Author Topic: Track savings in Mint  (Read 9953 times)

Lady Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Track savings in Mint
« on: October 17, 2012, 11:36:48 AM »
Hey friends, does anyone know how to get Investment or Savings categories to show up in Mint's "Trends" pie chart? I want to see it as a percentage of my spending, but it doesn't seem to be an option. Thanks!

zoltani

Re: Track savings in Mint
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:18:20 PM »
The only way I know is through Net Income.  It only shows income vs expense, so it can give you an idea of your savings rate, but it won't show exactly where those savings went. 

I do wish mint had a little more functionality in their graphs, but you can always download a csv file and do what you want with it in excel.

AJDZee

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 11:53:20 AM »
I was just going to start a thread that brought this exact issue up...

Why doesn't Mint have a category for savings?? It would be very powerful to see the money you've transferred into savings each month. That way you can track to make sure you hit your savings goal for that month. One can only assume that if you stick to your budget that excess money is going into savings... but until it's in your investment account / brokerage / stocks/ GIC/ whatever it's not invested!

If you log onto Mint with a computer and go to the 'Budget' section you can create a custom budget category - call it 'Savings' or whatever. So it is possible to track, but I'm disappointed Mint doesn't include this in their default budgets.

curler

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:08:38 PM »
I was just going to start a thread that brought this exact issue up...

Why doesn't Mint have a category for savings?? It would be very powerful to see the money you've transferred into savings each month. That way you can track to make sure you hit your savings goal for that month. One can only assume that if you stick to your budget that excess money is going into savings... but until it's in your investment account / brokerage / stocks/ GIC/ whatever it's not invested!

If you log onto Mint with a computer and go to the 'Budget' section you can create a custom budget category - call it 'Savings' or whatever. So it is possible to track, but I'm disappointed Mint doesn't include this in their default budgets.
I've never tried, but is there a way to do that with the goal functionality somehow?

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 01:12:58 PM »
What I do is have the transactions of money being withdrawn from my checking into Roth IRA/Taxable accounts categorized in my budget within Mint. This doesn't count any money put into my savings account or 401k money.

Aside from that no not within Mint. But you should have enough of your numbers to figure the rest of your question out.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!