Author Topic: Should I move for this job?  (Read 1835 times)

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
Should I move for this job?
« on: February 13, 2018, 01:26:45 PM »
So I have a bit of a dilemma. My friend is leaving her position and has recommended me to fill it. It's a slight step down in hourly pay but more hours so net I'd be making ~20% more. It's in a city 2 hours away, and I could live with her until I got a living situation figured out, but I'd have to decide by next week, and go in the next month or so since they need someone right away.
My current job is not great, and I am looking for new opportunities, but I have a bit of hesitation in taking this. My contract is for a couple more months, but I think I can quit earlier.
1. I'm a bit overqualified, but there's lots of room for advancement/promotion (just happened for her, hence the need for a replacement).
2. Things with my partner are getting more serious, we want to try living together, and we both envision our future together. He is open to living in that city, but I still need to talk to him about this opportunity. I don't like the idea of long distance long term, but I could handle weekends only for the short term, as long as there was a plan to close the distance. There may also be a job for him in the same place, but it's not for sure.
3. My lease goes until July, I could probably sublease/transfer it, but I have to see if I'm allowed + find someone or keep the apt and come back on weekends (I don't want to pay rent in 2 places though, and not sure how long living with my friend will be sustainable)
4. My life here. I have hobbies I like, team sports I'd be abandoning, friends I'd be leaving. Not entirely dealbreakers and I can probably join similar groups in the new city but still it makes this decision harder.
How do I make this decision? I'm going to talk to my boyfriend about it, but I'm not entirely sure that I want that job or want to move. Any insights are very much appreciated.

405programmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Should I move for this job?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 03:51:57 PM »
Just reading your initial posts it sounds like there are more negatives than positives. From my perspective I wouldn't do it for ~20% raise. Now if you've always wanted to move to this city this could be a great chance to get your foot in the door.

Overall I'd say leave it alone and stay where you are. You would be losing a known social group, dealing with ending a lease early, and dealing with ending a contract early. All of those things can be challenging one at a time and to take them all on for 20%? Heck no.

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Should I move for this job?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 05:34:05 PM »
1.) Could you negotiate that pay rate up? Just because that is what they paid your friend doesn't mean that's all they could pay, especially if you're coming in to solve their problem in short order, without costing them recruiting time and money, and doing so with an endorsement from someone they know and trust to do this exact job.

2.) How old are you? Making new "real" friends is hard, but finding new team sports and the like is not, and as you hit the second half of your 20s people tend to know the score on this (i.e. they are friendly with new people and have lower expectations of longevity and priorities).

3.) Do you have a job offer in hand? If not, I'd always recommend getting one and seeing what they have to offer, unless doing so and declining would burn bridges

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!