Author Topic: Prius Car Tire Recommendations Needed! Actual owners please. Thanks!  (Read 3679 times)

sobezen

• Bristles
Looking for recommendations from MMM readers who actually own a Toyota Hybrid Prius.  I have a 2013 Hybrid Prius and I need to change four tires.  Mainly freeway and light city driving, averaging about 100 miles per day.  No long road trips or snow use.  Research has yielded conflicting information.   

Four questions:
1)  What manufacturer and model tires did you purchase?  Please list source (urls appreciated).
2)  How long did you drive the tires for before problems appeared?
3)  What was your experience with the tires?  List any concerns and praise.
4)  Would you recommend the specific tires you purchased for a new Prius tire purchase?

Thanks in advance.  Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:07:19 PM by sobezen »

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
Re: Prius Car Tire Recommendations Needed! Actual owners please. Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 05:06:25 PM »

1)  What manufacturer and model tires did you purchase?  I purchased Michelin Defender XT I believe is the model. I got them from Costco. They were about $200 off or something like that. They include all the stuff in installation as well as I believe new TPMS sensors. Oh and they also include free lifetime tire balancing.
2)  How long did you drive the tires for before problems appeared? No problems to report, they are good all around tires.
3)  What was your experience with the tires?  They stop good, cruise well, corner okay (Hey it's a Prius), and are not overly loud. I drove from TX to CA with them and had no complaints.
4)  Would you recommend the specific tires you purchased for a new Prius tire purchase? Yes, I would recommend them for sure.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:00:23 PM by Thinkum »

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 08:21:03 PM »
Good information Thinkum.  Checked Costco and they do not carry the make and model you described.  How long ago did you buy it?

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 09:10:41 PM »
I think I bought them last year. I checked online my local Costco and they do not have them either. I'm sure you can find the equivalent from Tire Rack or Discount Tire. The XT is a tread design only sold at Costco like stores according to Michelin's website. Per their site: ""XT" sidewall marking = Defender XT tread design. available at Wholesale Clubs." Site: Michelin

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 05:31:49 PM »
Thanks again Thinkum!

Any other Mustachians own a Prius?  Don't be shy.  Come on chime in!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 06:17:07 PM »
We just bought Continental TrueContact tires a few months ago and they're working fine. No complaints. Road noise is low and rolling resistance is also low (= slightly higher gas mileage compared to the Bridgestone stock tires).

Both the above Defenders and the TrueContacts are Consumer Reports' recommended tires.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 05:23:29 AM »
I've got the Yokohama AVID Ascend on my 2007. I actually got them for free, when I got a flat on the previous tires, brought the flat into the local Toyota dealership, and they said, "We can't let you out of here with your current tires. Toyota has told us they aren't safe enough, you need 4 new ones." Since my current tires had little wear and were only a couple of years old, they put the new ones on for free.*

So, they perform similarly to or better than the previous, as far as I can tell. Mileage is much the same; handling in dry, rainy, icy, or snowy conditions has been good. I've had them for ~5 years (30-40k miles) now, I think, no problems at all. I'd recommend them.

*Not the first time this dealership has avoided gouging me - I'm actually quite impressed.

Rcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 07:29:41 AM »
Owner of two, now one Lexus ct200's, same drivetrain as your Prius. I was happy with the stock Michelins mxm4 IIRC, but also had a set of CONTINENTAL TRUECONTACT SLs. Happy with those too. Both LRR (low rolling resistance). I am picky about road noise, and wasn't disappointed.

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 12:05:28 PM »
Thank you to everyone who shared their tire purchases.  I researched the tires you all suggested and ended up purchasing four new Michelin X Tour A/S T + H tires (with 80k warranty) from Costco.  https://tires.costco.com/product.aspx?ItemNo=1164228&SearchID=1535b5fd-e210-4e55-bf65-f4b252862a07
If anyone cares these are on sale $70 off (set of four) until 9/24/17.  Four tires will cost $86.49 plus installation and TPMS service fees.  Total spend was $461.51.

@ Maenad:  You were so lucky!  Congrats!

@ bacchi and Rcc:  Agree noise is very important.

Thanks for your help fellow Mustachians!  Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:07:48 PM by sobezen »