Author Topic: Stain removal from shirts  (Read 12220 times)

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
Stain removal from shirts
« on: April 24, 2015, 08:55:42 AM »
Hi everyone,
I have a couple colored dress shirts with stains on the pockets. The stains are yellow from 3M-type sticky notes that dissolved in the laundry. The shirts are made from a heavy-weight, quick-dry cotton (nothing synthetic). Neither Resolve nor Oxi-Clean are effective at removing the stains. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks!

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Stain removal from shirts
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:18:21 AM »
How long did you let it soak with Oxi-Clean? Did you mix up a fairly concentrated batch?

NCGal

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 09:18:47 AM »
You might try using Fels Naptha. A bar is $1 in Walmart.
http://www.stain-removal-101.com/fels-naptha-soap.html
Get a toothbrush from the dollar store, wet down the shirts and the bar, rub the soap on the stains then scrub gently with the toothbrush.
I haven't tried it yet for stain removal but I used it for home-made laundry detergent.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 09:54:49 AM »
How long did you let it soak with Oxi-Clean? Did you mix up a fairly concentrated batch?
Hi,
I really sprayed on a lot to the point it was still sopping wet an hour later.
Thanks.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 09:56:11 AM »
You might try using Fels Naptha. A bar is $1 in Walmart.
http://www.stain-removal-101.com/fels-naptha-soap.html
Get a toothbrush from the dollar store, wet down the shirts and the bar, rub the soap on the stains then scrub gently with the toothbrush.
I haven't tried it yet for stain removal but I used it for home-made laundry detergent.
Interesting tip! I will follow up.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 10:03:51 AM »
Hi,
I really sprayed on a lot to the point it was still sopping wet an hour later.
Thanks.

With Oxi-Clean, I usually mix it up in a bowl, submerge the stained part, and let it sit overnight. Give it another shot if the Fels doesn't work.

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 10:14:37 AM »
I put it into the machine with detergent and oxy clean.  Let it mix around for a little bit, then I turn the machine off and let the clothes soak (sometimes overnight).  Then restart machine to finish up.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 10:41:20 AM »
1) Claim it's a new fashion trend.
2) Stain additional clothes.
3) Sell them for $500 each.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 11:16:27 AM »
Shout Advanced.

People on the Throw Down the Gauntlet thread No Clothes Shopping 2015 recommended it to me. I have "rescued" 2 dresses and a few blouses with stains varying from mayonnaise, movie theater popcorn butter and ink pens.
I like the set in stain gel remover one. I scrub the stain. Let it sit. Shove it in the wash. If it's still dirty I don't put it into the dryer I do it with the next load :)

Also habitually check pockets before you throw them in the wash. In the last few weeks I found a mint, a chocolate wrapper and a tissue that my fiance had missed. :( After washing the load.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 12:33:28 PM »
Shout Advanced.

People on the Throw Down the Gauntlet thread No Clothes Shopping 2015 recommended it to me. I have "rescued" 2 dresses and a few blouses with stains varying from mayonnaise, movie theater popcorn butter and ink pens.
I like the set in stain gel remover one. I scrub the stain. Let it sit. Shove it in the wash. If it's still dirty I don't put it into the dryer I do it with the next load :)

Also habitually check pockets before you throw them in the wash. In the last few weeks I found a mint, a chocolate wrapper and a tissue that my fiance had missed. :( After washing the load.
Thanks SuperSaver. I will give Shout Advanced a try.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 04:37:39 AM »
Wet the stains with water and put them out in the sun. Best bleach ever.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 08:59:46 AM »
Did it work?

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 04:19:29 PM »
Did it work?
Hi Velocistar,
Thanks for following up. Sorry for my delayed response-I have no good excuse. I had 3 dress shirts with stains. Shirts 1 and 2 had food stains. Shirt 3 had a stain from a yellow 3M Stickie Note that dissolved in the laundry. I applied heavy amounts of Shout Advanced Stain Remover gel (recommended by other posters) to the stains. I then allowed the gel to set for 5 days. I applied so much the gel was quite wet even after 5 days. I then washed the shirts in cold water. (I try to follow Mustachian laundry practices.) There was little improvement visible for the food stains. The stickie note stain faded about 30% so I will try a repeat of the Shout there. I may try and soak the shirts in OxiClean again. I have held off on trying the Fels because I keep meaning to run by a WalMart and get the soap. No place else locally carries it.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 04:30:49 PM »
You could try just regular soap + toothbrush. If you have any dish soap or bar soap like Ivory you might try it. It may be that you need to toothbrush to really srcrub the stain.

Sadly, however, I think if a stain has been washed and dried several times it becomes very hard to get it out.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 04:37:20 PM »
You could try just regular soap + toothbrush. If you have any dish soap or bar soap like Ivory you might try it. It may be that you need to toothbrush to really srcrub the stain.

Sadly, however, I think if a stain has been washed and dried several times it becomes very hard to get it out.
You may be right about this being a lost cause. But I will keep at it a it longer. Maybe a bristly bathroom brush or steel wool for scrubbing?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 04:41:19 PM »
steel wool? I'd stick w/ a toothbrush - much more gentle

snuggler

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 05:34:50 PM »
I'd try Goo Gone. It has worked miracles for me before on sticky stains.