Dmy0013

• Stubble
« on: July 10, 2013, 08:17:38 AM »
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:36:25 AM by Dmy0013 »

CheckEngineLight

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Career Choices
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »
Been there done that (working crazy hours, weekends,etc).  I am 30 now, between 22-26 I worked 60+ hours a week for 4 months straight (Accounting/Finance).  It was a form of paying my dues essentially to get to bigger and better places. 

What worked for me may not work for you, it really depends on how you handle stress and how much you let it affect you at work and outside of work.  I'd suck it up, I don't mean take abuse, but let this stuff roll off your shoulder and do the best that you can without doing anything drastic.  Don't quit either, the environment you are working in is just a ticking time bomb and something will give, either your boss, your co workers, etc.  If you get laid off at your level you should be able to get decent severence as well, so not worry.  Whatever you do, don't quit.

As far getting into trades, that doesn't come without its own problems.  Think it through, once you make up your mind try to take courses at night/weekend to do this career change while still getting paid.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 09:29:14 AM »
Get out.  Given that you have an option to become a plumber this level of stress, uncertainty and overtime is not worth $38/hour imo when you have another option. 

Who knows if you will even have a job in five years when you might have a kid too?  If the downsizing is deemed to be necessary for business reasons you will not get a huge buyout.  You might get 7 months max if it is not deemed necessary (net $29,000 or so), but there is no guarantee this offer would be made.

If you are sure that being a plumber is a viable alternative for you I would take the $14/hr apprenticeship knowing that you will land in a much better place and have more options and trade.  You should do this now before kids come along if you plan to have them.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 10:10:58 AM »
Good.  The only issue I see with my friends/family who are plumbers is that it can be hard on your body.  If you are planning on retiring before 50 anyway I don't think this will be a problem.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 10:52:41 AM »
You're not crazy at all. I think becoming a plumber may be a great plan! That is a job that can never be outsourced, it's a skill that lets you be Mustachian by doing your own plumbing (whether on your residence or on any future investment properties you may own), it's also Mustachian in that you don't need to buy fancy clothes to go to work in, and if it works anything like it does in the US, it gives you the option of total independence--working for yourself, if you want--as well as the union option. In other words it's flexible depending on your needs/wants at any given time. And it's highly HIGHLY unlikely to EVER be as stressful as your existing job has been every single day, or to ever require 80-hour weeks! And last but not least, a union plumber isn't going to be fired, and if he is fired, HE'S A PLUMBER with a very tangible skill that people pay good money for. That's a lot better than being a laid-off office worker.

Have you ever read "Shop Class as Soulcraft"? Here's a link. It is a BRILLIANT argument in favor of going into the skilled trades rather than office work. http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Class-Soulcraft-Inquiry-Value/dp/0143117467
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:54:54 AM by Daleth »