Author Topic: Recommendation for a Laptop Backpack  (Read 3533 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Recommendation for a Laptop Backpack
« on: February 12, 2018, 06:56:54 PM »
Hi everyone,

Two things have happened in the past week. I got a new laptop, 17.3" monster, and my backpack that I've used for 12 years is starting to show it's age. In short, I need a new backpack and one that will fit my new laptop with ease as I have to essentially shove it in my soon to be discarded backpack which puts it at risk (I believe this laptop was made for 15.6" max).

I will be traveling at least once a month with it and I would like something that looks professional. I've had people comment that I looked like a "college kid" which isn't the best first impression I want to make as I will be taking it with me on work trips.

I've been looking at this laptop, and thankfully a store near me has it so I can take a look first. It's more than I was expecting to find but I've heard amazing things from a few people that own their backpack.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a backpack that can hold a 17.3" laptop?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Recommendation for a Laptop Backpack
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 07:52:35 PM »
Hi everyone,

Two things have happened in the past week. I got a new laptop, 17.3" monster, and my backpack that I've used for 12 years is starting to show it's age. In short, I need a new backpack and one that will fit my new laptop with ease as I have to essentially shove it in my soon to be discarded backpack which puts it at risk (I believe this laptop was made for 15.6" max).

I will be traveling at least once a month with it and I would like something that looks professional. I've had people comment that I looked like a "college kid" which isn't the best first impression I want to make as I will be taking it with me on work trips.

I've been looking at this laptop, and thankfully a store near me has it so I can take a look first. It's more than I was expecting to find but I've heard amazing things from a few people that own their backpack.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/434817/Atlas_Laptop_Backpack_fits_Screens_up_to_173-_Black

Does anyone have any recommendations for a backpack that can hold a 17.3" laptop?

AspiringToFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:26:18 PM »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 10:02:51 AM »

I have this one:

https://shop.samsonite.com/promo-inclusion-list/samsonite-tectonic-17%22-perfect-fit-laptop-backpack/515311073.html

I like it.

Thanks! How long have you had it? How well has it stood up?

When it's full how comfortable are the straps?

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:28:22 PM »
I could be totally off about this, but doesn't a briefcase or messenger bag style of laptop case look more professional, while a backpack is inherently what college kids use?

It's been a couple years (ok, four and a half) since I was traveling for a professional office, but at that point we all used something like the first link below, not a backpack.  Comments, anyone?  (If I'm out of date, I might as well fix it now.  But the first Google suggestion for "messenger bag 17" was "messenger bag 17.3 inch laptop"; the links below looked to me like best value of the first 5 results.)

Simple version, $24:
https://express.google.com/u/0/product/14062983467867770278_9717393142298536954_6136318?mall=Northwest&directCheckout=1&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=product_ads&utm_campaign=gsx&dclid=CJitpKnUpNkCFQd3AQodq3wNPg

Kenneth Cole version from Overstock, $64:
https://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/Briefcases/3092/cat.html?featuredproduct=14446395&featuredoption=24063603&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=21010253-000-000&cid=248968&gclid=CjwKCAiAtorUBRBnEiwAfcp_Y45PxSHbZdW_zrcK3jGNaLQvddvOplkSHfAtnuOkGYjrvRm_CCNOXRoCsdkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

AspiringToFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 11:40:57 PM »

I have this one:

https://shop.samsonite.com/promo-inclusion-list/samsonite-tectonic-17%22-perfect-fit-laptop-backpack/515311073.html

I like it.

Thanks! How long have you had it? How well has it stood up?

When it's full how comfortable are the straps?

I've had it since Fall 2016. Found it at Office Depot. Used it several times a week hauling a heavy computer from office to car to house for about 8 months. Then moved closer to work and used it a couple of times a week for a couple months walking back and forth to the office about 1.5 miles each way. Eventually the computer had a problem and I took the opportunity to switch to a smaller, lighter computer and bag to make the walk easier. I still use the Samsonite bag for walking to get groceries once or twice a week.

It has held up well. I see no obvious signs of wear.

I think the straps are comfortable when it's full - nicely padded, and contoured nicely to fit under the arms. Nice lumbar padding also.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 01:54:15 PM »
I could be totally off about this, but doesn't a briefcase or messenger bag style of laptop case look more professional, while a backpack is inherently what college kids use?

Yeah that's the impression a lot of people have, and since I'm looking to look more professional these impressions count. My boss HATED that I would use a backpack and kept insisting I use this rollerbag thing that I absolutely hated.

A messenger bag looks more professional but I don't like a single strap. After a while it still puts more pressure on my shoulders than a backpack does.

I believe that backpacks are becoming more accepted in a professional environment, so long as you do show up in a Jansport. As evidence here is a WSJ article about it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-execs-are-ditching-briefcases-for-backpacks-1507822861

ruraljuror

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 08:10:44 PM »
https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-professional-slim-laptop-backpack/249582?productid=10230513.

Check out Ebags. I have the weekender version of this pack and it's great. You can easily stow the shoulder straps for a more professional look. I travel almost weekly and it's holding up well.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 08:47:56 AM »
I have something very much like this that's for a 17" laptop since late 2010/early 2011. It doesn't get very regular use though, weekly at some point, closer to monthly now, with several times a year of travel.
It looks very much college-kid'y, but I suspect you'll get that with 99% of laptop backpacks.
That zipper to split the laptop compartment is super handy for travel, though, if that's something you'll be doing often.
The only thing I thing I wish this backpack has is a waist strap to better distribute the weight, but it's not too bad as it is.

https://www.ebags.com/product/swissgear-travel-gear/1900-scansmart-backpack/205059?productid=10111179

This is the second SwissGear backpack I've owned, because they do hold up. My first one held up (a smaller one for 15" laptop) with near daily use for ~7 years with no obvious signs of wear at the end of it.

If you don't want backpack, there's something like this.
Have this one too, but doesn't get nearly a regular use as the backpack unless both of us are taking laptops somewhere.

https://www.frys.com/product/7433965?source=google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhcXMneu02QIVFdlkCh0E_gp2EAkYDCABEgJ72PD_BwE

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 01:07:58 PM »
+1 for Samsonite backpacks. I've had one for almost 7 years now carrying a laptop every day.

Still does the job, doubles as a nice(r) travel pack too.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 07:07:46 PM »
Not sure if you're still looking, but I was in MicroCenter (in St Louis Park) today and they have a whole aisle of bags, with quite a few that looked professional. I was in and out so didn't think to check how many would hold a larger laptop until I'd already left.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 08:03:33 PM »
+2 (+3?) for the samsonite backpack.

By far the best laptop backpack I've ever had, hands down. Incredibly durable, still looks new and I've been hauling it around for years.