Author Topic: Trunk mount bike rack - 3,000 mile drive  (Read 4539 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Trunk mount bike rack - 3,000 mile drive
« on: January 28, 2015, 11:14:46 AM »
We are going to be taking off for a long road trip and were considering taking our bikes along, but the only way we can transport them is with a trunk mount bike rack.  I'm apprehensive about using it for such a long distance, but on the other hand this is what it is designed for.   Good idea, bad idea? Anything i'm not considering?

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
Re: Trunk mount bike rack - 3,000 mile drive
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 11:33:45 AM »
I've done it for several long-distance hauls. Just drive carefully and cautiously (a good idea regardless of a bike mount). Check with your home/auto insurance about coverage if you have an accident or theft.

The more tightly you can cinch the bikes to the rack, the better - I always use several bungee cords and some tie-down straps for extra piece of mind. Basically, if you try to shake the bikes, the car should be moving as well. Detach any accessories that might fly off (lights, saddle bag, water bottle, etc). Tie a red flag or other obvious marker to the bikes for extra visibility. People should be giving you extra space if they see the bikes, but just in case.

Lastly, I recommend locking everything together with U-locks or good cable locks so that you don't have to worry someone will steal your bikes if you take a quick trip inside rest stops. If you stay at any hotels along the way, bring your bikes inside with you. Some places are weird about this so my typical plan is to check in without mentioning it, then pull my bike inside through a side door or other entrance to get it into my room.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 11:35:03 AM »
I started a hybrid drive-bike commute in May, 2013.   My Prius has a trunk-type bike rack with nylon straps that is almost always on my car.  In fact, one of the nylon straps broke a long time ago (10 years?) and I simply tied it in a knot and kept using it.  When I started bike commuting, I briefly contemplated buying a new one but decided against it.

So, fwiw, my bike rack has been on my car nearly every day for almost two years and for long drives and short ones (I drove about 250 miles with it yesterday -- from Richmond to DC and back).

Never had any issues.  I supplement the straps that keep the bikes on with bungee cords. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 11:42:34 AM »
We are driving half way, staying with some relatives, then driving the rest of the way and staying with different relatives.  Then we will reverse it.  So safe residential neighborhoods with garages every night.  I would still like to lock it up at rest stops.   I have a long cable (like 20 ft) that I can snake around the bikes, but i'm not sure what to attach it to. 

Longwaytogo

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 11:58:14 AM »
We did an 8000 mile trip with one with 3 bikes on it. Never had any issues; just checked straps occasionally at stops.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 01:23:33 PM »
I always use several bungee cords and some tie-down straps for extra piece of mind. Basically, if you try to shake the bikes, the car should be moving as well. Detach any accessories that might fly off (lights, saddle bag, water bottle, etc). Tie a red flag or other obvious marker to the bikes for extra visibility.

Lastly, I recommend locking everything together with U-locks or good cable locks so that you don't have to worry someone will steal your bikes if you take a quick trip inside rest stops. If you stay at any hotels along the way, bring your bikes inside with you. Some places are weird about this so my typical plan is to check in without mentioning it, then pull my bike inside through a side door or other entrance to get it into my room.

Great advice.  We've done a few longish trips with bikes and this is what we do.