Author Topic: Stevia on the Cheap?  (Read 2386 times)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Stevia on the Cheap?
« on: February 05, 2019, 05:36:22 PM »
Between my BF and myself we go through about 2 large dropper bottles of stevia each month (purchased from sprouts).

Used for making both coffee and lemon/lime aid at home.

These bottles cost about $20 a piece!  $40 per month for artificial sweetner seems insane!  These bottles are like 2 oz if I recall.

I'd like to buy a large gallon jug of this somewhere if I can.. anyone have any ideas?  I'd like to cut cost in half or less for this artificial sweetner habit.

Altons Bobs

• Bristles
Re: Stevia on the Cheap?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 06:05:46 PM »
I guess you don't shop around to find the best price yet then. I just looked at one place, it's already so much cheaper: https://smile.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-BetterStevia-Liquid-8-Ounce/dp/B0017WG180 - 8oz for $15.79.

Cgbg

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 06:16:45 PM »
You can also grow stevia. It’s a bit tough to get the seeds started but I’ve grown in on the PNW.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 12:48:19 AM »
I do shop around to find best prices. I have a case of pork butt in my chest freezer at $1.28 a pound.. otherwise costs me over $2 per pound individually.  I have a case of pork loin in the chest as well.  I have a price book and compare all my prices at ALDI, Sams and Walmart usually.

I just never found a good tasting Stevia that matches the quality of the one at sprouts.  Hopefully the one you linked tastes as good, but it seems as though you might not have yet tried it having to look it up by price only.   I'll buy it and let you know how it tastes.  Thanks for the link!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 04:17:21 PM »
It's a plant. Grow it. You can cook with the leaves or drop them in tea to make things sweeter. For your lemon/lime stuff, just steep the leaves for a bit and then add to the lemon/line stuff.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 04:53:25 PM »
A 2oz dropper is $7 at our local Trader Joe’s.   I’ve never tasted the sprouts kind, but have been pleased with this quality.   Too much does have a metallic kind of taste, but it’s usually way too sweet For me before it gets to that level so it hasn’t been a deal breaker. 

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 09:36:39 AM »
It was actually a 4 oz dropper for $22 or so from Sprouts, not 2 oz -- sorry.

I tried the Trader Joe's and didn't like the aftertaste.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 09:38:31 AM »
It's a plant. Grow it. You can cook with the leaves or drop them in tea to make things sweeter. For your lemon/lime stuff, just steep the leaves for a bit and then add to the lemon/line stuff.

I want to get into gardening.  I need to build 4 square raised garden beds (say 6 x 6 feet), with a cross shaped walkway between them.  That way I don't have to break my back and can get to everything easily.  I'm disabled and can't work on my knees at all unfortunately.  So want a garden though!

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 01:13:31 PM »
I used to use the liquid Stevia but transitioned to the powder and like it as well. I buy the boxes of individual packets at Costco -- one box lasts me a year or more.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 05:12:52 PM »

I want to get into gardening.  I need to build 4 square raised garden beds (say 6 x 6 feet), with a cross shaped walkway between them.  That way I don't have to break my back and can get to everything easily.  I'm disabled and can't work on my knees at all unfortunately.  So want a garden though!

You can grow it a pot on your countertop. It's not a difficult thing to grow and you don't need huge amounts of it.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 05:44:08 PM »
Grow your own - it is a really easy plant to grow.

We be free if we try

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 06:59:19 PM »
I like the powdered from Trader Joe's and find it goes much, much further than the liquid. Tastes good to me.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 07:25:44 PM »
I like the powdered from Trader Joe's and find it goes much, much further than the liquid. Tastes good to me.
This is the one we use too.  I don't remember what it cost, but it lasts us 2-3 years.

WalkaboutStache

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 07:29:21 PM »
Or you could consider weaning yourselves out of artificial sweeteners altogether.  Use one less drop per cup, let your palate adjust for 4-6 weeks, reduce again.  Pretty soon you will come to a point where sweetened coffee and juice tastes pretty bad because you learned what they taste like without the stuff.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!