Author Topic: Quick car advice  (Read 2646 times)

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
Quick car advice
« on: January 13, 2018, 11:49:01 AM »
I had a 12 year old honda, never had a problem, 104000 miles.  Bb value was 4000.  Yesterday it died...cracked engine block.  Repair costs are 5300 plus tax.

I was planning to Fire in next year and travel the world.  Was hoping to drive the honda until i left.

I need advice on
1.  What should i do with existing car.  Its at the dealer service but i need to move it...he will give me a few days...only offer is 270 from car salvage.  Towing is free.
2.  Advice on what to buy.  Was thinking about transit connect to do some van camping...no good prices on used...like $10000 for one with 200k miles!  If not a van, a sedan with good mileage and resale value.

Reynolds531

• Bristles
Re: Quick car advice
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 12:23:30 PM »
Tow to an independent garage, put $2000 in a used engine. If you leave it at dealer I guarantee one of the guys does this and sells the car privately.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 02:30:17 PM »
I will not leave at dealer.  At minimum will take the $270.

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 02:36:48 PM »
Tow to an independent garage, put $2000 in a used engine. If you leave it at dealer I guarantee one of the guys does this and sells the car privately.
This. Helped a friend shop around a few years ago for exactly this problem and this price is about the same as what we got.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 03:21:37 PM »
I should mention, it also needs oil change, new front brakes, the tires are not super new...i was actually scheduled to get these done next Monday before the unexpected happened.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 03:41:49 PM »
Definitely junkyard motor from a wrecked car time. :)

You want one from one that's smashed up, preferably in the rear, because if the body is in good shape, the car is there either for motor or transmission issues.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 05:11:41 PM »
Anyone have any recommendations on people that can do this in Seattle eastside area?  I don't know any good service shops.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 05:36:20 PM »
Look along the Monroe/Duvall/Carnation line. It's as redneck as you can get that side on the mountains, in a good way.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 03:02:23 PM »
You might also look into having the independent garage install a new or remanufactured engine.  You never know what you're going to get with a used engine.  The engine itself will probably cost 1-2k, then you'll have to pay for labor to install it.  So it will cost you more than a used engine, but it will come with a warranty, whereas it is possible you could dump 2k into installing a used engine and have it die a few months later.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 02:40:34 PM »
My brother in law does auto work.  He estimated with labor, this would be much closer to $3000.  I also needed brake work and tires are well used, so I decided to scrap it.

I'm buying a van and doing an inexpensive conversion to mini-RV (already have the "bed" and seeing what else I have around the house to decorate & furnish. )