Author Topic: Phone screener: when the interviewer asks why you're looking to leave?  (Read 9588 times)

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
Re: Phone screener: when the interviewer asks why you're looking to leave?
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2021, 03:32:30 PM »
Unfortunately I think you are already past the point where you should have discussed things like signing bonus.

Unless somethign extraordinary happens once you've countered and they meet your counter I would say negotiations are pretty much over.

Congrats on the offer, glad you got the job you wanted!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2021, 04:14:52 PM »
Would you guys suggest trying to have at least 1-2 [unpaid] weeks off between the jobs? So if my background check and drug test come back clean by next Monday, I give notice for my last day to be Oct 1st and then set my start date to be 10/18? We're planning to move into the new place on 10/10 hopefully, so I'm thinking this would be good.

My wife was pointing out the lost salary opportunity but I'd feel inclined just to get out ASAP with standard two weeks' notice once the background/drug tests clear. I already told the new company that I'd probably be looking to start 10/18 since we have a move on 10/10 and they didn't indicate that this would be a problem and that my background checks would just need to have passed by then. They recommended not to give notice to the current company until the testing has completed and passed of course...

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2021, 04:27:10 PM »
I agree it's too late to negotiate anything beyond the deal you already asked for and received. if you asked for anything new, it would be highly unlikely to result in anything except making you look bad. as long as the written offer matches your present understanding sign it and move forward, congratulations!

i think 2 weeks off is very smart!
you have a lot to do for the house and with your family/personal life. it's perfect to have time off fall the way you described so you can show up fresh to your new gig.
in the big picture of your career, a couple weeks of lost pay doesn't matter at all. and since you're in CA won't you have some unused vacation time paid out?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #153 on: September 14, 2021, 05:23:56 AM »
I would absolutely take time off between jobs.

I don't understand the rationale not to.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: September 14, 2021, 05:53:14 AM »
Congrats on the new job!

I agree with the others, start date is the only thing left that's negotiable.  Try to enjoy 2-4 weeks off.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: September 14, 2021, 06:34:19 AM »
It's not common that you can get offers rescinded for attempting negotiation.

This situation I'd describe as high risk, though.

It's hard to really evaluate without specifics though. This could be an amazing offer or terrible one too.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: September 16, 2021, 10:43:38 AM »
BTW:

Haven't had to do this remotely before so not really sure but what's the best process to go about tendering resignation? Do I schedule a call with my immediate manager first and let him know and give 2-weeks' notice? Then follow-up with an email? Or a formal letter in document/PDF format attached to an email sent to him?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: September 16, 2021, 10:46:30 AM »
It doesn't matter one bit so long as the intent is clear. Do what you feel is right.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: September 16, 2021, 10:47:17 AM »
Telling your manager in person/over the phone if you are working remotely is a courtesy.  Following it up in writing (in any format you wish, subject to general rules of politeness) is a necessity.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: September 16, 2021, 10:51:11 AM »
Call first before sending the letter.   I thought it was professional to talk to my direct manager the day before I made it official with a letter and told everyone else.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: September 16, 2021, 10:57:15 AM »
Should I schedule a call/meeting or just ping him and ask if he has a minute to talk? My issue with scheduling is that he'd reject the request and delay/defer it to a later date because he's so busy or whatever.

I do have a 1x1 with him on Friday but I was instructed by the new place, out of precaution, not to give my official notice until my background check and drug screen have passed.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 11:01:39 AM by jeromedawg »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #161 on: September 16, 2021, 12:27:28 PM »
Should I schedule a call/meeting or just ping him and ask if he has a minute to talk? My issue with scheduling is that he'd reject the request and delay/defer it to a later date because he's so busy or whatever.

I do have a 1x1 with him on Friday but I was instructed by the new place, out of precaution, not to give my official notice until my background check and drug screen have passed.

You're over thinking again. You absolutely do not need to do anything other than give written notice. If you feel it's right to have a phone call about it, then go about that however you feel is best, but it's a pure courtesy, so there's no rule as to how you do it. As an employer, I always hated when people tried to talk to me first before giving their notice. If it's a done deal, just give it to me in writing and stop wasting my time with your platitudes and feelings. If I care about what you have to say, I'll schedule an exit interview, otherwise, don't make some big dog and pony show about it.

My point is not that your manager wouldn't appreciate a call, it's that maybe they would and maybe they wouldn't. You know your relationship with them best, so do what feels right to you because at the end of the day, it really isn't all that important. It's just business.

Don't let this take up real estate in your brain, you have enough going on in there already. Just establish the official notice date, and go from there.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2021, 08:11:44 AM »
Got cleared on the BG check and drug screen so I'm good to give notice and will probably do it today. Planning to keep it short and sweet:

"I am writing to inform of my resignation from XXXXXX. My last day will be Monday 10/4/21, two weeks from today. I have decided to pursue another opportunity outside the company.

Even though it has been a short time working with you, I appreciate all that you've done to help and support me. It has been a pleasure working with you and everyone the team.

Please let me know how I can assist with the transition during this time."

Last week, my manager rescheduled our 1x1 for tomorrow so I figure we can talk about this then, assuming he'll want to.

Related question - would it be weird to request a flex/personal holiday I need to use up *before* I send out the resignation letter? Or should I request it after I do that?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 08:32:40 AM by jeromedawg »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2021, 08:41:49 AM »
Personally I'd say "my last day of employment will be X and I intend to take the flex/personal holiday I am owed on Y".

But it doesn't matter much, the big news is you are going and everything else is incidental.  Congrats on making progress through it all.

youngwildandfree

• Stubble
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2021, 09:04:18 AM »
Congrats on the new job and the time off with your family!

I would delete the part saying "Even though it has been a short time working with you", but it's not a big deal if you keep it. It just seems wordy, unnecessary, and like you are apologizing for your decision.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2021, 09:38:07 AM »
Congrats on the new job and the time off with your family!

I would delete the part saying "Even though it has been a short time working with you", but it's not a big deal if you keep it. It just seems wordy, unnecessary, and like you are apologizing for your decision.

Thanks. I'll remove that additional part.

Personally I'd say "my last day of employment will be X and I intend to take the flex/personal holiday I am owed on Y".

But it doesn't matter much, the big news is you are going and everything else is incidental.  Congrats on making progress through it all.

I ended up just submitting for the time-off and will probably wait to submit the letter until closer towards the end of my manager's day.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!