Author Topic: Small Solo 401K account. Where to invest?  (Read 1294 times)

omega13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Small Solo 401K account. Where to invest?
« on: July 22, 2017, 12:52:57 PM »
Hi all,

I have a Solo 401K account attached to a company that I formed last year. The business activity that I started it for didn't go as expected due to a dishonest business partner.

As such I've decided to make a clean start. However, I don't know how to grow this money in the 401K apart from dumping it back into index funds.

The money is currently sitting in a major bank earning 0.01%.

As I see it, there are 2 ways to grow it:

1. Invest the money itself

Options I have considered here are:

a. Real estate- Most people I've met that have a Solo 401K do that. However, I don't have enough in it to buy a property outright. 

I would have to get a non-recourse loan outside of state to use it that way. Properties in OR are currently unaffordable with what I have.

b. Tax liens- I am not familiar with them and I am happy to delve in on the subject. Again, I would have to venture out of state and figure out the logistics since most of the counties that still have somewhat profitable liens don't seem to have any online sales.

2. Contribute to it through deductions

This is the part that I'm struggling with as well. Establishing a side gig that can generate some sort of income. Part of the challenge has been the busy day job.

My goal for the Solo 401k is to grow it to the point where I can purchase real estate in it and reap some passive income.

Questions:

1. What other options are there for investing the Solo 401k money? What's the best way to tackle this you think?

I feel like I've missed out on some good market gains in the past year or so. Seriously considering throwing it back into VTSAX.

2. What are some side gig recommendations for at least diverting some money into it? It would be great if it could be something that I could get up and running fairly quickly without getting stuck in analysis paralysis.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:07:06 PM by omega13 »

omega13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Small Solo 401K account. Where to invest?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 03:05:30 PM »
Bump.