Author Topic: Side jobs  (Read 19698 times)

microscopes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Side jobs
« on: April 22, 2016, 02:04:25 PM »
Anyone have idea's for side jobs for someone who works 50 hours per work at the full time job?

Online ideas? I dont know.

SailorGirl

• Stubble
Re: Side jobs
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 02:10:42 PM »

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 05:38:53 PM »
Funny, I was going to start a similar thread.

I'm wondering what side jobs post-FIRE folks may pick up now and then. I could see doing occasional freelance writing, editing, copyediting, proofreading, etc.

https://www.leapforceathome.com/qrp/public/jobs/list

SailorGirl, do you have direct experience with them? I haven't always had the best of luck with contracting agencies.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 04:22:50 AM »
Stage hand at an event center/theater. Almost always nights and weekends, so works with many schedules. You can usually work only whichever shows you want and often get to watch the act for free.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 04:34:07 AM »
Anyone have idea's for side jobs for someone who works 50 hours per work at the full time job?

Curious why you posted this in Post-FIRE if you are working 50 hours a week at a full time job?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 04:35:29 AM »

Curious why you posted this in Post-FIRE if you are working 50 hours a week at a full time job?

A wonderfully helpful question. Perhaps because us retired folks are such a wealth of information on this particular topic?

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 06:59:42 AM »

A wonderfully helpful question. Perhaps because us retired folks are such a wealth of information on this particular topic?
Retired people are cranky.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 07:17:09 AM »

I would caution that it may be inaccurate to generalize the attitudes and/or actions of one member of a group to the entire group. :D

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 07:38:38 AM »

I would caution that it may be inaccurate to generalize the attitudes and/or actions of one member of a group to the entire group. :D
Retired people Metric Mouse is are cranky.  ; )

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 08:00:09 AM »
Retired people Metric Mouse is are cranky.  ; )

Damn straight! And more accurate! :D

But seriously, I apologize if I have come off as overly rude.

microscopes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 10:11:57 AM »

I didnt realize I did?

I thought I posted it in the General Talk. Or a mod moved it.

[MOD EDIT: Nope.  It was just posted in the wrong section.  Moving it to AAM.] 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:36:06 AM by arebelspy »

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 10:30:08 AM »
Just an observation, Microscopes: You posted a few months back and then again this month about high bills and financial stress, and got a lot of advice about how to reduce your spending. It looks like now, instead of reducing spending, you're looking for ways to increase income.

That may appear to solve a short-term problem, but chances are that your overspending habits will still lead you to spend more than you earn. You might be better off focusing on ways to cut back than to increase income without adjusting your spending patterns. If you're already working 50+ hours, adding more work in could have some serious long-term ill effects health-wise. There are better solutions.

Maybe you should consider posting a case study.

SailorGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 05:59:42 PM »

I'm wondering what side jobs post-FIRE folks may pick up now and then. I could see doing occasional freelance writing, editing, copyediting, proofreading, etc.

SailorGirl, do you have direct experience with them? I haven't always had the best of luck with contracting agencies.

I've been working there for ~3 years and have gotten paid exactly correctly and on time every single month.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 06:18:28 PM »
Best idea under those circumstances: Get a job as an aerobics instructor, yoga instructor, martial arts instructor, or something else that would allow you to get paid to exercise. I moonlight as a martial arts instructor and it nets me about $500/mo.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 08:44:29 PM »

I've been working there for ~3 years and have gotten paid exactly correctly and on time every single month.

Good to know. Thanks.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!