Author Topic: The Humble Potato  (Read 19956 times)

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
The Humble Potato
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:18:20 AM »
I live in Florida and MMM heating/cooling ideals pretty much ensure that a 5# bag of potatoes will go bad within a week or two. So, when I make the budget-stretching choice to buy a big bag o' taters, I need to eat them just about every day.  Baked with buttery spread and dried chives gets boring fast.

What are your favorite potato recipes, toppers, preparations, etc?  (Lactose free suggestions are quite welcome.)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: The Humble Potato
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 10:25:55 AM »
I'd be eating lots of cold potato salad in FL this time of year.  Try steaming the taters in the microwave rather than heating up the house by boiling them.  Dress with olive oil and vinegar/dijon if you don't like mayo.  Add lots of veggies, maybe some hard boiled eggs and olives.

Hmm, now I want to make this for dinner!

If you have smaller, thin-skinned potatoes, my favorite thing to do with them is put them whole in a mixing bowl, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and shake until they're evenly coated, then throw them on the grill (oven works too).  They stay moist inside, and get a nice, crispy skin.  Sooo good!

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 10:28:38 AM »
A few suggestions:

* Chop em up and put them in curries.
* Chop em up and put em in soups.
* Chop em up and cook them with onions and (kale|spinach|root vegetable). Fry an egg and eat any time of day.
* Buy a Mandoline and make homefries with ease! Mandoline not necessary.
* Buy a Mandoline, cut into rings and make a potato gratin. Madoline not necessary.
* Latkes.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 10:32:50 AM »
I have been making massaman curry with potatoes.  I also stuff potatoes with leftover meats and sauces for lunch.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 10:32:57 AM »
Syracuse salt potatoes.  Use new potatoes or potatoes cut into 2" chunks.  Add salt to water until it's so saturated that salt collects on the bottom (at room temperature).  Boil potatoes.  After you've emptied the pot and before you've rinsed it, you can melt a tablespoon of butter for sauce.

Fun fact: you can live on a diet of potatoes and fortified milk and have no vitamin deficiencies.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 10:33:18 AM »
In the summer we slice them thinly, put them in a single layer on oiled aluminum foil, season with salt and whatever spices you like, seal up the foil packet and grill until you have something like oven fries.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 10:37:31 AM »
I'd be eating lots of cold potato salad in FL this time of year.  Try steaming the taters in the microwave rather than heating up the house by boiling them.  Dress with olive oil and vinegar/dijon if you don't like mayo.  Add lots of veggies, maybe some hard boiled eggs and olives.

This just might end my potato salad boycott!  (I'm crazy jealous of the guy on kickstarter who raised $70k to learn how to make potato salad! ha ha)

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 10:44:16 AM »
Man...I thought this was going to be a thread extoling the virtues of being a couch potato, not actually about POTATOES...

ginklord

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 10:55:55 AM »
My wife loves dressing a baked potato with a big ol' pile of salsa. Throw on some sour cream and you have a winner.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »
* Buy a Mandoline and make homefries with ease! Mandoline not necessary.
* Buy a Mandoline, cut into rings and make a potato gratin. Madoline not necessary.
* Latkes.

Your brain works like mine does!  Ha!  (Super excited idea! *Rational tag-on.*) :-)

I will say though, that Latkes are a great idea.  I'm also thinking Swiss rosti potatoes would be fun too.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 12:05:31 PM »
DIY home fries: 
Take a leftover baked potato (you can cook a bunch at once and keep them in the fridge for a week or two easily until you use them all) and cut it into cubes.  Then slowly brown in a pan over medium heat with a tiny bit of oil or pam and a healthy dose of Lawry's seasoning salt.  Consume immediately.  Or toss a couple of eggs in the pan with it, smush them around to cook and have a "skillet meal".  Add cheese, vegs, or whatever appeals at the moment.  Mmmm.  So good. 

TrMama

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 12:11:01 PM »
Make a big batch of potato pancakes and stash the extras in the freezer.

Apparently they can also be sliced thinly and dried, which you may be able to do outside on screens in FL.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 12:24:14 PM »
Dill potatoes are easy and really good, especially with fresh dill, but dried works as well.

Cut up potatoes, boil w/ a fair amount of salt, drain when cooked, add butter and dill and stir.  I usually add more salt too, but I like my potatoes salty.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 12:32:21 PM »
Baked potato topped with Chili - it is a full meal for sure.

avonlea

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 12:56:43 PM »
Lots of great suggestions!

horsepoor's potato salad recipe kinda reminds me of one that I like to make sometimes.  It basically has potatoes, grilled hot dogs, basil, and olive oil.  I know it probably sounds weird at first, but if you have any leftover grilled hot dogs, this is a great way to use them up (along with all of those potatoes!). http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/veronicas-potato-salad-recipe.html

Hobo dinners are fun and easy, too. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/hobo-dinner

I don't think anyone has mentioned mashed potatoes yet.  I love them and you can experiment with different flavors.  Here are two variations that I like:  1) Add in some roasted garlic.  2) Make a fun combination by mashing both white potatoes and sweet potatoes together.

avonlea

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 12:59:43 PM »
Just realized that mashed potatoes are probably not lactose free...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:07:37 PM by avonlea »

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 01:09:18 PM »

In my mind:

Butter? Oh, that doesn't work, just use extra cream. Oh, that doesn't work, just use milk. Hmm. I wonder if yogurt would work?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 01:17:09 PM »
Somebody has to post this, so it might as well be me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrQVFZx7XX4

avonlea

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 01:27:10 PM »

In my mind:

Butter? Oh, that doesn't work, just use extra cream. Oh, that doesn't work, just use milk. Hmm. I wonder if yogurt would work?

Hmmmm...maybe! Thanks for possibly saving me there, senecando. :)

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 01:28:21 PM »

They are if you make them with chicken or vegetable stock instead of cream.  :-)  It's been so long since I had the "real deal" that I don't notice the difference anymore.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 01:30:05 PM »

Yaaaaas! This will be my kitchen jam for the night!

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 01:32:13 PM »
With sauteed mushrooms and A-1 sauce....the poor mans steak!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 01:33:34 PM »
You can make mashed potatoes and freeze them for later.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 01:35:39 PM »
Flagging so I remember to add two german receipe names later (I only know the mangled English pronunciation by us as kids, of the klosse variant, which was something like "wiggle clays"...and we called the other "baseballs"...).  Neither tasted like potatoes

Potato soup/corn chowder
Hash browns
Baked potato bar
Potato pancakes (latke version, or my mom got irritated with time grating and throws it in the blender)
Slice up pressure cooked potatoes and fry
Casserole - as kids we had one with carrots, potatoes, and hot dogs

avonlea

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 03:42:01 PM »

They are if you make them with chicken or vegetable stock instead of cream.  :-)  It's been so long since I had the "real deal" that I don't notice the difference anymore.

Stock instead of cream makes sense. Thanks for telling me that, OSUBearCub. :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 03:44:12 PM »
Just remembered another good one:  Spanish Tortilla

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/spanish-tortilla

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 04:30:17 PM »
With sauteed mushrooms and A-1 sauce....the poor mans steak!

You, Sir, just planned my dinner tonight!

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 04:59:29 PM »
One amazing way involves duck fat or chicken fat. Bacon fat could work too.

- start with "floury" baking potatoes.
- cut into large chunks
- boil until half-done
- drain all water off potatoes, add fat to pot (about a tablespoon per potato, I'm generous), let it melt
- now put a lid on and shake the pot so the potatoes edges squish, and all the chunks get coated in fat.
- dump the potato-fat mixture on a cookie sheet or 9x13 pan and bake till crispy

Sunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Baked potatoes, topped with chili, shredded cheese and sour cream
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 05:33:02 PM »
We do a veggie chili since we have vegetarians in the house.  This is especially good in chilly weather.

puglogic

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 05:52:08 PM »
All of the above and
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/french-potato-salad-recipe.html
...with a little crumbled bacon mixed in.  Sometimes wrapped in a tortilla.  Yikes.

Speaking of which, potatoes, scrambled eggs, and some kind of breakfast meat, liberally doused with salsa and rolled inside a tortilla. Breakfast burritos for dinner.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 10:30:16 AM »
***Update***

I rediscovered the chili baked potato last night: I had a few bags of Top Secret Recipes Wendy's Chili in the freezer and I used the crock pot to bake potatoes.  (Link below).   Minor change up but a good one. 

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! I'm compiling a list of ideas for my recipe binder and hope to try all of them.  Keep them coming!

***Edited***
I forgot the links.

Baked potatoes in a slow cooker: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-bake-a-potato-in-the-slow-cooker-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-189271

Top Secret Recipes Wendy's Chili: http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Wendys-Chili-Copycat-Recipe.html
(I make this in the crock pot and freeze it.  Big recipe - use a large crock pot!)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:05:26 PM by OSUBearCub »

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 10:48:37 AM »
Give half the potatoes to your neighbor and they will probably give you something next time they have extra.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 12:44:29 PM »

In my mind:

Yogurt works great.  Toss some salt, pepper, and chives on a piping hot baked potato with greek yogurt and you've got yourself some tasty food!

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2014, 01:32:56 PM »
You can grate them into hashbrowns and freeze them, or even just make good old mashed potatoes and freeze them.  You may find that the texture is a bit "off" but not significantly so.  When I do them this way I think they're fine -- especially in the crockpot.  I'll layer potatoes, eggs, veggies, and other fixings in the crockpot and do an egg bake thingy that's quite good.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 03:57:40 PM »
Boil them. Rough cut the with a fork and drop on top of a salad with a Vinagar and oil dressing. Awesome

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 07:31:54 PM »
Mashed potatoes go into bread and waffles, north european style!  Man, those guys can hide potatoes in everything.!

Pyrogy.  (potatoe dumplings polish style)

I particularly love refried mashed potatoes for breakfast, with onions and butter.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 10:23:29 PM »
C.K. you're awesome!  I've already pulled up about 8# of potatoes just by getting the ones that were too near the surface and in danger of greening.  If that's any indication of how many more are underground, we'll be pretty much living on potatoes for the next six months.  Last night was Spanish tortilla, and potato salad is definitely on the menu this weekend.

Potatoes:  the other white meat.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2014, 08:22:25 AM »
Chocolate potato cookies, C. K.?  What dark magic is this?! :-)

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2014, 08:29:19 AM »

Yaaaaas! This will be my kitchen jam for the night!

I'm just assuming without even clicking on the link that this is "Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew".

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2014, 04:37:29 PM »
C.K. you're awesome!
Thanks

Chocolate potato cookies, C. K.?  What dark magic is this?! :-)

Ha!

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2014, 10:21:06 AM »
Hassleback Potatoes. Mmmm....

RK1451

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 10:55:23 AM »
This works best with new potatoes, but it's fine with regular old potatoes too - Nika Hazelton's Flemish Asparagus: http://kitchenography.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/04/nika-hazeltons.html
basically, boiled potatoes topped with asparagus and an egg/butter/lemon sauce.  Amazing.  I usually reduce the butter a ton though!

I also often just bake a couple of potatoes and top with whatever leftover vegetable bits we have in the fridge (diced tomato, sauteed mushrooms and onions, steamed broccoli, sauteed spinach...whatever you got!), and sometimes a fried egg and usually cheddar cheese.   The potato just becomes the delicious pallet for whatever leftovers you might have!

When baking a potato, if you don't have enough time to bake them in the oven, but still want that nice crisp skin from the oven, try microwaving for a couple of min. to get it started, then transfer them to the oven - shortens the baking time dramatically!  This also works well if you want to make baked potatoes on the grill - also amazing!  Just microwave until warm but not actually soft (maybe 3 min.?), then grill. 

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 11:08:01 AM »
My favorite (when I have the time and a stove top that works) is rosemary potatoes and onions.

Chop up the potatoes into 1/2' cubes and some onions into 1'2 or so chunks(depending on how many potatoes you're using). I usually use vidalia (sp?) or whatever light one is on sale. Mix them up in a big bowl with olive oil to coat and fresh rosemary. Pour into a stovetop pan (non stick works wonders) and set on med-low uncovered. Stir every 5-10 minutes and everything should be cooked in about an hour. It's not an easy recipe by the amount of work that you do, but wow is it tasty!

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 03:29:04 PM »
papas rellenas: http://www.mycolombianrecipes.com/colombian-style-stuffed-potatoes-papas-rellenas-colombianas

I've only ever baked these as described in the comments.  they were good, but I'm sure they would have been even better fried.

potato gnocchi: e.g. http://thedomesticman.com/2012/10/23/gluten-free-potato-gnocchi/. I've had them with pesto or butter and salt.  They freeze well.

kestnuts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2014, 03:57:30 PM »
My favorite easy potato recipe -

2 potatoes, cut into 1/2" cubes
3 eggs
3 slices bacon, chopped
1/4c cheddar cheese

Season potatoes with cajun seasoning, then brown with just a bit of oil in a nonstick pan on medium-high heat. Or, alternatively, fry the bacon first, remove from the pan, then cook the potatoes in the bacon grease (soooo good.)
When potatoes are fully browned (or almost fully browned, if using the raw bacon) add chopped bacon, stirring occasionally.
Whip the eggs in a small bowl, and add to the mix. Stir continuously with a rubber spatula
When eggs are just a few seconds from being done, stir in the cheese. Serve immediately
 Garnish with salsa if desired.

Great, filling meal for a really decent price. I lived off eggs and potatoes for 6 months in college, when I only had maybe $25 a week for groceries. You learn how to make it taste good.

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2014, 05:09:45 PM »
Maybe you can stick the bag of potatoes in a cooler (without ice) and that would keep them?

I like making my own potato wedges.  Also, this guy has a lot of potato recipes: www.potatostrong.com  He lost weight on potatoes!

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2014, 11:32:42 AM »
Maybe you can stick the bag of potatoes in a cooler (without ice) and that would keep them?

I like making my own potato wedges.  Also, this guy has a lot of potato recipes: www.potatostrong.com  He lost weight on potatoes!

I never thought of the cooler idea!  I keep the AC off during the day and the inside temperatures can get up to 85 degrees (29-30 Celsius). Not having a basement subjects my spuds to pretty harsh keeping temperatures.  I'll try out a cheap-o foam cooler and see how it works.

The website you suggested is awesome too.  I would love to go plant-based in my diet.  These recipes look really tasty.

gildedbutterfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • "We two alone will...laugh at gilded butterflies"
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2014, 11:48:52 AM »
Aloo Paratha is one of my favs, if you don't mind a little work. The recipe I use (passed down from my Auntie) is similar to this one: http://www.padhuskitchen.com/2009/11/simple-steps-to-make-aloo-parathas.html

My favorite (when I have the time and a stove top that works) is rosemary potatoes and onions.

Chop up the potatoes into 1/2' cubes and some onions into 1'2 or so chunks(depending on how many potatoes you're using). I usually use vidalia (sp?) or whatever light one is on sale. Mix them up in a big bowl with olive oil to coat and fresh rosemary. Pour into a stovetop pan (non stick works wonders) and set on med-low uncovered. Stir every 5-10 minutes and everything should be cooked in about an hour. It's not an easy recipe by the amount of work that you do, but wow is it tasty!

A similar recipe I love: http://www.woodenspoonblog.com/2011/01/08/rosemary-wine-root-vegetables/

Basically the same, but with the addition of mushrooms and carrots and wine.

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2014, 12:51:07 PM »

I never thought of the cooler idea!  I keep the AC off during the day and the inside temperatures can get up to 85 degrees (29-30 Celsius). Not having a basement subjects my spuds to pretty harsh keeping temperatures.  I'll try out a cheap-o foam cooler and see how it works.

The website you suggested is awesome too.  I would love to go plant-based in my diet.  These recipes look really tasty.

You might try getting one of those freezer packs and adding it to the cooler.  Just something that if it warms up, won't melt all over the place.

I'm trying to eat healthier and that website has a lot of great recipes.  He lowered his cholesterol too.  This weekend I'm going to try to make his potato salad.  I love potatoes!