Author Topic: Opinions on foam mattresses, please  (Read 6293 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Opinions on foam mattresses, please
« on: December 03, 2017, 03:40:33 PM »
I need a new mattress. I have bought a double bed frame from Ikea, and presently have an air mattress on it, but that is not feasible long term.  Ikea has some nice-looking foam mattresses, and of course Jim Collins has that massively favourable review of the Tuft & Needle foam mattress.  Anyone have any experience with either? Good or bad?

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
Re: Opinions on foam mattresses, please
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 03:56:37 PM »
I bought a T&N a bit more than a year ago.  It was my first form mattress.  I think it's great.  Though I don't plan to need a new mattress for a long time, I'd buy another without a second thought.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 04:12:33 PM »
I've had one of the Ikea memory foam mattresses for slightly over seven years and it rocks. It is still in as good of shape as when we brought it home. Not sure which model but I believe it was $299 for the queen size.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 04:30:06 PM »
I have a foam mattress I got from Costco ~6 months ago. It's awesome. My husband has severe back issues, and it's been great even for that.

It was also priced cheaper than an equivalent IKEA version, and Costco's return policy is much more generous. You may want to look into that, since a $65 membership would be pretty easy to justify if it saves you on a mattress.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 05:05:55 PM »
Merula, Costco USA or Canada?  I have a Canadian membership already.  I too have back issues, so if you can remember which mattress (if they have more than one) that would be helpful.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 06:08:38 PM »
We bought the Zinus memory foam mattress (same one that Frugalwoods recommend) and just set it up today, seems really comfy so far.

The mattress is here: http://amzn.to/2nqc2aY

We also bought a box spring from Amazon: http://amzn.to/2jIy17Z

Total for mattress and box spring is currently about $315 + tax for a queen size.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »
We bought the Zinus memory foam mattress (same one that Frugalwoods recommend) and just set it up today, seems really comfy so far.

Total for mattress and box spring is currently about $315 + tax for a queen size.

Amazon.ca has it too.  Does it need a box spring?  I have slats with the Ikea bed frame, so theoretically no need for a box spring.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 08:14:44 PM »
If you have slats it should be fine.  We just have a very low frame and wanted it raised up higher, so we grabbed that box spring as well.

wawot1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 10:16:41 PM »
Bought an Ikea foam mattress about 3 or 4 months ago....very happy with it.   Cost a small fraction of brand name mattresses.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 11:38:46 PM »

I bought this same mattress and put it atop IKEA bed slats.  No box spring needed.  It's comfortable, but I preferred something softer.  So I got a Red Nomad memory foam topper to go over.  It's very comfortable now. The topper itself was $90, but still I only paid $300 for my mattress set up all said and done.

Btw I had also purchased a Signature Sleep mattress before.  It was extremely hard and another foam topper was definitely needed.  The Zinus Tea mattress is superior IMO.

I've heard good things about Tuft and Needle, and they have some pretty cool practices. Haven't ever slept on one, however. And they're a bit more expensive.

vivian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 05:25:13 AM »
Do foam mattresses stand up to jumping kids? We will be buying our son a regular mattress (non-toddler bed size) soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 06:12:16 AM »
We bought a Queen-size memory foam mattress from Costco (US) last year. It is very comfortable, and we would definitely buy another one.

This is the one we bought:

Your Order
NovaForm® Deluxe Comfort Memory Foam Queen Mattress - Item# 596343    Standard Ground    $399.99   

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 06:15:46 AM »
I recommend finding the cheapest, but still decent quality one and then buying a topper. That's probably going to be Sleep Innovations or Zinus. The topper makes ALL the difference unless you prefer a firm mattress.

For me it's been harder to find a foam setup I can tolerate vs being able to sleep on mostly any spring mattress.

Do foam mattresses stand up to jumping kids? We will be buying our son a regular mattress (non-toddler bed size) soon.

They're more of a deterrent than anything since you can't really jump on them. There's no springs so naturally there's no "spring".

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 06:18:16 AM »
We bought the mattress recommended on Frugalwoods (Lucid 8" Memory foam mattress, dual layered - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050JL32U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) about a month ago, and we are really enjoying it.  Less than $300 even for a King size.  I'm a back sleeper and my husband is a stomach sleeper, with both of us occasionally on our sides.  It is firm enough that we're both really comfortable in our regular sleeping position, but it conforms enough that if you sleep on your side, you don't feel like you're on a board or something.  It is just sitting directly on our new wood floor, too, so there's no extra give from a box spring or anything.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »
I too have a Tuft & Needle (over 1 year now) and love it.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 10:28:00 AM »
Have the Costco foam king mattress on a wood platform bed I built out of excess plywood and 4x4"s. It's great. I used to have lower back problems, even though I get up and walk around almost all day at work. This helped significantly. My father, who has a lumbar spine injury, also uses it.

It may be a little more expensive, but consider also sticking two or three 2" thick mattress topper foams, as the full thickness may be too much if you want a very firm mattress.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »
We have a 6-mo old 'Dreamfoam Bedding Arctic Dreams 10-Inch Cooling Gel Mattress, Queen' from Amazon, $250, made in USA.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013L4ZWWW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We really wanted a 'cooler' mattress as it's hot enough here in N Texas most of the year and our 8-yr old memory foam mattress, while fully functional, slept HOT. This new one is very very comfortable, like it a lot.

Good luck!

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 11:13:08 AM »
I have an Ikea Sultan (think those were discontinued) but LOVE the foam mattress and will never buy a spring mattress again.  much easier to keep even (not creating divets) and when my husband tosses and turns he doesn't wake me up anymore.  I never knew how much that was disrupting my sleep until it wasn't.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 11:38:43 AM »
Many years ago, I bought the Ikea Sultan mattress but it was too soft for me.  I have to sleep on a very firm mattress.  It's lost in memory how I came to this resolution but I looked into buying an actual foam mattress in its simplest form.  Below is the version I bought, but you can click back on the site to check out other versions.  I think the one I selected is the firmest one they sell.  Contact them if you have any questions, they're very responsive. 

I also ordered an egg-crate topper for better airflow as foam mattresses are notorious for trapping heat. I threw out my egg-crate topper this summer as it was getting pretty raggedy and had forgotten its purpose to fight trapping heat.  I had a difficult couple of weeks in September with waking up due to heat.  Then I remembered the whole heat/airflow issue.

I considered ordering a new egg-crate topper or a fancier mattress topper, but of course, being MMM, looked into the frugal suggestions of using a breathable blanket or cover instead.  I didn't need a topper to soften the mattress so any covering for cooling purposes was fine.  Initially I used a lightweight down comforter but with winter coming, I'll need it to be on top of me, not below.  Now I'm using a 100% wool blanket bought at a thrift store for $2.  Wool is breathable and moisture-wicking. 

https://www.foambymail.com/LHQ_2/lux-hq-foam-mattress.html

Krolik

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 12:30:45 PM »
We bought Tuft and Needle as our first foam mattress and unfortunately are returning it. I still think is it a great mattress for somebody who is looking for medium firm mattress. For us it was just too soft and didn't like the initial 'sink' which is typical for foam mattresses. We
ended up buying very firm from local discount outlet. But Tuft and Needle has great customer service and no problems with free returns (you donate it to local charity if you don't like it for a full refund) so it might be worth trying. Price is great for the quality they are offering.

MrGville

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 01:09:41 PM »
Anyone have problems with their foam mattress becoming very hard during the winter?  I am thinking about getting a foam mattress (probably zinus or t&n), but am worried about this problem because i have a memory foam pillow and it becomes a rock during the winter when my bedroom is cold.  It softens up after a few minutes from my body heat, but I do not want my entire bed to become hard during winter months.  THanks
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 01:13:12 PM by MrGville »

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 09:34:27 PM »
I know what you mean about the memory foam pillows, but we did not have that problem with the foam mattress. This is in Chicago, kept our house ~65 degrees in the winter.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 10:00:33 PM »

I bought this same mattress and put it atop IKEA bed slats.  No box spring needed.  It's comfortable, but I preferred something softer.  So I got a Red Nomad memory foam topper to go over.  It's very comfortable now. The topper itself was $90, but still I only paid $300 for my mattress set up all said and done.

Where did you buy the Red Nomad topper from?

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 11:02:16 PM »
We just went from a horrible spring mattress (recommended online, possibly in these forums) that completely lost its shape after two years of use to our first foam mattress made by a bed-in-a-box company called Bear. With a black Friday discount it was still pricier than others posted here but I like that they have a 90 day return policy. It’s very firm compared to what we’re used to and not super inviting to fall into but we wake up feeling much, much better than with our old lumpy mattress. Not sure if we’re gonna keep it yet, but so far it’s been alright.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 06:09:52 AM »
I have a foam mattress that I got off Amazon that I love.  The only problem that I'm noticing is that is wears down much faster on my SO's side.  I'm a reasonably thin chick and he is a larger than ideal dude.  We've had the mattress 3 or 4 years and it's starting to dip significantly on his side.  That probably would have happened with an inner spring mattress too at some point.  I'm not sure if the cost vs wear analysis would have us buying a foam or inner spring replacement.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 07:29:19 AM »
I have a foam mattress that I got off Amazon that I love.  The only problem that I'm noticing is that is wears down much faster on my SO's side.  I'm a reasonably thin chick and he is a larger than ideal dude.  We've had the mattress 3 or 4 years and it's starting to dip significantly on his side.  That probably would have happened with an inner spring mattress too at some point.  I'm not sure if the cost vs wear analysis would have us buying a foam or inner spring replacement.

Why not rotate it 180 degrees every few months? That way you can not only switch who sleeps on which side, but also where your head/feet are.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 08:18:13 AM »
Merula, Costco USA or Canada?  I have a Canadian membership already.  I too have back issues, so if you can remember which mattress (if they have more than one) that would be helpful.

US. It was the Novaform 14" Serafina Pearl Gel Queen.  Currently selling for USD $599, but it looks like it's also available at costco.ca for CAD $999.
https://www.costco.ca/Novaform%C2%AE-Serafina-Pearl-Memory-Foam-Queen-Mattress.product.10359386.html

Anyone have problems with their foam mattress becoming very hard during the winter?  I am thinking about getting a foam mattress (probably zinus or t&n), but am worried about this problem because i have a memory foam pillow and it becomes a rock during the winter when my bedroom is cold.  It softens up after a few minutes from my body heat, but I do not want my entire bed to become hard during winter months.  THanks

I haven't noticed any change in texture based on temperature, and I'm in Minnesota, but our mattress is on the firm side to begin with. This may be more noticeable with a softer mattress.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 10:55:38 AM »

Why not rotate it 180 degrees every few months? That way you can not only switch who sleeps on which side, but also where your head/feet are.

I have started doing that but it only redistributes the dip a bit.  My point is that a foam mattress doesn't last as long with heavier people sleeping on it.  Just something for the OP to take into consideration

cl_noll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2017, 06:40:46 PM »
Tuft and Needle owner here.  175 lb male side sleeper here.  T&N was too firm for me - I'd wake up sore or with a numb arm (which I usually stick under my head/pillow). I could have returned it, but in the end decided to buy a 1.5" foam topper for another $70 to make it more comfortable than go through the hassle.  I'm reasonably happy with it now, but still not 100% thrilled with it. That said, they actually lowered the price since when I bought in early 2017, so you at least you get a quality USA product vs Chinese foam.

sirspendstoomuch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 11:14:49 AM »
Bought a Zinus on amazon last week.  No complaints so far.  Having comfy sleeps.