Author Topic: Social Security Number Compromised? Scam?  (Read 1957 times)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Social Security Number Compromised? Scam?
« on: July 17, 2019, 11:32:42 AM »
I just got an odd computer-voice call from "The Social Security Administration" in "Texas" saying that someone was trying to use my social security number in south Texas, and if I wanted to speak with a worker, I should press 1. So I pressed 1 and got a real person on the phone. (Hispanic accent--I think he gave a name, but he was speaking very quickly and I didn't catch it.) I didn't really want to engage, as I had big doubts about whether this could possibly be a legitimate call. I just echoed what the computer-voice had said to me--I did give my name, which of course I should not have--but no other info. The worker (?) said in an urgent-sounding voice, "Do you want me to call 911?" I thought that was an odd response. I said "No, I will follow up locally." And I hung up. I have not called my local social security office yet--should I even do that.? Another odd thing was that this call came through on my digital phone--which I seldom use and do not give anyone as a contact number.

Any thoughts?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Social Security Number Compromised? Scam?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 12:08:27 PM »
Scam.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 12:46:31 PM »
OP, registering online with SSA helps protect you from scammers & gives you an easy way to monitor your account.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 12:50:46 PM »
Scam.

The best thing you can do is put a credit freeze on the 3 major credit bureaus.  This has been pretty cheap but variable cost, but is now free nationwide.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 01:07:56 PM »
Yea google it, it's a scam, i got those every day for a couple weeks.  If I could have a superpower it'd be the ability to reach through a phone or computer and slap people.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 01:09:03 PM »
Scam.

It doesn't matter if you rarely use that phone/number. Scammers have the ability to call thousands of numbers a day and they'll keep doing so until they get a live person. You just got randomly selected.

Bad thing is, now they have your name and know you are a "live" number, and naive enough to possibly talk into scamming since you started to fall for it by picking up the phone in the first place.* This is likely to result in an increase in similar scam calling as they will keep trying and also sell your number on "good number" lists they use to other scammers.

Never call back any number. Doesn't matter if it says it's from a government agency, your bank, credit card or your grandson who was just arrested in Mexico. NEVER ANSWER, NEVER CALL BACK. They can say they're whomever they want, and the # on your caller id is meaningless now that spoofing is so easy. They can even make it look like your number is doing the calling!

If you are nervous about it being legit, then look up the agency website or look on the back of your credit card for the direct number, contact them that way to ask.

*I'm not trying to be insulting; you're likely a very good and honest person and those are the types that scammers LOVE because they know that most folks like that don't believe that there are bottom feeding scum out there that will sink to epic levels to scam someone. It is a sad state of the world where you really just can't trust ANYONE any more and being a kind, trusting or decent human being gets you a target on your back now. :(

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 02:53:15 PM »
The IRS DOES NOT call. They send you a letter if they want to get ahold of you. I suspect that the SSA is going to be similar.

OP, please spend some time brushing up on common scams, etc. You are vulnerable to being scammed.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 03:29:03 PM »
Thanks everybody. Yes, due to electromagnetic rays from last night's partial lunar eclipse, I did not think quickly enough. Strategy for that phone is just to not answer it--let all calls go onto the voice mail. I check all my accounts almost daily--am not sure I want to freeze all my credit--it would make autopays and online financial mgmt. difficult. They were talking about my social security number, not CC number.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 03:32:42 AM »
I check all my accounts almost daily--am not sure I want to freeze all my credit--it would make autopays and online financial mgmt. difficult. They were talking about my social security number, not CC number.

With your SSN, they can open new credit cards in your name, that you don't know about.  (this is not to say that they have your SSN; it is wise to do regardless of this phone call)  Not sure what you mean about autopays--freezing your credit only keeps new lines of credit from being opened without your permission.  Companies you already deal with are not blocked by a freeze, so there is no effect.  You can change that, even temporarily, with a call or click, and a PIN.

If that's good enough for the accounts you already have open, isn't it good enough for accounts you don't even have yet?

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 06:52:52 AM »
Oh thanks, reeshau, I thought freezing my credit would make it impossible for me to use any credit in any way. Sounds like I had better do that, just to be on the safe side.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 03:10:48 PM »
Just jumping back on to say I froze my credit today at all three credit agencies. The whole procedure took half an hour. Give yourself a quiet space (i.e. no kids or dog) and have a notebook and pen. I tried to do it online, but they all ended up saying you had to call them for one reason or another. So I would advise the group to just call the phone numbers and follow the prompts. Equifax gives you a 10 digit PIN and a 10 digit confirmation number on the spot. Experian gives you an 8 digit transaction number, but says they send you your PIN and confirmation number in the US Mail within 10 days. TransUnion asks you for a six-digit PIN. So be ready with one! They say they will send a packet in the mail with information in 5-7 business days. Easy enough--your credit is frozen on the spot--I don't really see a downside.

Equifax 800-685-1111
Experian 888-397-3742
TransUnion 888-909-8872

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 07:01:03 PM »
The IRS DOES NOT call. They send you a letter if they want to get ahold of you. I suspect that the SSA is going to be similar.

OP, please spend some time brushing up on common scams, etc. You are vulnerable to being scammed.

I work for an entity similar to the IRS or the SSA.  I might call you but because I am looking to come an speak to you in person for some reason.  If you are hesitant to speak with me, I will encourage you to hang up and either look on my agencies web site for the office phone number or gasp look for it in your local phone book and call me back.  (I just talked to a group of senior citizens so I stressed the "we are in the phone book.")

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 10:17:45 PM »
Here's a tip.  The United States Government does not conduct business like this with individuals over the telephone.   They operate on things in writing.