Author Topic: Smart gifts for little kids? Savings bonds??  (Read 4369 times)

natb2347

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Smart gifts for little kids? Savings bonds??
« on: July 10, 2017, 06:45:22 PM »
My friends son turned one recently and I want to send them a gift. I don't want to get him toys or anything else that's a waste of money that he will never appreciate. I would like to get him a little chunk of money (75$??) but not sure the best way to do it. Is there anything better than a savings bond?  What do true mustachians get as gifts besides material things he already has too much of?

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
Re: Smart gifts for little kids? Savings bonds??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 07:43:32 PM »
At one, I'd say nothing is a pretty good gift. If they were you're own kid, a share a Disney could be a novel gift for the baby. If they were older, some experience like "Laser Tag At Splash Mountain with Uncle Nat" would be a fun experience to get the kid. But at one? Unless you luck out and get the one toy they'll carry fond memories of for the next few years, I'd think it is not very useful.

As a parent, I didn't like people getting my kid toys. Not because they won't nice toys and not because they won't appreciated but because of the math. Remember, one kid usually equals: four grandparents, two parents, the godparents, and other friends (like you). Between Christmas and birthday, some overly eager people can really bloat my house.

TaxChick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 07:55:26 PM »
My cousin set up a 529 plan for his daughter and encouraged those who wanted to give gifts to give to that instead.  Maybe the child's parents have one set up to which you could contribute?

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 08:51:43 PM »
We have a few friends who have contributed to our kids' 529 plans.  I was tickled when they asked if there was a way to give college money.

natb2347

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 05:58:29 AM »
I COMPLETELY agree with no toys for kids that small. I don't have kids yet but when I do I will want to get them a few things that I pick out myself. Not having a house full of stuff other people get for them would be ideal so naturally I don't want to contribute to something I wouldn't want myself.

I missed the birthday party since I was out of the country and wanted to just acknowledge their sons milestone somehow that isn't wasteful. I want it to be a surprise - maybe a mailed birthday card with something inside....

When she found out she was pregnant i did a hand calligraphy watercolor of her sons name and framed it and sent it to her for example.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 08:37:39 AM »
Pay for a babysitter to give the parents a night off?

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 08:40:21 AM »
I typically give a small (6-10") rubber ball for first birthdays.  They're cheap, and probably will get more use than any other toy.

We also request 529 donations as gifts for our Son, but he's 2.5 now and we haven't had a Birthday party for him yet.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 08:44:42 AM »
Books! And money for college. Kids don't need more toys. I like the idea of experiences, too--take them out to do something, go to a new park/playground, a library, etc.

Lepetitange3

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 09:41:42 AM »
For one- any of these ideas will work. 

Once the child ages, well the question becomes are you looking to fall into an Uncle role or are you looking to maintain friendship with the parents so therefore you get child a gift.  I ask this because to a 5 year old, some stock just makes you seem like the crappy uncle.  Sure when he's 30 he may appreciate it retrospectively.  But from the developing a lifelong relationship with xxx child, it's not gonna cut it.  If it's just the parents you care about, then sure gift the kid stock every event and let the kid be grateful when he's older.  If you're looking to also really develop a relationship with the child, you'll have to up your game as they age.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »
We are anticipating the first baby in a new generation for our family soon, and because the parents are church-mouse poor, I am giving them practical things:  Diapers, for example. 

When I have grandchildren one day, I think I will give a really special book for Christmas and birthdays ... accompanied by a deposit into a college account.  At least when they're small and get so much junk from everyone. 

Another excellent option:  A membership to a museum or zoo.  My grandfather used to give us that when I was a kid, and it was THE BEST.  My parents didn't have money to buy us tickets to such places, but with the membership, they took us often.  It made a real difference in our lives. 

wonkette

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »
I just got my four year old nephew manure through Oxfam America, he thought it was hilarious. https://www.oxfamgifts.com/gifts/manure/

His college education is already paid for through a trust set up by his other grandparents.

tag

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 06:33:33 PM »
I give little kids the ingredients to make their own play dough. They LOVE it.