Author Topic: selling a car  (Read 1363 times)

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
selling a car
« on: April 10, 2019, 08:37:18 AM »
Quick question.

We are selling a used car for a family member (whose partner died recently, so there's an extra car).
Do you all use the kbb "private party" value to come up with a price range? If you use something else, please suggest.

walkwalkwalk

• Stubble
Re: selling a car
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 08:44:28 AM »
I search craigslist and see what people are posting a similar model for.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 12:53:45 PM »
KBB "Private Party" is a decent starting point.
Then I search for similar cars in my area using CL and autotrader to see what similar models are selling for.

AlotToLearn

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 05:19:44 PM »
KBB Private Party can give you an idea. Are you selling it to a dealership (i.e Carvana, CarMax) or looking to sell it directly to a buyer (Craigslist)?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 05:38:29 PM »
If you live near a Carmax location, take it there and see what they'll give you for it. At least then you'll have a bottom line price if you decide to sell it yourself.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 06:45:20 PM »
Directly to a buyer- we'll try that first anyway. I actually have an offer already, in the lower end of the KBB range, trying to decide if it's fair.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 09:17:57 PM »
If the offer you have now doesn’t turn into a deal think about listing the car on FB marketplace. We listed an inexpensive car on both auto trader and FB. We got lots of honest interest on FB, and sold it to someone who found it on FB. We got multiple scam messages on autotrader telling us how they had to have the car but couldn’t get there and would wire us money and what is our PayPal?