Author Topic: One day in Salt Lake City. What to do ?  (Read 2771 times)

Krolik

• Stubble
One day in Salt Lake City. What to do ?
« on: May 16, 2018, 11:51:13 AM »
Hi All,

We will have one full day in Salt Lake City  in July. We will be driving back from Moab Canyon and then probably stop in SLC for one day before catching a plane back home. 
I have never been so my question is: what do you recommend we see / visit? ( we are traveling with a 7 year old)
I realize 1 day is not a lot but better than nothing ;-)

Thank you.

canyonrider

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: One day in Salt Lake City. What to do ?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 12:03:53 PM »
Get up into Little Cottonwood Canyon for the day to cool down. I would go on a short hike in Albion Basin, should be wildflower season.

Red Iguana in SLC for dinner.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 12:14:10 PM »
Get up into Little Cottonwood Canyon for the day to cool down. I would go on a short hike in Albion Basin, should be wildflower season.

Both great suggestions.  I always take visitors to Red Iguana, but note that the other location (Red Iguana 2) is just a couple of blocks away and usually has a shorter wait.  Cecret Lake in the Albion basin is about an hour hike, and you can start it from the parking lot of Alta ski resort, so it should be pretty doable with a 7-year old (there are longer hikes in the area as well if your kid is up for things like that). 

What kinds of things do you like to do?  The Dinosaur Museum at Thanksgiving Point (about 30 minutes south of SLC, but on your way from Moab) is usually a hit if your family likes science museums, as is the Clark Planetarium downtown.  If you are into pioneer history, This Is The Place state park is a great little pioneer village, near the University of Utah.  The Hogle Zoo is across the street, but assuming you have zoos where you're from, no need to make a special stop there in SLC.  If you like seeing cultural/religious places, Temple Square is definitely the unique sight to see in SLC.  There's a big family history library that I'm pretty sure does tours nearby downtown, if you like genealogy. 

canisius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 12:17:48 PM »
Drive up to Park City for the day, hike around the paths.  If you're insistent on staying in the city, visiting Temple Square and the complex is neat and beautiful even if you're not LDS.  Millcreek Canyon is one of my favorite parks.  Although, I don't recommend buying anything, being Mustachian and all, the City Creek Mall is neat to visit and walk around. 

My kids loved visiting the zoo, the library, and the children's museum.

I also second visiting the Red Iguana (with a kid, I actually find the Red Iguana 2 a little easier as it's more spread out) but get there early.  Great Mexican food and Moles.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 12:24:07 PM »
Drive up to Park City for the day, hike around the paths.  If you're insistent on staying in the city, visiting Temple Square and the complex is neat and beautiful even if you're not LDS.  Millcreek Canyon is one of my favorite parks.  Although, I don't recommend buying anything, being Mustachian and all, the City Creek Mall is neat to visit and walk around. 

My kids loved visiting the zoo, the library, and the children's museum.

I also second visiting the Red Iguana (with a kid, I actually find the Red Iguana 2 a little easier as it's more spread out) but get there early.  Great Mexican food and Moles.

I forgot about the children's museum!  Downtown SLC has an excellent children's museum.

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 01:36:40 PM »

Both great suggestions.  I always take visitors to Red Iguana, but note that the other location (Red Iguana 2) is just a couple of blocks away and usually has a shorter wait.  Cecret Lake in the Albion basin is about an hour hike, and you can start it from the parking lot of Alta ski resort, so it should be pretty doable with a 7-year old (there are longer hikes in the area as well if your kid is up for things like that). 

Cecret Lake is a great, pretty short, very poplar hike (and you don't have to stop at Cecret Lake if you don't want to, the trail continues past it and you can gauge how you feel on the fly). Bonus, the last few years I have seen moose at the lake, which is pretty neat, especially if you have never seen one in the wild before.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 01:43:55 PM »
The Natural History Museum by the University of Utah is great for all ages.  Park City is also nice if you like things like Jackson Hole or Vail.  I'd skip Temple Square.  Little Cottonwood Canyon is nice.  The Great Salt Lake is interesting but stinky.  The Salt Flats are interesting too.

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »
Oh! Antelope Island State Park is also interesting if you like wildlife/nature. Located north of the city maybe 30-45 minutes (it's within the Great Salt Lake). There are some historic structures/homesteads on the island, which are interesting in and of themselves, and if you are lucky you can see the interesting bison herd that lives on the island:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antelope_Island_bison_herd

(There are antelope, as well as other wildlife, too.)

Krolik

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 02:04:01 PM »
Thank you. All great suggestions. Makes it so much easier to plan the day.

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 02:21:55 PM »
Its gonna be hot & dry in July in SLC.

"This is the Place" is an ok historic village place and it has a splash pad. My kids had more fun here when they were younger than 7.

Snowbird has lots of summer family activities (zip lines, tram rides etc). Its on the south end of Salt Lake up Little Cottonwood Canyon (LCC). A pretty fun drive and will get you above the heat. Alta and the Cecret Lake hike are just past Snowbird. There are lots of pull offs going up the canyon to get out for short hikes. Lisa Falls is a good one for 7 yo. Heading to LCC from the highway 15 takes you past the Sandy Ampetheatre that has a cool free splash pad. Also Alta Rec Center with an out door swimming pool.

The next canyon north Big Cottonwood Canyon has Silver Lake hike at the top. Another kid friendly classic.

Snowbird or Silver Lakes are maybe a 30 minute detour from I-15.

I don't think the Gateway (childrens museum) is all that great. Natural History Museum is really good and unique to Utah.

I live near LCC and have a 7 yo. Let me know if you have more questions.

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 07:35:01 AM »

+1 on wildflowers in July up Albion Basin...and just enjoying L. Cottonwood. - lots of good hikes

- I would go catch a Bees game if they are in town

Other food destinations:
- Kouin Aman and coffee at Les Madeleine's in the a.m. (KILLER PASTRIES! and nice outdoor seating on a summer morning)
- Banh Mi at Oh Mai for lunch - perhaps to go before you drive up the canyon.

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 10:30:46 AM »
One more idea: Timpanogas Cave. It about 45 minutes south of SLC, you pass close on the drive from Moab to SLC. Its a short steep hike to the cave, but my 6 year old pulled it off just fine last summer. Make reservations for a cave tour ahead of time. Pretty neat guided cave tour, my kids loved it. Definitely something you won't find in Florida.

Rocketman

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »
If you want a nice drive in the Unita mountains, Highway 150 between Kamas UT and Evanston WY. (Don’t need to go all the way to Evanston). If you have time hike to Bald Mountain summit (2 miles) but you are at 11,942 ft elevation and about 2.000 foot gain).

Have Fun!

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 07:41:30 PM »
We had one afternoon/night in SLC a few months ago.

We stayed at a fancy pants hotel near downtown (Hotel Monaco - recommended), and just walked up to the state capital and walked around it, oohed and ahhed at the views, saw temple square, and had dinner at cheesecake factory near the mall.  We really enjoyed our time there.  The next morning we went to a little diner called The Park Cafe near Liberty Park (also recommended).

We loved that city and have decided that we'll go back sometime

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 07:44:28 AM »
^ Park Cafe is cool, there is often a long wait, but convenient to Liberty Park/Tracy Aviary. (Oh, there is a pretty decent aviary at Liberty Park if you like birds.)

There is also a place called Sweet Lake Biscuits and Limeade pretty near there (breakfast and lunch) that make a bunch of homemade -ades (the honeydew cucumber is awesome) and they have the best biscuits and gravy I have ever had, and I don't normally even go for that. SO good. Also pretty crowdy, popular.

Krolik

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 12:47:36 PM »
OP here with the update.

Thank you so much for all the tips. We completed our Utah trip last week and it was awesome. While in SLC on our way to Moab we did the Cercet Lake hike, Lisa's fall hike, Meadows in Albion basin, Temple square, downtown, planetarium. All the tips were very helpful so thanks again! I hope to be back, it is really beautiful place.