Author Topic: Tips wanted for renting out spare room  (Read 2369 times)

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
Tips wanted for renting out spare room
« on: March 30, 2018, 01:52:47 PM »
I'm facing health issues and am being forced into part time work and looking for other ways to make up the lost income. My husband and I are thinking of renting out our spare room, but besides one year of dorm mates, we both have no experience with having a roommate. We have a potential person from the local college where we could rent out for summer semester and then decide after that if we want to continue on.

I'm looking for any advice you have on the matter and suggestions on how to form a price.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Tips wanted for renting out spare room
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 03:53:47 PM »
There’s a whole section on real estate and renting to post questions like this to. That’s my tip.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 05:33:44 AM »
What are rooms around the local college, similar to yours, renting for?

I would also put the word out to all my friends that I’m looking for a roommate. It’s easier living with someone you already know, or a friend of a friend.

mcneally

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 06:23:08 AM »
Yeah, if at all possible try to use social media to find a friend/ relative of a friend. Pre-set what the rules are for having people (including dates) over.

kenner

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 08:22:31 AM »
I prefer renting my place* in short-term (2-4 month) increments, although I know a lot of people prefer long term tenants...if you do want to try short-term first, if there are hospitals near you, I've had good luck with travelling nurses.  They move from city to city depending on where there's a need and generally stay for a few months.  Agree with getting everything in writing, though--I get a boilerplate rental agreement from the state and then tweak as necessary regarding payments, overnight visitors, parking, etc.

*Basement in my current residence that uses some of the same common areas, not a separate unit entirely.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 08:24:05 AM by kenner »

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 11:53:52 AM »
What are rooms around the local college, similar to yours, renting for?

I would also put the word out to all my friends that I’m looking for a roommate. It’s easier living with someone you already know, or a friend of a friend.

I've seen the price range from 350-650. I'm thinking 450 is good? We do have a person who is interested who we believe is a reliable person.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 11:54:30 AM »
I prefer renting my place* in short-term (2-4 month) increments, although I know a lot of people prefer long term tenants...if you do want to try short-term first, if there are hospitals near you, I've had good luck with travelling nurses.  They move from city to city depending on where there's a need and generally stay for a few months.  Agree with getting everything in writing, though--I get a boilerplate rental agreement from the state and then tweak as necessary regarding payments, overnight visitors, parking, etc.

*Basement in my current residence that uses some of the same common areas, not a separate unit entirely.

Wow, I didn't know the forms were free online! That makes things much easier

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 02:21:10 PM »
How do you advertise / connect with the travelling nurses?  I presume you must do this before they come to your area.