Author Topic: Starting investing  (Read 3163 times)

LGabrielle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Starting investing
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:24:52 PM »
Hello there,

I am fairly new to Investing and I after trying to save up for years, I started investing 3 months ago.

Here is the big picture, and I would love to hear any advice from you seasoned MMMers :)
I graduated 1.5 year ago (January 2012) with a marketing degree. College was in NYC, my parents live in Canada.

I worked in NYC from December 2012 to July 2013, making net $2000/month. With expenses and rent sky high, I managed to save up $1200 in total (after splurging on a much needed mcbook - i do graphics)
From that amount, I opened a Betterment.com account starting with $500 (+$25 sign up bonus) and I add $100 monthly.
I now have:
Betterment: Allocation: 51% stocks 48% bonds
$735 invested amount
$15.91 earned (or 2.2% avg interested since July)

US account:
$500 waiting to be deposited monthly. ($100/month)

I have now moved back to Canada with my parents and I am looking for a stable job. I now have an in-between job which pays a bit over $1500/month.
($13.1/hr after taxes, usually 32hrs/week although there is many half days/off times when we aren't paid)
I do not have any expenses here besides a $45 phone bill, about $40-50 in gas and $150 misc.

I went to my bank TD and decided to allocate my money to mutual funds to get it working for me while I do not need it .
Allocation 50/50 bonds/stocks
TD Comfort Balanced portfolio Putting in $250 weekly until beginning of January.
                                Gross amount         Net amount        Unit Price              Trans. Units
PPP Purchase      $250.00          $250.00       $14.0500      17.794

TD Monthly income Putting in $100 bi-weekly indefinitely.
                                Gross amount         Net amount            Unit Price              Trans. Units
PPP Purchase      $100.00              $100.00       $17.6300      5.672

Am I putting in too much? Should I keep a sure safety net not in investments? (There are fees for taking out money before a 30 days notice in TD) Any recommendation about these accounts?

I also have loans to repay which I am doing a great job at ignoring...
Loans:
$28,000. I do not have to repay them until I get a proper stable job. (Interest rates are astronomical too. I do not have the exact number)

What should be my game plan? With and without the loans?
Any investing recommendations for a starter?
I am also planning to move countries in February and I cannot be sure of the pay (I will have an internship, with paid rent and transportation)... so I need a short-term and long-term plan (in case I do not leave in February).

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:36:54 PM by LGabrielle »

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Starting investing
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 09:49:43 PM »
Where are you moving? What kind of internship? Sounds like you're off to an exciting start! Kudos to you for saving ANYthing in NYC, I lived there for about a year and didn't save a dime.

I'll let the more seasoned investors chime in with specific advice. But didn't see anything about a savings cushion/available credit? These would be a starting point for determining how much to invest. Betterment sounds interesting.

LGabrielle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 10:11:40 PM »

@expatartist I am thinking about going to Israel. There is a program which offers internship placements in top companies with possibility of hiring after the internship. I see you seem to travel lots, any tips on traveling/moving?

Saving in NYC was tough, but I spent minimally (If that's a possible concept there!)

I do not have any CC and my current TD account balance (besides mutual funds) is $500. I have heard great reviews about betterment so far, hopefully I have made a right decision there.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 10:27:26 PM »
Why are you investing when you are not paying your bills?  You need to clean that mess up before you do much else.    US employers often pull credit reports before hiring, so you may have difficulties if you ever return to the US and look for work.  Not sure how the collection process works for Canadians, but the lenders will make sure the credit world knows you are a deadbeat.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 10:48:06 PM »
D'oh, I just saw the 'in collections'. Ack. As mentioned above, this can haunt you if you ever want a job in the US or with a US company abroad.

We have relocated a lot. Most often on our own rather than with a standard expat package. It takes about 6-12 months to get settled in a place - if you want to settle. It's expensive to do the DIY method but can lead to lots of career growth especially in the early years.