Author Topic: Pay more for HSA-eligible marketplace plan?  (Read 1801 times)

NancyRose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Pay more for HSA-eligible marketplace plan?
« on: November 07, 2018, 01:55:59 PM »
Need some help.

I'm a small business owner who buys health insurance from the ACA exchange.  My kids' dad covers the kids so I only buy for myself.  Annual income is around 100,000.

I've narrowed my choices down to two high-deductible plans - one that is not HSA eligible for $425/month and one that is HSA eligible for $453/month.  The $425/month plan covers doctor visits for $35, generic drugs for $30.  The $453/month plan covers doctor visits and generic drugs at 50% after deductible.  I'll likely never hit the deductible for either plan.

My actual "usage" based on the past several years is no more than 1-3 doctor visits, including an annual checkup, and one very affordable prescription. 

I do not currently have an HSA account, but if I did (thanks to all the mustachian moves I've been implementing) I would likely be able to contribute the max amount every year. 

Thoughts?  Do the potential tax savings justify the difference in cost?  The "all-in" calculator estimates that my annual costs will be $300 more with the HSA-eligible plan...

I appreciate your help!

-NancyRose

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Pay more for HSA-eligible marketplace plan?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 04:23:59 PM »
The "all-in" calculator estimates that my annual costs will be $300 more with the HSA-eligible plan...
Don't know what the "all-in" calculator is, but it might be worth putting your numbers into a couple more comparison tools, e.g., Health Savings Account (HSA) vs. Traditional Health Plan and the 'HDHP Analysis' tab of the case study spreadsheet.  If you get the same general answer from all, it's probably correct.  If you get different answers, ...?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!