Sun Hat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« on: January 19, 2018, 09:44:26 AM »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 10:34:15 AM by Sun Hat »

Ceredwyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Planning for next generation's real estate purchases
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 10:22:34 AM »
I'll tackle your last question "what am I missing" - consider your assumption that property prices "average about 5%/year except for very rural areas" and ask yourself whether that is an unbiased best estimate for the future or just a straight line extrapolation of the somewhat recent past. For example, between 1981 and 2002 the average real change in canadian house prices was zero according to the Dallas Federal Reserve's Canada International Real House Price Index.

No one knows the future. Maybe it will keep going up by 5% a year but I don't see why you would assume that for the purpose of 20+ year projections. That said, if you think that assumption is a good one then the easy answer to your question is to buy two cash flow positive rental properties and give them to your niece/nephew in the future at which point they can either keep them or sell them to buy a similar property elsewhere.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:23:38 AM »
5% a year for the past several year sounds right, but that's not forever. There are periods of depreciation and stagnation. Between rising interest rates and new mortgage regs we can expect house prices to drop over the next little while. We're already seeing it - a year ago things were selling quickly, and for more than they are now. I'm currently looking for an investment property and things are just sitting on the market for long periods, and eventually selling under asking. It's drastically different than when I bought a year ago and there was a sense of urgency because nothing was sticking around for long.

I think that in the long run, the cost of housing is tied to local wages, at least in markets where there isn't global demand. Vancouver and Toronto are their own thing, but our city? Much more moderate.

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 10:40:52 AM »
5% a year for the past several year sounds right, but that's not forever. There are periods of depreciation and stagnation. Between rising interest rates and new mortgage regs we can expect house prices to drop over the next little while. We're already seeing it - a year ago things were selling quickly, and for more than they are now. I'm currently looking for an investment property and things are just sitting on the market for long periods, and eventually selling under asking. It's drastically different than when I bought a year ago and there was a sense of urgency because nothing was sticking around for long.

I think that in the long run, the cost of housing is tied to local wages, at least in markets where there isn't global demand. Vancouver and Toronto are their own thing, but our city? Much more moderate.

They are, but that doesn't mean prices can't increase faster than wages for a long time because of leverage. 

i had assumed that real estate prices had to come back down in major urban areas.  But if you make the assumption that (1) wage gains in major urban centers will on average continue to outpace inflation for non-housing items, (2) people are always going to continue to be willing to be house poor, (3) living in cities will continue to offer the best work opportunities, and (4) people will continue to buy primary homes with 20% to as little as 3.5% downpayments, then home prices can grow faster than wages more or less indefinitely. 

I think what is going to bring housing down in most major urban areas (at least in the U.S.) will be less demand as a result of continued migration towards lower tax jurisdictions as federal tax law shields less and less of the burden of state taxes. 

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 02:08:31 PM »
The sentiment is nice, but is that really the best use of that money? Giving them a "gift" that ties them to a monthly payment they admittedly can't afford and keeps them in one location that requires lots of maintenance?

It's great you want to do something nice for them, but giving a 25-27 year old a $150k incentive to buy a home they couldn't/wouldn't otherwise buy doesn't seem like the best use of the money to me. Just because that's you and your sister's version of a happy life doesn't mean it will be for the kids.

If they have their shit together they won't need the gift, so maybe use some of it over the years to help make sure they have their shit together? Help pay for a study abroad in school or a few overseas trips, pay for some expenses during college or the first month's rent for their apartment near their summer internship, help them start an investment account when they are in/graduate college and put a few thousand in it for them. You could even start an investment account right now in your name and add a certain relatively low amount every year with it earmarked for each of them, and give it to them when they turn whatever age. Use that as the example of savings and investments adding up over time.

I'm sure you can come up with plenty of other options, but giving them money with the stipulation that it must be used on a house purchase just seems like forcing them into a decision that may not be the best for them.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 03:11:16 PM »
The fact that people are worried about future generation's ability to afford to buy a house tells me one big thing: there will be a correction. If home values are too high, then at some point they will decrease. Realistically, there's a ton of property owned by the Baby Boomer generation, and the Baby Boomers will die. I'd expect that to help reset some markets. If you can't afford a $400k house, you're not buying a $400k house. At some point the $400k house will drop to whatever the market will bear.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 04:41:35 AM »
Torontonian here so I understand the insane cost of housing. My parents helped us with a down payment for a condo. But they didn’t gift us the money. They saved it up in an investment fund (index fund), and let it grow over time. Then, when I came time for me to purchase a place, they walked me through the math. First, they worked with me to make sure I could afford the monthly mortgage payment and other expenses associated with owning a home. Then we looked at how much I already had saved, and how much mortgage I qualify for. Then we looked at the gap between what I had saved and the down payment+closing costs. They LOANED me the difference with a 0% loan.

Teaching me the process of figuring out how to afford a home was more valuable than the actual gift of the money.

In your case, perhaps save up the money. Then when it’s time for your nieces to purchase their own place, walk them through the process - give them the gift of financial knowledge and wisdom - and then you can offer to help as much or as little depending on their personality and situation and whether they will waste the money. Definitely don’t let them grow up thinking their relative will buy them a house when they’re older.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 07:16:34 AM »
Those are good books. I think I read The Wealthy Barber when I was 15 or 16.

Subsidizing further education is also often a good idea. We have a couple family members to which we give monetary gifts to help with tuition, but only if they maintain a good GPA.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 09:42:31 PM »
In my case I'm doing absolutely nothing for my college-age son, as he's on track to make a salary twice mine his first year out of college ;) and has stated he prefers not to buy for at least 10 years.

My finances aside, I had a conversation about this topic with relatives a couple of years ago after they were overly enthusiastic about the fact I own (mortgaged) a house.

My son and all of his friends that routinely come over are not planning to buy in the foreseeable future. All of them, with a huge variety in their current schooling and economic backgrounds, do not want to be tied to one geographic location in their 20s and possibly through their 30s.

In conversations with them, they see absolutely no social status in owning a home (which is the opposite feeling of my 60-70 year old relatives). They do see social status in being able to move for better opportunities, both job related and personal.

I absolutely love that you are thinking this way already. But I agree with not getting too hung up on funding housing specifically.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 11:52:39 PM »
I like the idea of matching investments as well. How will you keep them from purchasing an investment and then immediately selling after receiving your match?

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 06:25:37 AM »
I like the idea of matching investments as well. How will you keep them from purchasing an investment and then immediately selling after receiving your match?

Yeah, I'd vote for giving them an interest rate rather than a match.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 07:39:09 AM »
People don't need to own houses/real estate to live amazing wonderful lives so I wouldn't look at the situation like those kids will either get into RE [and win!] or not get into RE [and lose!]. Bottom line you want them to have someplace comfortable/safe to live so they can realize their life goals. Renting is not an obstacle to achieving a great life.

So I like you approach later in the thread OP where you are going to help pass on some knowledge and perhaps match savings with them.

Looking back at my formative years I paid attention to all the adults around me and made a note of the ones whose lives looked awesome to me and then got into the details of those people. That pointed me towards a university education, high level of communications skills, no debt, and high paying job.

I think the best gift you can give those kids is 1) be a great role model and 2) share your knowledge experience with them and 3) support them in achieving their life goals. These are way more important than a trust fund or a lump sum gift in cash to buy a house.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 08:32:14 PM »
I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. By the time I went to college in the mid-90s, my family (mostly grandpa) had managed to amass $20,000 in my college savings brokerage account.

I got good grades (3.6 high school GPA) and drew equivalent 4 year scholarship offers at two universities, the State U and a locally respected private college. I went to the State U because it would allow me to graduate without debt. In fact, I managed to pay for living expenses and books throughout college on part-time work and leave the $20k untouched.

Three years out of college and aged 23, I spent the $20k as the vast majority of my house down payment. My friends were stunned. I believe this is the outcome you're hoping for, OP. It took a lot of the right decisions on my part: good grades, cheap college, low spending during college, working PT during college, avoiding debt, and choosing to continue to live in a LCOL area.

In hindsight, it was all suboptimal. I exactly followed the advice of my baby boomer parents and their peers to "buy as much house as you can afford" because it always goes up in value and also so you "don't have to upgrade later". So there I was, the only person living in a ten year old 3BR/2BA 1600sf house in the suburbs. Worse, I lost the flexibility to pursue better jobs across geography at that critical time when my earnings trajectory was just getting started. Even worse, I could have bought Amazon.com for $20/share with the $5,000 I spent tiling the bathroom or the $5,000 I spent on HVAC, or the $5,000 I spent on exterior repairs (NEVER buy a 10 year old builder's grade house). At least the mortgage was cheaper than renting a 2BR apartment.

----------------

What will the next generation think of all this? We can't say for sure. They'll make their own decisions just as I made mine. Several friends of mine went to expensive colleges and left with debts many times higher than my $20k trust fund. Others goofed off in high school and went without the benefit of scholarships. Others bought a single new car - enough to destroy my entire trust fund. There are so many right choices that have to be made in a row. My college savings gave me the flexibility to do lots of things, and I did some things right, others not so well.

Last, I wonder why big HCOL cities still exist at all. Hundreds of millions of people driving cars from their overpriced building to someone else's overpriced building to work on the internet at that location. Find the inefficiency there. Then tell me what 20 years from now looks like.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!