far. And good to know about the headlight coating. I ddin't know they made that type of product.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 07:54:04 AM »
Looks like I'll start with the polishing up the glass and then maybe changing out the bulb if I still think it needs improving.  Thanks all

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 12:44:51 PM »
The brightness jump from going to new bulbs in my car was astonishing, and it's a 2017 with 58k miles on it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!