Author Topic: Question regarding Canadian Mat Leave Program  (Read 2754 times)

WESTOFTHEHUDSON

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Question regarding Canadian Mat Leave Program
« on: August 18, 2014, 03:41:42 PM »
Prior to 2014, I was working a minimum wage part time job one to two shifts a week to stay busy  and get out of the house a bit from raising young kids. This year, I accepted a Full time one year contract (covering for someone else who was on maternity leave) making a greatly increased salary.

My contract will end in a few weeks and I'm expecting another baby. There will be a gap of about 10 weeks between my contract ending and my expected due date. The part time job asked if I would consider coming back one or two shifts a week.

I wouldn't mind as it's an enjoyable job and I like my co-workers there and the flexibility (I can work anytime I want for as much or as little as I'd like). But I'm worried that if I do that, it'll bring down my mat leave amount as isn't it an average of the last 6 months of wages?  I don't have to work shifts at this part time other than because I want to. I'd rather not lower my own mat leave amount as I can stay busy without the work if it means a larger mat leave.

Thanks!

Meggslynn

• Bristles
Re: Question regarding Canadian Mat Leave Program
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 04:27:38 PM »
There is lots of factors that come into play here.

First, is the last 52 weeks up to a maximum of $48,600. Do your earnings surpass that or are they below.

I think taking the job wouldn't lower it. For example lets say you only worked the ten months out the last 12 making $40000 you would get 55% of that so $22,000. Or you take the part time job and work the last two months you would bump your income up to $43000, you would get 55% of that so $23650.

HOWEVER, I would suggest called EI as I deal with them on a professional level all the time and they are always changing their rules.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 06:35:55 PM »
I think Meggslynn is on the right track.  As far I know, it is your last 12 months insurable earnings that your benefit is based on.  I don't think there is any calculation of weekly averages.  Definitely best to check with Service Canada, the website may also further explain.

WESTOFTHEHUDSON

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 07:26:40 PM »
Thank you both for replying. I wasn't sure but will take the advice to call them and double check. I enjoy going there but didn't want to jeopardize anything (as I was making under the 48,600 threshold).

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 08:06:01 PM »
Make certain to ask if you can get mat leave even if you are unemployed for up to two months prior to child.

You may need active work status to qualify, which would make your decision whether to take leave two months early, if possible,, or take reduced benefit.

Note,
You can make up to $50 per week while on parental leave portion too, without benefit reduction, FYI.  But check my facts, this is from memory.

WESTOFTHEHUDSON

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 08:56:47 PM »
I did call regarding that and they said I am still eligible to collect since I've met my hours, I just can't collect any earlier than 8 weeks before the due date.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!