Author Topic: Nissan leaf $7.2k should I jump on this?  (Read 5527 times)

kevj1085

• Stubble
Nissan leaf $7.2k should I jump on this?
« on: January 14, 2017, 08:13:54 AM »
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5958342002.html

I currently own a 2008 Prius 135k miles on it gets 45mpg. Just came across this looks excellent condition and only 24k miles on it. If I sell my Prius for 4k that's only setting us back $3200 and we have a much newer car and fully electric. Would this be wise?

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Nissan leaf $7.2k should I jump on this?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 08:25:56 AM »
-what driving range do you need for everyday use?
-does it have a speed charger port?
-what does the latest battery report say? Is it still at 100%, or has it started to degrade?
-how has the owner treated the car? Has he/she charged to 80 or 100%? Has the car been left outside in hot sunshine with a fully charged battery?
-how will you charge it; at home, at work, on road trips, etc.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 08:34:02 AM »
As a Leaf owner who purchased a used 1.5 year old Leaf, I'd echo the previous comments.

Know that using the AC and central heating (not seat heaters or steering wheel heat) drains the battery significantly.

The 2013 doesn't yet have the lizard battery of the 2014 and newer (I think). So, that makes the hot AZ climate more of a concern.

We bought from MO, and we live in NE.

kevj1085

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 08:50:01 AM »
Thanks for these points! I didn't know any of this.

kevj1085

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 08:50:57 AM »
We drive around 50 miles a day and I would probably just charge at home

kevj1085

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 10:50:37 AM »
The guy said it was garage kept, flawless condition, he just needs a truck now for his new business. He also said battery is perfect and if anything were to happen to it the warranty would replace it w a new one, possibly the lizard style.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 11:36:43 AM »
Yes, the batteri can be replaced by warranty or you can buy a new one. But it is a hassle, and it will be at 70-80% before it can be considered at all. With a needed distance of 50 miles, you will be good even with a degraded battery. But I would ask for an updated battery analysis. It is a standard test, that costs almost nothing.

What did the seller say about speed charging?

kevj1085

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 12:22:54 PM »
I didn't ask, the ad I believe says comes w it.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 12:51:15 PM »
The answer is no. MMM is operating his as a business expense. Electric cars are 3-4 years from becoming the mainstream vehicles and much easier to obtain on the used market. A 4 year old Tesla 3 is worth it.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »
The answer is no. MMM is operating his as a business expense. Electric cars are 3-4 years from becoming the mainstream vehicles and much easier to obtain on the used market. A 4 year old Tesla 3 is worth it.

Could you clarify on why the answer is no?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 01:26:05 PM »
I'm not sure this car is a fantastic deal, but neither is it a terrible one if it meets your range requirements.

The leafs are great little city cars, for people who commute reasonably short distances.  They are cheap to buy and cheap to operate, and fun to drive.  The asking prices seem essentially proportional to mileage at this point, much more so than you would expect for a gasoline car, because of the anticipated battery degradation.  Particularly for an early model car (with the old battery chemistry) from a hot climate like AZ, battery damage is a real concern.

These cars are dirty cheap, though, because there are so many other EVs coming on the market now with better battery technology.  Including the new leafs.  That's really pushed the prices down.

I think the question is whether or not you really want a zippy 2013 small car.  If you do, you're unlikely to find a better one for a comparable price than a used leaf. 

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 01:51:51 PM »
Just to be clear, I'm not in any way arguing against an ev or a leaf, just ensuring that people ask the correct questions when buying their first one. In my experience from driving evs in different terrains and remote areas, and working to establish ev infrastructure in rural and urban areas, people generally overestimate the range they really need before they get their first ev. But range is also the one thing reason I've heard people citing for negative experiences with their EV. Except for that one carpentry business that bought a van before checking if it could pull a hanger.

Teslas are nice, but most people will get along just fine with a leaf, or even the smaller Mitsubishi Imiev or its triplets from Peugeot and Citroen. You just have to distinguish between wants and needs.

I don't know anything about local US car prices.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 02:08:32 PM »
Does your family have a second car?  I think the leaf is a perfect second car for almost everyone.  It's not a perfect "only" car for everyone.

For example, my family of five technically fits into our leaf, but we don't take it on long family vacations.  We have a minivan type SUV for that.

The leaf can't drive me all the way to Seattle and back without recharging while I'm there.  That's fine most of the time, but when I occasionally have to make that drive on short notice, for a quick turnaround, I'm thankful we have the SUV.  When I want to pick up furniture at Ikea, the leaf is not my car of choice.  When we want to tow a boat or a tent trailer, the leaf is not my car of choice.

But I don't go to Seattle or Ikea or tow something very often.  What I do virtually every day is drive around town, like to work or the grocery store or the library.  For the vast majority of our trips, the leaf is the better choice.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 02:12:44 PM by sol »

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 02:20:04 PM »
I'm not sure this car is a fantastic deal, but neither is it a terrible one if it meets your range requirements.

The leafs are great little city cars, for people who commute reasonably short distances.  They are cheap to buy and cheap to operate, and fun to drive.  The asking prices seem essentially proportional to mileage at this point, much more so than you would expect for a gasoline car, because of the anticipated battery degradation.  Particularly for an early model car (with the old battery chemistry) from a hot climate like AZ, battery damage is a real concern.

These cars are dirty cheap, though, because there are so many other EVs coming on the market now with better battery technology.  Including the new leafs.  That's really pushed the prices down.

I think the question is whether or not you really want a zippy 2013 small car.  If you do, you're unlikely to find a better one for a comparable price than a used leaf.

Comparison: In March 2016, we bought our 2014 S with quick charge option, seat heaters, updates lizard battery. It was manufactured in July 2014, and leased in MO in Sept 2014. Had 3,800 miles on it when we bought it. So we essentially bought a 20 month old car (July 2014-March 2016) with 3,800 one leaser miles on it.

We sold a 2005 Ford in fair condition that was starting to need major repairs. The 2005 Ford was purchased used in March 2006.

We spent $8k out of pocket on the new to us Leaf (including sale of $5k on the 2005 Ford Explorer).

For our purposes, the Leaf is our daily driver. We also use it to visit siblings out of town, 45-60 miles away, and the car does fine. Note: both siblings have 220v chargers at their homes.

We did invest $600 in a 220v open source home EV charging system. Best investment ever. We have a system that will earn us the 30% federal tax credit due to wallmounting brackets. However, we have a homemade system of adapters and we travel with it to aforementioned siblings' homes.

Our second, rarely used car is a 2006 Toyota Camry, with 71k miles on it. Used only for rare long road trips.

We researched the Leafs extensively before purchasing. It's a great daily driver. I would recommend a 2014 or newer, garaged only, since you live in AZ.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 06:40:16 PM »
I would. I got my Leaf, same year, for a bit more than that, and I love it. I usually get a 75-80 mile range (the weather affects this considerably), but I rarely drive more than 20 miles a day, so that's plenty.

Note that for me the environmental benefits were a major factor in my decision. It was worth a little extra to stop supporting corporations that do harm. (My work is next to a refinery; the pollution does immediate and direct harm to me and the people living in that area; the bus wasn't always an option, and I hated being a hypocrite both cursing the refinery and filling my car once a month with gas).

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 07:38:05 PM »
Not in Phoenix.

The Leaf has zero thermal management on the battery pack and relies on "hope and prayer" for keeping the pack cool enough to last through the warranty period.

If you're lucky, you can fry the pack and get the lizard pack.  If you're not lucky, well, tough.

If the car is kept in a cool garage at home and at work, it might be OK.  But if it's parked outside at either end, I wouldn't get a Leaf in Phoenix.  Heat kills lithium packs.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 11:17:35 AM »
A Spark EV (or Focus Electric)has better thermal management so might be a better bet in Arizona.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 12:21:32 PM »
A Spark EV (or Focus Electric)has better thermal management so might be a better bet in Arizona.

The Ford has no speed charging option, so unless you like very slow traveling, you would be stuck in Phoenix.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 12:41:07 PM »

The Ford has no speed charging option, so unless you like very slow traveling, you would be stuck in Phoenix.

Right, not a great only car.