Author Topic: Tired of dimmer switches  (Read 3080 times)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Tired of dimmer switches
« on: December 07, 2017, 06:50:17 PM »
I have a ceiling fan in the kitchen that has a motion detector option. It has 3 options: on, off or motion detector. I don't really care about having a ceiling fan or not. In my living room I have a chandelier with a dimmable dial.

I have tried for years to find compatible light bulbs for both but they all blow out quickly. I'm considering taking out the fancy switches. I had to take out the programmable thermostat when it broke, maybe the previous owner was a shoddy electrician? The house was built in 1939. There was a heavy up (right term?) so its to code. The electrition who looked at it today thinks i just need to keep looking for compatible bulbs. Any ideas?

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Tired of dimmer switches
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:59:48 PM »
Have you:

- Tried switching out the dimmer dial?

This is probably the easiest solution especially if you are in an older house.

You actually need to look at the compatibility of bulbs (e.g. LED, etc.) and the dimmer you are using. Some dimmers cannot accommodate certain lights, or certain loads. For example, I use this dimmer: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Skylark-Contour-150-Watt-Single-Pole-3-Way-CFL-LED-Dimmer-White-CTCL-153PDH-WH/202517700

It works with CFL and LEDs. BUT you also need to check if the LEDs or CFLs you are buying are dimmable.

So there are multiple factors at play.

If I am using a non-dimmable CFL or LED, it will probably blow out.

If my dimmer is not made for CFLs or LEDs, it will probably blow out.

If I am putting too much of a load on the dimmer (notice the one I linked to says 150-watt LED or 600-watt incandes.), it will probably blow out.

A dimmer is relatively easy to swap out yourself.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 07:32:42 PM »
Putting in a regular toggle switch is pretty easy to do and personally I hate dimmers so I don't see a downside.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 08:01:31 PM »
Ok, I'm to all suggestions.

Tried switching out the dimmer dial?

I haven't.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:17:29 PM »
Ok, I'm to all suggestions.

Tried switching out the dimmer dial?

I haven't.

I would try that first if you want to keep the dimmer. Now, if you hate it, it is very simple to replace a light switch and they are <$2 at your local hardware store.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 08:54:01 PM »
Ok, cool.

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 07:56:27 AM »
Ok, cool.
Just please make sure you turn off the power at the breaker panel for that circuit first! If they aren't marked (and even if it is marked) verify you get the right one by turning on the lights first and then flip breakers off until they go off.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 06:04:44 PM »
Thanks for the reminder.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!