Learning, Sharing, and Teaching > Ask a Mustachian

Send hubby up a ladder or pay $400

(1/9) > >>

freeatlast:
So, ever mustachian, I am painting the exterior of a single story house myself.  Problem is, I can't reach the top of the back and the front.  I have an estimate (labor only) for an insured and licensed painter to do the painting (with caulk and trim painting) for $400.  That's a fair offer.  So - does hubby (46 yr old office worker) go up an extension ladder or do I pony up the $400.  I'm almost thinking to let the painter do the front for $200 (where it matters) and try the dyi with the extension ladder in the back.

I guess we can always give it a go and see if its too hard. However, knowing DH, once he starts, he'd be too manly to say its not a good idea.....

tawyer:
Has DH done caulk and trim painting with his feet planted firmly on the floor? I'm a proponent of learning to do everything yourself, but taking it one step at a time...

Bee21:
I would happily fork out the money. It is about safety.

Few years ago my hb wanted to cut down some palm trees (involving an extension ladder and a chainsaw), which sounded so scary that I happily paid 3 guys 400$, to do the work. No regrets.sometimes you just have to know what to outsource.

Bracken_Joy:
Has he used an extension ladder before? Is he in good physical shape? Has he painted/caulked before? Does you have friends or family who *do* have experience and can help and teach?

If no to those, pay the money. But work to shore up those skills, fitness, and community ties instead!

freeatlast:
Well, DH knows how to caulk, and at some point he has used the extension ladder as he owns it, but I'm not sure how long ago. He's in great shape for watching football.... let's leave it at that. :) He is handy though. I'm leaning towards having the painter do the front for the professional appearance and we attempt the back at our leisure since no one can see it.  If it's not done by next year we pay!!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version