Author Topic: tracking spending; what software do you use in 2020?  (Read 8626 times)

Simpli-Fi

• Bristles
Re: tracking spending; what software do you use in 2020?
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2020, 11:33:08 PM »
I reread 'Your Money or Your Life' (arguably the number 1 source of inspiration for the FIRE movement) recently and I'm surprised none of these trackers have the Income Vs. Spending Vs. Investment Income by month that is very much key to the math of FI or the Fulfillment Vs. Global Impact Rating assigned to transactions which is pretty key to the motivation and nature of FI.

That being said, I use Mint for it's automatic pulling in of things (nothing sneaks by) and EveryDollar as a budgeting device. I also have a very simple Google Sheet I use to visualize the Income vs. Spending Vs. Investment Income which I can use to forecast my FIRE date really easily.
I read YMOYL and find PC does exactly this+more

FIRE_guy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2020, 06:34:42 AM »
YNAB for managing spending at a day-to-day level.
I have a spreadsheet for tracking NW, Savings Rate, etc. which I update each month with account balances and total income/expenses from YNAB.

beee

• Stubble
    • HoneyMoney.io
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2020, 04:33:31 PM »
I've been running and using HoneyMoney.io since 2011.
It's a manual tracking system, I feel that manual tracking leads to paying more attention to finances.

The best thing I like about it is that I use it as a financial journal.

For example, here's the breakdown of hotel costs during our 2015 road trip and total Amsterdam trip costs. Those transactions happened over multiple days and via different credit cards, cash, etc. It all did matter at the moment but then I simply combined all of them into one transaction per trip.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:35:49 PM by beee »

Krolik

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2020, 11:09:16 AM »
I still use YNAB old version (desktop / no fee). Happy with it.

nburns

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2020, 11:37:26 AM »
I've been using a good ole fashioned homemade excel spreadsheet to track all spending and retirement savings.  A little extra work for certain things but I like the ability to be able to customize it exactly how I want it.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2020, 05:21:04 AM »
I'm using GnuCash (8 years of tracking now). It's easier than a spreadsheet but you still have to enter most stuff in manually.

+1

I download my transactions from my bank accounts and credit cards and import them into GnuCash to reduce the amount of manual entry.

I've been using Gnucash since 2011, but had no idea I could import! 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2020, 09:24:37 AM »
I use Quicken for Mac. 
I don't know how anyone could NOT use some kind of tracking that let's you look up past purchases, etc.  Everything is downloaded for me and I check every purchase and every credit card at least weekly.  It's scary how much I forget (what did I buy with my Amex card? I don't remember that..oh yeah, I paid the plumber).

At the end of the year, I run a report and send it to my accountant -- for both my business and my personal.  It's really pretty easy!

Wait...what? For some reason, I thought you were the accountant, lol.

ha, nope.    I've been told by CPAs that with an S-Corp, I'm better off paying someone else to do it.  Doing my own taxes is pretty easy, but I just let the accountant do that since it's all dependent on the S-corp income and sometimes he isn't done with that until it's inconvenient for me to do the person. 

Lucky13

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2020, 10:50:23 AM »
Surprised to see others using plain ol' spreadsheets, cool! that's my game, I thought i was lazy but I find Quicken and others too complex for my needs. I tried out a few iphone apps and "Expenses OK" is what I'm using now to record purchases (no more saving receipts).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!