Author Topic: Starting a Cannabis "Micro Business" in Massachusetts  (Read 1502 times)

joer1212

• Bristles
Starting a Cannabis "Micro Business" in Massachusetts
« on: February 17, 2019, 09:39:35 PM »
Would this be a good personal investment?

My brother claims all I have to invest is about 30k for lawyers' fees, licensing and other expenses. He will purchase the commercial property for the business. He needs me because only someone with a net worth of over 500k, with a clean criminal record, can apply.

My issues are:

a) I have a civil service job in NY (not law enforcement). I'm not sure if I'm allowed to be involved in a federally-illegal business. Don't want to ask my employer and be on his radar.

b) I'm skeptical of the profit potential of such a business, as well as the thorny legal/logistical pitfalls of running such an operation (I have no business experience whatsoever, but my brother has run 3 mildly successful barber shops in the past).

My brother always texts me articles about the vast sums of money being made by cannabis entrepreneurs in Massachusetts. He says we are "missing the boat". He told me that in 3 years, the market will be saturated and the profit potential will not be as great as it is now.

I'm currently invested in a classic Boglehead portfolio, and have been doing fairly well because of the rising market in the last few years. I'm skittish about upsetting the apple cart. But 30k seems like a modest sum for the chance to potentially make 100k+/yr (my cut will be less than my brother's because he will be investing more than I will).

Thoughts?

FYI: A "micro business" consists of a small cannabis retail operation subject to certain volume and revenue restrictions.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Re: Starting a Cannabis "Micro Business" in Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 06:58:00 AM »
Again? Weren't you the user that discussed this a long ago in the entrepreneur thread?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 07:03:53 AM »
Again? Weren't you the user that discussed this a long ago in the entrepreneur thread?

That is what I thought. There was a very similar post some time ago. The answer was to run away in the opposite direction.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 07:37:20 AM »
Did you not get enough feedback the last time you asked?